First trip with kids - any advice?

laughinplace199

<font color=blue>AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs<br><
We will be at WDW with our 3 year old and 1 year old in October. We've been to WDW many times, but never with the kids. Any advice on what to see and do would be greatly appreciated!

This past March I took my DS (3yo) for his first trip and we had a great time. The best advice I can give, is to go at your kids pace and take plenty of breaks. When my DS seemed to be getting tired we headed back to the hotel for a rest. It worked out great, no meltdowns the whole trip! Granted we didn't even make it to Frontierland in MK but this trip was for my DS. Take time to enjoy the little things, my DS loved feeding the ducks at the resort.

Also, if you are not sure how your kids will be with the characters, go to the Character Caravan at the resort, this was a great first experience with the characters for my DS. There wasn't a lot of people around the characters and my DS could approach them slowly on his own. He loved the characters except the Queen of Hearts, he would run the other way whenever we saw her, which was quite frequently (LOL!).

I would suggest going to see Playhouse Disney at MGM, it was great. Also, try to go to a character meal.

As I said we didn't get to do some the things we have done on past trips (w/o a child) but this was by far the best trip.

Have a great time.

My wife and I took our 8 month old son last October. It was the first time that we had been with kids also. I would suggest going at there pace. It was a lot of fun watching him. I would suggest spending a lot of time in Fantasy land. Some of the rides I would do:

Small World
Pooh
Buz Lightyear
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Indy cars

When the little one got tired we headed back to the resort, CBR. Our son also loved feeding the ducks at the resort.

make sure lunch is somewhere airconditioned, like the counter service restaurants

have a water plan, saw people there this last May that were about ready to pass out. Water is 3-3.50 per bottle, so if you don't want to pay that, bring it in your stroller, and make sure the kids drink, whether they want to or not. We brought empty 20 oz gatorade bottles filled with ice from the hotel and carried about 10 bottles a day in the parks, and re-filled.

Suncreen before you leave your hotel, my kids wouldn't sit still otherwise.

We were in WDW in March for the first time with DD4, highlights were the parades and shows! I considered skipping them, but I'm sure glad we didn't. She loved to see the characters this way - very exciting.

I also agree with the above posters --do a character breakfast/dinner - very fun! And don't forget the cheapest things can quite often be the most fun - i.e. a ride around the park on the monorail!

You won't see as much as you did before, but you will have twice the fun! Enjoy!

Thanks for the tips! I'm sure they'll help us to have a great time!

Keep your perspective! Your children are very little. Even with two, 7 and 10, we took daily breaks from the parks.

While I went with big ideas about what our family would accomplish, a couple of hours at WDW changed all of that. It was a lovely family vacation but an active one.

It is a wonderful place; be sure to enjoy it at your family's speed.
My kids loved the pool at WL just as much as our park visits!

penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter