Flex pay annual pass - beware!

bsusanmb

Childhood sweethearts married on the Magic 6/2/13
Last year I bought DH and I AP's via flex pay. We are not roller coaster enthusiasts, so I didn't plan on getting another one. I got a post card in the mail about 10 days ago, and buried on it where I usually don't look, it said that unless I notify Universal 30 day prior to my passes expiring, they will automatically review for another year. Ok, so I go home and get the passes, but there is no date on them anywhere. No address on the post card where to mail the letter. So, I call the number from work, and am on hold forever, can't stay on phone, put aside until the weekend. Call Sat. CS rep had to look up out names to tell me when we first bought the passes. 2/6/05 - I had no idea. She said that it was on the contract I signed when I bought the passes - what contract??? I bought them on line. Told her that we are 56 years old and don't ride coasters, didn't want to renew them. we have AP to Sea World in flex pay and they don't renew, have WDW AP's and they don't renew...never heard of this... She said she would have to look up the usage - ok, we visted once or twice every time we visit WDW and walk around, see Beatle Juice and eat. So, she says there is nothing she can do - I ask to talk to a supervisor. She said she would have to ask the person in charge of the credit card debit - on hold a long time. Finally she came back and said since our renewal was recent, we could cancel - HUH, what did that mean??? Anyway, she said I could EMAIL the cancellation - HUH, the card didn't say I could - if I could have, I would have immediately. She gave me the email addy which started with cancelflexpay@ .....
My complaint is that when you show up at US to have your photo done, etc, and you have bought on line with no on face to face, it should be explained that this will automatically renew. The pass should also have the date you purchased on it - how are you supposed to know this??? :confused3

I am sorry you had such a bad experience.

Before you complete your final purchase on the flex pay tickets, you have to check the box that says you have read the terms and conditions of the tickets. This is what was meant when she said you had "signed the contract." By checking the box, it says you have read and have agreed to the terms of purchase. You cannot proceed to final checkout without having the box checked. In the terms, it does state that the passes will be automatically renewed.

And just FYI - in case you ever do buy the passes again - you can log into your AP account online with the numbers on the pass and it will tell you when your expiration date is.

That said, the person helping you was absolutely wrong in the fact that when they renew your annual pass, it is on a month to month basis. You cannot cancel your original 12 month pass, but you can cancel your renewal at any time. Here is the 2nd paragraph from the terms and conditions:

I agree that the Passes will have an initial term of twelve (12) months and will be automatically renewed after the first twelve-month term, on a month-to-month basis until I cancel them. I may cancel my renewed Passes at any time after the first twelve-month term has expired. All cancellation requests must be submitted in writing to the UO Annual Pass Department, 1000 Universal Studios Plaza, Orlando, FL 32819.

So, if they give you a problem about wanting to cancel your passes now, they are in the wrong.

bsusanmb said:
Told her that we are 56 years old and don't ride coasters, didn't want to renew them. :confused3

uh, do you mean when we are 56 we won't be able to ride the roller coasters?

oh my..........no one told me........... :lmao:

macraven said:
uh, do you mean when we are 56 we won't be able to ride the roller coasters?

oh my..........no one told me........... :lmao:

You're only as old as you feel. I just passed 56 and I LOVE coasters.

It would probably be good customer service to make sure that everyone who starts one of these receives an additional letter through the mail, or when they activate it at the parks, that also mentions this. It is known that the vast majority of people do not read all the terms and while holding someone to those terms is legal, it is not always the best way to treat your customers. A postcard was better than nothing, but a little more effort could have been made. I'm sure GE, NBC Universal, and so on get real nice bulk mail rates.

Ultimately, though, the burden rests with the consumer to make sure they have their own ducks in a row.

Goofy, is correct. You can cancel anytime after the 12 month contract is up. It isn't in fine print; it is just part of the contract that you should read before signing anything. Actually this is the first complaint I have heard about this. Most are happy they don't have to remember renewal dates with their flex-pay annual pass. I am suprised you never saw the charges on your credit card. That would be my first sign that the passes were still active.

As far as being 56: I am 55 and they'll have to pry my cold dead fingers off the Hulk when I am in my nineties. ;) (Sorry for stealing the slogan from the NRA)

I stopped at 39. Sure the math gets confusing sometimes,(what year did I graduate?) but its a small price to pay. :teeth:

Well, 56 with high blood pressure and motion sickness, I should have said. Wish I liked coasters, they look so fun, but we went on the Mummy and I thought I was going to die on the ride....won't do that again.

What the customer service person at Universal said to me was that the pass just renews itself for a year - there was nothing I could do to cancel it. I said I would just cancel it on my credit card, she responded, "You will be turned over to a collection agency".

I did see the charges to my credit card, but it would make sense to put the date on the annual pass - Disney does and so does Sea World. To me, the consumer, it seems like a scam to continue paying for something you do not want. If not, the date would be on the pass, and you would be informed that the pass was going to renew long before it does - not after the fact.

The Hulk looks so great - but DH and I were afraid on the Terradactyl (sp)!

There is a reason the date isn't put on Universal annual passes. It is because you keep the same pass from year to year. At Disney, you get a new pass each year. At Universal, when you renew, the date is just changed in the computer. No need to get your picture taken again, etc.

You were given the wrong information on the phone. Sometimes that happens. The fact is, is that you cancel anytime after the year is up. It must be done in writing though. This is for your protection. That way an angry ex-husband's can't cancel or someone with a similar name can't cancel your flexpay.

I'm so sorry about your high blood pressure. But just know that there is tons to do at both IOA and Universal that are not thrill rides. Hopefully, everything was resolved on your flexpay. Sounds like you got someone on the phone who didn't know what he/she was doing or didn't understand what you were asking.

bsusanmb said:
I did see the charges to my credit card, but it would make sense to put the date on the annual pass - Disney does and so does Sea World. To me, the consumer, it seems like a scam to continue paying for something you do not want. If not, the date would be on the pass, and you would be informed that the pass was going to renew long before it does - not after the fact.

The Hulk looks so great - but DH and I were afraid on the Terradactyl (sp)!

I cancelled ours because I wanted to reset the expiration date. Did you not get the letter before that postcard? I received a letter in the mail from Universal about 2 months before they were going to expire, explaining again the policy on renewing automatically and detailing how to cancel them 30 days before the expiration period if that is what I wanted to do. This letter was followed up by the postcard you said you received. Perhaps the letter ended up in the same spot as the postcard? :goodvibes

If they didn't send it to you, then shame on them. But I have to say, my experience was "ok, enough now - I know my passes are expiring." :teeth: And it certainly wasn't "after the fact."

gee, i have high blood pressure and take meds for it but that doesn't keep me away from the rides that i love......

forget the age thing, i ain't telling.........only the phamton knows what it is...
i'll be riding the rides no matter how old i get to be.......

My stepfathers father is 81 years old. He went this summer to Jersey to ride Kingda Ka at Six Flags, and he called it weak. Thats how I want to do it. And I want to go like my grandpa, quietly in my sleep, not screaming like his passengers.

yaytezIOA said:
Thats how I want to do it. And I want to go like my grandpa, quietly in my sleep, not screaming like his passengers.

You know I've heard that joke several times, but every time I do I just burst out laughing :lmao:

No, never got a letter in the mail. Just this oversized post card that looked like it was an advertisement for Universal. Had they sent me a letter, I wouldn't have had issue!

Well, whenever I see shows about coaster enthusiasts trvelling around the country and rating the coasters, I am amazed to see so many people my age and older! I never liked coasters. I am terrified of heights. Anything in the dark is ok, but that Mummy ride was too much for me.

I dragged DH on Tower of Terror and when we got off he was white as a sheet, and was cool and clammy - though he was going to have a stroke or heart attack.

Have fun on those coasters - they are too cool! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter