Florida 14 day ban on Vacation Rentals

CmdrThor

Mouseketeer
So the Florida governor just issued an order that no new vacation rentals start in the next 14 days. For DVC if the resorts remain closed obviously it will be a moot point. But if Disney does reopen before then, how does that affect DVC rentals? How about normal DVC stays? They say they will be setting up roadblocks on the interstate. Given we have an ownership interest in DVC, would it be legal to prevent owners for checking in to their DVC resort?

Here in NJ the Governor is saying if you have a 2nd home in the shore area he doesn't want you to go there during our states stay at home order. He doesn't want people from other states or north Jersey going there and possibly spreading the virus, taxing the shores resources and possibly the limited hospitals in the area. While I understand the reason for this order I have to say if I were fortunate enough to own a home at the shore, paying what I'm sure are very high taxes I wouldn't be to very happy being told I can't go to my own home especially if I had a home with a view of the water. I guess since I don't its a moot point for me just something that I thought about...

I think the big problem in FL is that a lot of people from NY went to FL after they were told to stay at home in NY...the Governor of FL is trying to protect the people of his state.

Here in NJ the Governor is saying if you have a 2nd home in the shore area he doesn't want you to go there during our states stay at home order. He doesn't want people from other states or north Jersey going there and possibly spreading the virus, taxing the shores resources and possibly the limited hospitals in the area. While I understand the reason for this order I have to say if I were fortunate enough to own a home at the shore, paying what I'm sure are very high taxes I wouldn't be to very happy being told I can't go to my own home especially if I had a home with a view of the water.

I have a home in a resort community in the Pocono mountains. When this began, it was a little early for our members to come to their vacation homes from wherever they live full time. As soon as NY, NJ, and PA imposed rules regarding what can and can't be open, a significant number of these members came to take up residence in their vacation homes. One, from NY, is currently at the local hospital on a ventilator and not expected to make it.

I can appreciate the Governors of Florida and NJ's positions on having people come to their vacation homes.

I have a home in a resort community in the Pocono mountains. When this began, it was a little early for our members to come to their vacation homes from wherever they live full time. As soon as NY, NJ, and PA imposed rules regarding what can and can't be open, a significant number of these members came to take up residence in their vacation homes. One, from NY, is currently at the local hospital on a ventilator and not expected to make it.

I can appreciate the Governors of Florida and NJ's positions on having people come to their vacation homes.

Like I said, I get it. I can see both sides of the coin and I guess going to your vacation home to do your lockdown time is being selfish but I can understand why someone might want to do that.

Here in NJ the Governor is saying if you have a 2nd home in the shore area he doesn't want you to go there during our states stay at home order. He doesn't want people from other states or north Jersey going there and possibly spreading the virus, taxing the shores resources and possibly the limited hospitals in the area. While I understand the reason for this order I have to say if I were fortunate enough to own a home at the shore, paying what I'm sure are very high taxes I wouldn't be to very happy being told I can't go to my own home especially if I had a home with a view of the water. I guess since I don't its a moot point for me just something that I thought about...

I think the big problem in FL is that a lot of people from NY went to FL after they were told to stay at home in NY...the Governor of FL is trying to protect the people of his state.
We live in MA. Last week, the MA governor told those with second homes on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket to stay away. They don't have the services in March to take care of a summer population, and don't have the level of hospital to care for COVID patients.

I saw on the news last night that Rhode Island that they were going to be stopping anyone with NY plates from entering their state. Yes, essentially closing states to some people.

DD20 goes to college in NY ( 1 1/2 hrs from NYC), they're switching to online classes. So glad DH and she went out last weekend to pick up all her stuff--right before NY put their 'stay at home' in place...and before things get 'too' crazy with travelling between states.

Minnesota has been requesting people not go to their cabins, similar reasons. cook County has under 15 ICU beds. Doubling the population right now could be dire.

Cape May County, 25% of us are seniors, we have one hospital. People are coming anyway to their vacation home.

Clearly it is an issue, but I don't think asking people to not go to another residence they own is going to be enough. Either transportation needs to be completely shut down and enforced, or people are going to go where they want to go. This half measure response is not going to cut it.

State Troopers are patrolling the interstates looking for LA, NY, CT and NJ plates to stop drivers and advise them they need to quarantine for 14 days and not with relatives.

One city has stopped air B&B short term rentals. It’s the shore area. Not sure how it will be enforced.

The FL ban specifically targets Vacation Home Rentals. Governor DeSantis' EO excludes hotels and timeshares, so DVC and WDW not impacted by this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!