Florida Amendment 2

The cuts are making a mess of the school system and services to the elderly. More elder Floridians are going to die in their home without services as a result of these cuts, than at any other time.

It's a huge mess all around. :sad1:

The two groups who can least afford to be made to suffer will pay the highest price; our children and our senior citizens.

The two groups who can least afford to be made to suffer will pay the highest price; our children and our senior citizens.

The ultimate expression of self-entitlement is to disregard our past and our future and to focus on instant gratification. What does that say about us as Floridians? As a society?

And what does it say about what will happen next? :scared1: :eek: :mad: :sad2: :guilty: :sad1: :scared:

I don't live in Florida and I am straight, but I want to wish good luck to all who live in Florida. I really hope the amendment does not pass!!!!

It really amazes me how ignorant some people are!!!!

One of the Medicaid cuts has been scaled back, thank heaven. The Medicaid payments for Hospice were on the chopping block. Fortunately, the Senate was sensible enough to not make that cut.

A foreshadowing of things to come in FL if Amendment 2 passes:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080507/NEWS06/80507064

My mind is still boggled that this is the United States, in the year 2008, and yet laws are being passed that literally deprive a specific group of people of their human rights.

Yep. :sad2: We live in MI. It was clear from day 1 when the MI amendment was brought up that it was going to affect health insurance and the people and organizations supporting it (including the Catholic Diocese of Detroit which donated $500,000 and sent out videos in favor of the amendment) lied through their teeth denying that it would.

Up until this January GF was receiving "domestic partner" benefits from my university. Since then, she has been receiving "other qualified adult" benefits which requires numerous things that are not associated with marriage (joint residence, joint checking account or joint title to a vehicle, and being each other's will/IRA beneficiaries). Luckily my university was willing to go through the trouble to coming up with these benefits. I am worried though that these creative ways of giving partner benefits will be the next thing under attack.

I really love the town I live in and I like my university a lot. But days like this I can't wait to get out of this state (which luckily will be happening in just about 2 years when I finish my PhD).

Just moments ago in an 8-4 vote, the Miami-Dade County Commission passed the Domestic Partners and Family Health Coverage Ordinance. With today's passage, Miami-Dade becomes the 4th and largest county in Florida and the 22nd municipality to provide Domestic Partner benefits to employees and residents.

This is a huge victory and these protections will help thousands of families to care for one another. Today we are one giant step closer to providing all Florida families access to health care, hospital visitation, and the many other vital protections all our families need and deserve.

Nearly 100 organizations and supporters filled the commission chambers for today's final vote and you, our Equality Florida members, sent 7,700 emails to the commissioners to show your support. A last minute push by the far right to block or defer the ordinance was soundly rejected.

Even as we celebrate today's decision, we must go to work to protect these hard-won benefits by defeating Amendment #2 on the November 4th ballot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter