Florida university system question

zimaaaaah

Disney lover since forever
This may be a very specific question, or maybe it comes up a lot but I'm hoping someone knows the answer. If someone is part of the college program but not receiving any college credit, only being paid, can that time count toward the one year residency requirement for Florida state universities in-state tuition? For example, if she is lucky enough to get into the college program and stays 9 months, can she live and work there another 3 months and meet the one year requirement? Just trying to plan ahead. Checked on out-of-state tuition for her chosen school in Florida and basically fell over in shock. Thanks in advance for any info.

I believe that until she is married or the age of 24 - it matters where you live for tuition purposes. States and schools got wise to this a few years ago- no more I just won't claim you on my taxes. They have to be truly independent from you and even then it is difficult to prove. What school is she interested in? Fl state universities are one of the most affordable for out of state tuition.

UCF. I appreciate the information. I read thru the university guidelines on the website, but wondered what the real life situation was. It's her dream to work in the industry, so she plans to relocate to Florida. (That's her in my avatar pic; she's loved Disney forever)

It's more a matter of figuring out the logistics, and probably me being an over-planning parent. lol

I wish there was a way- Daughter is at UCF full pay OOS, so I understand. There is a new program called Disney Aspire and it helps pay tuition after you are an employee for 90 days. It does not work for DCP, but part time employees qualify. It's been hard to get an answer on if Disney will cover full OOS tuition, but it's something to think about. UCF charges by the credit hour, so if your daughter has a lot of AP credit, it can help. My daughter has an IB diploma alng with AP credit, so she had most of her general ed done before she started and we have found that it brought us down close to in state costs. Plus you don't have to buy a meal plan- this saved us a ton of money. She is in the DCP now and will be able to take another semester off to work full time again before she graduates all of that helps to cover tuition.

I wish there was a way- Daughter is at UCF full pay OOS, so I understand. There is a new program called Disney Aspire and it helps pay tuition after you are an employee for 90 days. It does not work for DCP, but part time employees qualify. It's been hard to get an answer on if Disney will cover full OOS tuition, but it's something to think about. UCF charges by the credit hour, so if your daughter has a lot of AP credit, it can help. My daughter has an IB diploma alng with AP credit, so she had most of her general ed done before she started and we have found that it brought us down close to in state costs. Plus you don't have to buy a meal plan- this saved us a ton of money. She is in the DCP now and will be able to take another semester off to work full time again before she graduates all of that helps to cover tuition.
Thanks for the information! She will have around 5 college semesters completed before she applies to the college program. She had quite a bit of dual credit, so similar to your daughter, she should have most all of her general completed. I'll look into the Aspire program details. I had seen it but not investigated. Thanks!

So she could be at Rosen- my DD is staying in her dorm at Rosen for the DCP- didn't want to move her stuff or share a room or deal with potential drama! She has several friends who work at Disney part time- which would qualify for Disney Aspire. They basically work Friday, Saturday, Sunday. The Hospitality program requires 3 internships- so she would want to get credit for the DCP. The dorm also will allow kids to stay over breaks for work and technically as long as you are taking 1 credit you can stay in the dorm. Rosen is also one of the cheapest dorms and no meal plan!!!! If you have any other questions feel free to ask or message me.

This may be a very specific question, or maybe it comes up a lot but I'm hoping someone knows the answer. If someone is part of the college program but not receiving any college credit, only being paid, can that time count toward the one year residency requirement for Florida state universities in-state tuition? For example, if she is lucky enough to get into the college program and stays 9 months, can she live and work there another 3 months and meet the one year requirement? Just trying to plan ahead. Checked on out-of-state tuition for her chosen school in Florida and basically fell over in shock. Thanks in advance for any info.

For a few reasons she would not qualify (below) ..... but also time at an INTERNSHIP, which DCP is considered, doesn't count towards time living/working in a state. She would need to get a regular job, establish a residence and then work for a full year.

From UCF:

A Florida “resident for tuition purposes” is a person who has, or a dependent person whose parent or legal guardian has, established and maintained legal residency in Florida for at least twelve (12) consecutive months preceding the first day of classes of the term for which Florida residency is sought.

Residence in Florida must be a bona fide domicile rather than for the purpose of maintaining a residence incident to enrollment at an institution of higher education.

• To qualify as a Florida resident for tuition purposes, you must be a U.S. citizen, a foreign national in a nonimmigrant visa classification that grants you the legal ability to establish a bona fide domicile in the United States, a permanent resident alien, parolee, asylee, Cuban-Haitian entrant, legal alien granted indefinite stay by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, or other qualified alien as defined under federal law. Other persons not meeting the twelve-month legal residence requirements may be classified as Florida residents for tuition purposes only if they fall within one of the limited special categories authorized by the Florida Legislature pursuant to section 1009.21, Florida Statutes (see “Qualification by Exception” below). All other persons are ineligible for classification as a Florida “resident for tuition purposes.

Living in or attending school in Florida will not, in itself, establish legal residence. Students who depend upon out-of-state parents for support are presumed to be legal residents of the same state as their parents.

• Residency for tuition purposes requires the establishment of legal ties to the state of Florida.
A student must verify that the student has broken ties to other states if the student or, in the case of a dependent student, his or her parent has moved from another state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!