Flu shot poll

I'd talk to your pediatrician. Our pediatrician is just starting to get vaccines in. If they were available and I was taking my LO, I'd get him the flu shot, largely due to the number of international tourists at WDW. Although not flu season here yet, in other parts of the world it is.

If it's available and will be effective in time for your trip, you could certainly get it. Ask your pediatrician. It's a personal choice on whether you think it's essential or not.

We don't get flu shots. I don't find them to be any more effective than not getting them. In fact, the one year I got them for the whole family, was the year the flu ran through our house 2-3 times.

All 4 of us got our flu shots last weekend.

I didn't want to chance getting sick while traveling. I know the chances are low, but I was going get the shot anyway (either now or later).

My doctor office said it takes 2 weeks for the shot to work. So if you get it make sure you get it 2 weeks before your trip.

In case you are interested, the CDC has an interactive flu map (FluView) that shows how influenza has spread through the country during current and previous seasons. https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/main.html Sort of fun to look at (if you’re a nerd like me).

Most seasons, flu season doesn’t really pick up until mid to late October at the earliest and can stick around until March or April. That’s why most recommendations are to wait. But, as you will see from the flu view page, it usually starts in the Southeast and can rarely start as early as mid September. So it may be kind of a guessing game as to whether you would be better off getting it earlier vs. waiting.

I agree with others... talking to your pediatrician and making a decision based on your individual situation is probably best.

We always get are flu shots at the beginning of Sept. The doctor has never said anything about having to 'repeat' the shot for longer protection.

In case you are interested, the CDC has an interactive flu map (FluView) that shows how influenza has spread through the country during current and previous seasons. https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/main.html Sort of fun to look at (if you’re a nerd like me).

Most seasons, flu season doesn’t really pick up until mid to late October at the earliest and can stick around until March or April. That’s why most recommendations are to wait. But, as you will see from the flu view page, it usually starts in the Southeast and can rarely start as early as mid September. So it may be kind of a guessing game as to whether you would be better off getting it earlier vs. waiting.

I agree with others... talking to your pediatrician and making a decision based on your individual situation is probably best.

This was cool! Also made me realize when traveling other people are traveling from different states/countries so what is going on in your region may be different in others.

We do not get flu shots in our family either and have never gotten the flu. The only time one of us has been sick at Disney was our last trip (in June) when my 18 yr old came down with food poisoning.

Go get flu shots, it's not just for you it's for everyone around you. You may be carrying the flu germs and not get sick but you can pass them on to others. Get the flu shot if you can.
Flu shots don't work a lot of the time due to the difficulty of predicting the right strains, and they are one of the worst shots in terms of preservatives used, so no thanks.

The best prevention against the flu is washing your hands.

We always get are flu shots at the beginning of Sept. The doctor has never said anything about having to 'repeat' the shot for longer protection.

I believe the only ones that should need a booster during the flu season are babies because they get two half doses spread apart.

Our doctors' offices won't get them until October. We get them as soon as they're available. The flu is no joke and I don't want it or to pass it on to anyone immunocompromised who can't be vaccinated. Infants, the elderly, etc. all deserve that protection. I would definitely get vaccinated before going to WDW because you're in such close contact with so many people, coming from so many locations. And the flu is a respiratory illness; hand washing will only do so much.

If it is available, I would get it.
ABSOLUTELY! Children and elderly are more vulnerable. We are going in October and getting it a few weeks before we go. Anywhere, where there are masses of people,:scared1: it could not hurt if you all got it before you went.

I would get the shot now. It is already circulating in the southern states.
My family gets the shots except for the one who has a severe egg allergy. She has had the flu twice in 13 years - the rest of us haven’t.

I have my son scheduled to get his on 10/4, which is a little over 2 weeks before our trip. I’ll likely stop into my local pharmacy and get mine that day as well. I keep bugging my husband about it...they typically have them at his workplace, so hopefully he’ll get one too.

If it's available, yes. There have already been cases of the flu this year. :(

November is actually late to get a flu shot. It takes about 2 weeks for immunity to build up and flu activity is usually widespread by October.

Mid-September is probably the best time to get it, so it lasts through the worst of the season (immunity lasts ~6 months).

I work for a hospital and they started giving out the flu shot to employees this past Monday. I'm going to assume they have it for patients also. I decline it every year but there were plenty of people lined up to get them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!