• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying in third trimester

KathyK

Mouseketeer
DH wants to plan a last minute trip to WDW before we have DD#2 (and before our APs expire). I will be 29-30 weeks when flying.

I have checked with my doctor, and the nurse at the office assured me over the phone that there should be no problems. I did have slightly elevated BP during my first trimester, but now it is down again.

Has anyone ever experienced a problem flying while pregnant? I have heard that the FAs can deny boarding if you appear too pregnant etc.

I'm not concerned about touring WDW while pregnant... I've done that twice already. I've just never flown so late in the pregnancy, so I'm a little concerned.

Oh, and I'm excited too. DD#1 will be 16 months and making her third trip to see Mickey. I love seeing the world through her eyes.
--kathy

kathy,

i was about 30 wks when i flew pg with dd2. I got a few hairy eyeballs from FAs but mostly just sympathy :) Be sure and ask the FA for a seatbelt extender so you can fit the belt low and tight across your lap UNDER jr

My DH got a great new job offer out of state when I was 36 weeks along! We needed to house shop and my Dr. STRONGLY advised against flying.... but that was at 36 not 30 weeks. I'd say if your Dr. says it's ok then go for it. Just take care not to over exert at WDW!:D

If your Dr says it's o.k. then go for it. My dr told me that I couldn't fly after 32 weeks. I flew at 29 - 30 weeks, and it wasn't great, but not unbearable. I got VERY swollen from flying, even getting up a couple of times to walk around. Also, since it was in January and I flew to Florida, I also got VERY swollen and uncomfortable from the temperature change. That actually was the worst part. I couldn't do too much at all, because of all the water retention. I had to lay down with my feet up, every afternoon for at least 2 hours after only being out for a couple of hours. I hope you have a great trip, and have better luck than I did.

Thanks for the information, all.

I booked the flights this morning, and we're all set to go. Woo Hoo for DH suggesting a last minute trip. I am really looking forward to going one last time as a family of three.

--kathy

If you use health insurance you might want to check with them (as well as the airline) about any restrictions. I realize your dr. ok'd the trip - but just in case you get down there and have a problem make sure the insurance will pay! I remember some conversations I read on an expecting board when I was pregnant about insurance companies not covering expenses if you travel out of town after a certain time in your pregnancy. Guess I'm more sensitive to this cause I went on bedrest very unexpectedly around 32 weeks! That would be one heck of a medical airlift back home from Disneyworld!

Carol

I flew to Disney World at 32 weeks and Maui at 34 weeks(different pregnancy's). It was suggested by the airline to get a note from my Dr. saying it was OK to fly. The airline never asked for the note, but I felt better knowing I had it! Each time my doctor ok'd the trip (under her guidelines!) and they were a much needed get away before the baby's came! Good luck and have fun!!

I flew in the 3rd trimester with both pregnancies with no trobule. One suggestion I would make is to ask your doctor for your medical records. My ob/gyn sent me with an envelope full of papers whenever I left town.

Also, as everyone has said, be sure to drink lots of water, wear loose clothing, eat snacks, and take walks at least every hour.

Have fun!

--Mainebound

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter