Flying to & from Canada on different airlines

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
I'm looking at airfare to and from Vancouver, and the best option for us now seems to be booking separate, one way tickets with different airlines. So we'd fly one airline going to Vancouver, and a different airline back. We'd have to book them separately, as one way tickets each way. Would that pose any issues for border crossing and customs? Also, is a 90 minute layover in Canada (we'd have to fly into Calgary before continuing onto Vancouver) enough to deal with customs and get to our next flight in time?

I'm looking at airfare to and from Vancouver, and the best option for us now seems to be booking separate, one way tickets with different airlines. So we'd fly one airline going to Vancouver, and a different airline back. We'd have to book them separately, as one way tickets each way. Would that pose any issues for border crossing and customs? Also, is a 90 minute layover in Canada (we'd have to fly into Calgary before continuing onto Vancouver) enough to deal with customs and get to our next flight in time?
Have you looked at WestJet? We got a very reasonable round trip fare through them.

We are flying in to Seattle with South West, train to Vancouver. On the way home we are booked with Air Canada right from Vancouver. Both one way tickets. Not anticipating any border/custom issues. Not sure about lay over questions as our flight home is a non stop to east coast. I hope this helps with your question.

Have you looked at WestJet? We got a very reasonable round trip fare through them.
That's what I'm looking at. The flight to Vancouver has a great rate now, but the flight back home has a super early departure time and we'd have to be at the Vancouver airport around 3 am...with kids in tow. It's just not my idea of a good time, so we're looking at different return flight options with different airlines.

No and probably.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I think 90 mins is more than enough in Calgary... the airport is not that big (I live in Calgary) so I don't think you'd have any problems. Definitely check out WestJet, they're most people's fave, and for a good reason :)

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I think 90 mins is more than enough in Calgary... the airport is not that big (I live in Calgary) so I don't think you'd have any problems. Definitely check out WestJet, they're most people's fave, and for a good reason :)
Thank you! Is there anything you'd recommend we should check out or do while on our layover in the Calgary airport?

Thank you! Is there anything you'd recommend we should check out or do while on our layover in the Calgary airport?

90 minutes should be fine to get thru customs and get to your next gate, but it’s not like you’ll have time to leave the airport. I’ve been there only once, a few weeks ago. It’s just an airport - and I actually spent a long time in the security line relative to similarly sized airports. I don’t recall anything special to see there...

90 minutes should be fine to get thru customs and get to your next gate, but it’s not like you’ll have time to leave the airport. I’ve been there only once, a few weeks ago. It’s just an airport - and I actually spent a long time in the security line relative to similarly sized airports. I don’t recall anything special to see there...
Did you have a layover? So you have to go through customs, and go through security again for a connecting flight?

Did you have a layover? So you have to go through customs, and go through security again for a connecting flight?

I did not have a layover there - but I have seen that in other airports where you pass through customs (ie first point of entry) you have to collect your luggage and then recheck it and go thru security again.

Not really, honestly... only thing that comes to mind is Bernard Callebaut chocolates, they're delicious and local to Calgary! Or if you've never been to a Tim Horton's it's a super Canadian thing most people love...

I haven't flown internationally since we went to Mexico last year and we didn't have a layover so I can't tell you any recent US customs info but in the past we've never had a problem, always pretty quick. We're off to Miami in a couple weeks for a Cruise though so I can update you after if you want!

Not really, honestly... only thing that comes to mind is Bernard Callebaut chocolates, they're delicious and local to Calgary! Or if you've never been to a Tim Horton's it's a super Canadian thing most people love...

I haven't flown internationally since we went to Mexico last year and we didn't have a layover so I can't tell you any recent US customs info but in the past we've never had a problem, always pretty quick. We're off to Miami in a couple weeks for a Cruise though so I can update you after if you want!
Please do update if you can, I would really appreciate it. :)

Do you know if Canadian customs is before or after security at Calgary airport? I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to go through security again, just to be mentally prepared.

For the question in the OP, that won't be a problem. We flew WestJet to/Air Canada from Vancouver before/after our recent Alaska cruise. No issues.

Do you know if Canadian customs is before or after security at Calgary airport? I'm trying to figure out if I'll have to go through security again, just to be mentally prepared.

It's generally the rule that you end up landside (out of the secure area) after clearing customs and baggage claim. You will need to go through security again.

Where is the layover? That's a short time for a connexion and it could be chaotic if your first flight leaves later than it is supposed to. I would go for at least 2 hours but that's just me.

You are not flying in, right?

“Also, is a 90 minute layover in Canada (we'd have to fly into Calgary before continuing onto Vancouver) enough to deal with customs and get to our next flight in time?”

So you’re going US to Calgary to Vancouver, right?

We did that same thing when we took our Alaskan cruise. And I’m doing it again on our next cruise in Europe. They don’t care which airline you use.

We do it all the time, although out of Toronto.

As for the layover, it all depends on how long customs and immigration takes and how many people come in at the same time. I presume that it will be booked as a single ticket and they typically don't schedule layovers that are too short although things do happen. I know that when we came back to Toronto from Barcelona a few years ago it stopped in Newark and we had to pick up our luggage and go through customs and I think we only had a very short time to do it. They had a separate area for people doing connections to pickup luggage and go through customs then drop luggage back off. You didn't go out into the main area to pickup luggage and go back in again so the lineup is limited to those doing connections not to everyone who is getting off and I don't think we had to go through security again because you never leave the secure area. So you should probably be fine.

Where is the layover? That's a short time for a connexion and it could be chaotic if your first flight leaves later than it is supposed to. I would go for at least 2 hours but that's just me.

You are not flying in, right?

“Also, is a 90 minute layover in Canada (we'd have to fly into Calgary before continuing onto Vancouver) enough to deal with customs and get to our next flight in time?”

So you’re going US to Calgary to Vancouver, right?

US to Calgary, Calgary onto Vancouver. The layover is in Calgary.

US to Calgary, Calgary onto Vancouver. The layover is in Calgary.

If you are going through Canadian Customs in Calgary, I recommend at least a 2 hours layover. We had a 90 min layover once and had to run because our flight arrived later than it was supposed to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter