Flying with Thomas Cook

ninamouse

DIS Veteran
Hi!

It's been a while since I posted (2015!) and here I am 37 days out to our next visit and I can't wait!

We are flying with Thomas Cook airlines this time as the flights were a great price - however, I have no experience flying with them long haul and hoped someone on here who has flown with them recently may be able to help me with a few questions?

Do they provide headphones for the inflight entertainment? If so, can we take our own or do we have to buy them? (I am going to upgrade to the premium entertainment package).

What are the kids meals like? I have a fussy eater and may need to think about taking extra supplies on the plane.

Do they sell extra snacks and beverages on the plane? If so, are they really expensive and what kinds of things are on offer?

Any other useful tips with flying with them would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

We flew with Thomas Cook last Easter as the rate was very competitive. We were rather disappointed with the fact that we had to buy headphones and upgrade to a better in flight entertainment package to receive more than three films but ultimately it got us to the happiest place on Earth and was perfectly fine in other areas. I’m afraid I can’t remember many details other than the above but I know my DH and I said we would fly with them again if the price was right. Have a fantastic holiday!

I'm flying with them tomorrow. I'm flying in premium though and it says I get the headphones included, so I think you might have to pay extra for them. I don't know if they use those two pin thingy's to plug in your headphones as I've never flown TC before, but I've previously bought a pack of really cheap two pin adapters and splitter in poundland I think it was. Works perfectly fine.

Here's what I'm talking about:
71FYhztCfqL._SL1500_.jpg

We flew with TC last year.

Our experience was:
headphones were extra cost (think £5) each in economy.

Food was quite tasty- James Martin (Yorkshire chef guy on telly) was the endorsement on the menu and I enjoyed it (I don’t normally eat airplane food!) kids meals from what I remember was chicken for one meal and pasta on another- I think Mac and cheese. The return flight was more limited due to not restocking fully in America. This meant some people did not get a choice in food. We weren’t fussed so much as we’d already eaten prior to boarding as we have kids.
With regards to food- you only get the one meal and some very questionable squash as a refreshment (adults may have also got a coffee or tea... I think I didn’t touch the tar like drink we were offered!) We planned ahead and took a picnic too. 8 hours on a flight with one meal was not enough for my snackers!! We bought drinks from boots before boarding - drinks both myself and kids would want like juice, coke and milk...

In flight food was expensive. Included the usual (a small can of Pringles for about £2.50, a bag of sweets for about £3) and everything was an extra cost. Beverage was limited again in the return. I think My DH has a can of larger for about £6. I even asked for my daughter some drinking water and they were going to charge me she wouldn’t drink the questionable squash. Even the flight attendant made some comments about it not being very drinkable and an ‘aquired taste’!!! They got me a spare bottle from premium economy from someone who didn’t want theirs..... I couldn’t believe they didn’t even have drinking water available for free!! That was on the outbound flight too. We had drunk all of our drinks by then and she was struggling with air pressure so needed a drink.

What was good is that they came around with some menthol stuff that you smell to help with air pressure. Liked that!

As for entertainment- we took tablets loaded with films, programmes and games so we did not upgrade. To us, the upgrade didn’t seem worth the cost as we’d take our own devices anyway. And the package didn’t seem to be that up to date....
Our return flight was an air tanker plane and they had TVs above the seats, every 6 rows or so... again didn’t bother us as it was a return sleeping flight! Don’t think it was possible to upgrade on that flight as it was just what was being played on the screen so no choice.

It’s worth it for the savings going TC but I did miss the virgin ‘luxury’ We fly with virgin again next month (although they are in our bad books now with the change to their seating tiers in economy.... different story lol!)

Have a magical trip!!

When we flew out to Orlando earlier this month, you could use your own headphones. We got them included in premium, but the the sound quality in them were so poor both me and DH chose to use our own.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!