Food at Fort Wilderness

DisneyMom2000000

DIS Veteran
I'm wondering how everyone plans their meals at Fort Wilderness. We are staying for a week, with five days total of park hopping. Staying in a motorhome. I know we will plan to have most breakfasts and early dinners at the campsites, with lunch out at the parks.

What are your favorite, easy breakfasts and dinners for camping?

How is the food that you can purchase at FW?

By food do you mean groceries or restaurant take out meals?

As for meals you cook you have to think of what equipment you have available in your motorhome but most will say stuff like crock pot meals.

Breakfast:
Breakfast sandwiches (we have one of those little appliances to make these - quick and easy, especially with pre-cooked bacon)
Oatmeal
Regular old scrambled eggs
Mickey waffles (again, we have the maker in the RV)
Peanut butter toast
and we always have fruit on hand - as a vacation splurge I usually buy some pre-cut fruit from Publix

Dinners:
We usually do a few pre-made freezer meals - either for grilling or for crock pot
Regular pre-made burgers for grilling
Pasta and sauce
I pre-grill and cut up some chicken breasts and keep them in the freezer - then I buy bagged salads with all of the fixings, easy to throw some chicken on top
and we always keep a frozen pizza or two in the RV freezer

Lunches or snacky stuff:
Cheese and crackers (sliced cheese can double for the breakfast sandwiches too)
Hummus
Chips and salsa
Pre-cooked taco meat (again in the freezer...my RV freezer is usually filled to the gills) to make grilled or microwave nachos.

Oh, and our last visit we met up with some friends who happened to have an overlapping stay. They brought over fixings for individual grilled pizzas: tortillas as the base, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, pre-grilled chicken, onions, peppers, just all sorts of stuff. That was fun and easy!

ETA: We usually do at least one meal at Trails End and sometimes get takeout from the takeout window next door.

Breakfast sandwiches (we have one of those little appliances to make these - quick and easy, especially with pre-cooked bacon)

You can also buy precooked eggs and sausage patties at Walmart. You then just need a microwave and a toaster for whatever breakfast bread you want and add butter and cheese. This is my breakfast every weekday morning. This morning I used a Cranberry English Muffin.

But yes for tent/car camping we either buy precooked meat (sausage and bacon or even Spam in individual packets) or precook it at home. One of our go to car camping meals is tacos with the meat precooked and pre seasoned at home, Seal-a-Mealed and frozen. then just need to bring everything else.

We are tent camping and plan to do cereal on morning EMH days and make pancakes French toast bacon etc on regular park opening days ( we are early birds and have to be at the parks an hour before opening) we also do lunch in the parks and take our own snacks/drinks ( everyone carries their own little backpack) to help save money. Suppers are a split with us. We have a few favorites we have to do ( hoop de do) but plan to grill most other nights. Food at the park can kill a good budget and waistline so stick to your plan as much as possible with a few splurges ( dole whip, Mickey bars, turkey leg, the list can be long)

You can also buy precooked eggs and sausage patties at Walmart. You then just need a microwave and a toaster for whatever breakfast bread you want and add butter and cheese. This is my breakfast every weekday morning. This morning I used a Cranberry English Muffin.

If you're not sodium restricted you can go that route :)

Breakfast:
Oatmeal
Regular old scrambled eggs
Mickey waffles (again, we have the maker in the RV)
Peanut butter toast
and we always have fruit on hand - as a vacation splurge I usually buy some pre-cut fruit from Publix

Dinners:
We usually do a few pre-made freezer meals - either for grilling or for crock pot
Regular pre-made burgers for grilling
Pasta and sauce
I pre-grill and cut up some chicken breasts and keep them in the freezer - then I buy bagged salads with all of the fixings, easy to throw some chicken on top
and we always keep a frozen pizza or two in the RV freezer

Lunches or snacky stuff:
Cheese and crackers (sliced cheese can double for the breakfast sandwiches too)
Hummus
Chips and salsa
Pre-cooked taco meat (again in the freezer...my RV freezer is usually filled to the gills) to make grilled or microwave nachos.

Oh, and our last visit we met up with some friends who happened to have an overlapping stay. They brought over fixings for individual grilled pizzas: tortillas as the base, sauce, cheese, pepperoni, pre-grilled chicken, onions, peppers, just all sorts of stuff. That was fun and easy!

ETA: We usually do at least one meal at Trails End and sometimes get takeout from the takeout window next door.

Wow! This is SUPER helpful! Thank you!

I didn't know that sandwich maker was a thing... but I googled it, and immediately added it to my Amazon shopping cart! How awesome is that thing?! Thanks again!!!

I have growing farm kids who are like hobbits.

For early park days, we make a big bacon, sausage, egg breakfast. Around 10, they're looking for second breakfast in the parks.

It's vacation...eat like it!

Most breakfasts and dinners we eat at the Fort are just normal ones we cook here at home too.

I would love to make a bunch of things up ahead of time, but I always go crazy cleaning lady mode before hand and premade meals just don't happen much.

I do hope to bake a few things for the trip down.

The large frozen lasagnas, pre-prepared frozen taco meat, and browned beef for spaghetti sauce, or manwich, pre-made chili (put it in a large pitcher to save space), the frozen preformed hamburgers or frozen sliced steak for philly sandwiches, a good meatloaf will last several days along with a potatoe casserole you can just microwave like leftovers. Also, a good ham in the fridge goes a long ways. I don't get fancy with an outdoor setup, but a small grill and/or stove helps keep the splatter outside.

Whatever you do, you MUST eat the buffet at Trail's End at least once per trip.

Wow! This is SUPER helpful! Thank you!

I didn't know that sandwich maker was a thing... but I googled it, and immediately added it to my Amazon shopping cart! How awesome is that thing?! Thanks again!!!

I would check some reviews on the sandwich maker. If its the one I'm thinking about, it doesn't toast the muffin so you end up with a "raw" muffin with an egg stuck to it. You know like raw toast is bread. :)

But if it works for you and you need to make a lot they also make a double one and also a burrito one.

I would check some reviews on the sandwich maker. If its the one I'm thinking about, it doesn't toast the muffin so you end up with a "raw" muffin with an egg stuck to it. You know like raw toast is bread. :)

But if it works for you and you need to make a lot they also make a double one and also a burrito one.

Yes, do read the reviews and tips for this thing. You want to be sure it is good and hot before you put the egg in, otherwise it can leak. Our sammies always have crispy muffins/bread, on the outside. The inside is hot of course but not crisp since it is in contact with the other fillings. That might not be for everyone, but we're fine with it. We've used standard english muffins, Udi's gluten free, some organic ones, regular and low sodium and gluten free bread cut to the right shape/size, they all work. We have one at my office too, folks seem to like it. One woman uses frozen waffles for her bread...haven't tried it yet, but she does it a lot so it must be good!

I've been intrigued by the burrito one, but not intrigued enough yet to buy one. The reviews don't seem to be as glowing for that one.

Aaaaaand, as is the custom around here, we've veered off topic ;)

The reviews look pretty good! I think we would use it for english muffins. I like getting off topic about food, hahah!

Yes, do read the reviews and tips for this thing. You want to be sure it is good and hot before you put the egg in, otherwise it can leak. Our sammies always have crispy muffins/bread, on the outside. The inside is hot of course but not crisp since it is in contact with the other fillings. That might not be for everyone, but we're fine with it. We've used standard english muffins, Udi's gluten free, some organic ones, regular and low sodium and gluten free bread cut to the right shape/size, they all work. We have one at my office too, folks seem to like it. One woman uses frozen waffles for her bread...haven't tried it yet, but she does it a lot so it must be good!

I've been intrigued by the burrito one, but not intrigued enough yet to buy one. The reviews don't seem to be as glowing for that one.

Aaaaaand, as is the custom around here, we've veered off topic ;)

Oh I wish we could bring a lot of meals made at home here in Canada but unfortunately the US Border frowns on a lot of things like fruit and meat and fresh veggies that we would like to bring in so we have to hit the grocery store on our first night. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, there are things you get in the States you can't get at home so our meal plans frequently go by the wayside. This trip in April we will definitely be doing Trails End - never been in the few times we've been.

The reviews look pretty good! I think we would use it for english muffins. I like getting off topic about food, hahah!

Think is still on topic but you just have to taylor your cooking to the amount of food you can store, assuming you have some sort of refrigerator, and what you have to cook it with. The second is probably the bigger issue.

We tent camp with 2 coolers, a two burner propane stove, an extra single burner we use if I bring the Coleman camping oven oven and minimal pots and pans. We also camp where critters up to bears can visit so it has to be stored securely. We precook the meat mostly to save fuel and to save clean up of the grease.

We never take raw foods like hamburgers, even frozen, since they can start to thaw and bleed in to the ice.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, there are things you get in the States you can't get at home

May I ask what? I know people that visit from say the UK take odd things back like normal drugs like ibuprofen.

May I ask what? I know people that visit from say the UK take odd things back like normal drugs like ibuprofen.
Different breakfast foods or at one time before we found it up here was pancake mix you just added water to the container, shake it and pour. But I agree the meds like Tylenol and Ibuprofen are available in larger containers and for much cheaper. But on the flip side, Canadian brands aren't always available in the US.

morrik5,

I used the pancake mix that you pour water into the container this past trip at Halloween. Wal-Mart now sells it under their store brand but before that it was available from Bisquick (sold at WM) which got us through a lot of Boy Scout camping trips.

Mom, our approach is to fire up the charcoal grill on the day we arrive/set up (which typically is NOT a park day for us) and cook a bunch of meat that goes into gallon zip lock bags and into the fridge which we can warm up in the microwave for dinner during our trip. Burgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, and steaks all get cooked. This past trip steaks were eaten that night with french fries from the TE Takeout. A sliced tomato was the veg. You can also take out mashed potatoes and gravy and also mac/cheese as a side. For burgers and dogs you need buns, condiments, and a bag of chips.

You can also bring microwaveable mash potatoes, mac/cheese, sold in the fridge section of the groceries. And then on the side we use the tomato, canned peaches, or some other fresh fruit/veggie side dish. These go with the steaks and chicken. I prefer to do the serious cooking (as in the meats) one time while I'm on vacation. Then reheat and use easy sides during the trip.

Bama Ed

at one time before we found it up here was pancake mix you just added water to the container, shake it and pour.

Yes if you have to make pancakes, this is the only way to go particularly if you don't have a real sink to do dishes. Cleaning up the bowl is a major mess.

But one other group camping tip I've read is zip lock bag omelets. Requires eggs and omelet fixings, gallon zip lock freezer bags and a pot of boiling/simmering water. Never done it so if interested look here. Besides recipes there is some better discussion than a few years ago when I looked into this on if you should be using the bags at all. For our precooked foods we use a Seal a meal so just have to plop the bag into boiling water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=zip...ts&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

morrik5,

I used the pancake mix that you pour water into the container this past trip at Halloween. Wal-Mart now sells it under their store brand but before that it was available from Bisquick (sold at WM) which got us through a lot of Boy Scout camping trips.

Mom, our approach is to fire up the charcoal grill on the day we arrive/set up (which typically is NOT a park day for us) and cook a bunch of meat that goes into gallon zip lock bags and into the fridge which we can warm up in the microwave for dinner during our trip. Burgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, and steaks all get cooked. This past trip steaks were eaten that night with french fries from the TE Takeout. A sliced tomato was the veg. You can also take out mashed potatoes and gravy and also mac/cheese as a side. For burgers and dogs you need buns, condiments, and a bag of chips.

You can also bring microwaveable mash potatoes, mac/cheese, sold in the fridge section of the groceries. And then on the side we use the tomato, canned peaches, or some other fresh fruit/veggie side dish. These go with the steaks and chicken. I prefer to do the serious cooking (as in the meats) one time while I'm on vacation. Then reheat and use easy sides during the trip.

Bama Ed

Great ideas, thank you!! I definitely like your idea of getting the real cooking the day we get there. We arrive Saturday, and are spending all day Sunday at the Fort, so that should work perfectly. Park hopping Monday-Friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter