Food, Fatigue, and Fun-- A Thanksgiving/Holiday 2022 Trip Report (Report Completed 8/6/23)

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry you had a less than stellar experience at Universal. I've only been once myself and had a similar experience - no resort advantage, heat, crowds, stores that are true to the "universe" but not at all built to accommodate the actual volume of shoppers, did I mention heat, and rain. I'm not sure if they offer it but I would pay to do a Harry Potter VIP tour where you got some special access.

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry you had a less than stellar experience at Universal. I've only been once myself and had a similar experience - no resort advantage, heat, crowds, stores that are true to the "universe" but not at all built to accommodate the actual volume of shoppers, did I mention heat, and rain. I'm not sure if they offer it but I would pay to do a Harry Potter VIP tour where you got some special access.

I agree, it would be great if they could offer a standalone HP experience of some sort. It's hard enough to stomach the "gotcha" of having to buy a 2-park ticket if you want to ride the Hogwarts Express. We obviously were willing to spend $1,000 for just Harry Potter, and after the experience we had I would have paid SOME more to at least have gotten a good/great experience out of it. I can't imagine I would've been willing to pay VIP prices.

Sheesh, the HEAT though...

POST #9: SAT NOV 26- MOVING DAY
GREAT BREAKFAST, GOODBYE CARIBBEAN, HELLO POLYNESIAN, AND HELLO BROTHER!

Everyone was more than ready to turn over a new leaf, in more ways than one. This was check-out day from the Moderate resort portion of our vacation and check-in day at the Polynesian! In addition, there were absolutely NO park plans which was going to serve as a very welcome respite. We also would be welcoming my other brother and his girlfriend to join us for the 2nd half of the trip!

I also, personally, was looking forward to shedding one thing which had become a bit of chore over the course of the first week-- Mousewatchers dining alerts. My subscription just so happened to have been scheduled for another month renewal this Saturday, and having now essentially secured all the tougher-to-get dining venues on our list, I told my brother the day before (he had his own subscription as well) that I was ditching it from here on out to avoid the renewal charge. No more frequent buzzes on my smart-watch with a notification that would send me to my smartphone to try to rush to grab up a new availability. Today's breakfast would serve as a great send-off to the service with our reservation at Topolino's Terrace, which I would not have been able to get without the alerts (you'll recall our Day 1 unsuccessful attempt at an early walk-up). We actually, as a group, had some optionality with a few times "hoarded"-- my mom and brother's family decided they wanted to sleep in, so they would forego Topolino's that day and instead go there on a different reservation Sunday. For our 4, we wanted to stick with the Kona Cafe breakfast res we also had for Sunday, so taking the Skyliner one last time over to Riviera from CBR on Saturday made the most sense for us.

What a restaurant, and what a breakfast! Topolino's was such a blast, and a great way to start a fresh new day after the rough day the day before. Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Daisy-- all of them were brilliant! It really revived the Disney fun and the character interactions we love in a Disney World vacation. The food (and coffee!) were excellent-- I had the Quiche Gruyere, which was fantastic, and my wife had the Sour Cream Waffle. Both the kids had the Mickey Waffle Dippers (older daughter keeping the Mickey waffle streak going!), and our server was kind enough to put our 10 year old down at the kids price. 14 year old got extra waffles, haha.

1673402129413.png
1673402238407.png

I don't have a picture of it of course, but Donald's (and anyone in the restaurant within view) heart melted for a young infant at one table who was fully decked out in a Donald Duck outfit. Spending a few minutes out on the terrace at the end of the meal, overlooking the water and Caribbean Beach was a real nice capper. For us, it was a real nice overview looking out at the resort where we'd spent our first week.

1673402460960.png

Our plan next was to head back over to CBR to leisurely walk around the resort a little bit and take some final photos with the Christmas decor. On the way back was our farewell to the Skyliner that, again, really serves the CBR resort so well and made alot of things super convenient.

Goodbye Caribbean Beach!!

1673402726642.png

Hello Polynesian!!!!!!

1673402792382.png

Oh my gosh, it IMMEDIATELY felt INCREDIBLE to be at this resort. This... was... the vibe. The vibe we were looking forward to for 2 years (really, 4 years since the last Disney vacation). The vibe we were ready for. The recent renovations make it feel really fresh, so so welcoming. Our 4 were the first in the extended family to arrive at Polynesian (around Noon), and our group text chain was active with updates from each of the other groups on their individual ETA's. I now need to distinguish my two brother's as Brother #1 (the one with wife + 5 year old daughter, who stayed at POFQ on Week 1) and Brother #2 (the youngest of the trio, just arriving at WDW along with his girlfriend). After notifying the front desk of our arrival and getting our leis, our 4 spent some time in the Bou-Tiki gift shop off the Polynesian lobby (where I bought a shirt) while waiting for everyone's arrival. Brother #1's family and my mom arrived from POFQ shortly after. And not long after that, Brother #2 and girlfriend pulled under the porte cochere and got out of their airport shuttle! It felt great finally having our full group together, ready to embark on a great week at this wonderful resort, after all the anticipation. We did do a little bit of exploring around the resort while waiting for our rooms to be ready (and I'm pretty sure our 4 took a quick dip in the Lava Pool), which wasn't until the stated check-in time around 3pm.

And my, my, the room itself did not disappoint. Again, as with the resort itself feeling so refreshed with recent renovations, the room was as well. Fans of the Moana theming here in this family. The other two groups had standard view rooms and were placed in Rarotonga. Our 4 had booked an upgraded Pool view and were placed in Samoa facing the Lava Pool. Here's the view!

1673404085172.png

As goes with any check-in day, so goes settling in with all of our stuff. We had felt a bit like slobs while staying at CBR-- we didn't really tidy up much at all and stuff was pretty disorganized. But my wife and I didn't want to "spoil" this room, so we pretty diligently organized everything and the room actually pretty quickly felt like a home away from home. I did some laundry as well. During the process of getting some of the stuff from our car, I spotted characters making an impromptu visit at the porte cochere, so I grabbed my younger daughter for some photos with Goofy and Pluto!

1673404581223.png

I forget what we did for dinner-- I assume we tried out Capt Cook's for the first time. We were a bit struck by how small it was compared to Centertown Market at CBR. It is a 50-year old building after all, so I get it, but we never really did warm much to Capt Cook's. That really turned out to be the only thing we didn't LOVE about the Polynesian.

Actually, scratch that! I remember now! We DID ultimately end up getting some food for the kids at Capt Cook's, but I had been hoping to check out the Tambu Lounge. Our 4 and Brother #2 / girlfriend decided to see if we could make that work for a quick casual bite. Instead, there wasn't really anything for the kids there and us adults just ended up sticking with our drinks only, as we were running up to the point where fireworks would be starting at the Magic Kingdom. By the way, I got the Lapu Lapu (the drink heavy on alcohol, served in a pineapple), so yeah that kept the vibe going!

Finally it was time to end the night with one of the real prime features of this resort-- Magic Kingdom fireworks on the Polynesian beach. We slipped in right as the show was starting and enjoyed what probably was the most peaceful and least stressful fireworks viewing of the entire trip. You obviously don't get the entire experience that you do in the park, but what a great way to end a much, much, MUCH more relaxing day. Polynesian, thank you for curing what ailed us.

1673405324042.png

NEXT POST...
Tonga Toast, Errands, and a Christmas Party That I'd Describe as Merry But Not Sure I'd Call Very Merry

Oh, man, what a Universal day! I love the Harry Potter areas, but they are NOT fun when it's wall to wall people. I am just not sure it's worth the P2P cost if you're only interested in HP, because that's where everyone goes. We found lots of areas at the park to be nearly deserted in the mornings while Harry Potter was shoulder to shoulder, masses of people. And often there are massive lines just to get into one of the quick service restaurants. We went over Christmas and had fun, but I doubt we will be back any time soon.

Yeah, I've so enjoyed following along on this trip.

New DVC member with GF as my home resort. We should've done this a long time ago. Also, I hadn't found DIS before and am so glad I've found it. Great information everybody. Keep it coming.

POST #10: SUN NOV 27- REST DAY + MVMCP
TONGA TOAST, ERRANDS, AND A MERRY (BUT NOT VERY MERRY) CHRISTMAS PARTY

Sunday was setup to be a day of rest (mostly). We'd be able to enjoy our new resort, rest our legs/feet/bodies, but still scheduled our Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party for this evening.

In a previous post, I'd mentioned that our extended family took diverged breakfast plans for Sunday-- with Topolino's reservation available (and a later one at that allowing them to sleep in), my brother #1 his wife and daughter decided to eat there. The rest of us-- party of 7-- kept our original pre-trip plan of breakfast at Kona Cafe. Nice and simple walk from our rooms to the Great Ceremonial House, perfect fit for a casual rest day. Our reservation was for just after 9am which also wasn't terribly early. The restaurant had just re-opened a few weeks before from their renovation, so it had a nice refreshing feel that IMO felt integrated with the other resort-wide recent renovations and the guestrooms. The food at Kona was, delicious! I think 4 or 5 of us got the famous Tonga Toast. While I did really enjoy it quite a bit, in my own opinion it's maybe a little over-hyped. I am a sucker for POG juice though!

1674131183138.png

With no clear agenda until the Christmas Party which allowed a 4pm park entry, we were free to diverge again as all of us felt fit. Brother #2 and his girlfriend went over to Disney Springs (I neglected to mention in the post for Saturday, that they spent part of their arrival day there as well). I believe my mom went back to her room to simply rest. Brother #1's family with their later breakfast reservation I think ended up having that eat into their early afternoon with travel and all that.

As for our family, as per usual whenever we had a break from the parks, the plan was going to mostly be POOL TIME. After getting back to our room after breakfast, wife and kids did start by resting in the room, and I needed to finish a one more load of laundry so I started on that. This morning, my wife and I had also had a fun idea to hang some Christmas lights in our room window, so since we hadn't brought any my plan was to make a quick trip out to Target/other to get some while the laundry was in the dryer. One other "errand" would be added to my little mini-trek off-property-- on our drive down from PA, right around once we entered Florida, our car's A/C seemed to stop working. This had led to my wife "suffering" a bit every time we got into the car during the last week, so while all I had the capacity to try during vacation was to swap out the cabin air filter to see if that would do it, that was on the list. In heading out to the Poly parking lot, I discovered a parking spot that apparently had seen a car fire the previous day and had also spread to heat damage on the two adjacent cars (man, can't imagine the enormous headache of something like that happening while on vacation at WDW!) Hope everyone was ok and that their insurance dealings were hopefully not too painful.

1674131972994.png

My errand trip took much longer than I'd hoped. I had started by GPS'ing to the nearest Target, which turned out to be one of their smaller-scale stores that had reduced offerings. So, no Christmas lights there. I had to drive a bit further to a Lowe's (where I DID find Mickey Ear christmas lights! perfect!) and slightly further yet to an Advanced Auto Parts for the car filter. The filter swap was a quick task but did NOT solve the A/C issue, oh well. All told it was about 90 minutes and about 1pm by the time I returned to the Poly and picked up my dry laundry. Meanwhile, wife and kids had already started off at the pool and my mom joined them. It was time for me to get my own pool time in too! I'm too active of a person I guess, I took 90 minutes out of my rest day to do all this!! We loved the Lava Pool, and I myself enjoyed the waterfall which felt therapeutic to have the water fall over my legs. My wife, mom, and I also each, of course, got ourselves a frozen drink from the poolside bar!

1674132215707.png

The pool time seemed to go quick, as by 3pm or so we wanted to be starting to gather to head over to the Magic Kingdom. Our full group had ordered matching Disney/Christmas shirts for the occasion, so we got into those and planned to meet at the GCH monorail stop. But first, I stayed behind in the room a few extra minutes to hang the Christmas lights in the window, since we decided it'd be a nice surprise for our kids for when we got home from MK (you'll see a photo of the lights later on from after-dark!).

We did end up getting to MK, I dont remember exactly, but slightly before the 4pm allowed entry time perhaps, and the line to get in was massive as they had the line snaking around every which way and the end of it was all the way over on the walkway towards Contemporary. But, it moved quickly and we were inside relatively quickly.

There wasn't a specific game plan for how (and what) to tackle at the Christmas Party. Brother #2 and girlfriend were just now getting their first taste of park time, and its just the 2 of them, so their priority was going to be rides and less-so on Christmas offerings. Brother #1 and family really wanted to see Jack Skellington and Sally, along with other party-specific offerings. Our family, and my mom, were also more about seeing what was party-specific to try to feel as festive as possible. The parade, show, etc. To start off, there were no dinner plans so everyone was going to just be getting quick service at MK. So, while we walked up Main Street and got in line for our coveted group family photo, I started a mobile order for my 4 at Casey's Corner. The line for the photo took slightly longer than I expected even though we were 3rd in this particular line, so I had to work with the cast members at Casey's a little bit to get my order straightened out (I had been confused by the harsh notices in the app that told me I was too late and that I'd still be charged-- so in haste/panic I re-ordered it again not wanting to have a hungry family waiting, when really I could have just talked to the staff to work it all out; they fixed it all for me!). So, the 4 of us ate our hot dogs while Brother #1 headed to the Jack/Sally meet and Brother #2 and mom headed to Haunted Mansion, where we would meet them.

Oh, and here's the full group!

1674133049356.png

Since they let Party-goers in at 4pm which I think was 2 hrs before non-party goers would be sent out of the park, my daughter's DAS pass still had a little bit of effectiveness (I wasn't sure whether it would stop for the party-- it did). So, we were able to quickly get onto Haunted Mansion after eating. A few of us actually ended up doing the ride twice due to DAS making it a quick opportunity, while my wife decided to skip that and brother #2 and his girlfriend hopped over to get Splash and BTMR in.

I don't know how time goes so quickly, because around this time I remember cast members starting to usher non-party guests out and checking our wristbands and all that. But it also was I think another hour before the official party time at 7pm. We head over towards Frontierland where we would again re-assemble as a full group, my mom got some food at Peco's Bill, and that would allow us to start the party-specific offerings in Adventureland (hot cocoa station, Jack Sparrow meet). 7pm hit and we did those couple of things, but Pirates of Caribbean was down, and Jingle Cruise line was too long. So, we'd try the nearby Moana meet & greet. That line proved too long for our desire, so Brother #2 and girlfriend split off to go do rides, while the rest of us met Aladdin & Jasmine. Genie came out right after so Brother #1 and his family did that, but my family chose to do the Magic Carpets ride instead. I believe it was at this point we decided to try Moana one more time and the line seemed more palatable at this point, so we hit that.

Next, with our immediate family's (and mom's) priority being the parade and fireworks, we decided to stake out a spot for the 830ish parade. I knew that it would be lower crowds if we waited until a later one, but I just knew my kids/wife/mom were just not going to make it super late, so this is what needed to happen. Brother #1's family went off to do rides and other character meets. Plan was to then immediate segue over to a spot for the early fireworks show in the hub. We made our way over to Liberty Square so that we'd be near the hub, and found a decent spot next to the Christmas Shoppe with just a few people in front of us.

Unfortunately, mom's feet just really couldn't take much more. She sat on a bench behind the Shoppe while my immediate family and I watched the parade-- WHICH was enjoyable, but really IMO was not all that different from a normal Magic Kingdom parade. Which, is fine, but perhaps a bit underwhelming given the emphasis we placed on it.

Things did not really improve for the fireworks. The crowds were less for the party fireworks than they were for Enchantment a few nights prior, but not by a ton. Even 40 minutes or so ahead of the show, there really wasn't anywhere where my mom was going to get relief from her feet. We found a spot to stand that had a perfectly good view, but both of my kids were starting to get VERY tired, younger daughter was even starting to let her eyes rest while we waited. My wife was not doing well with the crowds, and even walked away to try to gain a break from the other people (somewhat spurred by a guest in an ECV backing up their vehicle to within inches of us).

Maybe 15-20 minutes before the show, my mom decided she needed to remove herself from the crowds as well, and to seek out a place she could sit. She also decided her night would be over after the fireworks. With my younger daughter not even really awake, I asked if she wanted to go with my mom so that she could leave and go sleep right afterwards. She decided yes, she wanted to do that. SO, although I briefly thought about encouraging her to stick it out so she could see the MK fireworks closeup (recall, attempt #1 at this was less than ideal) but I didnt want her to force her to stick around if that was her choice. So, my mom and younger daughter head towards the front of the park and would simply catch what they could see from there. While this was all going on, we were taking in the castle stage show from afar which was cute enough but overall, just FINE. The theme/story was pretty cheesy.

Wife, older daughter, and I watched the Minnie's Christmas party fireworks from the middle of the hub, had a good view, and it was, FINE. Maybe it was dampened a bit by not having our full family there, but it was also somewhat overcast/cloudy so not the best night for fireworks.

1674138353354.png

I also knew that after the fireworks were over that my wife and older daughter had had their fill as well. And, indeed, they did leave right after the fireworks and met my mom/younger daughter on the way out. Wife agreed she had no problem with me staying to meet my Brother #2 and his girlfriend to hit a few more rides. I learned later that mom and younger daughter didn't really see much of the fireworks from where they were. So, FAIL #2 for my younger daughter to really get the full Magic Kingdom fireworks experience. I ALSO learned in texting back and forth with wife on her way home that they accidentally got off at the TTC and experience some additional stress in trying to figure all that out.

As mentioned I met up with Brother #2 and his girlfriend to join them for a few more rides. I recall doing Space Mountain and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I also remember getting 1-2 more of the party cookie/treat offerings, but was highly underwhelmed by that also. Brother #1 and their family ended up staying literally as long as you possibly were allowed to be in the park, with their ball of energy 5yo. I dont know how they do it.

So, all in all, the Christmas Party was QUITE underwhelming. I would not pay that amount of money for it again, if I were to ever do it again at all. It just was not different enough from a normal Magic Kingdom experience. I dont know what it was about our whole trip, but being in Florida maybe with their climate, just never really got us into the level of "Christmas"-y mood that we were hoping for on this trip. But anyway, we still had some fun, we experienced what we experienced and we paid what we paid, and we move onto the next day. Which would be a return to Epcot!

Sorry if some of the last few posts have expressed too much disappointment. I do think we kept our expectations mostly in check during this entire trip but having some disappointment I guess was just inevitable. Like I said we still had fun, and we still had most of a full week in front of us!! And at the end of the night, after all, I was returning to this... (see the lights for our room!)

1674139008379.png

NEXT POST...
Dole Whips, Loving the Lights, and a Harmoniously and Generally Disappointment Free Epcot Day

POST #11: MON NOV 28- EPCOT
DOLE WHIPS, LOVING THE LIGHTS, AND A HARMONIOUSLY LOW-DISAPPOINTMENT DAY!

After a full week at Disney World, during one of the busiest times of year at that with all the crowds and the $29 Genie+ which that entailed, we were now (at least partially) recharged from our rest days and ready for what we hoped would be a much lower-key set of park days this week.

Waking up in advance of 7am on this Epcot day, seeing the $20 price for Genie+ seemed a welcoming harbinger of sorts that was less about the money and more about the indication that maybe, truly, the crowds would be significantly lighter this week. Ha, looking back at my text messages I'm reminded of some heavy frustration at the 7am reservation process-- this being the first Genie+ day with a group of 10, modified by my mom deciding to stay at least the first 1/2 of the day at the resort, further modified by brother #1's family's plans to spend a good part of the Epcot day with local friends of theirs. I don't need to get into the details but there was plenty of confusion (as is easy to have occur when this is the system Disney sets up) on who was going to try for Guardians VQ, and delayed text responses, etc. Long story short, each group would essentially be going mostly separate ways for most of the day so we should have just had each group "fend for itself" with reservations so to speak. Anyway, all good-- our family of 4 went into the park day with VQ for Guardians, a Genie+ reservation late afternoon for Remy's, and of course we still had older daughter's DAS.

So the 4 of us started with Capt Cook's breakfast-- we were settling into our standard Poly breakfast routine of mobile ordering Capt Cook's, wife and I going to pick it up, stopping upstairs at the Kona to-go stand for better coffee and pastries, then bringing it all back to eat in the room with the kids.

Wife and I decided that we'd prefer to take the monorail to Epcot and the easiest way to do that seemed to be to walk to the TTC so that's what we did, setting out maybe 815-830, not quite early enough for the 8:30 resort guest early entry time but that's fine. It was a nice leisurely stroll through the DVC portion of the resort on the walk to the TTC. We ultimately arrived at Epcot at about 9am and it was IMMEDIATELY apparent that, THANKFULLY, the crowds were indeed much, much, much lighter-- to the point where I was already questioning having spent the $80+ on Genie+ especially having the DAS pass. I believe that we started by heading to Guardians, where wife and I would ride together (she hadn't ridden it yet)-- older daughter decided to skip it this time and sit with her sister on a bench while we went in, and we got them donuts at Joffrey's to keep them company.

Next we head over to Soarin' and Living with the Land where all 4 of us did both. Again, time moves quickly and it appears that nearly 3 hours had gone by already. How I don't know-- I assume we were just moving pretty slowly from place to place as was typical. Fortunately, in addition to lower crowds, the temperature was also below 80 (79!!) so this was truly turning out to be a much more leisurely day.

Maybe I was distracted by the lawn...

1674478596536.png

Sticking to the Future World section of the park, and planning to making our leisurely day even more leisurely by looking ahead to another resort/pool mid-day break, we decided that we'd hit The Seas with Nemo and Spaceship Earth then call it good for now before heading back to the Poly. MAN what a snoozer those two rides were-- I had forgotten how tame (read, boring-- sorry to offend anyone that may love this attraction) Nemo is. And Spaceship Earth is just really sad at this point in time, sorely lacking anything (including routine maintenance) that appears to be from the last two decades. My wife fell asleep on it! But anyway, NOT a complaint! We enjoyed it enough as part of the leisurely and more relaxed day we were having. We snapped family pics in front of the golf ball on the way out.

1674478941430.png

Again walking back from the TTC, we took a meandering stroll through the grounds of the Polynesian on the way back to our Samoa building, and in texting with mom learned that she was spending her time resting on the Poly beach, so we took our walk over along past the bungalows (talking aloud how nice it would be to stay in one of those!) and stopped to say hi to my mom on the beach for a few minutes. Lastly, before reaching the room, it was time for a nice cool treat with some Dole Whips from the Pineapple Lanai!

1674479125059.png

After another relaxing (quick) dip in the pool along with recalibrating dinner plans for later, it was time to head back to Epcot. Mom had decided that a full and complete rest day was best for her, so she continued to stay back on the Polynesian beach (I think she ended up staying there all day and watched the MK fireworks there!). We re-entered Epcot around 3:45-- I would ride an ILL on Guardians solo while my wife/kids would slowly make their way to the back of the park to meet the rest of the extended family to reunite for our Genie+ Remy's reservation. It is SUCH a long walk back to Remy's from the front entrance!! By the time my Guardians ride was over there was no time to fit Remy's in, but everyone else did it without me and I walked straight to Via Napoli. We had a nice dinner there-- our family of 4 plus brother #2 and his girlfriend. The food was very good! Brother #1's family was still with their local friends so they did something else for dinner.

1674522135045.png

It was clear at this point that the Genie+ purchase wouldn't have been necessary-- there really wasn't much time left before we would need to stake out a spot for Harmonious which was one of our priorities. We started to walk towards the front of World Showcase and briefly meandered into the China pavilion on the way. We did get one more ride in for the day by going on Frozen Ever After, where we just so happened to run into brother #1! It was unplanned but nice to meet them there for the ride. Afterwards they were headed off on another path again. My wife really was digging the brand new lights on Spaceship Earth and wanted to get photopass photos with it, so we sought that out next. We figured that we could do that at the connection pathway between World Showcase and Future World, but there were no photographers to be found. We still had some time though, and my wife really wanted the photos, so we walked to the front of the park!! But, I'm glad we did because we got my favorite photo of my girls from the entire trip...

1674522370095.png

Alright, so photos were done and it was about a little over an hour before Harmonious, so we head straight back where we came from and sought out primo fireworks viewing-- front and center, just off to the left of the little amphitheater stage thing at the front of the lagoon. This spot would work well and was only a few rows back-- at this point a few others were starting to claim their spots as well, but it wasn't crowded. With an hour to go, I was being antsy sitting there idle, so I asked my wife if she was good with me briefly taking a quick walk away from the crowd-- specifically over to the Canada pavilion. She was, so I did that and ultimately caught most of the Canada movie in that pavilion. Upon returning to the family, I could tell that my wife was starting to get frustrated with the crowd closing in on her. It was all fine-- my wife was just worried that other people who were more willing to be selfish than we were would nose us out of the spot that we had camped out early for. A few other adults (without children) were indeed somewhat inconsiderate in pushing in ahead of my kids, once the cast members started having everyone stand up and squeeze into available space, but it wasn't too bad. Brother #1 and family were also able to meet us so it all worked out fine-- much better than all of our Magic Kingdom fireworks experiences had gone so far!

WE thought Harmonious was a GREAT show! When we saw it a week prior, we were at Rose & Crown which was a spot where you miss alot. Here, front and center, I thought it was an incredible show! I'm glad that the eyesore barges will be going away soon, but I'm also really glad we got to experience this show as it was meant to be seen.

1674523194897.png

After Harmonious was over, it was a decision point. Extra Magic Hours were available to us as Deluxe resort guests (and yes we DID get the extra VQ chance at Guardians booked). However, unsurprisingly, my wife and kids were more interested in rest and sleep than rides. So, they head out. Which was fine, I stayed at Epcot with brother #1, his wife and my niece, and brother #2 and his girlfriend. The 6 of us head to Guardians, which would be my THIRD ride on it of the day-- again, totally worth it! Loved that ride again and again and again. Next was Test Track which was the last major ride that none of us had done yet-- we had a bit of a wait there but not too bad at all, maybe 25 minutes. So, final decision of the night-- there was still enough time to fit in Remy's before closing, but were we up for the long walk?? We were!! We got back there maybe 5-10 minutes before the park was closing for Deluxe guests, and the wait only ended up being about that long. Was nice to be able to take advantage of the extra hours to get a few more headliner attractions in!

On the lonnnggg walk back to the front park entrance, those of us with smartwatches took a look and we were pretty much all over 30,000 steps for the day. Definitely a record for me for the trip, and I definitely think that Epcot has the most walking of all of them! Fortunately, the heat didn't get to us too much on this day, which turned out to be a pretty darn fun one.

NEXT POST...
POTS Strikes Again, but Hakuna Matata, and More Treats at the Poly

I just found your report and I'm really enjoying it.

We were there from November 26th thru December 2nd. I'm glad we missed the really bad crowds.

We enjoy Harmonious too! It's my youngest daughter's favorite. She is very sad to see it going away. She currently works in DHS but was at Epcot before that she has seen it lots and knows it by heart.

Looking forward to more.

Wow, almost a month since my last update-- sorry to everyone who had been following along! February has been a bit busy-- I interviewed for, and accepted an offer for, a new job, and the Eagles were in the Super Bowl so I did get distracted from finishing this trip report!

I have a nice quiet Sunday today, so I'll add at least 1 update today, if not 2!

If you're new to following my report, welcome! and thanks for reading.

Last edited:
POST #12: TUE NOV 29- ANIMAL KINGDOM
POTS STRIKES AGAIN, BUT HAKUNA MATATA! AND MORE TREATS (AND SAM'S!) AT THE POLY

I will say that both heading into the trip, and in retrospect, our day in Animal Kingdom just seems somewhat of an afterthought. I think that says more about Walt Disney World in general than it does about AK-- we really DO enjoy it there it's just our "least" favorite I guess. This was our family's only AK day and we didn't feel particularly gung ho about being absolutely sure that we hit everything. I'll just say now that there was basically no consideration given to boarding the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch-- it's enjoyable enough, but in my opinion alot of time used for not alot of attraction impact. Anyway, onto the actual day, which was fun!

Breakfast, as had started to become typical for our Poly stay, involved mobile ordering Mickey waffles for the kids from Capt Cooks, and I would usually order something for myself as well while my wife preferred the Kona Cafe To-Go stand. So she and I would go pickup the mobile order then walk upstairs to Kona, where'd she pick her breakfast and I'd usually add a pastry and latte for myself. Then, head back to the room and eat it all in the room with the kids. Even though this was our only AK day, with the lower crowds this week plus access to the DAS pass, we skipped Genie+ today. I did get LL for Flight of Passage (as did other members of the extended family), but I was the only one of my 4 planning to ride that. Each group of the extended family would be more or less doing their own things again today, and since we were the "low key" group my mom was planning on sticking with us most of the day (she would head over to the park with Brother #2 / girlfriend and meet us there). Older daughter wasn't feeling that great in the morning with the POTS syndrome, so we were a bit slower, but we did get into our car somewhere around 8:30-8:45. It was around 9-9:10 by the time we were parking in the lot-- I somehow managed to stumble into preferred parking completely by accident so that worked out. Needing to take our time as usual, it was still another 20-30 minutes by the time we met up with mom and got the obligatory photo in front of the Tree of Life!

1676820445142.png

Maybe you can tell it was probably a very sunny day?? And temperature-wise, it was yet again in the lower 80's, which did not bode well for older daughter's fatigue. But all good...

Our first DAS booking would be for our favorite AK attraction, Kilimanjaro Safaris, with the window opening up around 10am. Again taking our time to walk to the back of the park, we learned that Brother #2 / girlfriend were about finished with FoP and would be able to meet us for the Safari. So, with a few minutes left still until we'd be able to board the Lightning Lane, we grabbed a nice snack for the kids and sat in the shade.

1676821084059.png

As always, the Safari was amazing! Nothing particularly noteworthy to report, but the safari is such a neat experience and fun to keep an eye out for all the animals at each turn. Our guide reported he had a sore/raspy throat but still did a great job! So hats/ears off to him. Next, with it being relatively close by, would be another favorite Festival of the Lion King (brother and his girlfriend went off to do Everest instead). We did have to push it a little bit to hit the 11am start time (fitting in a restroom break and taking in the Harambe streetmosphere along the way) but did make it and I was free at the same time to make a DAS selection for the Mickey/Minnie meet and greet. The show, as with any indoor show/attraction, was a very welcome respite from the heat and we encouraged our daughter to load up as much as possible on water to recharge. And, the show as always was great! Glad that we got to experience the full version of the show returned to what we had originally known and enjoyed from past trips.

So, as mentioned next up on the plan was Mickey/Minnie at Adventurers Outpost, and the ability to get off the most crowded path by diverting through the Discovery Island trails was a really nice way to commute over there. We really took some time to absorb and look at alot of the animal "carvings" on the tree (probably appreciating them way more then we had on past trips) and the shade was great as well. We briefly entertained hitting the Bug's Life show while we were here since it'd be a short wait, but older daughter's POTS syndrome was starting to overwhelm her and she just, well, needed some time and a break to deal with the emotion of how much her fatigue was getting to her.

We decided to continue on over to the Adventurer Outpost area and take another sit-down break and get some more cool treats. Me and my mom took my younger daughter to the Mickey/Minnie greet while older daughter continued to rest and take in another Mickey ice cream bar.

1676822454853.png

By now it was early afternoon, somewhere around 1230-1. The 5 of us were hopeful to see the Finding Nemo show, and my wife and I both wanted to do Expedition Everest, so we head over that way by walking through Dinoland. Unfortunately, on the way there and looking at the Nemo showtimes in the app, we were quite a long time away from the next showtime (maybe even 2 hours if I recall). With an ILL (for myself and those in the other groups) for FoP and a DAS LL for Navi River Journey coming up relatively soon, it seemed as though seeing Finding Nemo was unlikely to work out. Mom and the two kids sat in a shaded area in the former Rivers of Light / former KiteTails amphitheater, so that they could avoid the additional walking that wife and I would be doing over to Everest. Although we had a DAS selection for Everest, that doesn't work if our older daughter wasn't with us so we split up and did Single Rider, which was fine because we only had to wait 10-15 minutes. We both enjoyed the roller coaster-- it was actually my wife's first time on that one! She had missed it on our trip in 2018.

So, back to some more walking over to Pandora. Since I was the only one in this particular group riding Flight of Passage, I walked ahead of the group to go meet Brother #2 / girlfriend as the window for the ILL was nearing its end. Brother #1 and his family, meanwhile, had seemed to be just a step behind one of us at each turn, so we never really managed to meet up with them at all. Anyway, I was of course reminded of how great an attraction FoP is. I will say that ONLY in comparison to Rise of the Resistance and Guardians did FoP seem slightly dated, so I put it at a distant 3rd (in my own opinion) on the pecking order for WDW at-large. But still, an incredible ride, so fun. And, right after that-- my wife, mom, and the two kids were all ready to ride Navi River Journey which we did.

Despite it being only about 2:30pm after seeing the Navi shaman, our family and my mom decided that our day at Animal Kingdom would now come to an end. It was, again, pretty hot out, everyone was tired, and just not really in the mood to push ourselves. This was NOT a disappointing decision, as it was on our Universal day-- in this case, even though we missed out on Finding Nemo, Dinosaur, and Kali River Rapids, we decided that we were perfectly fine with that and instead wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon with some more pool time at the Poly and recharging.

On the way out, we got ourselves some mobile order food from Satuli Canteen and Flame Tree BBQ, but took it with us To-Go rather than eat in the hot park. We also caught some more streetmosphere and grabbed one more family photo at the entrance gate, before getting in the car and heading back to the Poly.

1676824042727.png
1676824122414.png

Upon our return to the resort, we ate our Animal Kingdom take-out in the Capt Cook's seating area and also got Dole Whips before getting back into the swimsuits and enjoying the Lava Pool yet again! Mom head back to her room for relaxation. Without any specific dinner plans made, my wife and I pondered our options while our bodies were cooling off in the pool. While we were leaning towards wanting another sit-down Table service experience, we weren't really that interested in travelling to somewhere else on WDW property, so ultimately settled on Kona Cafe for dinner. Unfortunately, older daughter really was just still not feeling great, not in the mood for a big meal, and more interested in resting further in the room. So, eating at Kona actually worked out well so that we could just let her stay in the room while the other 3 of us ate next door in the Great Ceremonial House. We were VERY pleased with our meal at Kona-- I had the Turkey Banh Mi, while my wife had the Kona-braised Short Rib, which she LOVED and which ended up making me jealous. Dessert was the AMAZING bread pudding along with a couple of the mini "dessert glasses"-- delicious!

1676824813324.png
1676824833997.png

Meanwhile, I had been texting my two brothers to see if anyone was interested in getting into Trader Sam's that night. Well yes, yes they were. Before dinner I had stopped by TS to see about the wait time, which was running about 45 minutes, so at that time I'd held off, but returned after paying the dinner bill and by then the wait time had actually gone down to 30 minutes, so I put our name in. My mom, my wife, and Brother #1's wife decided that they would pass and instead rest with the kids, so ultimately our group ended up being 4 of us: Me, both brothers, and Brother #2's girlfriend. I am SO glad we got to experience Trader Sam's! Although all of us are a little more on the introverted side and less into more overtly interacting and all that, it was alot of fun to take in the atmosphere, all the shenanigans at each drink order, and just overall have a nice time. I had a Spikey Pineapple, and a Hippopoto-Mai-Tai "Two shots of rum!!" Unfortunately I don't have any pictures from our time there but we enjoyed it quite a bit.

All in all looking back at this day, I felt really badly for my older daughter that day as it was one of the days she was most affected by her syndrome. Still, I think (hope) she had a nice day and all of us were perfectly satisfied with the amount of time we spent and what we got done at Animal Kingdom. Tucking myself into bed that night, I remember in the moment feeling highly satisfied that I was experiencing pretty much everything that the Polynesian resort has to offer-- which made me feel like I was getting my money's worth for that high price tag. This day in particular really enforced the Poly in my mind as something that really made this vacation special.

NEXT POST...
More Magic, Beauties at Bibbidi Bobbidi, and the Final Fireworks Failure

POST #13: WED NOV 30- MAGIC KINGDOM
MORE MAGIC, BEAUTIES AT BIBBIDI BOBBIDI, AND THE FINAL FIREWORKS FAILURE

We were now starting to feel the end of our trip coming 😢 with the arrival of our last of 3 Magic Kingdom days. The priorities were pretty clear, focusing on the rides and attractions that we'd either not done yet, or wanted to be sure to ride one last time. We'd take Genie+ in addition to the DAS pass today for the greatest flexibility. We also had a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique appointment for both my younger daughter and my niece for late in the afternoon, which was not an ideal time but it's what was available (maybe better to not have 2 girls in big heavy dresses though on yet another hot day, on the other hand). Hopefully, we'd cap our final MK day with a magical fireworks viewing in the hub... (aren't I GREAT at foreshadowing??)

Breakfast this time was Capt Cook's again, but we ate there instead of in the room, since my mom was joining us. It was a bit later of a start as we didn't start eating until just after 9am. The 5 of us thought it would be fun to take the small ferry boat over to the park from the Poly marina, so that we could cross another item off the Polynesian bingo card, haha. Plus my wife really likes boats.

1676833845659.png

We got into Magic Kingdom around 10:15 and head towards Pirates of the Caribbean, which had been down alot during our trip so far and so we hadn't gotten to ride it yet. Brother #2 and his girlfriend met us there and we got through that successfully and enjoyed that perpetual classic. I am not quite sure whether we did anything else before hitting the 12pm Festival of Fantasy parade, I don't believe we did. A proper viewing of the parade was another thing we hadn't yet completed. With our group, I got us a DAS return time for the LL viewing area for the parade, so that we could get some good views without fighting the crowds on, I'll repeat, yet another hot (80+) late November day. This turned out to be a great decision, it was incredible to have plenty of space around us and still have optimal parade viewing, right in front of the castle.

1676834648283.png

Younger daughter (playing Wendy in the upcoming school play) taking in the Peter Pan/Jolly Roger float):
1676834531730.png

Great success! Next, the vast majority of the extended family had a lunch reservation for Cinderella's Royal Table. There were a few exceptions-- Brother #2 and his girlfriend, who were less about characters and more about getting onto the rides. And myself. I suppose I should have wanted to enjoy the meal with my wife, daughters, and other family members, but early on in the planning process of the trip I wasn't really interested in returning to CRT. I had already experienced the full princess meal experience with my girls at CRT in 2018 and I have that as my memory. There wasn't really anything pulling me back there, so I went solo while those 7 family members enjoyed that meal. For this trip, that was the beauty of both having extended family there, as well as with my kids being older and having already experienced this character meal. I wasn't feeling it so I had the flexibility to do my own thing for a bit.

I started with my own quick meal-- a mobile order from Sleepy Hollow. I got the sweet and spicy chicken & waffle sandwich, along with the Doom Berry drink (basically just ginger ale with food coloring). The sandwich was excellent!

1676835275177.png

Next, I would've liked to hop on a ride or two, but it was a busy day in the park and all the standby lines were longer than I thought I'd be able to pull off before meeting up with the family (they also were longer than I cared to stand in any line). I'm not sure why I wasn't able to use a G+ selection-- it most likely was already used up for something later in the day. So, I decided to go to... Tom Sawyer's Island????

There's a bit of background to this-- on our very first family trip to WDW in 1993, Brother #1 had an absolutely legendary MELTDOWN at Tom Sawyer's Island (he was 6 at the time, I think). My parents had a camcorder and had videotaped some of it, only for us to discover at some point in the future that we couldn't find the footage. The family joke became that my brother erased the footage and it was something we'd refer to frequently when reminiscing about WDW. So, on this day, with some time to kill, I thought it'd be fun to escape crowds and return to the scene of the crime as a bit of a lark. This was the photo I sent on our group text chain with the caption "First time on this island in 30 years..."

1676835867720.png

I actually somewhat enjoyed the quiet time on Tom's Island. It's VERY quiet over there. Has anyone here been there? Why is this still here? Did you know there's a fort back there? A fort that actually has nooks and crannies that I actually felt a little strange discovering-- they struck me as somewhere I wouldn't want my kids to be by themselves just because of how isolated/hidden they seemed within this massively populated park that is Magic Kingdom. On the walk back I took in the view of the Liberty Square Riverboat as it passed by, which was also peaceful and strangely serene.

1676836239821.png

One more funny moment within this Tom Sawyer side-jaunt, as I stood in line waiting for the ferry "back" to Adventureland. I look down at the group text and see this photo, without any caption:

1676836393896.png

Brother #2 had spotted me in the wild!

I soon head back towards Cinderella's Castle to meet the family, who had had a nice, long and relaxing meal inside. It was about 3pm when they came out. With the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique reservation being I think around 5:45, we had roughly 2-1/2 hours left to do what we wanted to try to fit in. Brother #1 and his family went their own way and my mom stuck with us while we head into New Fantasyland.

We were actually pretty efficient with this time and fit alot in! With the combination of G+ and DAS selections, we rode Winnie the Pooh, Journey of the Little Mermaid, and Dumbo (during which we were threatened with a possible thunderstorm rolling through-- which did NOT come to pass!) in pretty short order. We then took a short break over at Big Top Souvenirs and got some sweets and lucked out that I noticed a Chip N Dale meet and greet starting momentarily. I noticed a cast member idling and asked them if the characters were about to come up and she said yes, so I slyly got my kids first in line unbeknownst to other nearby guests.

1676837364175.png

We had just two things we were trying to squeeze in before BBB-- my wife and I had G+ for Space Mountain so we head towards Tomorrowland next. However, we took a quick detour through the Hub on the way because we wanted to try to get one more family photo in front of the castle. Which, we did! Then my wife and I got to our Space ride in and out pretty quickly-- wife was happy about that, as she had not gone on Space yet this trip.

1676837559716.png

Time for the Bibbidi appointment-- this was another experience that I had already had with both of my girls in 2018, so with a slightly limited number of family members that they would let in, I let everyone else go in except for me, while my plan would be to start staking out a spot for the Enchantment fireworks in the inner hub. At this point, Brother #2 and his girlfriend were still on other rides but they'd be headed back soon, ideally to see the two girls in their dresses and hairstyles before the fireworks.

I did ultimately stick around the area outside BBB waiting for my family to walk over from the shoppe itself to the castle-- a process that took about 40-45 minutes. I "enjoyed" watching cast members shuffle around tons of strollers while I waited. Soon enough they all came out on their walk over to the castle salon and I saw them off, before walking over to the hub at around 6:30-6:45 in advance of the 8pm showtime. At this time, the hub was already starting to fill in. Keeping my mother in mind and her high difficulty standing for long periods of time, I selected a trash can to lean against and claim as our area. This would prove to be a difficult task with a single person...

TO BE CONTINUED (as I can only attach 10 photos at a time)....

Attachments

• 1676838127189.png
    1676838127189.png
    591.7 KB · Views: 2
POST #13 (MAGIC KINGDOM) CONTINUED:

Meanwhile, inside the castle, magic was happening:

1676838770285.png
1676838803822.png

I was leaning against my trash can and texting back and forth with my wife for updates. Shortly after 7pm (an hour before Enchantment), I started to see the Photopass photos roll in on the MDE app and my wife informed me they were all done.

So in terms of what happens next, you'd have think we'd have learned our lesson from earlier in the trip, as it relates to messing with the crowds at the MK fireworks. We clearly did NOT. Maybe we felt a bit more comforted by the fact that I had a spot held and there was still an hour. In retrospect, I think my wife and the rest of the family made the right choice, given that we'd all just shelled out some good cash for these makeovers. We had no idea going into this that there was a photoshoot-type experience setup at Sir Mickey's next door to BBB which allowed for additional photo opportunities. Worth the extra time, I mean look at this, how could you not take the time to do this as well...

1676839192438.png

Then, we became probably just stupid.

We had a DAS time reserved for meeting Cinderella, and at around 7:10 they got into the Lightning Line thinking it would go quick and it'd be another way to eke some more magic and princess time out of the makeovers. That was indeed true, but the line moved slowly and time was running out before the coach turned back into a pumpkin. We were texting trying to figure out what to do, around 7:30... at this point I'm still completely alone trying to hold a prime fireworks viewing spot, for 10 people, which was REALLY hard and I have to be appreciative that all the people around me were not pressuring me to give up some of my wiggle room even though the box around me was closing in. Brother #1 and my Mom would head over to the hub to meet us while my wife/daughters/sister-in-law/niece would hope for the Cinderella line to end in a few more minutes. With the arrival of Brother #2 and his girlfriend to help me fill in some space, I texted the rest of the group back to indeed go ahead and stay in the line for the Cinderella meet/greet. Brother #1 and mom soon made it to us! We had 5 out of our 10 in the hub spot!

The others soon got the shot with Cinderella (and Elena):
1676840103739.png

The remaining 5 made their way over... fighting crowds along the way. The minutes were ticking down to 8'oclock, and although they were getting CLOSE they weren't yet inside the tree line that would get them good viewing and ever so close to us...

It didn't happen. They got probably 20 yards from us. The heavy crowds at the pinch points getting into the inner hub were just too much for them to work through.

At that point, you know the cast members are trying to control the crowds and get everyone to move along to a safe place to park... they were forced to bail. We failed, again, to get younger daughter to the inner hub for the fireworks. 0 for 3. Worse, they were unable to get anywhere with a clear enough viewing to even see the show very well at all. Obviously we did this to ourselves, but my wife was beyond frustrated that this is the way it is in the Magic Kingdom. 20 minutes into the show I got a text from her with a choice F-bomb directed at Disney, informing me that she and the kids were getting onto the monorail and that younger daughter was disappointed (how disappointed, I'm not sure, she takes most things in stride so she probably wasn't devastated or anything). My heart sank and although the fireworks were very enjoyable from where the rest of us were, for me personally it did not make the 75-80 minutes of saving a spot worth it, with the 3 people closest to me in my life missing it...

1676840611757.png

I believe that the rest of my extended family stayed in the Magic Kingdom a little bit longer, but I left immediately along with my mom (unfortunately hobbling along the way on her bad foot) to go back to be with my family at the resort. I was pretty frustrated on the way back, with the types of things that make most people frustrated in this type of a situation-- one of them being that the cast members opened up the "resort only" monorail line to all guests. I understand why they did it, but we caught bad timing as we got to the resort-only line just as the cast members directed EVERYONE that way and a flood of people went in front of us. So my mom and I were just in "gen pop" rather than having to deal with only other monorail resort guests. Again, trying to not be too complain-y here, but it was a rough way to end the night.

Along the way, I got a text from my wife with a photo of the kids smiling on the beds in our resort room, and I felt more at ease. Soon enough, I dropped my mom off at her longhouse and was shortly reunited with my girls. The 4 of us cozied up and watched a video of Happily Ever After before going to sleep, again looking to take all the positives that we DID have in the day and to look forward to our final Disney World park day. We will always have these BBB photos...

NEXT POST...
The Last Rides, The Last Family Dinner, and Taking it All In

POST #14: THU DEC 1- HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
THE LAST RIDES, THE LAST FAMILY DINNER, AND TAKING IT ALL IN

Ooooookkkayyy, I'm behind now wrapping up this trip report, wow 6 months goes by like that and I'm now 9 removed from this trip-- let's try to bang this out while the memories are still fresh enough in my head so I can preserve it for my future self... hehe. Thanks to anyone who may still be interested in reading the rest.

As indicated in the post title, this was our LAST park day. So, we were all focused mostly on getting in things that we hadn't gotten around to yet. It also was the 3rd day at Hollywood for my 4 as well as my mom-- in retrospect really happy about having had a really full total experience at HS. The start of the day saw the 3 separate groups on different paths-- Brother #2 and girlfriend got there around resort guest early entry, My family of 4 and I were maybe 1/2 hour behind that, and Brother #1 and his family (along with my mom) prioritized some extra sleep time and a later start. At 7am we DID get Genie+ one last time ($15/person this day, HALF of what it was the prior week) and 6 of us booked an ILL for Rise of the Resistance.

As for our nuclear family, although at this point I'm not positive what we did for breakfast, I'm almost sure it was our "routine" mobile order for the kids from Capt Cook's, with me and my wife walking over to pick it up then grabbing stuff for ourselves from the Kona Cafe To-Go stand, and eating it all in the room. By 8:30am we were on the bus over to HS.

What we had planned as a group was a late morning G+ reservation for Tower of Terror, since that was the main attraction that none of us had completed yet. With that a couple hours out, our family picked up a DAS reservation for Toy Story Midway Mania which put us on a path to Toy Story Land. On the walk back there, there was a short wait for Meeting Sully which was another attraction we hadn't done yet, so we hopped on that. This was a new one for us, since it hadn't been around in 2018!

1691336598167.png

Upon tapping in at TSMM we scored another quick turnaround DAS reservation for Aliens, so we were off to a good start with a character meet and two rides completed by about 10:15-10:20am. Next, it was time to schlep our way down to Sunset Blvd for our +/- 10:30am Tower of Terror G+ reservation, where we'd meet the rest of the extended family. This would be a "Millennials Only" experience as none of the kids, nor my mother, were interested in going on ToT; so, Nana Mimi took the 3 kids over to the Beauty & the Beast stage show while the 3 adult couples went on ToT and that plan worked out really well. We did luck out here, as when we first got to the attraction, they ever-so briefly shut the ride down, but it re-opened in very short order so we didn't need to divert our track. Tower of Terror is a true classic-- I love the Twilight Zone theme, and I actually screamed my lungs out and had a hoarse voice the rest of the day!

The other 2 couples had already fit in Rock-N-Rollercoaster before ToT, so my wife and I hit that with use of a G+ reservation right afterwards. Then 6 of us trekked to the other side of the park for an 11:50am ILL reservation for Rise of the Resistance-- this was my 3rd time on it personally, and I was really glad my older daughter decided to join in on this one with me also. All in all, efficiency was really working in our favor this morning!

Woooo!

1691337357716.png

I'm not exactly sure on the precise order of things at the mid-point of the day, but we took our first break of the day with quick-service mobile order for lunch-- the family grabbed seats under shade right by Dockside Diner/Echo Lake although that is NOT where we got food from. As per usual, I'm willing to galivant off in my Dad role and truck around to some extra stops while the family parks their butts and takes a breather. My older daughter wanted french fries (which I got from Backlot Express) then I trucked back over to pickup the main courses from Woody's Lunch Box (grilled cheeses/totchos/brisket) before meeting them back in the shade at Dockside. Brother #2 and girlfriend were off on their own, but Brother #1's family was with us, and things had finally caught up to our niece-- she just wasn't having it at this point and had probably used up all of her energy in all the prior late-night park sessions (they were at MVMCP until close the night prior!!). They decided to finish up eating and it would be time for a resort break for my niece and sister-in-law, while the rest of us caught the next showing of Indiana Jones-- a welcome, welcome continued break in the shade with really really comfortable Big A$$ Fans blowing (they are really called that if you didnt know! it's a brand name). It was enjoyable to see this show again as I don't think we caught it on our prior trip in 2018, so it had been probably 18 years for me since I last saw it. We also caught the cavalcade with Santa/reindeers somewhere in there, I just don't remember whether that was before or after lunch.

The main thing left on our itinerary for the day was one of our extended family's MUST DO'S-- a large group dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe. I daresay this is probably top 3 in our family's absolute favorite dining at WDW. So, by and large the plan was to ride out the last short bit of time without straying too far from Echo Lake, so that we could minimize walking. Sister-in-law and niece would also of course be meeting back up with us. We spent this time using a DAS pass for the character greeting with Mickey/Minnie at Red Carpet Dreams and we did allow ourselves to stray just a bit with one more ride each of Mickey/Minnie's Railway and Toy Story Midway Mania. Again, we somehow managed to be really efficient with time this particular day-- crowds and weather were much more favorable today than during the rest of our trip.

The still-shot below didn't come out great but it's a still from a video of my younger daughter dancing to the Toy Solider drummers marching by in the background :)

1691338667784.png

We arrived back at 50's Prime Time. As per usual, we were split up into two ADR reservations and really really really hoping to combine them at check-in. The cast members at Prime Time were able to pull that off for us! We had just a short wait, during which we listened to the Christmas music show playing over on the main stage across the lake, and sister-in-law and niece finally re-arrived! Unfortunately for them, their break was not very restful-- we learned that they had been caught on the bus behind an accident, which ate up most of their break time and they basically needed to turn back around to the park almost right away-- ugh! Still, our niece certainly was in a much better place having had at least a mental break from all the stimulation in the parks, and she was happy to be re-united with her cousins.

DINNER TIME!! We had all been majorly, majorly looking forward to this one. Thick milkshakes, crispy onion rings, and incredible entrée options. If I recall correctly, I ordered the Sampling of Mom's Favorites because they are ALL great and I can't choose just one thing! We have always enjoyed the theming of this restaurant and the fun snarky attitude of the wait-staff. Our server, Daniel, fit into the mold perfectly, ribbing us (primarily me) the whole time and then stealing my phone to "properly" get a group photo when I was struggling on my own to fit our whole family into the shot. Haha!!

1691339327825.png

Sadly, the fun and frivolity had to start to come to a close and for my mom, this was the end of her park time at Disney World this trip. Literally on her last legs, she passed on any further park time and after dinner head back to the Poly for some more much-welcome relaxation.

Our family of 4 decided ONE MORE spin through Toy Story Land was in order. Due to the DAS pass and Genie+, we had TWO back to back bookings on the Aliens Saucers, which had become one of my younger daughters favorites. Brother #1's family came with us for one of those rides before we split off from each other and they went off into the night towards Galaxy's Edge. I believe Brother #2 and his girlfriend went off to Fantasmic.

So, our Disney Park time was now over... but the night was not quite done yet! Although I think my wife wanted to either lay on the bed or take a shower, the kids and I decided to take the opportunity when we got back to the Poly for a dip in the quiet Oasis Pool. I had gotten a solo dip in there earlier in the week and it was a fantastically peaceful break from the more active Lava Pool. Anyway, my wife missed out, because she had been wanting all week to get into a hot tub but they had always been too full-- but here tonight my kids and I had a good 30-45 minutes in the Oasis Pool hot tub! Then we toweled off and met back up with my wife before the 4 of us headed over to the Polynesian Beach for our last fireworks of the vacation... (the other families in our group caught the fireworks from their 3rd floor rooms in Rarotonga)

Another fuzzy still from a video

1691340026577.png

This was truly an enjoyable, and peaceful, way to wrap up our last night in Disney World!

NEXT POST...
Squeezing Every Last Opportunity out of Departure Day

POST #15: FRI DEC 2- DEPARTURE :(
SQUEEZING OUT EVERY LAST OPPORTUNITY AT WDW

If you've read this trip report from the beginning, you read previously that my wife and kids and I fell hard for the Poly during a Departure Day breakfast at Ohana in 2018. From our brief couple of hours at the Poly during that trip, we told ourselves that our next trip to Disney World would center around staying at the Polynesian.

It did not disappoint AT ALL during our 6-night stay there on the back half of this overall 2-week WDW vacation. I love pretty much every WDW resort I have stayed at, so it's with great reluctance that I suggest even for a second that any of them were short of wonderful, but the Polynesian was really on another level. I feel like we were able to get the FULL experience out of this resort; from multiple visits to the Lava and Oasis pools; to dining at ALL the options the resort offers; to a fun night at Trader Sam's; to the leis given at check-in; to the gorgeous property and beach; to the convenience of the monorail; to a boat ride to the Magic Kingdom; to beachside fireworks with music; to the Tambu Lounge; to the fabulously refreshed Moana-theming in the room; and of course, to the signature Dole Whips at the Pineapple Lanai.

(I'm actually wearing that Poly shirt right now as I write this!)
1691343374941.png

So, with that, I can easily skip right over the non-fun part of Departure Day (packing and loading up the SUV) and move right onto what I think is now a Disney World tradition for our family-- breakfast at Ohana on the final day. We had a 9:45am reservation. As usual, split into two actual reservations (6+4) and the cast members were able to seat us all together.

We all tried to soak it in as much as we could, while peppering in some reminiscences from the earlier parts of our trip, in between the characters all prancing around the restaurant. Lilo, Pluto, and Mickey all came around in pretty short order to visit our table early in the meal. The food was all great and we had great service. My older daughter successfully completed the quest to have Mickey waffles EVERY single day while at Disney World.

Stitch was a little more elusive-- it appeared as though he would be getting to our table soon, but then all the characters went again into their dance parade before they all took a break, right near the end of our meal. We were just about ready for the check, but the Cast Member did seem to be mindful and asked whether we had seen Stitch, and of course we shared Not Yet! Sure enough, a few minutes later, Stitch was over at our table and causing his usual antics. We snapped our photos, the kids all gave him hugs, and he was on his merry way to the next table.

Then, as I tried to get another group table selfie (and doing a poor job of it as usual), SOMEONE ran back over and did his best impression of Daniel from 50's Prime Time with the perfect photobomb!

1691344037288.png

The end of the meal, for the rest of my extended family, was decidedly the end of their Disney World vacation. They all had the shuttles arriving for their flight back to PA, so we re-gathered in the lobby for our group goodbyes. It was bittersweet as you'd suspect, but everybody left with happy smiling faces and memories of a great family experience that we'd all been waiting for for several years.

As for our family of 4, we had it in our minds from the get-go that we'd be taking advantage of one of the true PROS of driving to Disney World instead of flying, and that is leaving as late in the day as we darn well pleased! We had a little more fun planned, which started of course with POOL TIME in the Lava Pool and some final poolside beverages that had "End of Vacation Denial Mode" written all over them. My wife actually decided to do some final shopping instead and, again (!) missed her opportunity for the hot tub, as the kids and I snuck in another dip there.

1691345029010.png

When my wife returned, it was time to say goodbye to the Poly, but NOT yet time to say bye to Disney. Next up was mini golf at Winter Summerland. This was fun, if not a little dated and perhaps a little underwhelming for Disney Imagineering standards. I'm sure this type of thing was never going to get a huge budget, and we definitely had a great time, but Disney could make this much more amazing! Plus, it was very helpful in delaying our still inevitable departure from the World.

1691345340259.png

And so you might think we were done at that point.

WRONG! What's a Disney World vacation without one last meal, and so we had a dinner reservation for another location we've never been before-- Storybook Dining at Artist's Point over at the Wilderness Lodge. This was really fun! Although the food was maybe slightly on the adventurous side for most of my family, there was still plenty of options for everyone to enjoy, and the character interactions were excellent! We also enjoyed the decor and ambience of the restaurant itself, it fit in very well for Snow White.

1691345722665.png

Revisiting the WL (where we had stayed in 2018) was a lovely way to bring back some memories of that previous vacation, and a nice way to soft-pedal our way out of WDW, so we didn't limit ourselves to just the dinner-- taking in the fantastic lobby Christmas tree and decorations, walking around to take a peek at the pool we enjoyed so much, and even stopping at the one guest elevator with the beaver railing bracket (IYKYK) that my daughter became so fond of during the 2018 trip. I think going back to all those things enhance the memories of both of our trips, cementing further our memories of both.

1691346041964.png
1691346093112.png

And then, it really WAS the end... I even still remember getting back into the car at the Wilderness Lodge parking lot and thinking, well, it really is over now. As you drive off of Disney World property, I suspect most of you are like me and during that drive you look at as many of the road signs as you can, because you know they're DISNEY road signs and because it's literally the last familiar thing you can absorb while in the bubble.

With that... we strode to make the only remaining goal of our day which was to make it across the Florida-Georgia line.

NEXT POST...
Final Drive and Final Reflections

POST #16: SAT DEC 3- ANOTHER FULL DAY ON 95
FINAL DRIVE AND FINAL REFLECTIONS

Final Drive...

We did indeed make it into Southern Georgia on Friday night, and stayed specifically at the Best Western Plus in Kingsland, GA-- I do recommend this as a nice economical hotel with a free low-frills breakfast right off of I-95. We were able to book it last-minute and it fit the bill.

That Saturday morning, eating that non-Disney breakfast, certainly was different than what we'd gotten used to for the past two weeks, but we had already been out of the Disney bubble for several hours, so I think we were braced enough for it, haha. We had a nice chat with an elderly couple while we ate, and then soon head on our way North.

There's not much else to say about the drive home-- it's certainly not as much fun as the anticipation during the drive down! We did learn that our niece got to visit the airplane cockpit on their flight home! And we had as uneventful of a drive as you might want. We had strategically planned it out to have our full-day drive day be a Saturday so that we could have all of Sunday to rest before going back to school and work. We arrived back at home in Southeastern PA at 8:35 PM; very reasonable-- this Dad was pleased.

Final Reflections...
All in all, this was a truly fantastic Disney World vacation that our family will truly remember for a lifetime. We spent... alot... and we're thankful that we had the opportunity and means to do this. It wasn't perfect, but nothing is. We won't ever forget it. The following, of course, is my own reaction/experience and as reinforced by my wife's own thoughts, and some of my extended family has echoed similarly. As shared in Post #1, we're Disney every 4-5 years kinda people and not every year kinda people.
  • Our 2022 WDW vacation cost about twice as much as our 2018 vacation, and it was only two days longer (12 nights vs 10 nights). In 2018 we stayed Deluxe all 10 nights versus only 6 nights in 2022. That about says it all right there about how Disney pricing has changed.
  • We, personally, wouldn't go again during the Christmas holiday. Or, rather, I should say we won't ever go again just BECAUSE we wanted to go during the holidays. My biggest surprise was that, even with all the extremely-well done decorations and theming, to us it just didn't feel very "Christmas-y". It's probably because we're from the cold Northeast and this is Florida, but we'll go to Disney for Disney in the future and not for holiday theming.
  • Piggybacking on the above-- Mickey's VM Christmas Party, in our opinion, was really nothing special AT ALL, and not anywhere close to worth the price of admission. I wouldn't do it again, even if I found myself in WDW during that time of the year. The cookie/cocoa locations were almost laughable as was the keepsake ornament you get. It was kinda neat to see a few "exclusive" character greetings, but that was about it. The parade and the stage show were underwhelming.
  • We were worn down by the extent of the crowds, especially at the Magic Kingdom and magnified even further during the fireworks. This was visit #5 for me and I've never seen anything like these crowds. I'm sure many of you are used to it. But next time we go, we will be putting a heavy focus on a time in the calendar with as low crowds as possible.
  • The other thing that wore us down, again, was Florida weather. We were, frankly, shocked that almost all of our days were in the mid to upper 80's at the end of November. Maybe we shouldn't have been shocked, but we thought we'd be much more comfortable than we were in August 2018, and we were only marginally more comfortable.
  • Genie Plus-- I wouldn't go so far as to say this ruined our vacation or anything, but it was disappointing to be SO reliant on the system especially when it didn't work flawlessly, and the nuances were still very confusing even for my brother and I who are uber-planners and always heavily research our Disney vacations. I am sure that we fared better than 80% of "normal" Disney vacationers and it was still frustrating. My biggest gripe was the surprise price on the morning of-- it left such a bad taste in my mouth to know that on very very busy days it is a near-necessity and yet to not have any idea of the price heading into it, again, left a really bad taste in my mouth.
  • The other frustrating thing about G+ was days where we bought it but really didn't get very much out of it at all. I will say that this was probably only like 2 of the 6 days we bought it, but that's still only a 67% satisfaction rate. The dissatisfaction was more a result of thinking we NEEDED it but then ultimately really didn't use it much, because it didn't gain much. It's REALLY hard for guests to gauge what their park day is going to be like With vs Without this service, because it's not consistent. At the end of the day, "cost is cost" and they know they have you to some respect.
  • I will say that we didn't experience any significant downgrade in either service or general quality versus our last visit in 2018. It's easy to get swept up into a narrative that things have gone to hell at WDW if you absorb Disney World content very frequently, but I was pleasantly satisfied that, in general, I was happy with the quality and service and everything still "felt Disney". There's always something new to experience.
  • It's hard to really regret trying to experience the Wizarding World at Universal while our kids were at peak Harry Potter-fandom, but if you add this to your WDW vacation, really do your homework and don't just tack it on as an afterthought.
Next Disney World Vacation...
Some of our extended family is already talking about going back (Brother #2 and his girlfriend are even booked for next year), but my wife and I are in no rush at all. At this point, we've taken our two kids to Disney World twice, and they are currently 11 and almost 15. I think we've MAYBE got one more Disney vacation in us with these two before they fly the coop, but I wouldn't say it's a guarantee as we are going to prioritize other vacations with them. I think it's likely we'll have more than 5 years between this past vacation and the next one in all likelihood, so our older daughter might end up coming with us as a college student.

THAT SAID there's no denying that there's something special about Disney World, and so I'll summarize what we would do in our next WDW vacation, because we HAVE talked about what it would look like! :)
  • We would probably still go for at least 10 days as is usual for us, and it's hard to imagine that we wouldn't stay Deluxe at least part of the time, based on our past experiences. We also have come to enjoy the split stay as a way to experience multiple resorts
  • Top priority would be given to a very low crowd time of year on the calendar. Probably late January / early February
  • 5-6 nights each at 2 resorts, top choices being: Riviera (havent been), Boardwalk (havent been), Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, Port Orleans (I've been but wife hasnt) would maybe be a Moderate choice
  • 5-6 park days MAX. If this trip drove nothing else home to us, it's that our family appreciates the resorts probably more than we appreciate the parks. We need at least 2-3 more days with NO parks than we had this time.
  • We'd return to the water parks. I miss that we didn't hit one of them this time, which was partially because it was November but if we learned anything, it will probably always be warm enough there and at least 1 water park is open. We absolutely love Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks to those of you who read along with this trip report! I'll write a "bonus post" at some point, sharing some pics of my daughter's INCREDIBLE performance as Wendy in the school play.

**TRIP REPORT COMPLETE**

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter