Food not to miss?

gjdjud

Earning My Ears
Planning a first ever trip to Disneyland. Disney World veterans. 2 adults with 2 teen girls. Can anyone recommend a 2 or 3 quick service and table service locations not to miss in the parks or Downtown Disney? Thank you:)

Last edited:
Not sure how things will be in the post-virus world but for a once in a many years type of trip pre-virus, I recommend:
1. Getting a Fantasmic package. Blue Bayou is the best but I prefer grabbing dinner at Hungry Bear and bringing it to eat while waiting for fireworks.
2. Lunch at the Golden Horseshoe. Being able to watch a show while enjoying lunch makes it feel like you had more fun. The chicken is not bad.
Blue Bayou is a bit overpriced so you're paying for the ambiance.

My standard meal is fried chicken at either Plaza Inn or Flo's depending on the park because I think they're good quality for the price. They're also good for breakfast - Plaza Inn had character dining pre-virus and Flo's kids waffles put me in a good mood due to the characters on them (the taste of the waffles is nothing spectacular though). I've never been ultra impressed with the quality of food at DLR but was pleasantly surprised by Rontos Roasters. Rancho Zocalo is decent Mexican food but given that this is Southern California, you can find better places away from DLR.

In Downtown Disney, Earl of Sandwich is my go-to. I've also had good meals at Naples.

You didn't mention snacks but I like pineapple dole whip with bacon at Tropical Hideaway in DL, Lobster Nachos at Lamplight Lounge, and Wetzel's Pretzels at Downtown Disney. Bengal Barbeque is another place if you're looking for a meat based item at DL.

In Disneyland on Main St., Carnation Cafe is a must do for our family for years. We either have a late breakfast or early lunch there, depending on what time we are in DL, vs DCA. The food is great, so is the service. If the weather is good, sitting outside is awesome. I am sad to say, I always order the meatloaf. Best meatloaf, in my humble opinion. Check out the menus on the Disneyland site. They include prices. There are some threads on the boards with pictures of food so you can see portion sizes and well if they look appetizing.
In Frontierland, Rancho de Zocalo is good for Mexican food. The portions are big and filling. Myself and my 2 daughters make sure we eat here at least once per trip.
In DCA, we try to eat at Flo's in Carsland for breakfast. We usually get a fruit platter to share, and then everyone orders the food they want.
Smokejumpers Grill is a good place to grab a bite to eat. Their onion rings are good! It does get busy there. Just a little farther is the Craftsman's Grill (forever in my mind Whitewater Snacks) in the GCH, that has a decent choice of food. It was better before they monkeyed with it, in my humble opinion.
In DTD, we eat at Tortilla Joe's at least once. We LOVE this restaurant. Good food, good prices, great service. The taqueria, Tortilla Joe's take out, is frequented by dh and ds multiple times during our stay, if not here, they get Napolini's take out. The indi pizzas are a very good value. Great snack for my son! LOL
Daughters love Earl of Sandwich. I love doing the tea at Steakhouse 55 with my daughters. This is in the Disneyland Hotel. Have to book that 60 days out. It does book fast.
Depending on when you go, it seems Disneyland has limited time foods and treats that are a must to try. We tend to nibble through our trips! We will purchase something, everyone have a bite, or nibble, and if someone loves it, we take note for later. This way, it is easier on the wallet.
What is good to know if you are a Starbucks person, there are 4 Starbucks: one in DL, one in DCA and two in DTD. They carry enough choices for everyone to get something. Plus, you earn points!

I hope you have fun planning your trip during these times.

Get a corn dog from the little red wagon in front of Plaza Inn.

The Plaza Inn fried chicken is good but overrated. don’t expect it to be the best you’ve ever had.

We snack on a sour dough Mickey head from the bakery in Cal Adventure every trip.

Treat yourself to some ice cream from Salt & Straw in Downtown Disney.

Bacon Mac & Cheese from Cozy Cone Motel

Plaza Inn - get the fried chicken platter and sub seasonal veggies for double mashed potatoes ;) you know you want it
The Mint Julep Bar - mobile order your beignets EARLY! line builds fast throughout the day, but mobile order is your friend. We normally put our order in, and then jump on Pirates or Haunted Mansion. Try the seasonal ones (if available) and a normal order.
Uva Bar (DTD) - great place for a nicer sit down dinner. We sat inside when we went and got the fish tacos & the uva burger. We also got these carne asada fries that were a special. so good!
Seasonal Churro - keep a look out for whatever the seasonal churro is! When we went in Feb it was a fluffernutter churro and I regret not getting it a second time
World of Color Dinner package at Carthay Circle - what a treat! Seriously so delicious and love the reserved viewing area for WOC.

Thank you. I think we will be feeling the pressure a bit in what not to miss. Coming from the UK so more than likely a once only trip to Disneyland.

I've been to DL several times. I'm also not a foodie. Last November, DH and I went on a two-day trip together. The places we enjoyed the most were the Golden Horseshoe (lunch) and the French Market (lunch). We both loved the atmosphere and there was plenty of seating. Also, we fell head-over-heels for the beignets and mint juleps! We both decided that we'd be on a short track to diabetes if we had the opportunity to eat there more often.

Our favorites are Cafe Orleans and Ralph Brennan's. If my husband goes we HAVE to go to Ralph Brennan's so he can get the pasta jambalaya.

We also like doing the character breakfast in the park and see a lot of families without young kids. I absolutely love the french toast with the bananas foster topping. I eat myself sick every time.

I am on the fence about Tortilla Jo's. We've been five times. Two were excellent, two were meh, and one was horrible. We keep going back though because the drinks are pretty tasty.

We like Lamplight Lounge brunch and Corn Dog Castle quick service in California Adventure. Also Carthay Circle restaurant or lounge for a respite.

In Disneyland, Blue Bayou is an overpriced ambience treat every 5 years or so. 100% agree on the Fantasmic package, not for the food but for the non-frenetic Fantasmic viewing. We like Ronto Wraps in Star Wars land. Otherwise we eat wherever, nothing is hugely appealing nor offensive to us in DL. Jolly Holiday, Carnation Cafe, Cafe Orleans, Plaza Inn, Hungry Bear are all “fine”. We don’t like any of the food in Tomorrow Land but otherwise are ok with anything.

In DTD, La Brea Bakery is good. Tortilla Joes is usually good. And the UVA Bar is good.

Outside the parks we prefer hotel restaurants to DTD. For splurges, both Steakhouse 55 and Napa Rose are excellent. We love the Napa Rose Chefs counter. The pools bar at the Grand Californian (Craftsman Grill I think) is very good. Trader Sams at Disneyland Hotel is a great favorite of ours.

bon apetit

We love Jazz Kitchen in DTD, never have had a bad meal there.
Blue Bayou is a must for the atmosphere alone and we have always enjoyed the food.
Bengal BBQ is awesome for QS the skewers are amazing.
If you are wanting a really nice but expensive meal Napa Rose is another of our favorites..

have fun planning.

Monte Cristo and pommes fries at Cafe Orleans. World of Color package at Wine Country Trattoria. Blue Bayou is good for Fantasmic! once. Corn Dogs at the wagon. Chicken ala carte at Plaza (skip the sides, eat more chicken). Breakfast tamale at Flo's. Cozy Cones. Bengal skewers.

Steakhouse 55...... YUM. We always go to Cafe Orleans..... 1 Monte Cristo and 1 order of pommes frites is way more than enough for 2 adults ! Paradise Garden Grill when they have the Mediterranean skewer platters is the BEST !! Jolly Holiday is great.... good sandwiches and Raspberry Mickey Macarons !! also, the Matterhorn Macaroons.... really most goodies there, can't go wrong. Rancho Del Zocalo has huge platters and is .... fine (not authentic Mexican). The "bread bowl" soups either on the Wharf in DCA or in New Orleans Square Royal Veranda are tasty and filling. Then there are the snacks !!!!! ...... so much to choose from !!!!

Blue Bayou waterside table. The atmosphere is like nothing anywhere else or at WDW. Tigger tails!!! Seriously, I don't even like marshmallows that much, and these things are like food of the Gods to me. I waited years to try one (since I'm not a huge marshmallow fan), and finally after years of seeing people raving about them online I tried them - and was hooked. Can't get them anywhere at WDW. They are at the candy store near the Pooh ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!