Food Options for Hilton Head?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
I am trying to plan our first trip to HHI and am curious about the dining options. We stay at Vero once a year in the fall and while we love dining out on vacation--sometimes we just want to relax and not leave the resort or get ready for dinner. Since the refurbishment at Vero we were satisfied with the Quick Service options for lunch and dinner when feeling lazy. I know HHI does not have a full service restaurant onsite--does the quick service have all day hours similar to Vero? Are there any restaurants with take-out within easy walking distance that one of us could walk over a grab to take back to the room? delivery services? Thanks for any helpful information--there is not much information to be found on HHI from my searches!

Right across the marina from the resort there are several dining options - Scott's Fishmarket, Bistro 17, La Fontana, Mediterranean Harbour, San Miguel's, ELAs Blu Water Grille. These are all an easy walk from the resort and can be seen from the resort. http://www.hiltonheadisland.com/where-to-eat-in-shelter-cove/

Nearby, but still a comfortable walk, at Shelter Cove Towne Center are Hickory Tavern, Poseidon's, World of Beer, Wayback Burgers, Kilwins, Jane Bistro, and Giuseppi's Pizza (which dies deliver). There is a large Kroger there and a Whole Foods nearby too. http://www.sheltercovetownecentre.com/dine/

A short drive away are Alexanders, Sea Grass Grille, Sante Fe Café, Red FIsh, Bonefish, One Hot Mama's, Black Marlin, Marley's, Ruby Lee's, Hilton Head Diner, Stellini's, Catch 22, Michael Antony's, Charlie's, Crane's Tavern and many more.

HH has over 250 restaurants with something for everyone. The CMs at the resort will be happy to make some suggestions and several of these mentioned also offer a discount for guests staying at the DVC resort. The counter serve at the resort is not open all day long, but does offer breakfast and lunch items. In season, the Beach House also has a quick serve dining option - also with limited hours of operation.

Right across the marina from the resort there are several dining options - Scott's Fishmarket, Bistro 17, La Fontana, Mediterranean Harbour, San Miguel's, ELAs Blu Water Grille. These are all an easy walk from the resort and can be seen from the resort. http://www.hiltonheadisland.com/where-to-eat-in-shelter-cove/

Nearby, but still a comfortable walk, at Shelter Cove Towne Center are Hickory Tavern, Poseidon's, World of Beer, Wayback Burgers, Kilwins, Jane Bistro, and Giuseppi's Pizza (which does deliver). http://www.sheltercovetownecentre.com/dine/

A short drive away are Alexanders, Sea Grass Grille, Sante Fe Café, Red FIsh, Bonefish, One Hot Mama's, Black Marlin, Marley's, Ruby Lee's, Hilton Head Diner, Stellini's, Catch 22, Michael Antony's, Charlie's, Crane's Tavern and many more.

HH has over 250 restaurants with something for everyone. The CMs at the resort will be happy to make some suggestions and several of these mentioned also offer a discount for guests staying at the DVC resort. The counter serve at the resort is not open all day long, but does offer breakfast and lunch items. In season, the Beach House also has a quick serve dining option - also with limited hours of operation.

Thanks Doc! So the resort itself does not offer any dining options in the evenings at all for dinner? Any snacks or bar food available after lunch hour? We are big snackers and usually stay in a 1 bedroom so we could stock up with some ice cream bars and treats upon arrival if I know what to prepare for.

Does anyone have a "go to" delivery they use? This will be our first trip to South Carolina, so I am just trying to educate myself as much as possible. Goggle maps shows San Miguel as about 0.5 mile walk from the resort--does that seem about right?

Sounds about right on the distance, just follow the path over the bridge and around the marina. It is a very easy and beautiful walk or bike ride.
For take out I have tried Bullies, some of the best BBQ I have had and they have family meals for reasonable prices.

On property there is Tide Me Over. It is a snack bar with some salads and more substantial items. Right now it closes at 5PM. During peak season it is open longer. The quick service at the beach house closes earlier. Broad Creek Mercantile has snacks and groceries, bought Mickey Bars there for the grandsons just about every day. There is a grocery store less than a half mile away. We bought our snacks at the grocery store. They also have a number of charcoal grills that are cleaned daily. We cooked out twice the last time we were there. As others indicated there are a number of restaurant options within walking distance from the resort. We used Giuseppi's (sp) for pizza delivery. It is in Shelter Cove and not very far. Watch out for delivery ads placed under your door as some of them are not legit. Go to the front desk and they will have a number of other delivery options for you. The HH cast members are the best.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions!! The main reason I want to visit HH is to get a break from the scrambling of the parks and intense planning it takes but the planner in me still feels like I need to plan out something :) I have heard so many positive things about Disney HHI and cant wait to visit and check it all out!!

If you want any fun adult drinks, take a trip over to the Frosty Frog. It has easily become on of my favorite places on HHI. They have probably over 20 different frozen daiquiri flavors on tap and you can get them in gallons to go, too! They are soooooo good I wish I had one now.

Biggest problem with dining options at HHI is determining which place to eat. Completely different from Vero Beach. You have hundreds of options. Many are walking distance. Don't sweat it. You have lots of options.

There is also a Kroger and Whole Foods, both very nice a short drive or long walk away. They have grab and go choices. I'd also mention Giuseppi's Pizza over in that area. More than pizza and they have easy carry out. Remember to ask for DVC discount. There is also a nice French bakery in that mall.

Enjoy!

My DH and I discovered the British Open Pub when we went in 2012. It was fantastic, cozy, Lobster Pot Pie and a pint of your favorite spirits.

We also enjoyed the Bavarian Hot Pretzels and Irish Spring Rolls. We sat at a cozy booth with our own tv at the table and watched the summer Olympics. We definitely want to hit this summer when we finally return.

It’s located right down the road in Village at Wexford shopping center. Which looks like it has a lot of other yummy restaurants too.

We also had a great lunch at the Salty Dog. Great outside dining.

You might also consider doing a day trip to Savannah Ga. It is less than an hour away and they have some WONDERFUL places to eat......and it is a beautiful city with lots of Southern charm :D

Are there any sandwich shops similar to Earl of Sandwich? It is always one of our must do meals on Disney trips!!

We tend to eat a lot of seafood while we are at Hilton Head. Our favorite places are Skull Creek Boathouse, Poseidon, and Sea Shack. We are planning another trip to the Old Oyster Factory on our next trip. We also enjoy Guisseppi's. It's a tradition to eat there on our first night on the island and then head to Kroger to load up on groceries for our villa.

Are there any sandwich shops similar to Earl of Sandwich? It is always one of our must do meals on Disney trips!!
There is an Earl of Sandwich Pub near Coligny Plaza (a few miles from the Disney Resort), but it is not part of the more familiar chain. It is open for lunch/dinner.

For franchise sandwiches there are several Subway restaurants on the island but many of the restaurants already mentioned offer a variety of sandwiches on their menu.

There used to be a Panera bread on the island-I think it was up in the same shopping plaza as Walmart.

We tend to eat a lot of seafood while we are at Hilton Head. Our favorite places are Skull Creek Boathouse, Poseidon, and Sea Shack. We are planning another trip to the Old Oyster Factory on our next trip. We also enjoy Guisseppi's. It's a tradition to eat there on our first night on the island and then head to Kroger to load up on groceries for our villa.

Besides these places, we also love Kenny G's. It's about as "fancy" as the Sea Shack (meaning VERY casual).

There are TONS of restaurants on HHI. If you like burgers, I highly recommend Charbar - you will have to drive there from the Disney Resort, but those burgers are so good!!

Kenny B's French Quarter Café caught my attention--has anyone tried their beignets? That would be my main reason for eating there!! :)

I am glad I started this thread and very thankful for all the foodie advice!

I have been reading Yelp and Google reviews but find advice from fellow DISers to be much more valuable!!

Kenny B's French Quarter Café caught my attention--has anyone tried their beignets? That would be my main reason for eating there!! :)

Oops! It's Kenny B's! I get the last initial confused with the musician. No, we've never had their beignets. However, they have excellent sweet potato fries and fried scallops. Very fresh tasting.

Did my graduate school at Tulane so I am familiar with New Orleans style restaurants. Kenny B's has excellent beignets. The decor is what mardi gras would look like if it was a restaurant. Kind of a hole in the wall but it is clean. It can get very busy and they take some time off between breakfast and lunch. Aunt Chilada's is near by and it is also excellent with really good gluten free items.

Pretty sure the DVC discount at Guisseppi's is dine in only. They get pretty busy in the summer you will want to order way ahead of when you want to eat. They don't deliver and aren't close but we have to go to the Crazy Crab at least once on each visit. Sitting on the deck watching the sun set is a great end to the day. If your lucky you will get to see one of the shrimping boats headed back to the dock. (the Crazy Crab on the Hilton Head Parkway they have two restaurants. We've never been to the other one lol.) Be warned, if you don't like cats don't eat outside. They have several cats in residence that will stop by for a snack. They are well behaved, we've never seen one get on a table.

Just realize after you have been to Disney HH you'll be coming back. The laid back pace is addicting. The staff is 100% trained to Disney standards but it's a small resort. You'll get lots of personal attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!