"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Hmmm, have any other states upped their speed limits to 75mph yet? I75 north of Flint is posted at 75mph as of this summer, but I didn't even think about whether other states might have done the same since we last did the drive south on 75.
Im in the northeast of pa and I don't see any 70, just 55 and 65. We have narrow, curvy, a lot of traffic highways. I think that's why you get us northerners down south on those straight, wide no pothole highways and we go nuts. Lol

have any other states upped their speed limits to 75mph yet?
I certainly wish they would. From lower Virginia to Florida it's 70 most of the way but 75 would be great. An extra 5 miles per hour for 600 or 700 miles would trim a nice amount of time off the trip.

I live in Georgia and yes, many drive fast except where we know radar is used
Going into Georgia from Chattanooga heading south, first sections that peeps are nailed for speeding is Ringgold and then Dalton

Further down in 75, Marietta and Atlanta more radar
Macon would be the next speed traps
Sometimes Valdosta have the radar guns out

Yesterday was in Atlanta for a doctor appointment
Going back north on 75, my cruising speed was 85 and quite a few cars were passing me

70 is the posted speeds with three areas have sections of 60 mph on a stretch
(Ringgold, dalton, Marietta)

Only construction delay I had today was just south of Macon on i75. Set us back about 10-15 minutes. They had 2 out of 3 lanes closed for several miles.

When I drove down and back up from Atlanta yesterday, patrols with radar were heavy at Marietta, dalton and Ringgold on 75

Saw at least 9 vehicles pulled over and sure tickets were issued
It is my rule of thumb that when we drive down from Wisconsin, I'll go 5-7 MPH over the posted speed limit all the way down, until we hit Georgia. Then it is 1-3 over, if that. I've heard too many horror stories of Georgia cops being extra strict to out of state drivers, because they know you won't travel all the way down a few weeks later to challenge the ticket. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I feel like that is a case of better to be safe than sorry. But then as soon as we hit Florida, it is back to 5-7 over.

We drive down from VT 2 times a year and I too drive about 5-7 over, except where it feels like I might get run over. We switch it up by taking 95 down and the inland route back. Never had any problems with speeding.

Leaving March 23 for our drive down from Chicago. After 2 years of flying, going back to driving is going to be tough (drove for about 10 years). I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for construction info.

We will be just ahead of you. Leaving SW Wisconsin on Thursday afternoon, pulling our fiver, and stopping somewhere on 57 south, Effingham. On the 23rd, we are going the Alamaba route, knowing it is about 1 1/2 hr longer, but there will be two trucks, pulling our RV’s, and avoiding Atlanta on a Friday late afternoon. Have a safe trip.

A new thread asks the question "driving or flying?" to WDW. One wonders why the question isn't asked here! :car:

All the best! :thumbsup2

One week until our drive. We'll be taking I57 this time. It's a nice drive ever since the increased the speed limit. Plan is to stop in Valdosta for the night.

Question for those that travel from the North East on I95 to our Happy Place in FL. When getting to Baltimore, do you take the 95/495 route or the 895/295 route heading around DC? What do you prefer?

I'm not worried about the traffic in DC because I'll be passing through 11pm-1am.

Question for those that travel from the North East on I95 to our Happy Place in FL. When getting to Baltimore, do you take the 95/495 route or the 895/295 route heading around DC? What do you prefer?

I'm not worried about the traffic in DC because I'll be passing through 11pm-1am.
We have taken the 895/50/301 route a few times but I'm not convinced it is any faster so we went back to just staying on 95 and haven't had any issues.

The only decision I need to make now is whether or not to jump in the EZPass Express lanes. Sometimes you can just tell it will be worth it. Other times if traffic seems light I skip it and save a few dollars.

One week until our drive. We'll be taking I57 this time. It's a nice drive ever since the increased the speed limit. Plan is to stop in Valdosta for the night.
We've taken I57 home to Wisconsin on each of our three drives, but have never taken it on the way down. We've gone down I65 twice, and once we took a detour through South Carolina and down the east coast. I think we'll be taking I57 when we drive again next year. We like staying just south of Atlanta in Morrow, GA. Coming from about an hour north of Milwaukee, Valdosta is a bit far for us on one day's drive. Although, come to think of it, we did stay in Valdosta last year since we drove in the winter and wanted to break our drive up into three days.

We are driving from NorthEast Michigan in September. Driving right through. (5 Adult drivers). Taking I75 to the Florida turnpike. But we'd like to stop along the way for groceries. Any recommendations on a large, full service grocer ( Deli, etc) before hitting the turnpike?

We leave on 2/13/2018 for our three week trip.

We have a bunch of "work" stops to make on our way. We are taking a few detours. Leaving SW Michigan (grand rapids area) and heading to:
Chicago (3 nights)
Knoxville, TN (2 nights)
Asheville, NC (3nights)
Hilton Head, SC (4 nights)
Daytona Beach (2 nights)
Disney (7 nights)

The only "new" road for us will be from Chicago to Indy on I65. I'm sure that's just a long flat road, like I69 from MI.

6 of us, Myself, Wife and 4 kids under 7. I believe this is drive #21.

The completed parking garages and road construction (Buena Vista Drive) at Disney Springs had made driving in that area much easier. And give Maria & Enzo's a try for enjoyable Italian food and splendid indoor and outdoor views.

All the best! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!