For August UY Members - Please make a decision quickly DVC

dismedvc

DIS Veteran
Everyone with an August UY has until next Tuesday 3-31-20 to bank current year points.
Hopefully DVC will make a decision on whether or not to extend the banking deadline for August UY points before that date.
Otherwise I suspect most Aug UY owner with June or July vacations booked with current UY points will almost be forced to cancel and bank to avoid losing those points

Most of us impacted have probably memorized the paragraph below from todays email from Disney Vacation Club Management, LLC

"In addition, some Members may have questions about reservation cancellations involving Points that are set to expire soon. At this time, we are evaluating the banking and expiration policy and the use of certain Points impacted by the closures. As a part of our evaluation process, we need to be considerate of the impact any changes could have on future inventory availability for the Membership overall. A decision will be made when we better understand how long COVID-19 will impact our operations."

It’s why my group decided yesterday to move the May trip to October. Most of the points were borrowed, but i had about 60 points still bankable,

I was willing to risk them if the group wanted to still go, but they decided it made more sense to change our trip.

I am not confident that any decision will be made by then, and I would be worried that they would exclude any UYs who have the ability to cancel and bank and didn’t.

I think you are probably correct Sandisw, but effectively forcing members to cancel would be a lose-lose for both sides if the parks do open in June or July

Last edited:
I think you are probably correct, but effectively forcing members to cancel would be a lose-lose for both sides if the parks do open in June or July

Welcome to the world those of use with June UYs and Easter reservations are in.

Welcome to the world those of use with June UYs and Easter reservations are in.
However, you unfortunately had no choice in being in that world. I have to decide if I want to join you.

I feel bad for members in your position, but hopefully DVC will come up with an acceptable, even if it not a satisfactory solution.

If your only other choice is to have your points expire, you could consider depositing into RCI. Since you would be 11 to 45 days from point expiration there would be RCI restrictions, but it would be better than losing your points completely.

There is nothing in RCI that I desire. Nothing. It is and always has been one of those perks that is totally worthless to me. Nothing personal, but if I had wanted RCI points, I would have bought into Bonnet Creek.

Which brings up an interesting (I think.) question....

What is going on over at Bonnet Creek? It's on-property. What did Wyndham do? Are they closed? Is the Hilton over there closed?

I've used 2019 and 2020 points for our May trip. I cancel part of my trip (2019) to salvage some of my points? I tried to rebook last week but was told 2020 would go into holding...had to be used by 7/31. Impossible! Essential AND key employees..NOT happening! I know, first world problem but it makes me sad and a bit frustrated.

I've used 2019 and 2020 points for our May trip. I cancel part of my trip (2019) to salvage some of my points? I tried to rebook last week but was told 2020 would go into holding...had to be used by 7/31. Impossible! Essential AND key employees..NOT happening! I know, first world problem but it makes me sad and a bit frustrated.

Last week. borrowed points from 2020 were not being returned for May trips. Now that closure is until future notice all reservstios are being allowed.

Just to clarify...holding means that points not only expire at the end of the UY but also can’t be booked until 60 days or less, no matter the status.

I had Aug 2020 UY points from a canceled May trip put back yesterday, and banked my 2019 points.

Last edited:
Everyone with an August UY has until next Tuesday 3-31-20 to bank current year points.
Hopefully DVC will make a decision on whether or not to extend the banking deadline for August UY points before that date.
Otherwise I suspect most Aug UY owner with June or July vacations booked with current UY points will almost be forced to cancel and bank to avoid losing those points

Would the following be possible to save points?

Make a new reservation in June/July using the same amount of points that you have for current reservations. For this new reservation borrow points from your Aug 2020 use year. Then cancel that new reservation. You’ll have borrowed available points in your 2019 use year. Call DVC and have them modify your existing reservation to use the borrowed points. Now bank your Aug 2019 points to 2020. If DVC continues with the same policy in force now, you’d be allowed to return the borrowed points to your Aug 2020 use year If you need to cancel the June/July reservation. No points lost.

Would the following be possible to save points?

Make a new reservation in June/July using the same amount of points that you have for current reservations. For this new reservation borrow points from your Aug 2020 use year. Then cancel that new reservation. You’ll have borrowed available points in your 2019 use year. Call DVC and have them modify your existing reservation to use the borrowed points. Now bank your Aug 2019 points to 2020. If DVC continues with the same policy in force now, you’d be allowed to return the borrowed points to your Aug 2020 use year If you need to cancel the June/July reservation. No points lost.

It will work, except for one big gamble. They could stop the return of borrowed points any time.

But yes, if I had a May or June trip with current UY bankable points, along with borrowed points, I might just do that to limit my risk because right now, we know they are not allowing points to be banked late.

Anybody rolling the dice with a relatively close booking right now knows full well what they're doing. You know the risk with your points based on the current rules going in. I'd be hard-pressed to care about anybody who booked after the closure betting on the come that a near-time reservation was going to work out.

Those of us who booked for Easter back in August didn't have a crystal ball. You guys have a newspaper and the internet.

Anybody rolling the dice with a relatively close booking right now knows full well what they're doing. You know the risk with your points based on the current rules going in. I'd be hard-pressed to care about anybody who booked after the closure betting on the come that a near-time reservation was going to work out.

Those of us who booked for Easter back in August didn't have a crystal ball. You guys have a newspaper and the internet.

I was planning on it for a May trip and risk 60 points. But, my guests decided...I left it totally up to them...to move it,

Had they said, roll the dice, I would have eaten the 60 points, as well as the 108 borrowed points if by that time, the rule to return borrowed points to my Aug 2020 UY was no longer in force,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter