For people who've requested first floor at OKW

If you've requested first floor or elevator building at OKW, have you always gotten it?

• Always gotten first floor

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • At least once I've gotten upper floor, but moved to first floor immediately

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • At least once I've gotten upper floor and not moved

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
DVC MS insisted that I can't get first floor guaranteed at OKW, even though I have knee problems and can't climb stairs. Also, I use an ECV. For me, that would mean no more OKW since there are hardly any buildings with elevators. But since OKW is DH's favorite resort by far, I have this question-

If you've requested first floor at OKW, have you always gotten it (or one of the few elevator buildings) or ever gotten upper floor?

Every time I asked. I got first floor mostly, elevator building twice. Once it was first floor IN an elevator building.

How about booking a HA room?

Thats what HHI is forcing us to book. I really think HHI should have a category, elevator access.

Almost 50% of the rooms at OKW are on the first floor. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to meet your requests. Their response seems to be the general response for room request. Nothing is guaranteed. If they assign you a non first floor room, just ask MS if they can give you one. They are usually very helpful.

If you book HA/wheelchair it guarantees first floor.

Plus, if you book a studio, it guarantees you a shower with a shower seat which is quite spacious.

I've never tempted fate when traveling with my mother by booking non-HA.

Do you have to have official papers to book HA. My daughter has a tag for her car but that is about it right now.

Ironically we always ask for the highest floor and I'm sure we are not the only ones, so maybe all the differing requests even themselves out. We always got what we asked for, but it helped we were flexible with the building number.

I don't want to book HA just so that I can get first floor-I really don't need a HA villa, and would prefer to leave them for those who need HA accommodations. To me, it's kind of like the person in the HA stall in the rest room who isn't Handicapped, but feels they need the extra room.

If it were me I would book an HA and add a note that a ground floor unit would be an acceptable alternate

I have always found the room assigners at OKW to be some of the most efficient and accommodating.

We've stayed at OKW three times now since DW's back surgery, and requested ground floor each time. I called and talked to MS on each of those occasions to explain the situation - we didn't need, nor particularly want a HA room and while stairs are not impossible, they are slow and painful. In all three cases the MS CM was incredibly understanding and stated that they were putting our request in as a "medically necessary". The first stay was in a first floor HA studio (it was only for 1 night). Second stay was in a 2BR for 2 weeks and that was in building 64 which has an elevator. The third stay was also a first floor studio but not HA. In all cases, while I was never told that they "guaranteed" we would get a 1st floor room, I was, in each case, told that "they'd make sure we were taken care of", and not to worry about it.

Steve

We've stayed at OKW three times now since DW's back surgery, and requested ground floor each time. I called and talked to MS on each of those occasions to explain the situation - we didn't need, nor particularly want a HA room and while stairs are not impossible, they are slow and painful. In all three cases the MS CM was incredibly understanding and stated that they were putting our request in as a "medically necessary". The first stay was in a first floor HA studio (it was only for 1 night). Second stay was in a 2BR for 2 weeks and that was in building 64 which has an elevator. The third stay was also a first floor studio but not HA. In all cases, while I was never told that they "guaranteed" we would get a 1st floor room, I was, in each case, told that "they'd make sure we were taken care of", and not to worry about it.

Steve

Thanks! You give me (and DH) encouragement. Unfortunately, when I called and told them that my knees made stairs painful and extremely difficult, they weren't too helpful-they didn't mention "medically necessary". But that was about 4 years ago, perhaps things have changed. Sounds like it!

Thanks! You give me (and DH) encouragement. Unfortunately, when I called and told them that my knees made stairs painful and extremely difficult, they weren't too helpful-they didn't mention "medically necessary". But that was about 4 years ago, perhaps things have changed. Sounds like it!

Note: I also made these reservations right at the 7 month mark. So earlier rather than later could be a factor. Also, I neglected to mention that the 2BR was on the second floor, but with an elevator in the building, it didn't matter.

Steve

Almost 50% of the rooms at OKW are on the first floor. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to meet your requests. Their response seems to be the general response for room request. Nothing is guaranteed. If they assign you a non first floor room, just ask MS if they can give you one. They are usually very helpful.

Most of the buildings are 3 floors. Most of the 3rd floors are dedicated 2 bedrooms or upper floors of grand villas. In my case, when I requested first floor (1 bedroom) I got it 3 of 4 times.

For those of you who requested first floor and weren't moved, did you request to be moved("I REALLY can't do stairs) or not-it was purely what you preferred?

Most of the buildings are 3 floors. Most of the 3rd floors are dedicated 2 bedrooms or upper floors of grand villas. In my case, when I requested first floor (1 bedroom) I got it 3 of 4 times.
Of the 761 rooms at OKW 332 are on the first floor which puts it at 43.6% of rooms. If I included the other 28 rooms in the three buildings with elevators we are at 360 rooms with ECV accessibility. Which would be 47.3% of the rooms at OKW. I would say that’s “Almost 50%” like I stated. I made the statement to assure the OP that they should be able to assist them with a room that meet their needs. When we went in the 2nd week in December of 2019, during check in, mind you that this week is in the top 3 busiest weeks for DVC studios were gone over 9 months out, we were first given a first floor room. We didn’t like the location and asked if they had anything else. They did and it also was a 1st floor. We usually request top floor, because we like them better.

I think Debbie was agreeing with you, not attempting to correct you.
I just wanted to make people aware that there are third floor rooms. The first time I stayed at OKW was a third floor 2 bedroom (no elevator). It’s a long way up and down, especially with luggage. I’m fairly able bodied (but not a youngster...), I can handle second floor but third is a bit much.

I just wanted to make people aware that there are third floor rooms. The first time I stayed at OKW was a third floor 2 bedroom (no elevator). It’s a long way up and down, especially with luggage. I’m fairly able bodied (but not a youngster...), I can handle second floor but third is a bit much.
I agree one of the big negatives of OKW is the lack of elevators at mot of the buildings.

We've only stayed at OKW once, in 1BR. Requested 1st floor and received 1st floor (twice).

We had to be moved from the first 1st floor room after not only it being 3 hours late, it smelled like a Wint-o-green Lifesaver factory during a halitosis epidemic. The mint fumes were so strong it was burning our eyes :o

I guess whatever happened in that room to cause a 3 hour delay required masking with a gallon of pure menthol? But we did get 1st floor twice :)

Do you have to have official papers to book HA. My daughter has a tag for her car but that is about it right now.
It is illegal for anyone to ask for "papers" in the US - it is the ADA. A Handicap tag is strictly for parking. Many disabled people have "invisible" issues like MS or Lupus and it is up to you to share information with DVC or not. I explain my limitations because I choose to. If your daughter needs a first floor, call DVC and request it. They have always accommodated me. A HA villa with a roll in shower, on the other hand, has to be reserved when you make your reservation. Just a note, I always bring a suction cup grab bar for the shower if I can not get a HA - not the best, but much safer than nothing. Best of luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter