For the Disney Names: How much to trim?

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
Kate was WONDERFUL enough to get me her really cool "Disney names" in time for me to make our shirts this weekend. I have printed them out on Dark Transfer Paper (they are going on Red Tshirts).

I can't decide how to trim them--should I just cut them as even rectangles--even though there will be lots of extra white around the edges, or should I sort of trim around them, making them uneven but getting rid of lots of white on the background????

Has anyone done these on dark shirts? What option did you choose and how did they turn out?

Laura

lovetoscrap said:
Kate was WONDERFUL enough to get me her really cool "Disney names" in time for me to make our shirts this weekend. I have printed them out on Dark Transfer Paper (they are going on Red Tshirts).

I can't decide how to trim them--should I just cut them as even rectangles--even though there will be lots of extra white around the edges, or should I sort of trim around them, making them uneven but getting rid of lots of white on the background????

Has anyone done these on dark shirts? What option did you choose and how did they turn out?

Laura
I have not put mine on dark shirts yet. I am planning on trimming around them when I do it so that I have less of the background but I"m not sure what it will look like. I'm sure someone who has done it will be along later to give us their experience.

Whatever you decide, you want to make sure you round the corners. If you have a point corner, it is more likely to peel off.

Kate also did a name for me. This was my first attempt to make a t-shirt. I trimmed all around the transfer and left very little white (on a navy shirt). It took forever but turned out great. However, I did not trim it on the back of the shirt (Birthday Boy). It would have taken way too long. Instead, I cut a rectangle out with "mickey ears" scissors. It looks really cute. I can tell it's homeade, but that is part of the charm!! I have a picture, but have no idea how to post it.

Staci

Laura - if you would like I could outline them for you

just let me know which names are yours

I am thinking about putting a straight frame around them the same color as the name? Do you think that would work? I have one done. :banana: :banana: Fortunately (or unfortunately) DH, DB & FIL won't wear them so I don't need to make one for them. Penny

I thought that with the dark transfer paper on a dark shirt, any transfer paper not cut off would come out as white on the shirt. If I'm wrong, please somebody tell me because spent forever and got a hand cramp cutting off the extra! :teeth:

julia & nicks mom said:
Laura - if you would like I could outline them for you

just let me know which names are yours

I couldn't ask you to do any more for me! You have already been wonderful to me and I really appreciate all you have done--more than you know!

And I have already printed these out onto the transfer paper and couldn't reprint them now if I wanted to! I am just trying to figure out if it will look better if I make it a "box", or if I should trim around each name and the figures.

It looks like I will have to be the guinea pig. I am probably going to trim around at least a bit.

I thought about putting a frame around--that is what I did with the other design you made for me, but it is too late now!

I am going to finish these up tonight and will take some pictures. I just need to read the instructions on how to post them!

I guess I better fire up the iron and get cutting!

I put a frame around mine and then cut it in a rectangle, i'll take a picture and try to figure out how to post it here soon.

I have been racking my brains to post a picture of the shirt I made from Kate's name design. I have no idea how to post a picture. But I did find a way to post it on the Community Photos!! Yea, me!!
*At the top of the page , click on Community photos.
*Go to SEARCH, then in the username field type Stacibeth.
*There should be two photos (Ryan's t-shirt, Ryan's t-shirt2).
I trimmed all around the name on the front of the shirt. I did leave a small transfer strip between the Y and the A, so that the name would not be cut into two pieces (this helped me iron it on straight). I thought it would be too hard to cut out the back, so I used groovy edged scissors to gut around the edges. Any part of the dark colored t-shirt transfer that is not cut out will show up white on the shirt. Hope this helps.

Staci

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter