For this trip, will I need to bank, or borrow?

Cinderella94

I miss my tags!
Use year is December. I have 166 points that need to be banked by July 31, 2018. On June 5, I can book our January 2019 Aulani stay for roughly 300ish points. Do I need to borrow from next year's points, because at the time that I'm booking I won't have enough for that whole trip? Or will I need to bank these 166 points because the trip takes place after July 31, 2018?

Thank you!!

Use year is December. I have 166 points that need to be banked by July 31, 2018. On June 5, I can book our January 2019 Aulani stay for roughly 300ish points. Do I need to borrow from next year's points, because at the time that I'm booking I won't have enough for that whole trip? Or will I need to bank these 166 points because the trip takes place after July 31, 2018?

Thank you!!
Points need to be banked or borrowed into the UY from which they will be used. For a January 2019 trip, you will use Dec 2018 points. The 166 points that you have to bank by 7/31/18 are from your Dec. 2017 UY. If you want to use them for that Jan 2019 trip, you will need to bank them into the Dec 2018 UY.

Points need to be banked or borrowed into the UY from which they will be used. For a January 2019 trip, you will use Dec 2018 points. The 166 points that you have to bank by 7/31/18 are from your Dec. 2017 UY. If you want to use them for that Jan 2019 trip, you will need to bank them into the Dec 2018 UY.
Great!! Thank you!

Always remember that it is the time of travel, not the time you book that counts for types of points. One of my UY is December so because the majority of the UY happens in the next calendar year it can be confusing at times. Here is what I always do that helps. Decide the UY that the trip will happen. Then I know I can use banked points from the UY prior to travel, points from the UY of travel, and points for the UY after travel. Points need to be banked into the UY of travel before a reservation is made. Points can only be borrowed for a reservation at the time the reservation is booked. So, as already mentioned, your Jan 2019 trip is in your 2018 UY, so you can book with banked 2017 UY points, 2018 UY points, and if needed when booking, borrow 2019 UY points to secure your reservation!

I had this same problem being a new DVC member, its hard to wrap your head around all this. I was so confused in the beginning about UY and when the points are used. I figured to help myself, I would build a web app to keep track of it all, makes it super easy to see visually with the points and the vacations you want to do. I thought about releasing it public so everyone on here could use it as well but not sure if anyone else would use it or need it.

Points can only be banked during the first 8 months of your UY. Your UY is not a calendar year. Points need to be available during the dates of your stay, not when you make the reservation. Banking moves points one UY forward, borrowing moves points one UY back. Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.

:earsboy: Bill

So we have a December use year as well. We booked a trip for April 2019 using our December 18 points. If we had to cancel that trip what happens to those points? They are technically borrowed I guess? So when would those points have to be used in that case? The December use year confuses me. Lol

A trip in April 2019 is in your 2018 UY, which runs from 12/1/18 through 11/30/19. So you would be using 2018 UY points (could also use banked 2017 or borrowed 2019 points if needed).

If you cancel at least 31 days before check in, any 2017 or 2019 points stay in the 2018 UY & have to be used by 11/30/19. If you’re still within your banking window when you cancel, the 2018 points can be banked into 2019 if you want, otherwise they expire 11/30/19.

If you cancel 30 days or less before check in, all points go into holding and have to be used by 11/30/19, plus you have to be 60 days or less from check in for the new reservation before you can book it.

So we have a December use year as well. We booked a trip for April 2019 using our December 18 points. If we had to cancel that trip what happens to those points? They are technically borrowed I guess? So when would those points have to be used in that case? The December use year confuses me. Lol
Your December 2018 points are good for travel from December 2018 through November 2019. Your April trip was booked within that timeframe, so they will be using "CURRENT UY" points.

If you cancel that trip between 30 days and 1 day prior to check-in, your points will go into holding and will be good only until the end of the UY; in this case, November 30, 2019. Additionally, the points can only be used to book a room who's check-in is 60 days away. Points in holding cannot be banked.

If you cancel your trip prior to 30 days from checkin (say your checkin date is April 1, you would need to cancel prior to March 2, 2019), the points simply return to your current UY and expire November. You have until July 31 to bank them.

No those are not borrowed. December ‘18 UY points are naturally good from December 2018 through the end of November 2019.

If you cancelled the trip before the banking deadline you could bank them into December 2019, which means they could be used from December 2019 through the end of November 2020. Or without banking you could use them between December 2018 and end of November 2019. Or if you wanted to take a trip between now and end of November 2018, you could borrrow them.

April 2019 is inside of the banking deadline for a 2018 December UY contract, so you wouldn’t have to worry about being beyond that deadline.

(Someone else can tackle Hokding points for if you were to cancel
30 days or less before checkin)

Gosh I hope the above is correct lol.

Thanks for all the great replies! We are not canceling the trip but I just wanted to know hypothetically how it would go if we were in that situation and from other things I was reading it just confused me more. I think I got it noe! Again thanks fgor the replies :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter