For those who have gone in August AND other months....

monica9

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of going August 2019 hoping Star Wars is officially done by then. It’s going to be 12 of us. If we went during school year my niece and nephew will miss a week of high school which is hard, my daughter miss week for 6th grade and my sister will need to leave vacation early because she teaches and can only get away with 4 days off.
Weve been in end of September, nov and dec twice (my immediate family of 4). Weather is great. End of September was 90 but bareable for us.
We’d like to go when kids have off. Can’t do spring break because my sister coaches and can’t do fall because my niece has soccer. June seems too busy and not sure Star Wars will be open leaving us with mid August. Some aren’t happy because it will be too hot. Those that are on board figure we can do a 10 day trip and take our time, going back to the resort for the pool and naps during the afternoon if needed.
With 95degree weather and 100% humidity, is it worth it?
How are the lines in mid August?
We just got back two days ago and the first week of December was horrendous. Lines for basic rides were over an hour!
So for those that have been in August and other months, would you ever do August again?

I've now gone in January, April, June, July, August, September, November, and December.
I'll be going in February 2018.
I've been in mid/late August 4 times.
We've enjoyed the lighter crowds near the end of the month.
Heat and humidity sucked but we dealt with it.
I'd consider going again in August although after my trip in early September this year my sister and I decided we'd like to try for cooler months when possible. Hence I'm going in February and December 2018.
If August is the best time for your family then go with it.
Take a more relaxed approach and try to do indoor attractions mid day.

I've now gone in January, April, June, July, August, September, November, and December.
I'll be going in February 2018.
I've been in mid/late August 4 times.
We've enjoyed the lighter crowds near the end of the month.
Heat and humidity sucked but we dealt with it.
I'd consider going again in August although after my trip in early September this year my sister and I decided we'd like to try for cooler months when possible. Hence I'm going in February and December 2018.
If August is the best time for your family then go with it.
Take a more relaxed approach and try to do indoor attractions mid day.
Good idea with the indoor attractions mid day. I just feel we’d have more fun going for 10 days in the heat than 6 days and stressing about homework and missing work/school.

Good idea with the indoor attractions mid day. I just feel we’d have more fun going for 10 days in the heat than 6 days and stressing about homework and missing work/school.

My sisters and I missed 8 days of school every year and it was fine but you gotta do what you feel is right for you.

I have been several times in May and June, but the past couple have been mid or late August, which is a time of year I highly recommend!!

The heat can be brutal and difficult, however this is not the case through the whole trip (ours are typically about 7-10 days). I would say the heat is overall not a problem and with a mid day pool break should be no impediment whatsoever. And I am saying this as someone who had no problem bundling up and walking to the gym in mid-20's temperatures this morning, but starts having problems at about mid-80's.

Also, crowds can be high, but with fast passes, getting to park at opening, and avoiding EMH (I am personally not a fan as I feel they draw too many people); we are able to do almost every attraction we want as a group, and rarely have more than 20 minute waits. However, we will leave parks if most attractions get to the 45-60 minute mark.

We typically have very fast paced mornings, leaving the parks at about noon and taking a pool break. ADR's for dinner at typically pretty early (5:00 or so); and then evenings can vary widely. Evenings usually entail going back to the park till closing.

I do recommend this time of year, as traditionally low times, such as September and December seem to now be packed. May is usually cooler, however August works best for us due to schedules.

We are thinking of going August 2019 hoping Star Wars is officially done by then. It’s going to be 12 of us. If we went during school year my niece and nephew will miss a week of high school which is hard, my daughter miss week for 6th grade and my sister will need to leave vacation early because she teaches and can only get away with 4 days off.
Weve been in end of September, nov and dec twice (my immediate family of 4). Weather is great. End of September was 90 but bareable for us.
We’d like to go when kids have off. Can’t do spring break because my sister coaches and can’t do fall because my niece has soccer. June seems too busy and not sure Star Wars will be open leaving us with mid August. Some aren’t happy because it will be too hot. Those that are on board figure we can do a 10 day trip and take our time, going back to the resort for the pool and naps during the afternoon if needed.
With 95degree weather and 100% humidity, is it worth it?
How are the lines in mid August?
We just got back two days ago and the first week of December was horrendous. Lines for basic rides were over an hour!
So for those that have been in August and other months, would you ever do August again?

Right now I can travel whenever I want, but I've been in August and if I had to choose a non-school time to go that would be it (especially mid to late August). Do Epcot early or late in the day, the showcase gets stiflingly hot (unless you want to shop in every country).

I will NEVER do 4th of July again (I can handle the heat, but it got bonkers crowded)
I will NEVER do between Christmas and New Years again (good weather, but all I remember were the MASSIVE crowds)

I like late January, late September and mid to late August

You are brave to go in August. I live here (about 80 miles west of WDW) and I won't go then. I know this is a time that people have to go due to schedules but it's like 2 degrees cooler than walking on the sun here then.
Advice on this time of year - There is no slow season at WDW anymore so pace yourself. Take LOTS of breaks. Plan on rope drop and then late day. If you can swing it leave between 11-4 each day. Go back after 5 or 6 and stay in the evening.
Please, please make sure everyone in your party drinks WAY more than they normally would. Free ice water at counter service locations and often through the world this time of the year due to the heat. Even if you don't feel like it, drink.
On that note - eat. Don't skip meals because it's too hot. Often people not use to the heat here will either a - not drink enough and b - not eat enough and they get sick.
Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. Re-apply it several times a day and don't forget the bug spray.
I have to agree that Epcot and HS to some extent has far less shaded areas so they are early/late places to visit.
Crowds are usually manageable as the local schools will be in session by then. Use fastpass as much as possible to your advantage.

We did August once in 2012. While I hated the heat (and complained) when we got home to Kansas City we found out that it was hotter there than in Florida for those 2 weeks (live and learn).

I did mid/late August a few years back to hit the Villains Unleashed and aside from it being crazy hot, we had no problems. Lines were okay, and parks didn't seem TOO crowded.
Back in 2015, I was living down there, and we noticed that the crowds were NOT dying down like they used to, it was hot, hectic and crowded. BUT, we made it work with getting to the park right at rope drop, utilizing our fast passes for the rides/experiences we really wanted to make sure we got on that day, and would spend most of the day doing entertainment stuff. Then after the parade, monorail over to the Poly/GFlo for a few hours to take advantage of the a/c, beautiful lobby/Trader Sam's & enjoy a couple of drinks before heading back for the fireworks/dep.

Personally, I would never go in August, BUT, I'm a young adult with no kids who's not in school, and am lucky enough to have jobs that I can book time off whenever I'd like

Are you staying on property? If so I strongly urge you to consider using EMH extensively. I brought an extended family group of 18 (16 magic bands and 2 munchkitoonies). We all stayed at Kidani Village. It was the first August that Disney had introduced magic bands. We stayed a week. One of the things that made this easier was the fact that they all agreed to let me make all of the fast passes for them. We linked all of the fast passes to the same account. At the time we had a lot of princesses who wanted to do the character meet and greets. Frozen was still a hot hot ticket. I got the three best fast passes at each park; I aimed to get these from 09:00 to about 11:00 if possible. From 07:45 to 09:00 we took advantage of the EMH at each park. We would experience the attractions that we had on our must do list that we did not hold fast passes for. We would eat lunch at the park at 11:30 and then escape the heat of the day and head back to the resort.
If you are planning on going for 10 days, schedule the beginning of the trip for a thursday or a friday. Your fastpasses will become available 60 days out from that thursday or friday. Most people arrive on a Saturday, so their fast passes will start on that Saturday and run through the week. Your fastpasses will open up 2 days ahead of the majority of people and you should be able to get the fast passes you want.
An example of this is a typical Monday -- Animal Kingdom EMH day. Get fast passes for FOP, kali river, and The Festival of the Lion King (substitute Expedition Everest or Kali River Rapids as you prefer). For EMH, go and do Na'vi River, and Kilimanjaro Safari and other rides if you still have time remaining. Pay attention to the map when you make the order up of the rides. We are going this upcoming January and this is our plan. We will leave the park a little after noon and head back to our resort (this time Wilderness Lodge). This time it will be just my DW, DD12, and I.
My DMIL joined us for a trip during Christmas week in 2012. The parks were slammed! In fact they closed a park on three of the days because of attendances maxes. We never had a problem that whole week because we followed this formula. The key is be out eary. If you must stay at the parks later, I would invest in park hoppers and go to a different park after you use your fast passes up. While you are enroute, try to set up your first freed up fast pass at the new park.
For us we are happy to have something else schedule for the afternoon and evening. This usually centers around food. We will do the spirit of aloha at the polynesian and the Hoop De Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness (my absolute favorite thing at Disney).
I have scheduled a whole late afternoon/ early evening at EPCOT so my daughter and I can do Agent P's adventure. (my daughter's favorite thing disney).
Since we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge, I am looking forward to experiencing some of the things this area of Disney has to offer.
Another early evening/late afternoon adventure we like is to go to the boardwalk and rent a surrey bike where we all can ride around the board walk.
I am sure you know to set up your dinner reservations at the 6 month mark. I always do this so I never experienced a problem getting reservations. LOL I had to change one of the reservations because were were able to get passes to the star wars experience at Disney Springs. I was able to get reservations but it took me a few tries. I was surprised. I thought a party of three would have no problems in January. Even in January, the restaurants fill up!

Regardless, enjoy the process of planning. I enjoy it as much as the trip.

We usually go the week of Labor Day. It is very hot but there are inside (A/C) rides. I love the Hall of Presidents as a nice break from the heat. I over heated once and felt like I was going to pass out. I grabbed some ice at a QS place and went straight to HoP to cool off. We also take breaks in the mid day to go to the pool as well. You need to make sure you are drinking plenty of water during the day and you should be fine.

For the lines this week they are low except for Sunday and Monday. Most schools are back in session by that Tuesday so the crowds are much lower. Earlier in August you will have some schools that go back. In my area the schools start back up mid-August. We are one of the later schools to go back as we go back around the 20th.

We have been in August and yes, it's hot, but totally doable. We got to the parks early, went back to the resort after lunch for pool or nap and went back to the parks at about 4. This worked great for us. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

We have been in August and yes, it's hot, but totally doable. We got to the parks early, went back to the resort after lunch for pool or nap and went back to the parks at about 4. This worked great for us. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

This is what we do too. You beat the middle of the day heat and crowds.

Aug here 3 times!! It's HOT
Accept that and plan accordingly. Think early entrance, breaks, POOL TIME, parks after dark.

Also, I think you're on the right path not taking all those kids out of school. And I am the parent who believes, MY KID MY VACATION WE're GOING!! But once mine were in High School, they let me know, they' didn't want to miss that much school. I Listened.

Jumping in late but I would not not plan a vacation to WDW in August. Or any of the summer months. We went for two weeks in August of 2016 and I made a quick trip this August. It was just too hot for us to enjoy visiting the parks. DW just cannot tolerate the heat. I tolerate it but it takes the fun out of the park visit. But then we are northerners not used to the tropical weather.

I know everyone is different in their ability to tolerate heat and humidity. You said you have visited in late September and thought the weather was bearable. August will be worse so take that into account. Only you know your family's ability to be happy with a vacation pace of very early mornings in the parks, lazy mid days, and back to the parks in the evenings. Also with that plan make sure to add a day or two of sleeping in.

Yes, I know that the crowds in December have been growing. But with FP and some planning you can get a lot done. Though you do risk the possibility of cool weather. But for us, a wearing a hoodie beats sweltering any day.

Best of luck with your planning!

We have been in July, August and once in December(2nd week). The summer months are hot but we know how to handle the heat. The December weather was nice but the crowds were not so nice. Lately we have been going as soon as my DD gets out of school(end of May, first part of June)and have had great trips. Weather not too hot. Crowds not too bad. This year we accidentally hit Memorial Day week-end:scared:. My fault for not checking the calendar carefully. It wasn't bad. Also, we got to go to Avatar, The World of Pandora on opening week-end. Crazy crowds but we got to ride Na'vi River and Flights of Passage several times with rope drop and FP+. It was the first time I saw an hours long wait to get into a gift shop. Whenever you can go to WDW it is better than not going to WDW. Cheers!!!!

Ok thanks for all the comments and advice. So if we can’t tolerate the crowds and the price for Christmas or thanksgiving break but might not be able to tolerate the heat of August, what does everyone suggest? How about mid June? Our kids get out usually second week of June. Is June considerably cooler than August? I know the price is higher in June but can’t be worse than Christmas break.
I was assuming they have so many indoor rides with ac even on the lines that are outside but still might be too much. How is the humidity in June?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!