"For whom the Roads Toll" FL Turnpike

StormyCA

Chief Troublemaker
I'm trying to get my budget & schedule for next year going and need a little help from someone(s) familiar with going from WDW to the FLA Keys. We're totally unfamiliar with the roads heading south. I used the toll calculator but since I have NO familiarity with the entrances/exits/whatever I have no idea if I'm accurate.

I'm gonna @Stratman50th because I know he spends time in the Keys, but feel free to pile in, everyone!

1- It looks like taking the Turnpike all the way would be around $38.00 (3 axles) one way. If we cut over from WDW & take I-95 it looks like about $15.00 in tolls (total) in the Orlando & Miami areas.

2- It looks like the drive times are about 6 1/2 hrs on the Turnpike and 7 1/4 hrs on I-95. I used an average of 50 mph towing.

Thanks guys and gals!!!

Last edited:
I'm trying to get my budget & schedule for next year going and need a little help from someone(s) familiar with going from WDW to the FLA Keys. We're totally unfamiliar with the roads heading south. I used the toll calculator but since I have NO familiarity with the entrances/exits/whatever I have no idea if I'm accurate.

I'm gonna @Stratman50th because I know he spends time in the Keys, but feel free to pile in, everyone!

1- It looks like taking the Turnpike all the way would be around $38.00 (3 axles) one way. If we cut over from WDW & take I-95 it looks like about $15.00 in tolls (total) in the Orlando & Miami areas.

2- It looks like the drive times are about 6 1/2 hrs on the Turnpike and 7 1/4 hrs on I-95. I used an average of 50 mph towing.

Thanks guys and gals!!!

I've done the Keys south from WDW a couple times (stayed at the Fort both coming and going).

No I95 south of Orlando to save tolls - not worth it IMO. In Broward and Dade Counties I95 is closer to the coast and more cars on the road. Stay as far west as you can (which means take the Turnpike south of Orlando IMO). You'll have to buy a SunPass for the Turnpike once you enter Florida (no human tolls booths on the TP in Broward and Dade). It's either SunPass or Toll-by-Plate (photo your license plate as you drive through - more expensive than SP - but you can calc the diff).

I posted about our stop at the Fort in this thread:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/just-back-a-short-visit-to-the-fort.2682601/

But then shared more in the thread below.

Been down to Boyds's Campground on Stock Island (the island just north of Key West):

Boyd's in 2011

And then in January 2018 I camped at John Pennekamp SP in the first island in the Keys, Key Largo, with DD. Here was a post in the January 2018 Trip Thread:

Page 3 Jan 2018 Trip report

Some of the FL locals may have good advice but I have made that trip a few times (even without a camper - twice) so what are your plans and timeframe? The Keys book early, sites are small and expensive, and are hard to get between the snowbirds, the no-seeums, and hurricanes. I've even taken the ferry west of Key West to Dry Tortugas National Park (to camp there even one night is on my bucket list).

Walked Key West too often to mention (worth seeing the sun set at Mallory Square once). Fort Zachary Taylor is a good day place for a picnic/swim/snorkel there in the Key West area. Better than Smathers Beach.

Where are you headed, Stormy?

Bama Ed

PS - also keep in mind the "Keys" is about 100 miles/2 hours long from Key Largo to Key west. Most of it is two-lane island beauty.

PPS - @Stratman50th prolly knows the locals and stone crab fishermen.

Last edited:
Thanks Ed!

We're headed to Fiesta Key, which is near Long Key. We already have our reservations for next May and we'll be there for a week after our 9 days at the Fort. I heard you have to book early so called as soon as we figured out our WDW dates. It looks like a good park and seems to have what we want. Me; a pool. nDH; a palapa bar. Plus it has a good cancellation policy and only 1 night deposit. In these Covid-times I wanted to be sure we could cancel and get a refund if need be.

Our plans are to do a whole lot of nothin'. I'm sure we'll spend a day in Key West but mostly we use our post-WDW stays for R&R before the looonng drive back to California. The last 2 times we went to the Smokies, this time nDH (non-Disney Husband) said he wanted to do something different.

My nDH agrees with you about taking the Turnpike and devil take the tolls! I tend to be the 'penny pincher' so plotted what I thought would be a 'cheaper' route. But since he likes to avoid traffic as much as possible while towing, it sounds as if our marriage would fare better if (for once) we did it his way. 😆

We've gotten the SunPass mini the last two times. But this time I'll have to load up the account with more than just the $20-30 I usually do!

My son and daughter in law just got back from two months in Key West. I heard all about the Noseeums from her. Bug spray is on the camper supply list. They're telling us we need to rent a boat for a half-day for snorkeling and swimming. They did it and had a blast. We'll have to see. If the budget comes to a choice between a new Disney Dooney and a boat, sorry, the Dooney wins!

Thanks again for the info & your thread links. BTW I know that people towing often have different ideas of the 'right speed' and it also depends on your equipment, but do you remember about how long the drive takes you? I assume it'd probably take us a bit longer since we're towing a 31' TT so may have to drive slower, but it's good to get an idea from other people.

Fiesta Key is still the upper Keys so you won't have the long drive towing to KW that I did. My linked trip report says I made the drive north back to the Fort on the way out in 8.5 hours. Fiesta Key is mm 70 so cut an hour and a half off that so I would estimate 7.0-7.5hrs depending on traffic. I do remember on the 2018 trip I missed a turn on the way north that put me into the city closer. I was trying to stay in the right lanes because I was slower but the turn-off was on the left (whatever google directions I was following) and I couldn't get across in time when I realized it. So the driver is going to need a good navigator.

I do HIGHLY recommend the lobster reuben at the Keys Fisheries restaurant (gulf side) in Marathon if you are around there at lunchtime. A little pricey, naturally (lobster), but worth it.

May is actually a good time to be in the Keys IMO. The snowbirds have gone home after Easter and the summer daily afternoon rains haven't started yet. Sounds you have plenty of Keys advice in the family. We did a snorkel trip to Looe Key reef but that's a little further down the Keys from where you are.

Good luck!

Bama Ed

PS - and if you see the ugly iguanas all over the place, just keep telling yourself they are plant eaters. :sad2:

....We already have our reservations for next May and we'll be there for a week after our 9 days at the Fort...
... it sounds as if our marriage would fare better if (for once) we did it his way. 😆
...We've gotten the SunPass mini the last two times. But this time I'll have to load up the account with more than just the $20-30 I usually do!
...Bug spray is on the camper supply list.
...They're telling us we need to rent a boat for a half-day for snorkeling and swimming.
...I know that people towing often have different ideas of the 'right speed' and it also depends on your equipment...
Hi, Stormy. FL resident here. Are you planning to go FW-Long Key in one day?
+ 1 on using the turnpike. South FL is a true zoo and anything you can do to reduce the traffic frustration and danger is highly recommended, including looking at leaving FW and catch U.S. 98 south - U.S. 27 South - I-75 South as an option. See some FL other than concrete super-slab. Google says the mileage FW to Long Key is roughly the same, time is too. Either route, using 50 MPH as an average is pretty close to true.
Not familiar with the Sun Pass mini. Our Sun Pass has the same $25 minimum balance but charges to the cc of choice when it needs to reload. Don't have to fret about reloading it, especially if you're planning TP northbound leaving FL. There is a $1/month admin fee for that, so may not make sense for you. Sounds like you're a frequent FL visitor so thought I offer up the convenience factor.
Add Sunscreen to your camper supply list. Probably preaching-to-the-choir to you on that, but sun intensity when you're on the water in a boat for the day might surprise you.
Let us know your choices and how the trip progresses, enjoy.

P.S. - Can't believe you admitted to letting him have it HIS way... 😲

...Are you planning to go FW-Long Key in one day?
I asked that because we took time for an Air Boat ride in the Everglades on the way to Key Largo. Interesting, lots of wildlife. It doesn't take a whole day, just a few hours. Maybe on your way back north.

So, I agree with what all of my esteemed colleagues have said. I wouldn't go 95 If you paid me!
I take Thunder Rd. until around Celebration and start the toll roads at 417. I don't get off again until the Turnpike dumps me off in Homestead (or actually Florida City). Normally we don't even check what the tolls have been since I just chalk it up to doing business. I went back to our June trip last year and did the tolls for the round trip. The total was $112.95
I'm not sure what you'll be driving but we have 5 axles and are charged accordingly.
As far as the Sunpass, we bought ours several years before we moved to Florida and it was worth it. At the time the only requirement was you had to use it at least once in three years. I recommend the moveable suction cup model over the stick on kind if you have a Class C or Class A and tow a car. That way you can swap it out of the coach and into the toad as necessary. I still use the removable in my car (the Toad) and try to remember to take it down when it's in toad mode so as to not be charged twice. They are more expensive to purchase, $25 than the stick on, which was like $2.50 or $5. But the other one works better if you're switching cars. I have all of our Sunpasses tied into one of my CC's so they always reload without me having to worry about. One last tidbit about the Sunpass, you can also use it to park in certain places. It's great at the airports when picking up and dropping off friends and family. We have used it numerous times at both Orlando and Tampa for short term parking in the garages.
We love the Keys!

Last edited:

So, I forgot the other part of your question. We went from our house in Polk City, which is about 30 minutes from WDW- on a good day to Blue Water Key resort, MM 15 in about 7 hours. I usually set the cruise control at 65.

Stormy,

All this FL Keys talk is making me jealous. I love the Keys. I'm supposed to be going to St Thomas in November (rescheduled from June), but the USVI just closed again to tourists and who knows what state it will be in by November. I also have a trip to Europe booked for next summer, but they aren't interested in Americans infecting their continent right now either, so I don't know if any of that will happen. All this keys and Key West talk is making me reconsider my travel plans and book a month in Key West.

j

Fiesta Key is still the upper Keys so you won't have the long drive towing to KW that I did. My linked trip report says I made the drive north back to the Fort on the way out in 8.5 hours. Fiesta Key is mm 70 so cut an hour and a half off that so I would estimate 7.0-7.5hrs depending on traffic. I do remember on the 2018 trip I missed a turn on the way north that put me into the city closer. I was trying to stay in the right lanes because I was slower but the turn-off was on the left (whatever google directions I was following) and I couldn't get across in time when I realized it. So the driver is going to need a good navigator.

I do HIGHLY recommend the lobster reuben at the Keys Fisheries restaurant (gulf side) in Marathon if you are around there at lunchtime. A little pricey, naturally (lobster), but worth it.

May is actually a good time to be in the Keys IMO. The snowbirds have gone home after Easter and the summer daily afternoon rains haven't started yet. Sounds you have plenty of Keys advice in the family. We did a snorkel trip to Looe Key reef but that's a little further down the Keys from where you are.

Good luck!

Bama Ed

PS - and if you see the ugly iguanas all over the place, just keep telling yourself they are plant eaters. :sad2:

My daughter in law already warned me about the iguanas and sent LOTS of pics. Ugh!

Thanks for the food recommendation. And I'm figuring about 7.5 hours for the drive. May tack on another 30 mins just in case.

And I'm figuring about 7.5 hours for the drive. May tack on another 30 mins just in case.
Just remember, it's one way in and one way out. If something happens to block a road timing can be thrown right out the window.

Hi, Stormy. FL resident here. Are you planning to go FW-Long Key in one day?
+ 1 on using the turnpike. South FL is a true zoo and anything you can do to reduce the traffic frustration and danger is highly recommended, including looking at leaving FW and catch U.S. 98 south - U.S. 27 South - I-75 South as an option. See some FL other than concrete super-slab. Google says the mileage FW to Long Key is roughly the same, time is too. Either route, using 50 MPH as an average is pretty close to true.
Not familiar with the Sun Pass mini. Our Sun Pass has the same $25 minimum balance but charges to the cc of choice when it needs to reload. Don't have to fret about reloading it, especially if you're planning TP northbound leaving FL. There is a $1/month admin fee for that, so may not make sense for you. Sounds like you're a frequent FL visitor so thought I offer up the convenience factor.
Add Sunscreen to your camper supply list. Probably preaching-to-the-choir to you on that, but sun intensity when you're on the water in a boat for the day might surprise you.
Let us know your choices and how the trip progresses, enjoy.

P.S. - Can't believe you admitted to letting him have it HIS way... 😲

Yes, one day. We'll have our dog so no airboat for us. And being from sunny California I never go anywhere without sunscreen.

We're still debating whether or not we want to stay in Everglades NP for a couple of nights when we're done at the Keys. Again, the dog is the issue. He's a yapper + the weather means he can't be left in the trailer AND I worry about walking him around (gators). If we don't, we'll take a (long) day and drive to sight see.

I looked at the route you suggested but DH wants to stay on either an interstate or the TP. I think your route is much more scenic, but we have a 'rule' on our long trips, the driver gets final say on routes AND the radio station. Thank God for SiriusXM and Waze.

I may try to talk him into that route northbound, though, when we won't be on a schedule to get somewhere.

I know, I can't believe it either. Oh the things we'll do, the sacrifices we'll make, to get to WDW, right?

So, I agree with what all of my esteemed colleagues have said. I wouldn't go 95 If you paid me!
I take Thunder Rd. until around Celebration and start the toll roads at 417. I don't get off again until the Turnpike dumps me off in Homestead (or actually Florida City). Normally we don't even check what the tolls have been since I just chalk it up to doing business. I went back to our June trip last year and did the tolls for the round trip. The total was $112.95
I'm not sure what you'll be driving but we have 5 axles and are charged accordingly.
As far as the Sunpass, we bought ours several years before we moved to Florida and it was worth it. At the time the only requirement was you had to use it at least once in three years. I recommend the moveable suction cup model over the stick on kind if you have a Class C or Class A and tow a car. That way you can swap it out of the coach and into the toad as necessary. I still use the removable in my car (the Toad) and try to remember to take it down when it's in toad mode so as to not be charged twice. They are more expensive to purchase, $25 than the stick on, which was like $2.50 or $5. But the other one works better if you're switching cars. I have all of our Sunpasses tied into one of my CC's so they always reload without me having to worry about. One last tidbit about the Sunpass, you can also use it to park in certain places. It's great at the airports when picking up and dropping off friends and family. We have used it numerous times at both Orlando and Tampa for short term parking in the garages.
We love the Keys!

We're 3 axles (truck & trailer) so I came up with about $38.00 in tolls (one way). Thanks for the directions. Is 417 an exit number, a milemarker, or a road? I can use it to recalculate the tolls once I know what it is (I hope). I'm a HUGE budgeter so although I understand the cost of business, I just like to have an idea of what the cost of business is, lol.

The SunPass mini works well for us, we only get to FLA every couple of years so the 'big transponder' is probably more than we need.

My son was telling me about the one way in/out so we're going to plan to arrive around 2 hours before the RV Park office closes + it looks like you can register by phone so if there's a problem I can give them a call.

Stormy,

All this FL Keys talk is making me jealous. I love the Keys. I'm supposed to be going to St Thomas in November (rescheduled from June), but the USVI just closed again to tourists and who knows what state it will be in by November. I also have a trip to Europe booked for next summer, but they aren't interested in Americans infecting their continent right now either, so I don't know if any of that will happen. All this keys and Key West talk is making me reconsider my travel plans and book a month in Key West.

j
So many travel plans got messed up this year! We normally do a huge RV trip each year and start planning in Oct/Nov for the following year, but for some reason we just couldn't get excited about anything. We'd think of places and one of us would go 'Nah' or 'Meh' so we just kept putting off decisions. We'd finally 'sort of' decided to go back to Yellowstone and Glacier (for the nth time, we love both places) since we 'couldn't decide on anything new' when Covid hit. It's like the 'fates' knew there'd be no traveling for us in 2020. At least we didn't have to rush around canceling reservations and requesting refunds!

As far as wanting to go to KW, hey, there's never a wrong time to go to the beach! I grew up in So Cal and as far as I'm concerned at day NOT at a beach is a day wasted!

Sorry, 417 is a road and it exits off of I-4. I only mentioned we don't check tolls because I couldn't give you an answer off the top of my head, had to look it up. Your $38 is probably in the ball park. The place we like to stay closes at 5:00pm and has a gate. No late check in's. You can't get in till the next morning. I was worried to death something was going to make us late.

Sorry, 417 is a road and it exits off of I-4. I only mentioned we don't check tolls because I couldn't give you an answer off the top of my head, had to look it up. Your $38 is probably in the ball park. The place we like to stay closes at 5:00pm and has a gate. No late check in's. You can't get in till the next morning. I was worried to death something was going to make us late.

Thanks for the clarification re 417 AND especially for looking up the tolls and confirming.

I notice there seemed to be a lot of RV parks in the Keys that were 'no late check ins' and a few that mentioned locked gates. I can only figure that late arrivals must have been a 'general problem' for whatever reason. The only place we frequent that has a gate has it because they were having problems with people occupying empty (reserved) campsites with no reservations or arriving late then 'forgetting' to register and pay the next day.

It would have been a 'tense' drive for us too. There's nothing worse than worrying about not making it to your next stop!

Thanks for the clarification re 417 AND especially for looking up the tolls and confirming.

I notice there seemed to be a lot of RV parks in the Keys that were 'no late check ins' and a few that mentioned locked gates. I can only figure that late arrivals must have been a 'general problem' for whatever reason. The only place we frequent that has a gate has it because they were having problems with people occupying empty (reserved) campsites with no reservations or arriving late then 'forgetting' to register and pay the next day.

It would have been a 'tense' drive for us too. There's nothing worse than worrying about not making it to your next stop!
There isn't a lot of places we could just slip in and stay for the night. No pull over on the shoulder. I didn't sleep at all the night before and we ended up leaving early. Got there in plenty of time but I couldn't relax until I was parked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!