Free Dining Plan (cost or really free)

lucaster

Earning My Ears
I have been reading conflicting info on various sites.. hopefully someone can clarify for me. I purchased the FREE DINING PLAN option available for Aug to Sept this year.

I have read that you receive vouchers that have a maximum redemption value on them, if you go over.... you pay out of pocket? Other sites have indicated that the vouchers cover fully ANY entree, app, and desert on the eligible rest.'s menu.

hopefully someone knows the TRUE story on this plan

Thanks in advance

You get one table service credit (drink, appetizer, entree, dessert), one counter service credit (drink, entree, dessert if available) and one snack per NIGHT of your trip, per person.

They are on your room key. So if you stay for 4 nights and have 4 people on the plan then you will have 16 TS, 16 CS and 16 snacks total to use as you please.

If you book more restaurants then you have credits for then yes, you'd pay out of pocket.

ok... so if i have lobster and/or primt rib at a rest. and the meal is $80 before taxes... it is totally free as long as its one of the eligible rest's??? for a family of four.... that bill could easily be $200+.... and you would pay nothing???

lucaster said:
ok... so if i have lobster and/or primt rib at a rest. and the meal is $80 before taxes... it is totally free as long as its one of the eligible rest's??? for a family of four.... that bill could easily be $200+.... and you would pay nothing???

I've heard that a few restaurants my have you pay extra for a lobster tail (not sure though) but for the most part, yes, you get to order an appetizer, an entree, a dessert and a soft drink and yes, you'll be covered.

Your room key will show the waiter how many table service credits you have and once use them up, then you pay out of pocket fo any other meals. So if you book 3 table service meals and have 3 table service credits, then you shouldn't have to pay anything out of pocket but if you book 4 table service meals, then you'll have to pay for one out of pocket.

Last year, our family of 6 dined at California Grill (2 credits) and the bill for food was $440, just like magic, it turned to $0 after I presented my room key.

I think the websites you mention talk about two different things: the now extinct meal voucher program, and the Disney Dining Experience that is currently on special.

The 'new' program simply gives you 'meal credits' on your room key - Table Service, Counter Service, and Snack. There are lists floating around with the most recent Table Service/Counter Service locations, and there's new hoopla over snacks being a lot more fun to redeem.

To redeem a counter service credit, you go to one of the listed counter service locations, order an entree, a dessert, and a non-alcoholic beverage (or a combo meal) and give them your room card. They deduct one counter service credit from your pool. There are few things that you can't get, and they're all discussed here, so browse a bit.

To redeem a table service credit, MAKE RESERVATIONS. You go to a restaurant and order an appetizer, entree, dessert, and non-alcoholic beverage (or a buffet) and give them your room card. They deduct one table service credit from your pool, and tip the waitstaff 18% of your comped meal total. There are also exceptions here: if an appetizer or dessert says it's "for two," you normally have to be using two table service credits, and you only get that one dessert/appetizer instead of the normal two. The other exceptions are discussed in detail as well. You also have the option of going to a particularly nice (or fun) restaurant (Signature Dining Experiences) and ordering the same combination but trading in two table service credits instead of one.

The bottom line is, that you should only have to pay extra for *very*'extra' things - you don't pay for the $11.99 pasta dish, and you don't pay for the $34.99 steak, shrimp, and ribs, but you'll pay for your alcohol. If you find a menu that shows an upgrade, do a quick search here: these people will know if they charge extra for it =)

Last year my sister, brother and I went for 8 days on the meal plan special and for the week our total for food equaled around $1500 BUT we paid $000!!! WOOHOO..my favorite..Canada..Happiest celebration on earth chocolate whiskey cake..it was so good I almost cried LOL. Needless to say we are headed back down this year with my mom.

lucaster said:

The servers are great about telling you what is and what is not allowed on the plan. Just tell your server that you're on the dining plan and they will guide you. Remember the tip is also part of the plan, so the bigger the bill, the bigger the tip for the server. There are exceptions. But as a general rule a entree is included. When it says add something else, it's best to ask. I ate at Coral Reef and the appetizer I got was cesaer salad. It said add scallops for an extra amount. The server told me that I could add the scallops and it would be included. While other restraurants will not let you do that. At LeCellier, the desert for 2 can only be purchased by 2 people together using their desert choices combined. And the big desert at beaches and cream (kitchen sink) is not included. Please check the menus because most of them recently changed over the past couple of months, so the choices are not that extensive as they had been in the past.

There is a cost to free dining, its paying rack rate. I look at it costing $50 more per day to stay in a mod instead of a 2 bedroom condo I would stay in otherwise. I also thought I might start going to other parks and not do Disney 4 parks for quite awhile........ so my other "cost" is buying 4 MYW tickets which I "have" to upgrade to annual passes since I can't stand single day tickets. So, "free" dining gets me back into Disney parks for a year of spending when the IOA/US AAA deal of 2 years for $175 was looking really good. I decided it was a good deal for me so I'm doing free dining but I think its a win-win for Disney too.

wow, hadn't realized that US/IOA was doing the good sales again... We did Universal for a couple of years, after the Burger King sale. It was fun (we live close enough to run there for a Sunday morning, ride 6 rides before 10:00am, catch a quick sit-down show/ride, and be at Mr. Chans for DimSum before they sold out of Shrimp Taro) but we eventually had done everything about as many times as we wanted to, so we let our passes expire. It was a great deal, though

Almost as good as having APs and getting free dining =)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter