Free food really for everyone?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
The local schools are providing a bagged breakfast/lunch to area children; all you have to do is drive through the drop-off/pick-up line at the nearest school, open your trunk, roll down your window a bit and tell them (from a distance) how may children you're picking up for (and you could probably just hold up a number of fingers), and they put the meals in your trunk. We live in an area in which the schools provide free breakfast for all children, but free and reduced lunches are need-based. This current program is being advertised as for ALL children.

At first I was skeptical because I thought they were probably just opening it up to everyone because it would be too hard to ask people to prove that they're eligible for free lunch. But the emails and Facebook posts really seem to be pushing that this is for everyone.

Well, I was out with my son today (for a social distance compliant, very legitimate reason) and we were driving by the elementary school that's right down the street from my house (son's old school, he started middle school this year) and I decided to pull in and see what it's all about. This was at a time toward the end of the scheduled pickup time, and we were the only people there and they had tons of food left. There were three workers to hand out the food, all wearing gloves, and a police officer posted at both entrances to the school. They seemed so happy to see us, thanked us for coming, and told me to tell others about the program.

My son was so thrilled! I think it provided just a little bit of normalcy to eat a school lunch, even though he almost never gets the school lunch; I always make his lunch, haha. He was like "oh I remember these, I love these" over the little juice pouches, and he said the school pizza tasted just like he remembered.

So what do you guys think, is it ok to take advantage of this, or is it "taking advantage" in a bad way. We don't need the food, in reality. And although they had so much food there today that it looked like some was definitely going to end up going to waste (the fresh stuff, anyway), I'm sure they would eventually adjust the numbers of meals prepared based on how many people are showing up. On the other hand, it would only take me five minutes or so to run up there in the morning and grab the food for him and his sister, and it really saves me the time and the aggravation of being pestered for food all day while I'm trying to get work done. And it would be a tiny bit of excitement in an otherwise very predictable day--what is the meal going to be today? Plus, it's a safe reason to get out of the house for just a few minutes each day.

Would you take the food or not?

The school I was working at last week redoing some flooring had a drive up food thing
I thought it was nice and good for the kids.
And they are still doing it even though school has went to teaching completely online

I don’t have any school age kids but I think it’s for everyone unless otherwise advertised. The way I understand it, schools may lose federal money if people don’t take advantage of the program. Also it keeps some people working who would otherwise not be paid. At least that’s the impression I get from our local school district. Of course it may vary in other areas. This is in North Carolina.

Ours is providing one breakfast and one lunch per day for all students (under 18).
I am not sure how many people are actually going to pick up the meals everyday especially since recently 2 employees at one of the schools distributing the meals tested positive.

Our public schools, all the way through HS, provide a free hot breakfast to any student who shows up in the cafeteria before classes. DD's classes start at 7:20 AM, and the breakfast service starts at 6:30 AM.

Since our schools shut down, they have still provided those breakfasts to any kid who shows up, and also provide free lunch to all kids on the federal lunch program.

One of our local school districts did free lunch for every student before this virus. There was such a high percentage of kids on the Free/Reduced Lunch program that the federal and state money they got were able to cover the entire district.

Personally, I wouldn't go get food because I wouldn't want to risk the exposure.

Last edited:

Our school district is doing this also. If you're unable to come pick it up, they send a school bus to your home to drop it off. It's for everyone in the district.

My son was so thrilled! I think it provided just a little bit of normalcy to eat a school lunch, even though he almost never gets the school lunch; I always make his lunch, haha. He was like "oh I remember these, I love these" over the little juice pouches, and he said the school pizza tasted just like he remembered.

Nourishment comes in more forms than just food. If there is enough food and it helps your kids to feel a sense of normalcy and something to look forward to during the long day, :cloud9: then why not?

Our district in CA is also doing this. It's open to any child living in the district. You don't have to prove the kid is a student in the district, but you have to have the kid(s) in the car and will be given a breakfast and lunch for each child present.

Our district was doing kids HAD to be with you; no picking up extra. Now they went to you have to have some documentation on dash easy for them to see—(and must be one for EACH student) either a report card, student ID, or some other items I don’t quite remember.

You all are making some good points. Those cafeteria workers really did seem very happy to see us. One of them told us they'd see us tomorrow and another one told us twice to be sure to tell others to come. I guess even if they were gong to be paid while the schools are closed, this provides better job security. And I had not thought about the federal funding.

It was all done very safely. You pull up, crack your window and tell them how many children you're picking up for (they keep their distance, and I imagine I could just hold up two fingers through the closed window if I want), pop your trunk, and they place the bagged meals in the trunk and close it. They are wearing gloves. I brought the meals inside and opened the bags and discarded them and them moved the food into our own dishes, cups, etc, so there was no eating off of or out of the containers the food came in. Basically the same procedure as when we get take-out food. Actually, this is probably considerably safer than a trip to the grocery store and it will save me from having to go as often, so overall we're probably safer.

Sure, take advantage of it. In the summers our county has a food program for any child birth-18 regardless of income. They have enough, so if your kids will eat it, take some.

My neighbor is a nutritionist for our school system which is all free breakfast/lunch for all. I have toddlers but last summer she begged me multiple times a week to bring the kids because she was afraid they would stop offering it at the school closest to us (we’re basically suburban compared to the rest of the city so the numbers are probably low here). Luckily the school is less then a half mile away so I would bring them. She sent me a message on NextDoor asking me to go during this time but they aren’t having it at the schools this time... a food truck essentially is bringing it around and the closest stop is 3 miles away. I just don’t want to take the kids out anywhere like that and get them out of the car. If it was set up like yours I would go.
My kids are getting bored of my lunches so maybe I’ll take them later in the week. 🤣 I’m a stay at home mom and we are use to get getting lunch out several times a week so they would probably like a change of scenery.

My dgd's school system is doing this as well. They started at picking up in drive thru line at area schools then added having buses bring them to designated bus stops.
They started bringing the schools student work packets in case the parents can't go to schools(where the put the packets outside in bins).

I am honestly impressed with how the school system has quickly adapted to this change

Schools get federal grants to provide free summer lunches to everyone in our area.

Immediately when our schools shut down they began the feeding program for anyone under 18. Our daughter walked over with a friend one day and grabbed lunch at our local elementary school.

One of the dilemmas and concerns to closing schools here was that the free lunch and free breakfast are the only meals for some children. There are districts in our area where they bus drivers are delivering meals to the neighborhoods

My school is doing twice a week pickup (Monday and Thursday) from 11-1. On Monday, they give 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches for Monday-Wednesday and on Thursday they give 4 of each for Thursday-Sunday.

There has been a great response from my understanding. We haven't done it mainly because DS really isn't interested. He would have to be the one to go get them because DH and I are still working.

My district recently started sending texts emphasizing all ages. I have encouraged my girl and mom go as a means of getting out for a bit as we are lucky to live within walking distance. The district will give them both food. I don't know how much it is utilized. My daughter says it isn't very busy.

We're taking advantage of it. It's similar to the summer program where they offer free lunch to anyone 18 and under. My kids never wanted to eat school lunch before but now it's become interesting. Some days they love everything and others they hardly eat any of it, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter