French Quarter to the Fantasy...7 Nights in the Eastern Caribbean, April 2019! Completed June 7, 2020!

Just subscribing to your trip report. I love it so far!

Thank you so much! It's always nice to have new people pop in and say hello! :wave2:

Your pictures and videos of the The Baths are amazing. We have done the eastern Caribbean a couple years ago and loved it, especially Trunk Bay.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but we loved Trunk Bay Beach too 😍

Honestly, if and when I go on this same cruise again, I would probably do the same excursions, as lame as that sounds ::yes::

we always reserve Palo dinner, but i think we may try the brunch this year.
Which did you like better?

Well, it's been a long time since I've done Palo for dinner, but I loved, loved, loved the brunch. I think I would book both since I don't love the MDR dinners anyway.

The Fantasy is our favorite ship

Same :love:

APRIL 10, 2019
TRUNK BAY BEACH

If you read my last trip report about our EPIC May trip,
y'all already know that I have a knack for choosing the wrong side of vehicles, sigh.
Well, this time wasn't any different but luckily I gave my camera to Nicholas
who was able to snap a couple pics on the ride to Trunk Bay Beach...

Serious, like, holy cow gorgeous, right??!

When we got there, our guides went over some of the rules
and explained how things would work.
Afterwards, we walked over to the beach
to get any snorkeling equipment/flotation devices we might need,
and then we were pretty much on our own for the next few hours.

This is the little island that you could snorkel around...

I loved how this beach was super calm...

We didn't bother renting chairs,
we just laid out some towels and got ourselves set up on the beach.

Nicholas and I wanted to go snorkeling,
but Allie is scared of fish so her and my mom stayed closer to the shore swimming.

Just a note/warning about our snorkel equipment…
right before our cruise, I had read about these "Snorkel Masks,"
that you put over your whole face and just breathe into normally,
instead of just the mouth piece breathing tube.
Against my better judgement,
I will post this picture just so you can see what I'm talking about...
I liked the idea of these because the one and only time I went snorkeling in my life
was about 20-years ago and water splashed into my snorkel tube
and I breathed it in while I was in the ocean over my head and almost drowned :crazy2:

As you can see, we did use these masks this day
and we also used them on Castaway Cay
(where I literally almost drowned…that story will be coming soon),
and we were fine.
But since then, I have heard that these can be VERY unsafe
and people have died while using them because they rebreathe their CO2 and pass out.
Here's is just one site that explains it, if you care to read, but it's also been on the news, etc.

https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/snorkelling-full-face-mask-dangers.htm
After hearing about this and having my Castaway Cay experience,
I will not be snorkeling any more in my life :sad2:

The time passed quickly, but it was long enough for us to see and do everything we wanted to.

We started heading back to the bus around 11:30,

and after a stop in the little shop to check out the t-shirts and souvenirs
(Sorry, I didn't take pictures of our merch), we were on our way.

To be continued in next post...

But first a real life update.

Like so many of you, our vacation plans were disrupted by Covid19 closures.
Mike and I were supposed to be visiting WDW 3/15-3/23 for his birthday trip
(today is his actual birthday ☹ ).
I spent most of the day Friday un-planning everything I had so carefully and obsessively planning for months. Luckily, we got pretty much everything fully refunded and have travel credit for future flights, but I've still been sad and moping around for a couple days.
Don't get me wrong…I get it, I fully understand why this needs to happen,
I am a nurse after all.
But it still just made me sad and kind of unfocused these last couple days.
Well, it's not in my nature to sit around feeling sorry for myself for too long
and I am trying to see the bright side of things today.
We still have a trip planned for July and I have another trip in October with Allie, my mom, and my little niece.
And most of all, we are healthy and haven't personally been affected
by Covid19 at this point, for which I am most grateful.

So I came here this morning feeling kind of mopey and unmotivated, but thought I'd try to update my trip report anyway just so I can think about happier times. And you know what?? It kind of worked. I actually feel somewhat happier than I've felt in days.

I'm sorry to all of you who are in the same boat as we are, but together we can get through this. I pray all of you stay healthy and that you'll continue to write about your past trips, if only to give each other something to do to pass the time while we are socially distancing ourselves from others.
Best wishes, all :grouphug: (virtual hugs since we shouldn't be touching each other 😉 )

Last edited:
If you read my last trip report about our EPIC May trip,
y'all already know that I have a knack for choosing the wrong side of vehicles, sigh.
:lmao:
I gave my camera to Nicholas
who was able to snap a couple pics on the ride to Trunk Bay Beach...
Wow! Glad you passed the camera! Great shots!
::yes::
This really made me stop...
There's a different emergency number for landlines vs cell?
"OMG! Harry's in trouble! Call an ambulance! Call a doctor!"
"Harry? Harry? Hang in there! We're going to get you some help! But... Harry? Do you happen to know the area code for Virgin Islands?"
This is the little island that you could snorkel around...
Love that! Cool!
Allie is scared of fish so her and my mom stayed closer to the shore swimming.
Awww...
I'm scared of water, so I get this.
You're wearing it wrong.

:rolleyes:
I liked the idea of these because the one and only time I went snorkeling in my life
was about 20-years ago and water splashed into my snorkel tube
and I breathed it in while I was in the ocean over my head and almost drowned :crazy2:
I've heard that from people. But... the same thing would happen with this, no? Unless the snorkel part is sealed, one way only?
(where I literally almost drowned…that story will be coming soon),
Uh, oh...
But since then, I have heard that these can be VERY unsafe
and people have died while using them because they rebreathe their CO2 and pass out.
Doesn't surprise me. Was obvious the first time I saw them that they couldn't be used for serious diving... of any kind.
Oh... That doesn't sound good.
I spent most of the day Friday un-planning everything I had so carefully and obsessively planning for months.
<sigh> Yeah... I had a day like that.
I've still been sad and moping around for a couple days.
:hug:
So I came here this morning feeling kind of mopey and unmotivated, but thought I'd try to update my trip report anyway just so I can think about happier times. And you know what?? It worked. I actually feel happier than I've felt in days.
Good!!! :goodvibes

This really made me stop...
There's a different emergency number for landlines vs cell?
"OMG! Harry's in trouble! Call an ambulance! Call a doctor!"
"Harry? Harry? Hang in there! We're going to get you some help! But... Harry? Do you happen to know the area code for Virgin Islands?"

I know! Isn't that crazy? Honestly, I don't know that I would've thought to run back to read the sign if there had been an actual emergency o_O

Awww...
I'm scared of water, so I get this.

You are??? Aren't you a certified Scuba Diver?? How do you do that if you're afraid of water?

You're wearing it wrong.

Maybe that was my problem :P

I've heard that from people. But... the same thing would happen with this, no? Unless the snorkel part is sealed, one way only?

Water can't splash into it since it's fairly tightly sealed.

Oh... That doesn't sound good.

It really wasn't :sad2:

<sigh> Yeah... I had a day like that.

Oh, no! I'm sorry! I didn't know you had plans to go down soon? I thought you were done for a while after reading your last update…unless I missed something after that??

APRIL 10, 2019
THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE

I made sure to sit on the right side of the vehicle,
which just so happens to be the right side of the vehicle,
on the way back so I could take as many pictures as I wanted,
since while I am thankful that Nicholas took a couple on the way there,
he literally only took a couple…doesn't he know that I need to take 10 million??

Anyway, I won't make you look at all 10 million,
but I did get some gorgeous shots on the way back to the ferry...

And then we were back on the ferry by 11:51.
This time we went right up to the top...

Nicholas looks like he's kicking it back with a beer in this,
but I assure you, it was Root Beer...

While we were waiting to depart,
another lady on our excursion had a $20 bill in her hand and it literally blew away.
All of us who had seen it happen just kind of gasped!
Even worse was that it landed in the water right next to us
and the crew tried to kind of fish it out and almost got it a couple times but sadly,
they just couldn't save it in the end.
Bummer! But hold onto your money tightly when you're on a boat!

We departed at 12:07...

and got back to our ship at 12:46.

But instead of getting right back on the ship,
we went shopping at the little district right near the dock.

We poked around for a little bit.
Allie got a shirt for her boyfriend,
and Nicholas somehow convinced my mom to buy him a watch and call it his graduation gift.
I got a couple postcards and a bag of coffee to bring home to Mike.
Sorry I didn't take pictures of any of it…
I actually never really care to see what other people buy
but after reading the thread about what people like to see in trip reports,
someone mentioned that they like to see the merch that people get.
I'll try to be a better trip reporter next time and get some pictures of this stuff,
just in case people really want to see ::yes::

We had brought more uncrustables with us but had eaten them earlier
so we were kind of starving by the time we actually got back on the ship around 2.
Because of this, we headed straight up to Cabanas.

That's up next!

I know! Isn't that crazy? Honestly, I don't know that I would've thought to run back to read the sign if there had been an actual emergency o_O
"I'll just memorize it. I'm sure in an emergency, I'll remember."
You are??? Aren't you a certified Scuba Diver?? How do you do that if you're afraid of water?
Yeah...

I can't go in the ocean off a beach more than a few inches... but if I have a mask on, and can see... I'm okay.

When I went surfing with the kids in Hawaii... I really had to block stuff out of my mind to do it.
Water can't splash into it since it's fairly tightly sealed.
Ah!
Oh, no! I'm sorry! I didn't know you had plans to go down soon? I thought you were done for a while after reading your last update…unless I missed something after that??
Had an Alaska cruise booked, with a week on shore after. Had tons of canceling to do. Still have a couple.

I have a Disney resort booked for June, but... that happened recently (before the Corona thing, though)… Still holding onto it, but... haven't booked flights or bought tickets or... anything else.
I made sure to sit on the right side of the vehicle,
which just so happens to be the right side of the vehicle,
on the way back
he literally only took a couple…doesn't he know that I need to take 10 million??
::yes::
I did get some gorgeous shots on the way back to the ferry...
Yes you did!
another lady on our excursion had a $20 bill in her hand and it literally blew away.
All of us who had seen it happen just kind of gasped!
Oops... was it for a tip, perhaps? In which case, the only people who lost out were the crew!
But instead of getting right back on the ship,
we went shopping at the little district right near the dock.
I'd be a bit hesitant about that. I imagine the prices are very high there.
Nicholas somehow convinced my mom to buy him a watch and call it his graduation gift.
Because grandkid.

The beach pictures look lovely. I am always nervous when I snorkel. I have been fortunate enough to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef and the Galápagos Islands Wonderful but a little scary.
I have been feeling the same way as you, down a little, the news is terrifying and it makes me on edge.
I know we most likely won’t be going to Disney in April but it was fun to book the trip and make FP+ on the fly.
You all look very relaxed in the pictures enjoying Island Life.

Yeah...

I can't go in the ocean off a beach more than a few inches... but if I have a mask on, and can see... I'm okay.

When I went surfing with the kids in Hawaii... I really had to block stuff out of my mind to do it.

That's so funny, but I totally get that…I'm just surprised that you're like that since you snorkel.

I'm even surprised at myself that I did it since I am not a great swimmer by any means, but I have been thinking about it for years and I really wanted to snorkel at Castaway Cay to see the Mickey & Minnie shipwreck. I had been to CC three times before and never tried so I kind of talked myself into it. Also, this snorkel mask gave me a false sense of security, but in hindsight, was kind of a bad idea.

Had an Alaska cruise booked, with a week on shore after. Had tons of canceling to do. Still have a couple.

Oh, no! I'm so sorry, that's terrible and so disappointing :sad1:
Any hope of rebooking that for another time?

I have a Disney resort booked for June, but... that happened recently (before the Corona thing, though)… Still holding onto it, but... haven't booked flights or bought tickets or... anything else.

Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. We have a family trip planned for July, but after seeing that news conference last night, I'm starting to wonder if that's even going to happen. We already have flights and three of us have APs, although Mike's hasn't been activated yet. I find the uncertainty of all of this, along with what's happening in the world, very anxiety provoking. I'm still going to try my best to stay positive but boy, is it ever hard :sad1:

Oops... was it for a tip, perhaps? In which case, the only people who lost out were the crew!

It was for a beverage, but they gave it to her anyway :thumbsup2

I'd be a bit hesitant about that. I imagine the prices are very high there.

Too late. Where were you and your warning last April?

Because grandkid.

So true!

The beach pictures look lovely. I am always nervous when I snorkel.

I'm not gonna lie…I was nervous too. I really won't ever do it again, but I'm glad I did it this time.

I have been fortunate enough to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef and the Galápagos Islands

Holy cow, that's amazing! I'd love to see some of those pictures :-)

I have been feeling the same way as you, down a little, the news is terrifying and it makes me on edge.

I feel the same. And I watch just about 30-60 minutes of the news every day and then turn on youtube or movies. It just makes me so anxious.

I know we most likely won’t be going to Disney in April but it was fun to book the trip and make FP+ on the fly.

Do whatever you need to do to relax and take your mind off things :hug:

That's so funny, but I totally get that…I'm just surprised that you're like that since you snorkel.
I’m not sure, but assume it’s because I drowned once and almost drowned a second time when I was little.
I'm even surprised at myself that I did it since I am not a great swimmer by any means, but I have been thinking about it for years and I really wanted to snorkel at Castaway Cay to see the Mickey & Minnie shipwreck. I had been to CC three times before and never tried so I kind of talked myself into it. Also, this snorkel mask gave me a false sense of security, but in hindsight, was kind of a bad idea.
Very curious to read all about what happened.
Oh, no! I'm so sorry, that's terrible and so disappointing :sad1:
Any hope of rebooking that for another time?
I hope so. Will have to wait and see, like everyone else I guess.
Yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. We have a family trip planned for July, but after seeing that news conference last night, I'm starting to wonder if that's even going to happen. We already have flights and three of us have APs, although Mike's hasn't been activated yet. I find the uncertainty of all of this, along with what's happening in the world, very anxiety provoking. I'm still going to try my best to stay positive but boy, is it ever hard :sad1:
:hug:
Too late. Where were you and your warning last April?
Right here! You just had to ask!

Against my better judgement,
You are the cutest!!!

YIKES. I had never heard of these before, but that sounds really scary.

Best wishes, all :grouphug: (virtual hugs since we shouldn't be touching each other 😉 )
Sending you a nice wave and maybe an elbow bump from Chicago! Stay healthy!

Your report is making me happier, too! I'm sorry to hear about your canceled trip, hope that you can rebook soon!

::yes:: :cloud9:

Uh oh... :( I have a love/hate relationship with water. I am both in love with its beauty but deathly afraid of it's potential. Hopefully this experience wasn't too traumatizing :hug:

Mike and I were supposed to be visiting WDW 3/15-3/23 for his birthday trip
Ugh. A big ugh.

I've still been sad and moping around for a couple days.
Don't get me wrong…I get it, I fully understand why this needs to happen,
Me, too, but it doesn't stop the fact that this all just stinks, big time. I sure hope we can all get back to "normal" soon, and that everyone stays healthy.

I pray all of you stay healthy and that you'll continue to write about your past trips, if only to give each other something to do to pass the time
Same. These TRs are helping more than anything else right now :goodvibes

APRIL 10, 2019
GOOD-BYE EASTERN CARIBBEAN

I think we were too hungry to pause and take any pictures of our lunches,
but I did remember to take a couple pics of the cute desserts...

It was lovely sitting in Cabanas with St. Thomas right outside our window 🥰

After lunch, we just went back to our stateroom to rest and clean up before dinner.
By the time we were walking back to dinner, we had already set sail...

It's funny how sometimes if I'm busy on the ship, I won't even notice it happening.
So long, St. Thomas!

Our dinner tonight was in Animator's Palate again and since this was our second night there, it was time for the special show that I was super excited about!

They did change the menu from the first night and sadly,
there were no Black Truffle Pasta Pursettes tonight...

I actually do have food pictures, but I'll post them in the next post.

Stay tuned!

Uh oh... :( I have a love/hate relationship with water. I am both in love with its beauty but deathly afraid of it's potential. Hopefully this experience wasn't too traumatizing :hug:

It's really just that I should have known better ::yes::

Me, too, but it doesn't stop the fact that this all just stinks, big time. I sure hope we can all get back to "normal" soon, and that everyone stays healthy.

Totally agree! :hug:

Same. These TRs are helping more than anything else right now :goodvibes

Absolutely. I can only watch about 30 minutes or so of the news, and Facebook is a nightmare these days, as is just scrolling through the "What's New," posts here. I find the TR pages are a safe place to go for a bit of reprieve.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter