Frontier travel credit?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
I had a trip booked for the beginning of April and was flying to and from on Frontier. The trip obviously isn’t going to happen now, and Frontier sent an email saying that if I cancelled now, they’d give me the money back in travel credits (travel had to be booked within 90 days) plus an additional $200 in travel credits ($50/person that has to be booked before 12/31/20).
What are your thoughts? Am I going to be able to travel in June/July as originally planned? Or should I ask for my money back?
I realize no one knows anything for sure. Just looking for any advice/input...

Thanks Shoreward! I’m leaning towards just letting them refund me. Who knows when I will be able to travel again?
I cancelled a friend's reservation yesterday, hoping that the schedule will be extended within 90 days.

I didn't even notice it said 90 days. Although that is usually a book by date not use by at least. I'm guessing they are anticipating a ton of cancellations anyhow so they are just trying to get as many people to rebook now instead of cancel outright.

I didn't take advantage for my 4/18 flight. But I'm only one person so $50 wasn't worth it. Still holding out hope even if Disney isn't open that I'll still be able to travel to see my boyfriend.

They are trying to get people to take this deal so they don’t have to refund cash if/when they cancel flights. I suspect they will start canceling some flights that are not going to turn a profit. If people take this deal, it’s a cheap loan to keep Frontier afloat. If they have to start cancelling flights and refunding it will be financially hard for Frontier

I didn’t take the deal, and this morning they shifted my outbound flight about 2 hours later. I’ll probably decline the change and try to get them to refund cash. The already cheap flight has decreased by 2/3 in price since I booked it. And I am no longer confident that it will be safe to travel on the dates we picked. Nor am I confident that WDW will be open.

They are trying to get people to take this deal so they don’t have to refund cash if/when they cancel flights. I suspect they will start canceling some flights that are not going to turn a profit. If people take this deal, it’s a cheap loan to keep Frontier afloat. If they have to start cancelling flights and refunding it will be financially hard for Frontier

I didn’t take the deal, and this morning they shifted my outbound flight about 2 hours later. I’ll probably decline the change and try to get them to refund cash. The already cheap flight has decreased by 2/3 in price since I booked it. And I am no longer confident that it will be safe to travel on the dates we picked. Nor am I confident that WDW will be open.
I did the same. My flights were April 3-7. I got an email today that said there were changes to my flight and I needed to call to rebook. I looked online and both flights are cancelled. I am just going to get a refund. However, when I called, the message said that the wait was over 2 hours and if your flight wasn’t within 48 hours to hang up and call later. Then they hung up. LOL.
I’m sure they’re completely inundated right now, so I’m not complaining. I’m going to try during the wee hours of the night and see if that’s a better time to get through.

Not sure what to recommend. I'd be tempted to take it, but wanted to share my recent experience which might lean me towards requesting a refund if they made me this offer.

On March 10, I canceled a Frontier flight (for other reasons) and took a travel credit (they call it a "credit shell") because I was going to use it later in the summer. I was eligible since I was outside 60 days. Then I rebooked my May WDW trip on a different airline that had the days I wanted to go to FL since Frontier is limited service where I am and it was bringing us in at 1 a.m. for a weekend trip.

So I found another trip I wanted to take this summer and planned to use Frontier for that when our time is more flexible for their limited schedule. I've now been trying to use that credit to book August and every single time I try to use it I get an error message saying my code is not valid. Extensive online research seems to indicate I'm definitely using the right code.

I emailed them on 3/18 and they said it might take more than 10 days to respond on the auto-email I got. Still nothing, and can't call either, I called last night and the recording said 2-hour wait and they only want to talk to people flying within 72 hours. I totally understand that, but if they are going to limit time frame when customers have to rebook (my date is June 10, so I've got wiggle room) they should have a mechanism so customers can talk to someone to deal with errors on their website.

Although, I joined their Discount Den 10 days ago (not realizing I'd keep getting the credit shell error! ) so I could fly my youngest DD for free and they sent a $100 voucher for joining. THAT works when I tried to plug it in. It's the credit shells that aren't working, at least for me.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding something?!? I haven't flown Frontier in a while and I can see on my account there is a credit shell, but it just won't apply to my payment

Edited to add: @MarBee I missed your most recent post when I typed this :). Good luck and I hope you can get through!

Not sure what to recommend. I'd be tempted to take it, but wanted to share my recent experience which might lean me towards requesting a refund if they made me this offer.

On March 10, I canceled a Frontier flight (for other reasons) and took a travel credit (they call it a "credit shell") because I was going to use it later in the summer. I was eligible since I was outside 60 days. Then I rebooked my May WDW trip on a different airline that had the days I wanted to go to FL since Frontier is limited service where I am and it was bringing us in at 1 a.m. for a weekend trip.

So I found another trip I wanted to take this summer and planned to use Frontier for that when our time is more flexible for their limited schedule. I've now been trying to use that credit to book August and every single time I try to use it I get an error message saying my code is not valid. Extensive online research seems to indicate I'm definitely using the right code.

I emailed them on 3/18 and they said it might take more than 10 days to respond on the auto-email I got. Still nothing, and can't call either, I called last night and the recording said 2-hour wait and they only want to talk to people flying within 72 hours. I totally understand that, but if they are going to limit time frame when customers have to rebook (my date is June 10, so I've got wiggle room) they should have a mechanism so customers can talk to someone to deal with errors on their website.

Although, I joined their Discount Den 10 days ago (not realizing I'd keep getting the credit shell error! ) so I could fly my youngest DD for free and they sent a $100 voucher for joining. THAT works when I tried to plug it in. It's the credit shells that aren't working, at least for me.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding something?!? I haven't flown Frontier in a while and I can see on my account there is a credit shell, but it just won't apply to my payment

Edited to add: @MarBee I missed your most recent post when I typed this :). Good luck and I hope you can get through!
Their website is just junk. No surprise that you can’t get the credit to apply. I doubt they place much priority on fixing bugs that allow people to spend credits. “You can always call” does not fly anymore. Every company in the travel industry is getting slammed with phone calls.

Their website is just junk. No surprise that you can’t get the credit to apply. I doubt they place much priority on fixing bugs that allow people to spend credits. “You can always call” does not fly anymore. Every company in the travel industry is getting slammed with phone calls.
So I got a follow up email later, and it said not to try to call because there’s too many people calling. It said that tomorrow they are launching a way to handle it online. Seeing this does not make me optimistic. 😬

I played a game of chicken with Frontier, I refused to cancel (all other aspects of April trip are cancelled) and they were holding firm on the flight even though the only 4 booked seats left on the flight were under my reservation. This morning I got an e-mail my flight was cancelled and they moved me to a flight a day earlier. I called and they offered me the travel voucher plus a $50/pp travel credit or a refund. I took the refund.

They are moving me all over the place. First they re-scheduled me for 2 hours later, and then 3 days later, they moved me from the 9pm Friday flight to a 12pm Thursday flight. Been trying all morning to get through. If they were to have chat support they could handle multiple customers at once.

@MarBee How did you make out?
I FINALLY got my issue resolved after 2 weeks. I saw a different # to call on Twitter, and they picked up in like a minute or 2. The rep was super helpful and wanted me to book until I got to the payment screen to make sure the credit applied and it did.

Rebooked my flight, no confirmation email and it's nowhere to be found in my account. I call back and I'm on hold less than a minute again. This rep tells me to try to book again while on the phone, I get 1/2 way through the screens and the phone disconnects.

So I try again on my own, and finally got it to work once I made my credits and voucher break even with the cost of the new flights. Oddly, every time I tried to book, the cost of carry on bags and seats varied... For bags I saw $36, $32 and $28. Seats were priced differently too. I deleted cookies at one point since the prices were going up every time I tried even though the flight itself stayed the same.

For anyone that can't reach Frontier, try (801) 401-9005. (Unfortunately, I lost the post I found on Twitter but I'm 99% sure this is the # I called. Before posting, I just called it to check and it was a Frontier #).

Last edited:
So I had both flights cancelled and chose the refund. My return flight allowed me to do this online. I got a confirmation that it was cancelled, and I would be refunded. My arriving flight made me call. I tried a few times and gave up as soon as the “wait time exceeds 2 hours” message played. Finally I tried in the wee hours of the night. Waited 45 mins, got through, and then was disconnected after going through the process. Called back and waited 80 minutes. I got the credit and confirmation.
However, this was all last week, and the credit still hasn’t posted yet.

Oh gosh, sorry it was such an ordeal. I hope your credit gets posted soon.
Thanks! A minuscule frustration compared to many folks’ situation right now.

Just an update: my return flight credit posted to my card today but not my arriving flight. Turns out they gave me airline credit for that one instead. I’ll attempt to call again this morning to try to get it sorted.

So another update for anyone following: I called this morning and got through fairly quickly. I explained that I wanted a refund and not a credit. The person took about 15 minutes to process the credit. Then I asked for a confirmation email. It confirmed she process a flight credit. Ugh. Stayed on the phone for another 45 minutes. She sent another confirmation of a flight credit but said that the “back office” was processing the credit card refund and I would see it in 7 days. I’m not real optimistic.

I literally cannot keep track of how many flights Frontier has cancelled. A travel credit is worthless if they keep cancelling my flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter