Frustrated, confused.... can I fix this?

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
I had a night on waitlist for CCV studio to complete a stay (already had partial stay booked) . Of course, I saw availability myself and didn't want to take the chance of losing it. Grabbed it by borrowing points which (as of today) I believed could be returned. I did NOT modify my existing reservation. I added it on as a new reservation.

I would really have preferred to buy OTU points instead of borrowing and saw that even after reserving my night, it was still showing available. So, I called MS to see if they could pick it up for me with OTU points by modifying my existing reservation, and then cancel the other reservation and return my borrowed points. The CM was completely confused and didn't understand. She cancelled the single night I had reserved myself and then told me I had already bought 20 OTU points this year and I could only buy 4 more. This isn't correct. I bought some but not 20. But I second guessed myself and said fine just buy whatever I can and return whatever you can. She said she couldn't book the room for me and got all panicked talking about how I was going to lose the room. So she modified my longer stay to include this last night I need but still with borrowed points.

This all took a ton of time and basically, she could have just merged my reservations to accomplish the same thing. Shouldn't she have been able to do what I was asking?

So, I hung up and looked back to see my OTU point situation. I have bought 14 but I can still buy 10. It's still worth it to me to not have to borrow 10 points. So, what should I do? Call and beg a new CM to sell me OTU points when I'm not making a new reservation? Call and reserve a random 10 point room buy buying OTU points, hang up, cancel it and then call back and ask them to redistribute?

The problem is, I've got a split stay booked with banked points (60), borrowed points(12), OTU points (14) and 4 current year points (all I had left). So, I honestly I don't even know what points are being used where at this point. But I know if I buy 10 OTU points, I would like them to put 10 borrowed points back.

Does this make sense? Can anyone help?

Here is the thing, though. OTU points can not be used until banked and borrowed points have been used,

Until those borrowed points go back, you can’t replace them with OTU points, It is like transferred points...your own points, other than current UY, have to be used first.

So, the only option I see is to book that night again by calling and buying the OTU....then cancel the night you booked with borrowed points.

If that night is now gone, then the only way to get the borrowed points back is to cancel what you did, let them go back, and then do the fake night, cancel, and those OTU points will be there if it shows up again.

I think that is probsbly why the CM couldn’t do it the way you explained.

Here is the thing, though. OTU points can not be used until banked and borrowed points have been used,

Until those borrowed points go back, you can’t replace them with OTU points, It is like transferred points...your own points, other than current UY, have to be used first.

So, the only option I see is to book that night again by calling and buying the OTU....then cancel the night you booked with borrowed points.

If that night is now gone, then the only way to get the borrowed points back is to cancel what you did, let them go back, and then do the fake night, cancel, and those OTU points will be there if it shows up again.

I think that is probsbly why the CM couldn’t do it the way you explained.

So, that is exactly what I tried to do! I didn't want the CM to cancel my one night first. I don't know why she did that! I wanted her to modify my 2 night into a 3 night (the room was there - she said there was more than 1) buying one time use points for the modification. Then she should have cancelled my one night only and returned the points! That's what we're both saying, right?

UGH!

I literally explained it 3 times and she still cancelled my one night ressie first! And then told me I could only buy 4 OTU points, etc etc.

Hence the frustration! lol

So, that is exactly what I tried to do! I didn't want the CM to cancel my one night first. I don't know why she did that! I wanted her to modify my 2 night into a 3 night (the room was there - she said there was more than 1) buying one time use points for the modification. Then she should have cancelled my one night only and returned the points! That's what we're both saying, right?

UGH!

I literally explained it 3 times and she still cancelled my one night ressie first! And then told me I could only buy 4 OTU points, etc etc.

Hence the frustration! lol

Yes. I think she must have gotten confused for sure. Once she canceled the night with borrowed points it complicates things,

Only Thing you can do now is buy a night with OTU points, cancel it to put them in your account And waitlist that one night as it will pull the points as long as your current borrowed points are in something,

Then you can cancel that extra night she used borrowed points for ans hope they are still returning them.

Wondering if the following would be possible
1. Book a fake night and use/buy OTU points.
2. Cancel the night to free up the OTU points.
3. Reallocate points from the current reservation with the OTU points, that way the borrowed points should be freed up.

This assumes as borrowed points can be reallocated with OTU points.

Wondering if the following would be possible
1. Book a fake night and use/buy OTU points.
2. Cancel the night to free up the OTU points.
3. Reallocate points from the current reservation with the OTU points, that way the borrowed points should be freed up.

This assumes as borrowed points can be reallocated with OTU points.

As long as borrowed points are in the membership, it will not use OTU points first,

I did think of one way it could work if someone has more than one contract with enough points in the same membership to make some temporary moves.

Do, as you say, buy OTU points for a fake trip and then cancel,

Go to modify the original trip that uses the borrowed points, but don’t select that contract that the borrowed points came from. Only use the other points and OTU.

This way, it can’t take the borrowed points. But, as I mentioned, you have to have enough points left over to do this without the contract that the borrowed points came from.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!