Fundraising Ideas for Individuals

CalDisneyMomof2

DIS Veteran
As many of you know, youth sports are a big investment! My kids currently play baseball, basketball and inline hockey - sometimes all at the same time. More recently (and ultimately my youngest son's goal) they've begun a Learn to Play ice hockey program, complimentary courtesy of the Anaheim Ducks.

Well, they love it. They excel at it. And again, for my younger son it is his dream to play in college so although it may not be likely, I will support his dreams. However, ice hockey is INCREDIBLY expensive. For them to play a 5 month season it will cost nearly $2,000 (for both) once uniforms and additional equipment is purchased (that ice needs and inline doesn't use).

We've already discussed with them that this is a commitment and is costly so they must be dedicated. (They're 7 and 9 and understand completely) For Easter we've asked grandparents for practical gifts (new gloves, helmet, skates etc. - we're fine with used equipment as well). Their birthdays are well after the season begins (several months later) so can't ask for equipment until then.

We, as parents, would never want to deprive our kids of their passions but goodness, it is not cheap! I'm already thinking that the first place these funds will come from is our vacation funds. We'll have to stretch our trips out further. However, does anyone have ideas of fundraisers they can do to raise money for themselves? Is that in poor taste? I don't feel comfortable starting a Gofundme or similar but was wondering if anyone has done a different type of fundraising for their children? I wouldn't expect $2,000 in fundraising every 6 months but perhaps something to help with costs. Or do I just need to pick up a second job? :laughing:

With the sports commitment, many of these organizations will not allow time missed for vacation(especially travel teams, not the community parks and rec leagues). The vacation fund is the first place to pull money. I would also limit the amount of sports, letting the kids pick the top 2 or 3. One can burn out quickly trying to juggle school and a bunch of sports.

I wouldn't even consider any type of charity fundraising, this is a want, not a need. If extra hours are available at work, take them. Taking a 2nd job may mean missing games, and that's not good either as a parent.

Sorry, I vote "poor taste". Asking that birthday/Christmas presents be practical is good (though I never got more than some chocolate for Easter - lucky kids), but asking others to fund your children is, in my opinion, tacky.

With the sports commitment, many of these organizations will not allow time missed for vacation(especially travel teams, not the community parks and rec leagues). The vacation fund is the first place to pull money. I would also limit the amount of sports, letting the kids pick the top 2 or 3. One can burn out quickly trying to juggle school and a bunch of sports.

I wouldn't even consider any type of charity fundraising, this is a want, not a need. If extra hours are available at work, take them. Taking a 2nd job may mean missing games, and that's not good either as a parent.

Thank you for the honesty! I would NEVER ask for money straight out. Just wasn't sure if there were some type of fundraising kids do as individuals that didn't consist of straight out asking for money. I agree that is distasteful.

We've discussed with them eliminating basketball and they are ok with that. That just so happens to be the least expensive sport as well. And we are eliminating inline since they'll be doing ice.

We don't vacation all that much that it would interfere with their commitments and in the past it hasn't been an issue.

As far as Easter goes, their grandparents usually spend about $20-$30 on each of them. We are completely fine with used equipment in which they can get some equipment at that price. But you're right, they are lucky! I got Peeps and an Easter outfit :laughing:

I had a coworker that said her son sold bottled beverages at a local fair in order to raise some money for his extracurricular activity or camp or something like that. He was older but she helped him apply for the permit and the fees I believe to be a vendor and he worked the fair, it was a local carnival type fair that was around for a few days over a long weekend I think, and I don't know how much he made but it was his idea to raise money that way. You could have your kids look into the same thing. I was going to let my DD (8) be a vendor at a community flea market type event where you pay $20 and have a table to sell things. She decided not to do it (lost interest) but something like that might be an option too.

Good luck. I am kind of worried about when my DS gets into sports or activities, he's only 2 right now so we have awhile, but I do limit DD to one at a time because of time mostly. But with more than one kid I know it gets busy.

I had a coworker that said her son sold bottled beverages at a local fair in order to raise some money for his extracurricular activity or camp or something like that. He was older but she helped him apply for the permit and the fees I believe to be a vendor and he worked the fair, it was a local carnival type fair that was around for a few days over a long weekend I think, and I don't know how much he made but it was his idea to raise money that way. You could have your kids look into the same thing. I was going to let my DD (8) be a vendor at a community flea market type event where you pay $20 and have a table to sell things. She decided not to do it (lost interest) but something like that might be an option too.

Good luck. I am kind of worried about when my DS gets into sports or activities, he's only 2 right now so we have awhile, but I do limit DD to one at a time because of time mostly. But with more than one kid I know it gets busy.

We don't quite have anything like that nearby but those are great ideas! Perhaps they can have a yard sale and sell old (and new that have never been opened!) toys or clothes. Or maybe a lemonade stand. I've seen some local kids do them and not even for any cause. Thanks!

I hate the idea of GoFundMe-type fundraisers, but something that requires them to work for the money is a lot more palatable, and can be a great learning experience for them.

It's too late this year, but next year they can do an "egg your yard" fundraiser. They can have a yard sale, do yard work or house work for relatives and neighbors. They can sell candy bars door-to-door. I suggest sitting down with them and having them help you come up with ideas. You can get together with other parents to do group fundraisers, as well.

My daughter's girl scout troop went to Europe last year and the girls paid for it themselves through fundraisers. That trip meant so much more to them than it would have if their parents would have paid for it

Irish dance is about $5000 a year (not including travel, national and international), club soccer is around $3000 a year. I had two in dance for 9 years (one just quit). My kids have done ice skating, TKD, all kinds of dance, swimming, piano, voice, gymnastics, theatre, hockey, travel baseball, travel soccer, travel basketball (plus cheap rec and HS sports). We vacation every 3 years or so, rarely eat out, and the kids don’t get a lot of extras. Extracurricular activities cost a lot. All of our friends and family are in the same boat, I refuse to even ask them to buy 50/50 tickets, just buy them myself.

I think "fundraising" in the form of work is a great option for kids.
They are young, so what about having them go through their toys and sell them, or have a family garage sale using the profits toward hockey.
Set up a lemonade stand all summer.
Do yard work for neighbors- picking weeds, sweeping driveways and walkways, etc.
Feeding pets while a neighbor is away.

Easter? Gifts? Sorry lost me there.
Yes your own vacation fun would need to go first. But as already pointed out most high level teams are not very accommodating to your vacation dates.
As far as fund raising? I'd suggest another job; Uber or Lyft are always hiring and the boys can walk dogs or mow lawns, they should have skin in the game. I'd also narrow down the activities they do, they can't do it all.

I think "fundraising" in the form of work is a great option for kids.
They are young, so what about having them go through their toys and sell them, or have a family garage sale using the profits toward hockey.
Set up a lemonade stand all summer.
Do yard work for neighbors- picking weeds, sweeping driveways and walkways, etc.
Feeding pets while a neighbor is away.

Great ideas! Any little bit helps. I would never expect them to pay for it outright but what little they can contribute to their own cause is a great learning experience and teaches them hard work!

Oh and speaking from experience (friends who have kids in hockey), hockey tournaments will be your vacations. You won't be able to go anywhere else, both from a financial standpoint and the team won't allow it.

Easter? Gifts? Sorry lost me there.
Yes your own vacation fun would need to go first. But as already pointed out most high level teams are not very accommodating to your vacation dates.
As far as fund raising? I'd suggest another job; Uber or Lyft are always hiring and the boys can walk dogs or mow lawns, they should have skin in the game. I'd also narrow down the activities they do, they can't do it all.

As mentioned before, our parents give the kids a basket typically worth $20-$30 for Easter. They've asked for practical gifts rather than candy and toys. Equipment was my practical suggestion. Not sure what the problem is there.

This is not for a high level team (yet, any way). It's for a recreational ice hockey team. As pointed out earlier, we don't vacation all that often to affect their activities.

I agree that they should have skin in the game which is why I was asking for ideas for a 7 and 9 year old.They've also agreed to eliminate basketball and inline hockey, as mentioned earlier. Thank you for your suggestions :)

You mentioned equipment as part of the cost. Have you looked into buying used? At their ages things will get outgrown quickly. Maybe ask other parents of older players if they have any outgrown equipment to get rid of. That might help with cost (or maybe you've already taken that into account).

Do you have any seasonal arts and crafts fairs? Maybe have the kids start a business - 1 or 2 simple crafts to sell (check out pinterest, tons of ideas there) or even the bottled drinks idea from an earlier thread. A couple of cute little kids telling people they are raising money to play a sport could generate a lot of sales. Don't ask for donations, though. Since you aren't a charity that would be a little tacky.

At 7 and 9 years old, I would not expect my kids to fundraise or get a job for their activities. If I could not afford it, I would help them choose an activity that is within our budget or skip the vacations to pay for the hockey.

A 7 year old's plan for college might change a few times between now and then, I would not stress too much about it just yet.

Just enjoy their first season and see how it goes!

You mentioned equipment as part of the cost. Have you looked into buying used? At their ages things will get outgrown quickly. Maybe ask other parents of older players if they have any outgrown equipment to get rid of. That might help with cost (or maybe you've already taken that into account).

Do you have any seasonal arts and crafts fairs? Maybe have the kids start a business - 1 or 2 simple crafts to sell (check out pinterest, tons of ideas there) or even the bottled drinks idea from an earlier thread. A couple of cute little kids telling people they are raising money to play a sport could generate a lot of sales. Don't ask for donations, though. Since you aren't a charity that would be a little tacky.

Yes, 100% ok with used equipment! It's typically the only way we buy. We're also part of a social media group for equipment exchange in our area. Sometimes it's hard to find their size when they need it so we may have to buy new, unfortunately.

And yes, some sort of little business (keyword: little) would be a great start! I would NEVER, NEVER ask for money as mentioned above. Thank you for your input!

At 7 and 9 years old, I would not expect my kids to fundraise or get a job for their activities. If I could not afford it, I would help them choose an activity that is within our budget or skip the vacations to pay for the hockey.

A 7 year old's plan for college might change a few times between now and then, I would not stress too much about it just yet.

Just enjoy their first season and see how it goes!

I have never asked them to pitch in for anything before. This is the first time where they've asked for something and it is currently beyond our means. We plan to budget for it in the future but I figured if they really want it now, they may have to help us with it.

And I completely agree that my 7 year old will change his mind! But he's played hockey at home before he could walk, crawling around with a hockey stick in hand :laughing: And has played inline for 2 years. He says he will play at Denver University one day - I just tell him he has to work hard at school and hockey and boy does he ever! Whatever keeps him on the right track...

We spend around $300 a month for our kids' one activity, which is a lot but we consider it to be an investment in their futures and money well spent. It's bizarre to me to be asked by other parents in my neighborhood to chip in for their kids' gymnastics, soccer and baseball though. It seems like for certain sports it's expected they will be camped out in front of the grocery store asking for $$ (or on our community site), but for sports like ours you never see it (I'm glad our team doesn't demand that we have fundraisers though!). We do give a little here and there to our team to help with scholarships though. There are people who couldn't afford to send their kids to anything at all if not for the scholarships our team gives. I don't mind that at all, but I'm not interested in helping defray the costs of someone who lives in a posh home or whatever.

As many of you know, youth sports are a big investment! My kids currently play baseball, basketball and inline hockey - sometimes all at the same time. More recently (and ultimately my youngest son's goal) they've begun a Learn to Play ice hockey program, complimentary courtesy of the Anaheim Ducks.

Well, they love it. They excel at it. And again, for my younger son it is his dream to play in college so although it may not be likely, I will support his dreams. However, ice hockey is INCREDIBLY expensive. For them to play a 5 month season it will cost nearly $2,000 (for both) once uniforms and additional equipment is purchased (that ice needs and inline doesn't use).

We've already discussed with them that this is a commitment and is costly so they must be dedicated. (They're 7 and 9 and understand completely) For Easter we've asked grandparents for practical gifts (new gloves, helmet, skates etc. - we're fine with used equipment as well). Their birthdays are well after the season begins (several months later) so can't ask for equipment until then.

We, as parents, would never want to deprive our kids of their passions but goodness, it is not cheap! I'm already thinking that the first place these funds will come from is our vacation funds. We'll have to stretch our trips out further. However, does anyone have ideas of fundraisers they can do to raise money for themselves? Is that in poor taste? I don't feel comfortable starting a Gofundme or similar but was wondering if anyone has done a different type of fundraising for their children? I wouldn't expect $2,000 in fundraising every 6 months but perhaps something to help with costs. Or do I just need to pick up a second job? :laughing:

I would make them understand that sports are expensive and they must choose one to participate in. Three sports at a time for such young ages is ridiculous! How do they possibly attend all practices and games for all three sports?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!