GAC Pass Info?

leopardspot

Mouseketeer
If I get a GAC pass for my daughter, how will it work regarding stroller access? Will I be able to keep her in her stroller on some rides? If not, how far can I take the stroller into a ride?
She is at high risk for catching diseases and I need to avoid having her in contact with alot of people in cramped up areas so that she can avoid infections. The doctors have said that she can go to Disney but we have to be very careful. Any help you can give me will be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't think strollers are allowed on any rides. I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed in lines either as all rides and pavilions have stroller and wheelchair parking outside of them. I think that since this a special instance that you will be able to take the stroller into some pavilions and/or shows, but probably no rides or lines for rides.

Someone else might be able to help you better than I can, though.

leopardspot, my understanding of how it works (when a stroller is used the way that a manual wheelchair is) is that you would stay in line with the stroller until you reach the ride and then will either be pulled out for alternate boarding with the wheelchairs, or will park the stroller with the wheelchairs and take your child on the ride. Some rides my wheelchair is able to be folded up and put onto the ride with me so I have it at the exit, and I assume that if your stroller can be folded up and will fit, this is what will happen.

Each ride is a bit different in how they handle wheelchairs and strollers that are treated as wheelchairs. In fact, sometimes how it is handled varies from minute to minute depending on the cast member who is working that day(smile). If you look down the disAbilities forum and look for posts with "GAC" "Strollers" Wheelchairs" in the subject line, there is quite a bit of information in those posts.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

A little explanation first:
GAC stands for Guest Assistance card. It is not meant to (and usually won't) shorten your wait in line, but will give a more appropriate place/condition to wait in. It is basically a way for someone with invisible disabilities to quickly tell CMs what sorts of accomidation they need. Someone who has needs that can be taken care of by having a wheelchair or ecv in line does not need a GAC. Someone with other or additional needs might benefit from a GAC.

You go to Guest Relations in any of the parks (the person with a disability needs to be with you) to request a GAC. Explain your needs/difficulties to the CM there. GACS are usually issued for the person with a disability and up to 5 additional members of their party. Usually it will be issued for the entire length of your trip. You don't need to get one in each park; the same GAC is good in all the WDW parks.

The general GAC has instructions on it, then the CM adds a stamp (or sometimes prints out on a computer) with additional instructions. One stamp allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair. That means it can be brought into all the buildings and used in lines just like a wheelchair. That means you would be able to take it into shows and she could stay in it for shows (although in many cases, she will be able to see better if she is not in the stroller since strollers are usually sort of low). For rides, you would be able to take it right up to the boarding area. There are some rides where wheelchair users can stay right in their wheelchairs. There is usually a longer wait for the wheelchair car. Stroller users (unless they have a special needs stroller that is designed to be tied down in schoolbuses or vans) don't have a way to secure their stroller into the wheelchair cars for rides like the AK Safari and would not be allowed to stay in the stroller. Some rides (like Pooh and Buzz Lightyear) have wheelchair cars where the wheelchair is not really tied down, but they are not designed for strollers - sit too low and the wheelchair user sits all by themself in front of the other passengers. So, she would not be able to stay in her stroller for any rides, but possibly may for some shows.
For some rides, you will be able to fold up your stroller and take it with you. For other rides, you'll just leave your stroller where you board the ride and pick it up when you get off.

Just as a caveat to what Sue posted, "I/he/she can't wait in lines." makes absolutely no sense to a CM as a response to the question "What kind of assistance do you need?" 90% of the people who request a GAC give that reply, and the CM has to pry for any useful information. As it turns out, most of the people who give that response have a temporary mobility difficulty, which is better solved with an actual wheelchair rather than a card that will allow them to enter attractions at (the very few) designated wheelchair entrances. If you have trouble walking or standing for any length of time, you will be much better off getting a wheelchair.
I know this has very little to do with the OP, but thought it would be good to add for the benefit of other readers.

To the OP, there is a GAC that will allow you to use your stroller as a wheelchair. It can be taken into queues, but you will have to transfer your child from the stroller to any ride vehicles. Guests with a stroller and no GAC must park their stroller outside of any attraction (fire code regulation).

ust as a caveat to what Sue posted, "I/he/she can't wait in lines." makes absolutely no sense to a CM as a response to the question "What kind of assistance do you need?" 90% of the people who request a GAC give that reply, and the CM has to pry for any useful information.
Good point. A lot of people have posted here that they want a GAC because they can't wait in line, meaning they are afraid they can't stand still in line, when what would be useful for them is a wheelchair or ecv so they don't have to stand in line.
When I say that DD can't wait in lines, it means something to me because I know that she has ADD, some obsessive/compulsive behaviors, "wilts" in the heat" and I've waited in line with her and been pinched when people came within what she considers too close to her comfort zone, prevented her from purposely driving her wheelchair into people when they cut her off, etc. Unless I can explain that to a CM in a way that they know that too, "can't wait in line" means nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter