gastric bypass surger

donna brick

Earning My Ears
I am scheduled for gastric bypass surgery in September. Our trip to Disney is in December. For anyone who has had the surgery and been to Disney. How did it go? Where did you eat? Did you have any problems. I really don't wan to cancel. What do you think?

My friend had this and was with us in October. She took a note from her doctor about the surgery and paid child's prices for buffet dinners.

You can always order a child's meal from the menus, but for any buffet dinner you are at you should have that letter from your doctor.

She did not have any problems with any of the places we ate.

Hope this helps. Disney is very accommodating.

Best wishes with your surgery.

Sue Ellen

DH and I went to Disney 6 months after DH's gastric bypass. He did just fine. For breakfast he would have half a bagel and a banana. The chicken caeser salads worked well for him. Don't know if the lettuce would work for you at only 3 months out though.It didn't matter where we ate, he always found something he could have. Some dinners we even split.
There was a thread on the budget board (I think)about individual crystal light packs that you could put in your water bottle.We took some with us so he would have something other than water to drink at the parks. There was also decaf hot tea at the food court at POP. He is not a coffee drinker.
If you have any more specific questions, just ask . I try to check in here everyday.

donna, realize that 6 months is a LOT different than 2. You will just have been put back on a 'regular' diet...you will NOT be able to eat sugar and possibly NOT able to tolerate fried or greasy foods...both could result in a lengthy and painful intestinal episode. No, immodium won't help.

You will also have to be careful not to overeat or you will be looking for a place to upchuck quickly. Also, what you can eat one day, youo may not be able to tolerate the next. I went to a faire and ate ONE bite of turkey and threw up in the sidewalk because I couldn't hold it down. Excitement, stress, nerves,---whatever you want to call it---may also make it difficult to eat. I wasn't able to eat ANYTHING all day at the faire, not even stuff that I packed in my bag. Even crackers came right back up.

I really would postpone the trip for a few months if possible. Also, remember, you will have just had MAJOR surgery and will still be recovering. Disney may be too much for you that soon.

Good luck with your surgery. Do you visit www.obesityhelp.com ?
Great message boards with tons of info and support. Let us know what you decide about DW.

My prayers will be with you during surgery...btw, I had surgery March 12, 2004 and have lost 68 pounds so far. No complications and I feel GREAT!

also, just to let you know...it's not only fried/greasy or sugar that makes us sick...it can be anything...from tuna to ham. I got sick at Cracker barrel after 6 bites and was indisposed for 30 minutes and that's a minor attack.

I'm just saying I wouldn't want any accidents to mess up your vacation.

possibly post your question on obesity help...there should be lots of post ops who can help you.

I went 4 months after surgery. I don't eat alot when it's hot anyway but just know your limits. Eating off the kids menu is NOT a good idea. The kid's menu at most restaurants were loaded with breaded/fried/greasy food. There was little nutrition to anything on the kiddie menu.

I would plan on having snacks you know you can tolerate in your room. Pack a squishy cooler in your luggage and fill with healthy snacks. good post ops items that are available in WDW
  • milk (juice has way too much sugar
  • peanut butter and bananas
  • cheese
  • there is a fruit stand in every park

If you are headed to a sit down restaurant read the menu and look for items that appeal to you. I ordered just the veggies in some places, plain chicken breasts.

There really is no need to carry a doctor's note into a regular restaurant and staying away from buffets just makes good sense for GBS patients. Too much temptation to overeat at buffet. I realize I will never be able to eat a huge meal and if someone in my party doesn't want to share with me I just order what I want and when I am done I call the waiter over to remove my plate. sure it is wasteful but I love my new size 10 jeans so I am willing to sacrifice wasted food! It's vacation. Don't worry about it!

ahead of time you can note on them a request for a plain chicken breast at most places, then just ask your server about it, it *should* work out. We traveled with a GB patient 3 months out last time and everywhere we went the chef came out to talk to her and then went back and prepared something she could eat. that may not be possible at buffets, but most other sit-down restaurants should not be a problem. They were very accomodating and made her feel so great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter