Gender Neutral Bathroom options - any updates?

Piglet99645

DIS Veteran
The last thread I can find on this is from 2019 and we know a lot has changed in Florida. We are regulars at Disneyland, occasional WDW visitors.

This is my first trip with my AMAB non-binary oldest child who is 22. My other child and I are both gender-conforming females.

My oldest also has autism but you wouldn't know that from casual observation... I mention it only because it plays a role in how they handle stressful situations.

So we will be two females and one non-binary who presents as male. When it's time for a bathroom break, what's our best bet?

They may opt for the men's room for shorter lines, in which case no problem. But if they want to go to the ladies with us, how likely are we to run into a problem?

What gender neutral options are there? If any, other than companion restrooms (which I know people can get annoyed if you use them without a disability or a pile of kids and diapers to change)

I'm asking my oldest to give it some thought, as well. Best to be prepared. Their general thought is that they don't use the restroom nearly as often as I do, and won't have to deal with it often (if at all, as we take mid-day breaks). But I know one bad experience can derail a whole day for a person with autism.

I'd assume they'd be most comfortable where they're used to going in other places that don't have gender-neutral rest rooms. What do they do in those cases?

I wouldn't care a whit what other people think if I needed to use a companion rest room.

I'd assume they'd be most comfortable where they're used to going in other places that don't have gender-neutral rest rooms. What do they do in those cases?

I wouldn't care a whit what other people think if I needed to use a companion rest room.
I don’t know. They have been away at college. Just wondering if there were other ideas I hadn’t thought of.

Just to clarify, they likely haven't used a public restroom as a non-binary person, as they just came out a few months ago, and have a private room at the dorm. Hence my question, as it's our first time out as a family.

FYI as of a year ago, it sounds like companion restrooms are what Disney is "offering" in this situation.

"Disney doesn’t have unisex or gender-neutral bathrooms. But they do have private, single-room toilets that you can use. They’re called companion restrooms and these spaces are intended for wheelchair users and their caregivers. Disney encourages any guests to use these restrooms if they feel more comfortable, but it’s kind of a passive way for Disney to say they have offerings for everyone without actually having offerings for everyone. Because, unfortunately, when queer guests use these rooms, it takes resources away from wheelchair users. It’s a band-aid solution, one that I hope Disney addresses soon."

https://www.vacationer.travel/best-restrooms-in-us-disney-parks-for-trans-and-nonbinary-guests/

FYI as of a year ago, it sounds like companion restrooms are what Disney is "offering" in this situation.

"Disney doesn’t have unisex or gender-neutral bathrooms. But they do have private, single-room toilets that you can use. They’re called companion restrooms and these spaces are intended for wheelchair users and their caregivers. Disney encourages any guests to use these restrooms if they feel more comfortable, but it’s kind of a passive way for Disney to say they have offerings for everyone without actually having offerings for everyone. Because, unfortunately, when queer guests use these rooms, it takes resources away from wheelchair users. It’s a band-aid solution, one that I hope Disney addresses soon."

https://www.vacationer.travel/best-restrooms-in-us-disney-parks-for-trans-and-nonbinary-guests/
The amount of people that you are describing, that are in a wheelchair and need someone to help them is not a large amount. It is not like every companion restroom has a line of people that need them snaking around the corner of the building. I have bathroom issues and so am in them a lot. A lot of times the companion restrooms are empty. Somebody going in for a minute to use them is not a big deal. Most people need to wait a bit to use the bathroom.

The amount of people that you are describing, that are in a wheelchair and need someone to help them is not a large amount. It is not like every companion restroom has a line of people that need them snaking around the corner of the building. I have bathroom issues and so am in them a lot. A lot of times the companion restrooms are empty. Somebody going in for a minute to use them is not a big deal. Most people need to wait a bit to use the bathroom.
Yeah that was a quote from the article. It will have to do for now. I’ll let my child decide where they are most comfortable. Thanks for all the reassurance everyone.

Yeah that was a quote from the article. It will have to do for now. I’ll let my child decide where they are most comfortable. Thanks for all the reassurance everyone.
I agree that it's a band aid solution. I'm off the opinion that stalls should all lack gaps, and be safe for everyone. It helps with the uneven wait times too.

Our intent is to use the companion restrooms when available (and they generally are available) and to go into the restroom as a pack when they aren't. My college student has had days when they're "wrong gender"-d out of both restrooms and confrontations are more likely when they're alone.

I was worried about this myself but tbh my experiences in the parks so far have been overwhelmingly positive. FWIW, we arrived yesterday, this is my first trip since I have been identifying as nonbinary and I have been using the companion restrooms since we got here, at both Epcot and HS. No one has said a single word to me or given me looks. None of them have lines or were occupied either.

Disney encourages any guests to use these restrooms if they feel more comfortable, but it’s kind of a passive way for Disney to say they have offerings for everyone without actually having offerings for everyone. Because, unfortunately, when queer guests use these rooms, it takes resources away from wheelchair users.

That's the writer's opinion, not the norm. This more accurately reflects Disney's policy where guest comfort is involved:
Disney encourages any guests to use these restrooms if they feel more comfortable...

Anyone may use a companion restroom for whatever reason, gender variations among them. It's no one else's business why someone uses such restrooms.

Are companion restrooms also referred to as “family restrooms”? If so I would just have them use those. I was there in March and used the bathroom about twice a day and never had any issues getting in them.

That's the writer's opinion, not the norm. This more accurately reflects Disney's policy where guest comfort is involved:

Anyone may use a companion restroom for whatever reason, gender variations among them. It's no one else's business why someone uses such restrooms.
That’s my opinion as well. I just see some snarkiness elsewhere about it so was trying not to stir the pot. 🫣

I know I'm late to this party, but if - for any reason at all - your family is not comfortable using the companion restrooms (you can find them easily on the map in the MDE app, or on the paper Parks maps) you can always go to First Aid in each Park to use the restrooms.

Just say that the person has "medical issues" and they would be more comfortable toileting here in First Aid.

First Aid is usually pretty quiet (which is so nice) and they are typically pretty chill folks.

You might want to stop by rest rooms before you have an urgent need to. This cuts down on the chance of not finding one available when you do need it.

If you accompany your autistic child (Edited later. Sorry.)into the rest room and you visually make like (behave and gesture as if) s/x/he* were quite handicapped then you should get fewer confrontations.

First Aid is often not a suitable location to rely on since it may be quite distant, particularly if you are at Epcot and are on your way in from or out to the Skyliner. (Is there a First Aid in World Showcase?)

* Here, pronoun to go with gender identified with at that moment, not necessarily as of the previous day or as of the person's date of birth.

Last edited:
You might want to stop by rest rooms before you have an urgent need to. This cuts down on the chance of not finding one available when you do need it.

If you accompany your autistic child into the rest room and visually make like (behave and gesture as if) s/x/he* were quite handicapped then you should get fewer confrontations.

First Aid is often not a suitable location to rely on since it may be quite distant, particularly if you are at Epcot and are on your way in from or out to the Skyliner. (Is there a First Aid in World Showcase?)

* Here, pronoun to go with gender identified with at that moment, not necessarily as of the previous day or as of the person's date of birth.
They are not “quite handicapped.” Nor are they an “autistic child.” They are an adult with autism mentioned only as an indication that stress can be significant. They do not need or want my assistance in the bathroom in any way.

We are home from our trip. To the best of my knowledge they never used a public restroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter