"GET AWAY, SCURVY!!" – A May 2017 Whirlwind Long Weekend TR

If I'd been looking for clothing they had some neat stuff, but there wasn't anything else that interested me.

Same, so disappointing.

I then persisted to spend the longest 90 minutes of my life driving in circles.

This would completely happen to me :rotfl:

Turns out that N loved the rides at DHS, but he was strongly opposed to park touring by himself.

Yeah Josh has never toured the parks without me. I think I could probably spend some time in the parks alone, but I don't think he'd know what to do. With his migraines, my backup plan is to do things by myself if I have to, but they've never actually interrupted a day of plans thankfully. Though I did watch the fireworks at MVMCP myself, and I did go to DS with Jenna. Whenever we separate I have a terrible time finding the room :rotfl:

The One Where I Make Crazy Decisions and
Get Smacked in the Head With a Stroller
Disney Day 2 - Part 5

For all of you still reading these wordy updates, you deserve a medal! I just realized that I'm headed back to WDW in a month (a month from today we arrive at the GF!! Plans are in my PTR in my signature!) and I should probably get this report finished up soon so I can move on to new Disney adventures! I'm going to do my best to finish out this day in one update...sorry in advance...and then get the return travel days done fairly quickly...so here we go!

I knew N would be starving since he hadn't had a wallet or anything to buy food while at DHS, so I brought him peanut butter sandwiches and snacks from the timeshare in my purse.

Our first order of business was riding JC with my DAS, and we had a really lame skipper. He just wasn't particularly funny or charismatic. But I didn't mind since we'd already had such an awesome skipper at lunch to make up for it.

We had a FP coming up for Pirates, so while waiting for it we went to eat at Columbia Harbour House where we got an order or allergy-friendly chicken fingers with an extra side of fries to split. They've recently changed the GF chicken fingers at Disney, but these ones, while different, are just as good. So I'm cool.

bFWH7q8.jpg

At some point in here, N got a Mickey ice cream sandwich (highly superior to the premium ice cream bar in my humble opinion!) and when we opened it a piece of the cookie ear was broken off! We laughed about Disney being broken, and then I told him just to flip it over and it wouldn't be broken anymore. He flipped it over, and the other cookie on the other side was ALSO BROKEN.

BkckyLu.jpg

We went back to ride Pirates, but it had been broken down (#DisneyIsBroken) so the FP line was backed up like crazy. I was disappointed, and already in a tired and lousy mood from my driving adventure that afternoon, and it was still really hot out, so instead of waiting we wandered over to Frontierland to get DAS for Big Thunder. While we were waiting for our return time, we went to get more maple popcorn so I could eat it on the plane the next day. (We ended up buying the popcorn bucket, which is absolutely coming back with us in August!)

Even the people mover had a line tonight! Crazy!

aCwubCt.png

At this point, I was fading fast. But we still had nearly two hours to get through until Happily Ever After. Being tired put me in a bad mood, and nothing seemed like it would be fun. I hated to do it since we had the DAS for BTMRR coming up and the fireworks were so close...but I thought that maybe we should just leave.

At this point you're probably saying that I'd be crazy for missing seeing the nearly brand-new Happily Ever After for the first time...

Don't worry, I get crazier.

I admitted to N that I didn't want the first time I saw the show to be when I was in a crappy mood and not feeling super excited about it because I didn't want it to be tainted. He understood and was feeling pretty tired, himself, and so we decided to take the train back to Main Street and head back.

In the surprisingly long line for the train there was a little boy who kept throwing himself against me, and his parents were doing nothing. At one point N's hand accidentally smacked into him when he jumped at us, but I don't think N was all too upset about that.

When we got on the train, N's hands miraculously became suddenly incredibly slippery (it happens!) and he almost dropped his phone. In an effort to save the phone, his brain's energy was directed completely to his phone-holding-hand, rendering all other limbs useless, and his other hand released what it was holding: his water bottle. (Back up for a second here: we had each gotten brand new filtering Brita water bottles specifically for this trip.) And now his had fallen down under the train.

As the trained pulled out of the station (RIP Britta bottle!) I pulled up MDE on my phone...and then something weird happened...I saw an almost-immediately-available FP for Soarin' for 8:10pm. I had loved Soarin' when we rode it the night before. And miraculously, the idea of rushing all the way back to Epcot tonight before the park closed at 9:00 to ride Soarin' once more was the first thing all evening that I felt myself getting excited about.

I told N there was a FP for Soarin', and he was like..."Ok." Lol.

He actually had the same and-your-point-is? look on his face as this giraffe, really:
9PrwvDw.gif

He didn't understand why that would matter at all to me at that point. Fair enough. Eventually I convinced him.

So yes, we skipped HEA, and left the park that was open until 11pm, to ride Soarin' at a park that was about to close.

So sue me.

(In the end, I'm actually 100% happy with this decision because it means that our very first time seeing HEA will be on our honeymoon, possibly even surrounded by my family, where we will have just eaten a wedding cake complete with a cake topper that says "Happily Ever After" and when we're about to begin our own "happily ever after" together. Now it seems right. At the time it was nuts.)

We monorailed to the TTC, left the car at the TTC because we probably wouldn't have made it before 9 otherwise, monorailed to Epcot, and arrived with time to spare...but then...

Remember Disney being broken?

EmTbB4e.gif

We were all ready to get off the monorail when it started moving again, just by a few feet. Then it stopped. Then moved back again. I'm not sure if it was a new driver, or if something was wrong with the monorail so that it wasn't lining up properly or catching with where the doors need to be to open, etc., but we continued to move back and forth by mere feet, back and forth...back and forth...continuously...for the entirety of four minutes. I timed it. (And sometimes four minutes can feel like an eternity. This was one of those times.) #DisneyIsBroken

vUeDot2.gif

When we finally got off the monorail, some people cheered, but some people in front of us were downright rude and jeered and swore at the driver and monorail CMs.

1z9py3K.gif

We went through security, and I was worried about them searching our popcorn bucket, which was full of my treasured maple popcorn. The security guard asked us to open it, and he was like, "Woah, there's popcorn in it! That never happens! They're always just empty! ...OMG it's the maple popcorn from the Magic Kingdom! Can I have some?" Ahaha

We slipped in to our FP with about 5 minutes to spare, and we were given the middle section. I asked the CM if we could wait for row 1, and she sent us over to the next CM in the right-hand section who had row 1 availability. I tried to explain that I'd rather just stay in the middle section instead regardless of which row we had to sit in, but N was bound and determined to go to the side section for row one, not understanding why it would be worse than the middle in terms of the whole drunk-Eiffel-tower issue.

Now I'm not proud of myself for this, but I started to have a very slight meltdown at this point. I was so tired, (I'd been travelling, and not sleeping, and getting heat-exhausted, and walking too much for four days now,) and I had dragged us away from HEA and MK for this one last ride, and I wanted it to be right. It was stupid, but tell that to sleepy Meghan and see if she's as reasonable as I am. (Spoiler alert: she's not. She never is.) Anyway, I finally got N to understand the superiority of the middle section, pathetically asked the CM if we could go back, she looked at me like she despised me to the very core of my being, but they let us not only go back but also wait for row 1 center.

And it was miraculous and exactly what we needed to end on a good note.

1cI35E4.jpg

The park was officially closed, but of course the shops were still open. I had shopping left to do for my little cousin's wedding welcome bag since Character Warehouse didn't work out for me, so I went to Mouse Gear while I had N go to Guest Relations and pilfer the last of our required "I'm Celebrating" buttons. Both ventures were successful, and the cousin will now be receiving one of those adorable kid's mouse ear hats and some other swag, but while N was waiting for me outside GR some kid ran into him at full speed, knocking the lid off the popcorn bucket and spilling half its contents. I don't know this kid, but to this day I hate him. And also his parents for doing nothing. I love maple popcorn.

Like, I love it.

HdG7yA6.gif

We went back to the TTC where we got on a tram in front of a man who persisted to smash a folded stroller into the back of my head. Hard. And not apologize. Not even say a word about it. (Even without knowing I have a brain condition, that's totally not cool.) I turned to look at him and he ignored me. I knew if I said anything to him about it at this point in the night that I wouldn't be able to do it politely and with the intent of educating him...I'd lose my ever-loving mind on him. So I just sat there. But sometimes I'm seriously astounded by the way people behave on vacation. Or anywhere, for that matter.

We drove back, sorted things a bit for morning, and fell asleep. It was a full day of ups and downs, but I wouldn't consider trading it.

Up next: a little Disney magic left—including one of my favourite things about the trip—and then it's time to go home.

Last edited:
I'm so glad Nathan enjoyed his time at DHS! His faces on RnR are so cute and full of joy!

Sorry the character warehouse wasn't successful but at least you got ouf of the heat and were able to recharge a little!

Ugh, what a pain getting to your destination! Sorry you couldn't get to the Contemporary or Poly.

Can't wait to hear about your night!

His RnRC pictures are seriously a gift from the photopass gods. I love them! I can just see how thrilled he was. The first one was like "Woah...what is this? This is awesome! I can't feel my face! I think I like it!" and the second one he knows what's coming and is just super excited about it! :) When I'm on a ride that's really fast or thrilling, I always scream, but Nathan always laughs, like a reflex. :)

Looks like N really enjoyed the thrill rides @ DHS. Sorry you had so much trouble with driving and parking. It really was hot that weekend especially in DHS. There is not enough shade there.

I should have known better than to try to park at a monorail resort (even for a legitimate reason) on a Saturday. But eventually we finally got things sorted and I finally parked that darn car! It was so hot, and I agree completely about the shade.

Aww, Nathan is just too cute! Love that he gave solo touring a try!! I'm sure my husband would be the same way--texting me to make the plan!

Also, loving that lady in front of him!! :)

He really is pretty adorable. I'm fairly fond of him. :) And the lady in front of him is HILARIOUS!

Awwww... I think I could do a solo trip, but I don't think my fiance could, for the same reason. But I also don't think he'd let me do a solo trip because he would be too jealous :rotfl:

I agree on the jealousy part!! I told Nathan that even if he decided he wanted to do a solo trip that I'd have a hard time with it...and he wouldn't be allowed to ride any of my favourites without me. :P

Yeah Josh has never toured the parks without me. I think I could probably spend some time in the parks alone, but I don't think he'd know what to do. With his migraines, my backup plan is to do things by myself if I have to, but they've never actually interrupted a day of plans thankfully. Though I did watch the fireworks at MVMCP myself, and I did go to DS with Jenna. Whenever we separate I have a terrible time finding the room :rotfl:

Good to know you have Josh to be your navigator most of the time!! haha! I think I'd enjoy a bit of park touring by myself sometime. It would just feel like a totally difference experience. But I know I'd also miss that feeling of sharing all your fun experiences with somebody and knowing there's someone else who has all the same awesome memories you have from a trip.

We went back to the TTC where we got on a tram in front of a man who persisted to smash a folded stroller into the back of my head. Hard. And not apologize. Not even say a word about it. (Even without knowing I have a brain condition, that's totally not cool.) I turned to look at him and he ignored me. I knew if I said anything to him about it at this point in the night that I wouldn't be able to do it politely and with the intent of educating him...I'd lose my ever-loving mind on him. So I just sat there. But sometimes I'm seriously astounded by the way people behave on vacation. Or anywhere, for that matter.

Ugh so rude!

You're so close to your trip! And so close to seeing Happily Ever After!

Omg Meghan, I cannot believe how long it's been since I commented! Forgive me :flower3:
I know I said it before but I'll say it again: Steve and I loved meeting you and Nathan. I only wish we were going to see you next month for your wedding! And your selfie pic of us is the best :goodvibes Also love the picture of us taking the Space pic lol, didn't know you did that!
I almost got the F&G Dooney! It's so pretty, glad Nathan talked you into getting it. Also happy to hear Soarin' worked for you, I felt a little nauseous going up but then it was smooth sailing (or flying) and the new movie is much better than the old.
Every time I think about our trip next month I can't help but think how close your wedding is!! I promise to keep up better here and on your PTR :hug:

So while I might be the kind of person who'd benefit from a solo trip, I don't think there'll be one in N's future any time soon.
I'm not sure if a solo trip would feel right for me. The only brief experience I have is sneaking away from the girls to ride Star Tours a couple extra times (I felt fortunate to have gotten them to ride it once, I wasn't pushing my luck). I think they went off to the American Idol experience, which I had not interest in. Anyway, being on my own for a couple hours felt strange, but part of me liked it. I've been curious about doing a solo trip, just not sure it will ever happen.

But sometimes I'm seriously astounded by the way people behave on vacation. Or anywhere, for that matter.
It just goes to show that even in Disney, you can't fix stupid.

I'm sorry the rest of your day was full of so many ups and downs! No one wants to be cranky at MK but when you're hot and tired, it's bound to happen! I'm sure it sucked missing HEA when you were SO close but like you said, maybe it's a blessing since now when you get to see it for the first time it will be under very special circumstances!

I'm glad you were able to make it to Epcot for one final ride on Soarin!

You definitely encountered some rude guests on this evening :( I can't believe the guy didn't even apologize for hitting you!

I just realized that I'm headed back to WDW in a month

Woohoo!! It's so close!!!

Being tired put me in a bad mood, and nothing seemed like it would be fun.

I have these moods, I totally understand. My super powers are spiteful rage and unreasonable annoyance.

And miraculously, the idea of rushing all the way back to Epcot tonight before the park closed at 9:00 to ride Soarin' once more was the first thing all evening that I felt myself getting excited about.

Sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy!! Soarin' was your happy place that night, and nothing else matters!

where we will have just eaten a wedding cake complete with a cake topper that says "Happily Ever After" and when we're about to begin our own "happily ever after" together.

Cake! Cake makes everything better automatically...but being the end to your wedding day will be all the more special :hug:

I'm sorry about the popcorn spiller, the stroller smacker, and the monorail moron...may they all stub their toes today.

Ugh so rude!

You're so close to your trip! And so close to seeing Happily Ever After!

I can't wait to see HEA in, like, just over three weeks! And to do it up right!

Omg Meghan, I cannot believe how long it's been since I commented! Forgive me :flower3:
I know I said it before but I'll say it again: Steve and I loved meeting you and Nathan. I only wish we were going to see you next month for your wedding! And your selfie pic of us is the best :goodvibes Also love the picture of us taking the Space pic lol, didn't know you did that!
I almost got the F&G Dooney! It's so pretty, glad Nathan talked you into getting it. Also happy to hear Soarin' worked for you, I felt a little nauseous going up but then it was smooth sailing (or flying) and the new movie is much better than the old.
Every time I think about our trip next month I can't help but think how close your wedding is!! I promise to keep up better here and on your PTR :hug:

I've also been SO behind on my Dis-ing (as evidenced by how long it even took me to reply to this comment!) so no concerns there! Forgiveness is not needed, but still granted freely. I know we only met once, and fairly briefly, but I cherish these pictures remembering how nice it was to meet you both! Hopefully our trips will cross again sometime in future. :) And yes, I was pleasantly surprised with how well Soarin' worked for us (me especially) and I plan to take Nathan's family on it in just a few weeks! (Three weeks from today, to be precise!)

I'm not sure if a solo trip would feel right for me. The only brief experience I have is sneaking away from the girls to ride Star Tours a couple extra times (I felt fortunate to have gotten them to ride it once, I wasn't pushing my luck). I think they went off to the American Idol experience, which I had not interest in. Anyway, being on my own for a couple hours felt strange, but part of me liked it. I've been curious about doing a solo trip, just not sure it will ever happen.

I think I'd be in the same boat — feels strange, but also nice in a way. But I know I'd also miss having someone to share Disney memories with. It would be a toss up.

It just goes to show that even in Disney, you can't fix stupid.

Amen to that. Stupid never truly leaves us, no matter how far we travel.

I'm sorry the rest of your day was full of so many ups and downs! No one wants to be cranky at MK but when you're hot and tired, it's bound to happen! I'm sure it sucked missing HEA when you were SO close but like you said, maybe it's a blessing since now when you get to see it for the first time it will be under very special circumstances!

I'm glad you were able to make it to Epcot for one final ride on Soarin!

You definitely encountered some rude guests on this evening :( I can't believe the guy didn't even apologize for hitting you!

I definitely get a little droopy and cranky when I'm hot and running on less-than-ideal amounts of sleep, so it wasn't a surprise. But you're right, I'm absolutely looking forward to doing HEA right on our wedding trip! The downs of the day were a little frustrating, but the ups more than made up for it!

I have these moods, I totally understand. My super powers are spiteful rage and unreasonable annoyance.

It's a blessing and a curse! ...mostly a curse. But when someone is as beautiful and intelligent as you and I are, we need to have a flaw somewhere. Mine happens to be excessive crankiness when proper hot/tired/hungry thresholds are met. It happens to the best of us.

Sometimes you just have to do what makes you happy!! Soarin' was your happy place that night, and nothing else matters!

I like this! I'm gonna go with that! :)

Cake! Cake makes everything better automatically...but being the end to your wedding day will be all the more special :hug:

I'm sorry about the popcorn spiller, the stroller smacker, and the monorail moron...may they all stub their toes today.

YAY CAKE! The popcorn spiller, the stroller smacker, and the monorail moron...sounds like the set up to a bad joke. A popcorn spiller, a stroller smacker, and a monorail moron walk into a bar... And yes!! I wish upon them all that they step on a lego today!

Hello, friends!! I've been an absent TR host, and I'm sincerely apologetic! If you're following my wedding trip PTR, you've heard little snippets of the stuff going on in my life as of late, and I've let myself get overwhelmed by things and my Dis-ing has suffered. Trying to keep up with everything has had me feeling more than a little like this guy:

3z58yGo.gif

(Speaking of "this guy"...it looks like our landlord has caved, and we are officially allowed to get a cat this fall! Keep an eye out on the TR I'm sure I'll be writing about the wedding trip to see pictures when we find our perfect cat-soulmate, as I'm sure they will make an appearance.)

I'm finally caught up now on my Dis stuff, and I'm working away at the last-minute wedding and school stuff, etc. Also, tonight I went to my job singing at the 50s diner, and all of the toilets in the restaurant were broken and flooding, and was was pouring out the bathrooms down the halls, and then it started coming up from the drains in the restaurant floor, etc., and people had sewage water under their tables, and we were all expected to keep singing...and let's just say it's been a crazy night. So I'm so happy to finally be home and to be giving you this update! (And to be running my shoes and socks through the wash machine at least twice...!) Let's get this sucker done before I leave for the next trip in just over two weeks...

"Please, Take that Golf Cart's Advice!"
AKA: "I'm a Wish Killer."
Return Travel Day 1 - Part 1

The sleepiness levels had officially hit new heights this day by the time the alarm went off at 6am, but at this point it didn't matter—we were going home.

We finished our packing up, and I decided to bite the bullet and add an extra carry-on bag for our flight home to help accommodate our purchases and keep my new Dooney from getting squished. It ended up being only $18, rather than the $30-50 I'd expected, so I didn't cry about it.

In using the app to add our carry-on, I also could see that our flight was already delayed over a half hour, so I used that as an excuse to go into MDE and push our breakfast ADR a little later.

It was a little before 8am, we were all packed, had both done a full sweep of every room in the suite, and were standing by the door ready to go...when all of a sudden I stopped, completely stunned.

N says that he saw my face go white and blank and he thought I was about to faint or have some kind of medical emergency.

I turned to him in a trance and said: "Wait. Where are our passports?"

KDHTbuX.gif

Wow! It turned out that we had forgotten to empty the safe in the room! And we were about to leave without our passports, along with my Canadian wallet and car keys! Holy Moses! That could have been SO bad.

Reeling from the shock, we left with passports in hand and drove out to the Registration building to check-out. As we drove there we got stuck behind a car, which was stuck behind a golf cart, which was stuck behind the world's slowest giant lawn mower. When it was safe to do so, the golf cart guy pulled out and passed the lawn mower. The car just stayed behind him. Forever. Driving at a comfortable walking speed. Exasperated, I hollered: "Please, take that golf cart's advice!!" We were so tired, so naturally this was very funny to N.
Golf carts can't talk.
They can't give advice.
I guess this one could?
Oh, praise to the wise golf cart!

Also there were those weird sand-crane-bird things that are basically domesticated in Orlando now.

RDrsptF.jpg

We checked out and were on our way to our last dose of Disney: Boma breakfast! If you read my PTR you'll know that originally we were planning to only book one ADR to keep our budget very low, but then I realized that I'd spend the entire trip having never consumed a single Mickey waffle, and that just would not be okay. I was prepared to get one at a quick service place, but we both love Boma more than most places on Earth, so N suggested we just book it. I'm SO glad we did! It ended up being one of the highlights of the trip!

fTIK3zf.jpg

flPLH7H.jpg

We arrived for our now-later ADR time, got seated, and I was excited to have the same server we had back in December, Theresa! She's awesome. I'll definitely be trying to request her section in August. She's the kind of server who just offers to leave you the carafe of Jungle Juice because she knows you obviously will want it.

iQOKgUf.jpg

She was going to go get a chef for my allergies, and I convinced N to go get his own food while I waited. I'm SOO glad he did, because I waited, and waited, and waited, and the chef never came. Theresa kept checking back on us, and she was getting more and more frustrated that I wasn't seen by a chef. She got much angrier about it than we would have—all we had left to do was hop on a plane, so we didn't mind waiting longer than planned in the Disney bubble.

While all of this waiting was happening and N was at the buffet, I noticed someone walk into the restaurant and sit at a table near us...and I recognized him. "Oh my gosh!" I said to myself. "That's Joe Rohde! I'm sure that's Joe Rohde..."

When N got back, I pointed him out, and N was like "...ok." :O

Many of you may already know this, but Joe Rohde is kind of a Disney legend. He's the head imagineer responsible for Pandora, not to mention that he was highly involved in most of the creation of AK and the Lodge (which just so happens to be incredibly special to us as it's where we got engaged.) I couldn't stop blubbering to N about him. He was there with a family (his family or friends, I'd assumed,) and I couldn't stop telling N how I didn't want to interrupt his meal but I wished I had the guts to go over and meet him. N kept telling me to just go do it.

N had a better vantage point, so I, being the crazy stalker that I am, made him take this creepy stalker picture:

OiVIZnY.jpg

I messaged @ariane37 about it, (and sent her the stalker picture! lol) and she thought that it was really cool, and she said that he's probably used to people going up to meet him in public all the time...so eventually, I did just that. I apologized for interrupting their meal, but shook his hand, mumbled some kind of gibberish about how excited I was to see Pandora, and then left them alone. He was gracious, and awesome, and nobody threw their food at me.

It turns out, as I found out later during the meal from Theresa, he was there with a Wish kid and his family, which made me feel SO incredibly guilty! Not only did I interrupt them, I barged in on a kid's wish! For just a moment, I ruined his wish! I'm a wish killer! I was devastated, but also thrilled to have met a brilliant genius of a man who's unknowingly played a big role in my life and in my upcoming marriage to N.

So remember what I'd said about not wanting to book extra ADRs to keep the budget small? Well by this point in the meal I STILL hadn't seen a chef. It ended up taking 29 minutes for the chef to visit my table, and another 16 (45 total) for him to bring me out the allergy-friendly offerings I'd requested that aren't on the buffet (like those Mickey waffles I'd come there for.) Theresa timed it for us. Because of this, she got not only my meal, but also N's meal completely comp'd. As in, our 2 breakfasts = COMPLETELY FREE. We hadn't even minded the waiting all that much. She got a great tip, and we still didn't really spend any more than we would have on quick service. Woohoo!

I took obligatory food photos to show myself on sad days when I'm eating sad meals at home (and to remind myself I'll be back here in breakfast heaven soon enough!)

NmhPT7O.jpg

hO9TEtQ.jpg

Boma was the perfect way to finish our Disney experience, and now it was time to head back to reality...

and people had sewage water under their tables, and we were all expected to keep singing...and let's just say it's been a crazy night.

Gross! I don't think restaurants are supposed to have sewage leaking anywhere...

Wow! It turned out that we had forgotten to empty the safe in the room! And we were about to leave without our passports, along with my Canadian wallet and car keys!

I'm always afraid we'll forget what's in the safe, but Josh has us check the room like 80x before we leave :rotfl:

She's the kind of server who just offers to leave you the carafe of Jungle Juice because she knows you obviously will want it.

We had to get a carafe too :laughing:

"Oh my gosh!" I said to myself. "That's Joe Rohde! I'm sure that's Joe Rohde..."

:hyper:

For just a moment, I ruined his wish! I'm a wish killer!

Haha, I doubt it bothered any of the people at the table. @ariane37's right people probably approach him a lot.

It ended up taking 29 minutes for the chef to visit my table, and another 16 (45 total) for him to bring me out the allergy-friendly offerings I'd requested that aren't on the buffet (like those Mickey waffles I'd come there for.)

That's crazy! That's never happened to us at Disney, there was a buffet at Universal that did that though, and they were not so nice and helpful after it happened.

As in, our 2 breakfasts = COMPLETELY FREE. We hadn't even minded the waiting all that much.

So awesome!

Gross! I don't think restaurants are supposed to have sewage leaking anywhere...

No, I think not! Haha. It was disgusting, and totally not sanitary for a place that's serving food! They absolutely should have closed. I was appalled.

I'm always afraid we'll forget what's in the safe, but Josh has us check the room like 80x before we leave :rotfl:

Oh my gosh, never again will I almost make this mistake! I went into complete shock for a second. I'm usually good about checking the room (ever since a terrible traumatic incident when I was about 8 where we left my favourite stuffed duck in a hotel room and never got him back and I cried about it for years! haha) but this one threw me...

We had to get a carafe too :laughing:

YES. I am to jungle juice as Amy Schumer is to wine:
xfBvhHE.gif

Haha, I doubt it bothered any of the people at the table. @ariane37's right people probably approach him a lot.

The woman who appeared to be the mother kind of had a do-you-really-have-to-be-here-right-now uncomfortable look on her face, but otherwise it was totally fine, and I was very brief. I wish I'd told him something about how we got engaged at the lodge, etc., so it didn't sound like I only knew who he was because I was a Pandora fan girl, but what can I say? I was awe-struck, and it's a wonder anything more than a squawk came out of my mouth.

That's crazy! That's never happened to us at Disney, there was a buffet at Universal that did that though, and they were not so nice and helpful after it happened.

That's lame! I understand things getting backed up at a restaurant from the very brief time I worked as a server (and was terrible at it!) so I'm usually pretty understanding, but that's a little much. They were fabulous about it at Boma and turned around what could have been a bad experience with their good service. But it could have easily gone the other way.

I know a lot of the Disney buffets have also implemented a buffet map for special diets too, so they don't have to have this problem of not having a chef available and making people wait, but I'll always still be asking for those special offerings....GF mickey waffles for days!!

Oh my gosh thank goodness you remembered about your passports and everything else in the safe!

So cool that you got to see/meet Joe Rohde! I don't think you were a wish killer!!

Wow, that's crazy that it took so long for the chef to come visit you. So awesome of the server to get your meals comped, it ended up definitely being worth making that ADR!!

Speaking of "this guy"...it looks like our landlord has caved, and we are officially allowed to get a cat this fall!
Good news! We just got our 2nd cat.

and all of the toilets in the restaurant were broken and flooding, and was was pouring out the bathrooms down the halls, and then it started coming up from the drains in the restaurant floor, etc., and people had sewage water under their tables, and we were all expected to keep singing...and let's just say it's been a crazy night. S

This is just too gross! The health inspector should have shut them down.

I turned to him in a trance and said: "Wait. Where are our passports?"

OMG!!! So glad you remembered at the last minute.

Oh my gosh!" I said to myself. "That's Joe Rohde! I'm sure that's Joe Rohde..."

What a great sighting. This was right before Pandora opened so I bet her was there getting ready.

Because of this, she got not only my meal, but also N's meal completely comp'd. As in, our 2 breakfasts = COMPLETELY FREE.

Bummer you had to wait so long but it really paid off in the end.

Awesome you can get a kitty! Despite my off-color post in my dining report I love cats and have always had at least one, usually more than one. It's just not a house without a kitty :cat:
Also, tonight I went to my job singing at the 50s diner, and all of the toilets in the restaurant were broken and flooding, and was was pouring out the bathrooms down the halls, and then it started coming up from the drains in the restaurant floor, etc., and people had sewage water under their tables, and we were all expected to keep singing..
Um, gross :faint: I hope they fixed this for you by the next night! Did you guys sing "Singin' in the Drain"?

"Oh my gosh!" I said to myself. "That's Joe Rohde! I'm sure that's Joe Rohde..."

When N got back, I pointed him out, and N was like "...ok." :O
:laughing: When I told Steve and showed him the picture he was like N ".......ok" So I had to tell him Joe is the big earring guy from the documentary type shows we've seen on TV!

Because of this, she got not only my meal, but also N's meal completely comp'd. As in, our 2 breakfasts = COMPLETELY FREE.
Great for Teresa! Disney was broken but fixed itself :thumbsup2

I understand why you felt guilty going over to Joe but as I said, I'm sure people go over to him ALL the time :) And even though he was with someone on a WISH trip, he was probably spending the day with them or had spent the previous day with them and I'm sure you were far from the only one to approach him! Besides, it's not like you sat down, grabbed a Mickey waffle off their table and asked him "What's goin on, Joe?" and stayed awhile lol. Plus with Pandora opening the following weekend and previews going on he was probably even getting more guests approaching him than normal. I'm so glad you got to meet someone you admire so much!

Oh my gosh thank goodness you remembered about your passports and everything else in the safe!

So cool that you got to see/meet Joe Rohde! I don't think you were a wish killer!!

Wow, that's crazy that it took so long for the chef to come visit you. So awesome of the server to get your meals comped, it ended up definitely being worth making that ADR!!

Right?? I felt sick the moment I realized I didn't know where our passports were!

Yes, Boma was fabulous for both those reasons, despite our long wait!

This is just too gross! The health inspector should have shut them down.

I absolutely agree. No way they should have been open and serving customers. Fortunately, it was all resolved by the next night.

What a great sighting. This was right before Pandora opened so I bet her was there getting ready.

It was SO neat! Now when I see Pandora for the first time in a few weeks it'll be even more exciting!

Um, gross :faint: I hope they fixed this for you by the next night! Did you guys sing "Singin' in the Drain"?

:rotfl2:

Yes, it was fixed by the time we got back the next night. Gross!!

:laughing: When I told Steve and showed him the picture he was like N ".......ok" So I had to tell him Joe is the big earring guy from the documentary type shows we've seen on TV!

Haha I guess not everyone is as Disney-crazed. But that earring is hard to forget.

Great for Teresa! Disney was broken but fixed itself :thumbsup2

I understand why you felt guilty going over to Joe but as I said, I'm sure people go over to him ALL the time :) And even though he was with someone on a WISH trip, he was probably spending the day with them or had spent the previous day with them and I'm sure you were far from the only one to approach him! Besides, it's not like you sat down, grabbed a Mickey waffle off their table and asked him "What's goin on, Joe?" and stayed awhile lol. Plus with Pandora opening the following weekend and previews going on he was probably even getting more guests approaching him than normal. I'm so glad you got to meet someone you admire so much!

I expect you're right. Totally worth it! I should have probably helped myself to their mickey waffles though—I hadn't thought of that! :P

Ok, let's try to get this sucker finished!! I'll try my very best to blab slightly less from this point since once the Disney magic is gone the TR is basically useless to you all. But I'm the kind of person who likes to hear myself talk. And I can't not finish something. Sorry. We're almost there!

"I Got a Fist Bump!"
Return Travel Day 1 - Part 2

After Boma, we checked out the Zawadi Marketplace (best resort gift shop ever) and the pool.

MdTknJ7.jpg

Then we sadly made our way to the airport. Somehow when we drove from Sanford three days earlier we'd managed to do it without hitting one toll both, and driving back to Sanford this morning we spent almost $10 in tolls. Okay. Weird. Glad we'd bought a roll of quarters ahead of time!

We arrived at the airport, and we bought treats (including more of the same kind of peanut butter cups that we got in Maine! We need them in Canada!), N got Starbucks (which is his airport day tradition), and then we persisted to wait for three hours at the airport. #Facepalm. I totally could have planned for more stuff this morning or had a later morning wake-up time...but I'm sure if I had then there would have been multiple natural disasters preventing us from making our flight on time. My family and I get so paranoid about these things.

I called my mom and told her all about Joe Rohde, and she pretended to get why that was so cool. Then I bought my little cousin a shark tooth necklace because I hadn't been able to find him any other cool souvenir I thought he'd like up to that point.

At the same little souvenir place that had the necklace, I also saw this. It struck me funny. Florida souvenirs are drugs. Yep. That's how roll on a Disney vacation!

qW053QC.jpg

We went through security, and nobody thought N was a menace to society. But they were rushing people through like crazy! I think they were training somebody new, because they weren't turning the conveyor belt off at the proper times and so all everyone's stuff got all piled up at the end and started falling off the belt onto the floor, and one TSA person was yelling at the other to "Turn off the belt!!" As if security isn't stressful enough as it is! We gathered all our things and went to find our gate. Only after arriving there did I notice that sometime during the conveyor belt fiasco...my water bottle must have fallen out of my Finding Dory bookbag and gotten lost. Now we had both managed to lose the lovely filtering Britta bottles we'd bough specifically for this trip. *sigh*

N got a burger inside security for lunch because there weren't many options for hot food. With my dietary restrictions I managed to find some pre-packaged boiled eggs, a stick of cheese, some fruit, a Halloween-sized bag of plain chips, and a bottle of ginger ale. Actually a decent haul, considering! N looked at my strange assortment of food and laughed...this would come back again later the next day. *foreshadowing!*

ScBRj6P.jpg

Something about the traveling, fatigue, big Boma breakfast, and my health issues had me feeling really unwell this day, so I wasn't looking forward to the flight.

They had us board, and procedure was really strange. They got everyone to stand up and line up by their boarding zone, and then we all just stood in those lines for ages and ages before boarding. Not effective in my opinion.

As the flight attendants were checking the aisles on the plane, I accidentally nudged one of them with my elbow, and then apologized to him. He started joking with me, asking if I wanted to fight, and I said, "I didn't think you folks did that. That's a different airline." With the recent United controversy it totally caught him off-guard and he laughed, and gave me a fist bump out of respect. He left and I excitedly told N, "I got a fist bump!" I'd been waiting for one since seeing that PP photographer with that kid at MK, so it made me smile.

The short version of this next story is that being prone to motion sickness, along with my previous state of malaise and the boiling temperature of the plane (they couldn't get the air working until over an hour into the flight) caused me to get incredibly ill for the first couple hours of the flight home. I made N get the flight attendant to bring me a bag of ice for my face, neck, etc., which helped some. Otherwise the flight was uneventful, had a good smooth landing, and we got in to Maine close to on-time.

We got dinner at the Sea Dog Brewing Company in Bangor because I'd heard they had gluten free options. It was a nice night, and chill in the air was almost welcome after such a crazy heat wave in Florida, so we ate on the patio.

ukqSTMe.jpg

Interestingly enough, they're a small private brewery and pub, and they've recently also opened a location in Orlando, so I recently read a TR by CP folks who lived in Orlando and loved to go to the one in Florida but didn't know there was one in Maine. I had a burger:

7vronGx.jpg

We drove home as far as my family's home in NB, and N did most of the driving since I was knocked out from some of the drugs I'd taken for motion sickness. The next day would be the last day of traveling, and our last whirlwind day before going back to the grind.

"It's Not You. It's Not Even Really Me. It's Just the Drugs."
Return Travel Day 2 - Part 1

One last travel day! We're almost there, folks! We can make it!

We finished packing the things we'd left at my house, made a breakfast out of whatever was leftover of the snacks, stopped in to visit my little cousin and give him his souvenir, and hit the road.

It was a holiday in Canada, so most things were closed...which we didn't think of until we arrived at the empty Walmart parking lot. Oops.

Having been under the weather for the past 24 hours, and still not feeling fantastic, I took some medication prior to leaving town. We had a six hour drive ahead of us. However, one of the unfortunate side-effects of one medication I take is that it makes me really restless and irritable. I gave N a warning that I'd taken it, told him I'd try my best to stay in good spirits, and asked him not to take it personally if I was testy on the drive home, reminding him: "It's not you. ...It's not even really me. It's just the drugs."

I had been too sick on the plane the day before to eat the Disney maple popcorn I'd bought, so I noshed on it during the drive. When it was gone, I sadly moaned to N, "I just ate the last of Disney!" Sad day.

We made a couple of pit stops to get some fresh air, gas, snacks, etc. At about the 2/3 point in the trip we stopped and grabbed something to eat at a gas station, and so ensued the conversation that I'm not sure whether I'm most or least proud of from this trip.

N bought some normal-person travel food. I emerged with a couple of pepperoni meat sticks, individually packaged cheese, and an orange.

s12IqKp.jpg

N had been getting such a kick out of my travel eating habits (remember the airport?) As we're getting back on the highway he tells me that I eat like a viking. "You know, meat and cheese, and the occasional piece of fruit to get the scurvy away."

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

All I could do was laugh. Between the hilarious image of me as a viking, which I pondered while gnawing on a chunk of pepperoni, coupled with the ridiculous and awkward way he'd chosen to phrase that: "get the scurvy away." He must have been thinking the same thing, because suddenly and simultaneously we both shouted,
"GET AWAY, SCURVY!!"

I sometimes still shout this now, just to as an extra precaution to ward off scurvy when I'm taking my vitamins, etc.

We arrived home that afternoon, and in the matter of an hour we had everything unloaded and unpacked enough that N could re-pack his bookbag with a few toiletries and sets of clothes, and then he hopped in his truck and hit the road, returning to Orlando. :eek:

His work requires him to travel with a lot of heavy art supplies, which is why he typically drives his truck everywhere he goes. Driving usually ends up being cheaper and less of a hassle than both buying a plane ticket, and paying for shipping for his hundreds of pounds of supplies. Since he hadn't had time to sort out suppliers in Florida or anything, and since he would have had the extra expense of hotel rooms for the 3-4 days in between our trip and his show, he decided to just drive back down again. But it was a TIGHT timeline, and we basically had a "see you later" hug and kiss and he hit the road. :hug: Just part of the price we (mostly N) pay to balance out the fact that he can make a living doing something he loves.

Thank you so much for following along on our Whirlwind Adventure! I'll be back within the next couple of months with a whole new TR when we return from our August wedding trip! If you'd like to keep up to date with our August/wedding plans in the meantime, I've got my PTR linked in my signature and you're always welcome over there if you haven't joined in already. I can't guarantee whether my next TR will be more or less painfully detailed than this one. Hopefully less. I may take less-detailed notes on our honeymoon anyway, and I'll have started my masters around then, so maybe I'll quickly tire of writing pages of nonsense... :laughing:

Thanks so much for making my days all the better with your comments and your readership! See you all real soon!

Last edited:
So, I'm late to the party, and I definitely just read your entire TR! Sometimes a whirlwind weekend at Disney is exactly what you need (just ask my mom and me-LOL). It sounds like y'all had a great weekend, and I can't wait to read your future TRs!

So, I'm late to the party, and I definitely just read your entire TR! Sometimes a whirlwind weekend at Disney is exactly what you need (just ask my mom and me-LOL). It sounds like y'all had a great weekend, and I can't wait to read your future TRs!

What a trooper you are!! :laughing: I love binge-reading people's TRs! It was exactly the little getaway we needed. :goodvibes Thanks so much for reading—more trip reporting to come soon on the honeymoon-trip-front!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!