Getting copy of a 30+ year old birth certificate from an overseas base?

EsmeraldaX

DIS Veteran
Posting this here as well in case anyone can give my friend insight as to how/where to get a copy of her fiance's birth certificate from an overseas army base from 30+ years ago?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sheri
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello fellow DIS fans. I am hoping that you might be able to help a friend of mine. She's at a loss as to what to do and I knew someone at the DISboards would be able to help.

She is getting married in the Virgin Islands on May 9th. Her & her fiancé will be flying out from Boston that weekend, getting married on the beach on the island, and returning the following week. They are both American citizens. It sounds like a wonderful and great wedding trip.

The problem she is having is this:

Her fiancé can not get a passport because according to the post office (who I'm told gladly took his $140-something) told him that he does not have enough proof that he is a citizen. Getting to the islands won't be a problem, but returning will be and they might not let him in.

He was born in Germany on an army base. Both of his parents are deceased and he has very little in the way of "proof" of his US citizenship.

He does have an actual copy of his birth certificate but it is torn and creased. The seal is also missing and so is the name of his parents. He has his dad's birth certificate and his parent's marriage license. He has most of his school records, but he does not have apparently enough to claim he is a citizen of the US.

Does anyone know if, when he returns, a voter's registration card and a marriage license is enough to clear customs? He can't get a copy of his birth certificate. The post office told him to contact INS and I suggested contacting the US army for a copy, but the wedding (which is non refundable and paid for) is coming up in less than one month and we all know how long paperwork can take :(

Please, please someone help. Feel free to PM me here or email me at (email address semi obscured against spammers) sjipson AT SIGN comcast.net.

Thank you all,
Sheri

It is probably too late for this, but if he knows the name of the base he could start by calling there and talking to the hospital admin. They would be able to find out where the birth certs are kept...if they are kept on base, sent to a central place in the states, etc. What about his driver's licence?? Or his Social Security Card??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter