Gift Cards, on board credit & cc on file?

geoly1

Mouseketeer
What do they use first? Do you have to request they use On board credit first, gift card next then credit card on file? Our family is in two staterooms (connecting) do I have to put gift cards split over two rooms or will they combine charges since we are linked? If I call before the cruise & add gift cards to on board credit is there a limit to how much $$ they will add over the phone? I would combine gift cards on The Disney gift card site before I call. Thanks!

Usually onboard credit is used first...think of it as a declining balance. Let's say you put $100 on your onboard account as credit. If you buy drinks the first day or something in the shop the first night then those amounts will be deducted from your onboard account credit. Once all your credit is used up they will start charging your credit card on file when your charges reach a certain amount...I think it is $400 or $500 on a 7 day.

You can use Disney gift cards right at point of purchase in the stores onboard. I don't know how it works if you put Disney gift cards on your account along with let's say a TA onboard credit. All I know is they use any type of payment like TA onboard credit or Disney gift card amount first, then will charge your card on file when purchases hit a certain amount.

MJ

We had a couple gift cards we forgot to deal with until the end of our cruise. My husband brought them to guest services the last full day and they’d already charged our credit card, so they issued a credit. So while not ideal it wasn’t really a problem.

We had on board credit from our TA and DCL. I called ahead of time and applied a gift card to our account before the sailing.
They used the OBC first, then gift cards, then charged my credit card for remainder.

If you have multiple payment types on your onboard account, I believe they will apply in this order:
Non-refundable OBC
Refundable OBC
Gift cards
Credit card

Enjoy your cruise!

My kids got some Disney GC for Christmas, they could use them in the gift shops onboard? I thought the only option I had would be to add them to my account...that would be a lot easier to keep track of!

Usually onboard credit is used first...think of it as a declining balance. Let's say you put $100 on your onboard account as credit. If you buy drinks the first day or something in the shop the first night then those amounts will be deducted from your onboard account credit. Once all your credit is used up they will start charging your credit card on file when your charges reach a certain amount...I think it is $400 or $500 on a 7 day.

You can use Disney gift cards right at point of purchase in the stores onboard. I don't know how it works if you put Disney gift cards on your account along with let's say a TA onboard credit. All I know is they use any type of payment like TA onboard credit or Disney gift card amount first, then will charge your card on file when purchases hit a certain amount.

MJ

My kids got some Disney GC for Christmas, they could use them in the gift shops onboard? I thought the only option I had would be to add them to my account...that would be a lot easier to keep track of!
Disney gift cards can be used directly in the gift shops. Not for smoothies and such, however. Or they can be applied to your onboard account, and you use your KTTW card in the gift shops (and for smoothies).

Chase also has the Disney Debit card if you don’t want to use a true credit card. They will place a larger hold at times on things. Yet. You would still get your discounts.

Also, you don’t have to place a card on file at all. They give you a credit of about $700, then you need to make good on that.

JW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter