Gift Cards vs Disney Visa for Onboard

Princesselliebuns

Adventure is out there!
Hi All! I know that you can use Disney gift cards to pay off your onboard expenses (gratuities, shopping, etc) but can you also combine gift cards with your Disney Visa card? I know that as a Disney Visa member you can get discounts but does that then mean you can't use a gift cards? I have some that I've been saving for our cruise but don't want to miss out on the discounts.

AFAIK you need your card on file for on-board charging, but you can still apply gift cards to your account. For our recent cruise we put our Disney Visa on file but then applied our rewards points and a gift card to our account before we left. When we did our shopping and spa treatment the discounts were automatically applied, even though those expenses were covered by the gift cards.

As long as the Disney Visa is the card you have on file for your on board account, you will get the discount. They print a code on your KTTW card which tells the cashiers to apply the discount. The discounted amount gets charged to your account, then you can apply gift cards to your account.

On my last cruise, I called in advance of the cruise and purchased on board credits with gift cards, but my Disney Visa was the card on file. I was able to get the discounts.

AFAIK you need your card on file for on-board charging, but you can still apply gift cards to your account. For our recent cruise we put our Disney Visa on file but then applied our rewards points and a gift card to our account before we left. When we did our shopping and spa treatment the discounts were automatically applied, even though those expenses were covered by the gift cards.
Fantastic! Thank you!

As long as the Disney Visa is the card you have on file for your on board account, you will get the discount. They print a code on your KTTW card which tells the cashiers to apply the discount. The discounted amount gets charged to your account, then you can apply gift cards to your account.

On my last cruise, I called in advance of the cruise and purchased on board credits with gift cards, but my Disney Visa was the card on file. I was able to get the discounts.

Thank you!! This is great news

Can you still get the discount if you show the physical Disney Visa card at the point of transaction (instead of on file)?

LAX

Not to sound stupid, but what discounts do you get on board with your Disney Visa? Or what percentage of discount do you get when using it? I looked on the website and did some other searching online, but really didn’t see a specific benefit to using it on board. I couldn’t find any great info. Thank you !

Not to sound stupid, but what discounts do you get on board with your Disney Visa? Or what percentage of discount do you get when using it? I looked on the website and did some other searching online, but really didn’t see a specific benefit to using it on board. I couldn’t find any great info. Thank you !
Side note...I guess my real question/observation is you don’t get any real benefit/discount off drink purchases or Palo with the credit card? Other than the possible Castaway Cay discount the other “benefits” are not all that appealing to me personally. Just wondering

From the VISA site:
Create more magic and memories on your next Disney Cruise Line vacation. Use your Disney Visa® Card during online check-in or onboard at Guest Relations for all onboard purchases to treat your family to amazing perks while you relax, shop and play throughout your voyage.

Here’s how to take advantage of your new Disney Cruise Line perks.
1. When you check-in online or onboard at Guest Relations, enter your Disney Visa Card as your form of payment for all onboard purchases.

2. When you arrive at the ship, your “Key to the World” card will indicate that you are a Disney Visa Cardmember and eligible for the following onboard perks. Please mention these offers to ensure that you receive the savings.

3. Cardmember perks cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts, including Cast Member, Annual Passholder, Disney Vacation Club®, Florida resident, etc.

• 10% Off Select Disney Cruise Line Digital Photo Packages
    Receive 10% off non-discounted 10-photo, 15-photo, 20-photo and all-inclusive digital photo packages.

• 10% Off Select Merchandise Aboard Disney Cruise Line
    Receive 10% off select merchandise purchases of $50 or more aboard Disney Cruise Line ships.

• 10% Off a Castaway Cay Getaway Package
    Receive 10% off a Castaway Cay Getaway Package and enjoy snorkeling, bicycle rental, float or inner-tube rental on Castaway Cay, our private island!

• 20% Off Select Onboard Massages or Facial Treatments
    Receive 20% off a non-discounted massage or facial treatment service aboard Disney Cruise Line ships on port days only.

https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/disney-cruise-line/

Whether it's a value for you really depends on what you do on the ship. If you purchase at least $50 in one of the shops onboard, the 10% off is a nice benefit. The 20% off the digital photo packages can be nice too.

While I put my Disney Visa on file, I always add the GCs the first night. I don’t wait until I feel like things need to be paid off because there is a limit to your account when they automatically charge whatever is on file once you reach a certain spending limit. That limit is determined based on the number of nights sailing. I spent a lot more than I realize a lot faster than I think I do. I always pay my tips ahead of time so my bill doesn’t seem as large in the end. (Although Disney does know how to magically separate you from your money like bippity boppity boo!)

There is no tax on items on the ship.

Thanks. But PrincessShmoo brought up a good point, would I have to pay "duty" when I return to the US after getting off the ship? In other words, is it similar to travel outside the country by air where duty is assessed when the value of the acquired goods is above a certain amount?

LAX

Last edited:
Thanks. But PrincessShmoo brought up a good point, would I have to pay "duty" when I return to the US after getting off the ship? In other words, is similar to travel outside the country by air where duty is assessed when the value of the acquired goods is above a certain amount?

LAX
Buy goods onboard the ship, those goods are assessed just like buying things in a port/foreign stop. If there are limits on a type of item being brought back to the US from a foreign country, that limit also includes what you bought onboard the ship.

https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/disney-cruise-line/

Whether it's a value for you really depends on what you do on the ship. If you purchase at least $50 in one of the shops onboard, the 10% off is a nice benefit. The 20% off the digital photo packages can be nice too.

The all digital photo package is 20% off?? I'm looking at the perks on the Disney Visa's site and it says 10%. Am I missing something? Pre-purchasing is 15% off, so wouldn't the 20% off be a better option than pre-purchasing?

The all digital photo package is 20% off?? I'm looking at the perks on the Disney Visa's site and it says 10%. Am I missing something? Pre-purchasing is 15% off, so wouldn't the 20% off be a better option than pre-purchasing?

No, I made a mistake when typing that. It's 10% off the digital photo packages. The only 20% is off the spa packages on port days.

We had our money added via gift card to our account. I had Disney visa has my payment source. We got a discount on purchase over $50 in the gift store. I even got the discount on Douney and bourke purse and some art from the art gallery. So you don’t have to pay with the visa...you just have to have it on file. Your key to the work card with have a DV on the right hand corner

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter