Going back without Dad

momof2cuties

Mouseketeer
Just trying to get opinions.

My husband died a month ago, after a 3 1/2 year illness. We have two teens and a preschooler. When the older two were under 10 we went 4 times. After the little one was born, my husband got sick and we couldn't afford a trip. Last year we were granted a "gift" by a wonderful organization similar to Make a Wish, but for parents. It was great trip - we had a lot of fun and everyone was Disney-depressed when we got back to reality.

I'm thinking of taking the kids for a trip when school gets out, we would leave right before Father's Day. Just wondering if we should find some place new or if Disney will be healing (or hard)

Any thoughts?

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I can only speak for us, but WDW has always kind of been a healing place. We actually went while my mother was in hospice, it was a hard decision but my brothers all told us to go. We had been taking care of my mother by ourselves while she slowly went down, it was stressful and so sad. She loved WDW, actually took my son and I for our first time when he was around 2 1/2, I had never been before but she and one of my brothers lived in Florida and had annual passes. She, my son and I went a few times after that, us pushing her in a wheel chair but she still enjoying just being there. That particular trip was bittersweet, we were away from the stress and day to day of dealing with someone dying but we missed her already and had the added stress of not knowing when we got home if she was going to be still there (my brothers insisted that they shouldn't call me if she died since there really wasn't anything we could do about it). We did a do over the next year, before that we had been going every other year since that first time, it was now about 20 something years later. While it was sad, we smiled alot because we were constantly saying wouldn't Memaw love this, or remember when Memaw did this the last time she was here. It has become our place to go and just let the real world disappear, if only for just a few days.

Thank you Loves to dive. I appreciate you sharing your experience and I'm leaning towards taking them. Trying to work out the details.

I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

I would do whatever feels right, and whatever trip would be the most relaxing (or restful) for all of you, even your pre-schooler.

This is not nearly on the same level as you, but I lost my Mother and Step-Father within 5 days in February, we had already booked a trip to a resort prior, for March, everyone thought we should still go ahead as planned, as the pain and exhaustion was just so much. It felt odd, but it was nice to just be pampered for a week. No cooking, etc.
I think any trip you take will be hardl, to be honest, but if WDW will bring smiles and new memories, and it just feels right, then that is the place to be. You all so deserve it..

Like the others that have posted here, I think it might be healing.

And like them, and not on the same level as you, I also lost my parents then went to Disney to heal.

My father actually paid for the trip. We spent much of the trip talking about what he would have liked or not. Lots of, "Pappap would have hated this," or "Pappap would have loved this."

We laughed, and cried. But overall we had a wonderful time there and came back renewed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter