Going to WDW with an autistic child...

smg1062

Mouseketeer
This December, my soon to be 6 yr old will be going to WDW. Can anyone give me tips, advice on the best way to handle situations, lines, etc? I heard that medical notes sometimes help get closer to the front of long lines, and someone else told me that they would hand out cards to cast characters informing them that their child is autistic as not to touch or approach them suddenly.

Thanks,
Steve

I would love to know about the card with the characters. My 5 year old grandson has been diagnosed with hi functioning autism and bi polar. He is terrified of the characters and so far we have tried to avoid going near the characters. We are trying to go to Disney in April and I have a huge concern about the characters. I am not taking him anywhere near them but I hope they do not come up from behind us and scare him.
Also, I think there is a disability board here that may have more answers.

Steve,

I'm new to posting on this board although I've been visiting it for quite a while. There is a great trip report on the Mouse Planet site from a father who took his family to WDW in Sept 2002. One of his children is autistic and the father provides a lot of information (including the guest assistance card) and tips in his report. Here's the link:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/trip.rpt/report_files/wdwtr02/casali02se.htm

I hope this helps and wish you a wonderful trip.

Kate

I saw that the OP and bradleysnana did get to the DISabilities Board, but for anyone who wants to head over there, follow the link in my signature.
The only front of the line passes are for children on WISH trips (like thru Make a Wish). It says right on the Guest Assistance Card (GAC for short on the DIS site) that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate your wait in line. It is a way to let CMs know what sort of accomidation you need when there is not a visible disability.
There is some ettiquitte (?spelling) that goes along with the card. The instructions that we (and many other posters) got request that you use the card sparingly, use fastpass if possible and try to wait in the regular line if possible. As the writer in the trip report mentioned, often the lines are short anyway and the GAC isn't needed. Just knowing you have it is helpful (like insurance).
This site has a lot of good information and specifically has a lot of good insight into autism, since the webmaster (mistress?? since it's a "she") has a son with autism.
Usually there is a line to see the characters and if a child doesn't want the characters to come by him, not getting into the line will avoid most of the characters.

You might want to check some of my old posts on the disabilities forum from last year as we took my 8 year old nephew. we were all petrified as he had been to DW at 4 and it was a disaster. The only problem we had was getting on the astro orbitor with his medical pass. It seems the CM couldn't figure out why he needed a pass he "LOOKED NORMAL!" Talk about hitting the roof!
We did Epcot but there was a quick exit before the fireworks and got back to our room @ BW so he could watch them without the BOOMS!We were at BW with 23 members of our family and it was rewarding for i think just about everyone. My children are twelve and they were and are so loving with him and would just make it work. they would give things up and just say that's okay we can do it later. We are all going back in November for Thanksgiving and happy to say that whenever the word vacation is said Owen says "Go TO DISNEY!!!! NOW!!!!!!

I understand what you mean about the Fireworks. Alex watches them from our room at the BW but behind the sliding glass door and sometimes even peeking out behind the curtain. He is getting better (he used to not even be able to see the fireworks because he knew they made a boom even if he could not hear it)but he is still not ready to actually stand at Epcot and watch.
Becky
Nana to 3 boys ages 6 and under

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter