Good Neighbor hotel (lots of ???'s)

disneymom727

DIS Veteran
Which Good Neighbor hotel do you recommend? What about ones with suites? Which ones are the closest to DL? What are benefits staying at one of these vs. a Disney resort? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

We adore Candy Cane Inn!!!!!! Walking distance, but with a free shuttle all its own, very nice breakfast buffett, nice rooms, good price.

I have the same question. :) :wave2:

We are planning a DL trip also! Even though I live so close to WDW, I am really looking forward to re-visiting DL.
We were there once, just a few months after DCA opened.
DH registered for the DL half marathon.
Now I need to set up room ressies. :wizard:
Rather than stay on-site (although it is a real temptation) I rather spend less on a room stay so I can spend more on pins! :teeth: ;) :woohoo:
We are not resort people. We spend most of the time in the parks.
Our main criterias are close, clean, safe, and a place to sleep and shower.
On our previous trip we stayed at Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites, and had no problems or issues at all.
We are considering staying there again.
But I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a Harbor Blvd motel close to the DL Main Entry Plaza.
Suggestions? :hippie:
I don't need CHEAP. Reasonable, yes.
I have also looked at the Candy Cane Inn website and Howard Johnson Hotel in the Anaheim Resort.
I am wondering how close the HoJO really is. I know from our previous stay that many hotels made it sound like they were close, and they really were not. We liked the location of the Desert Inn for the nearby convenience.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Keep 'em coming. princess: :blush:

Enjoyed the free breakfast before an early day in the parks. Very close walking distance (and I am not a big walker). Free regular shuttle to and from the park, great for a ride back after a long day in the parks when the dogs are tired. Comfortable clean rooms. Simple swimming pool, not too big or fancy, but I'm not there for the pool, I'm there to go DL.

Happy Planning

Brenda

Luv2Roam said:
On our previous trip we stayed at Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites, and had no problems or issues at all.
We are considering staying there again.
Stayed there twice and will likely do so this summer. Closests suites to DL at his hotel, unless one of the others has remodeled, and there are only about 3 that are closer anyway, and the difference is negligeble. It's about a 10 minute walk; less if you hit the light right.

Cheers.

The way I understand it Good Neighbor Hotels are held to a slighty higher standard then the rest. Not to say that the rest are low budget. Some may not wish to partisapate(sp?). :thumbsup2

I highly recommend the Best Western Park Place Inn. It is one of the closest and cleanest to the front gate. The rates are reasonable and rooms are nice.

Just got back from 4 nights at the Candy Cane. Its our new favorite. We will stay there again, when ever possible. We loved the location, free shuttle, breakfast and all the plants and flowers on the grounds.

It was a hard choice. I went with a Suite that included a spa at the Desert Inn. Due to the half marathon I just wanted to make sure to get a room. If I decide to change....
But I think we will be happy there. More room than we need. But the price was right! And it gives room for privacy. DH can stay up late and watch TV while I SLEEP in the other room! :rotfl2:

I have always had a quiet comfortable stay at Candy Cane. Easy walk. If your legs give out, they have a VERY reliable bus that will pick you up. If the bus is full it will come right back. Great breakfast buffet.Their bus is their own. No multi stop pickups and drop offs. The beds at CCI were super comfortable.

I really liked HOJO's. The management was more than nice and accomodating - definite "can do" spirit. It also was close to resturants, whereas Candy Cane is not next to any. HOJOs seemed like a much longer walk - it is on the ART shuttle line, but I never found it to be convinient to take.

I like both, but my preference is clearly Candy Cane.

DH and I are staying at the Desert Inn. We got a regular room (not a suite) for $59 a night and it's about as close to the parks as you can get, plus it's got an indoor pool and hot tub (a rare thing indeed!). Gets good reviews from Trip Advisor.com for the most part, clean, comfortable but no frills seems to be the majority of the reviews. We haven't stayed here yet, but we're looking forward to it. Best Western Park Place Inn is next door and also gets good reviews, but tends to be a bit more expensive (not much, but it is more).

We are planning our August trip with 2 grandchildren - both 8 yrs old. Have been looking at staying at the Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate. Any comments on this hotel??? :earsboy: :earsgirl: princess: pirate:

HOJO's is a 7-10 minute walk to the crosswalk depending on where your building is located. We stayed at Desert Inn and Suites and the only thing I wish they would change is the breakfast. I brought oatmeal, bowls and spoons, and I am glad I did. My boys need breakfast and they had danish, toast and one type of fruit. They also had coffee, milk and juice. They had a little store next to the breakfast area that sold cold cereal for $1.00 a box if you wanted that. We would stay there again. Have also stayed at Park Place Inn and Mini Suites. Was not as impressed with that as we were Desert Inn. Still trying to make it to the Candy Cane Inn. Right now our budget dictates where we stay and these other places have been more within that budget. Here is a map though of the hotels that are closest to the entrance. Nice part are the links that are with the hotel.

http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

Have not stayed at the maingate, but check tripadvisor for reviews on it. They are generally very honest in their feelings toward the place.

We stayed at Stovall's Inn. It was within walking distance of the parks, and had free breakfast.

Just wanted to mention - if you factor in the cost of a good - and I mean GOOD - breakfast into the cost of the hotels that do not provide anything but danishes - somethimes the CCI comes out on top. Especially for a family. We found that we saved enough money on breakfast to pay the extra on the room.....

We are planning on staying at La Quinta Inn and suties. I know it is .5 miles from Disneyland, has ART Transportation and has a free breakfast. Has anyone here stayed there before? If so what did you think? Any where I cand find some pictures for this hotel?

Thank you

AFMom said:
Just wanted to mention - if you factor in the cost of a good - and I mean GOOD - breakfast into the cost of the hotels that do not provide anything but danishes - somethimes the CCI comes out on top. Especially for a family. We found that we saved enough money on breakfast to pay the extra on the room.....

This is very true. I have to say though that I always bring breakfast when we go on vacation because of my boys. They would snack all day if I did not feed them breakfast. So for me to bring it is something I plan on anyway. If they eat the breakfast provided then we just take it home with us.

We stayed at the Residence Inn Maingate, which was just OK. I would say that it was in desperate need of rehab. The breakfast was good, though it was difficult to get a seat.

Travelodge Inn Int'l...pretty ok for the basics. It is more than .5 miles as they advertised though. Friendly service, and made sure we got an adjoining room. Cont'l breakfast was ok... we went to Denny's (right next door) the 2nd day! We walked one night and it was 20 min. fast walk from the signal in front of DL.

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter