Good taste, commercial success & ABC

C

Captain Crook

I just read that ABC has cancelled "Thieves" starring John Stamos after only 6 episodes. The show was liked by the critics but flopped in its time slot after a good opening.

My question is, what is ABC (or any network) to do? They put out crap and it stays on tv for years and the dumbing of America continues. They put a relatively good show like Thieves (at least I enjoyed it) and it can't draw an audience.

I wonder if the answer isn't to stick with the low rated quality show & hope an audience forms (this happened with MASH & Seinfeld)...But then if the audience doens't materialize the losses have been magnified.

Any thoughts?
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

The problem is that people only have so much time, but they have hundreds of options now. It would be better to revise what it takes to be successful in terms of rating numbers.

I didn't care for 'Thieves' per se, (not there is anything wrong with that...) ;)

But, I am reminded of the year 'Cheers' came out. If I remember correctly, it was dead last for its first year of airing in the majors Nielson ratings. The network loved it and the creator, stuck behind the show, and when it hit its stride, it was a #1 show that is still beloved by many.

What would have happened had they pulled it early?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter