Goofy Challenge & Bib Pick-Up

KeepCalmAndCarryOn

charfinntastic
Hi all!

I am debating signing up for the Goofy Challenge but have some concerns that I'd love to sort out before I spend the money.

I've run a few marathons, and it just seems like the Goofy Challenge is a fun way to make the cost go a bit further ;)

HOWEVER, I teach, and I am really super concerned about getting approval for two personal days... What are the chances that arriving in Florida late afternoon on Friday would not be totally stressful in terms of getting the bib and also getting some rest before starting the half?

I am hoping to get a sense from my principal about the approval for a Friday and Monday, but also want to have a backup (Friday half day & Monday).

Thanks in advance for feedback on the packet pick-up and the sense of a later arrival with the challenge the next two days. Unfortunately none of the runDisney events align nicely with a school schedule, so if I am going to make the dream of a runDisney event happen, I suppose this feedback is needed no matter what!

Hi all!

I am debating signing up for the Goofy Challenge but have some concerns that I'd love to sort out before I spend the money.

I've run a few marathons, and it just seems like the Goofy Challenge is a fun way to make the cost go a bit further ;)

HOWEVER, I teach, and I am really super concerned about getting approval for two personal days... What are the chances that arriving in Florida late afternoon on Friday would not be totally stressful in terms of getting the bib and also getting some rest before starting the half?

I am hoping to get a sense from my principal about the approval for a Friday and Monday, but also want to have a backup (Friday half day & Monday).

Thanks in advance for feedback on the packet pick-up and the sense of a later arrival with the challenge the next two days. Unfortunately none of the runDisney events align nicely with a school schedule, so if I am going to make the dream of a runDisney event happen, I suppose this feedback is needed no matter what!

I think a late afternoon arrival would be incredibly stressful for Goofy bib pick up. The Expo is generally only open until 7:00 on Friday. Depending on what “late” means, you will most likely be fighting rush hour or near rush hour traffic in Orlando to get to the Expo on time, even if you’re taking a rental car or Uber to get there as quickly as possible. I wouldn’t risk it, if it were me. Especially not for an event and trip as costly as Goofy.

If time off is going to be that much of an issue, and I know it varies wildly from place to place, as I come from a family of educators, could you consider taking only Friday off? That way you could fly in either late Thursday after school or very early Friday (still risky as this year’s weather delays showed) to have plenty of time to get to the Expo. Then schedule a late flight back Sunday night for a Monday return to work. It’s far from optimal having to fly a few hours after a marathon, but if the option is that or no trip I’d try it.

Good luck!

I think a late afternoon arrival would be incredibly stressful for Goofy bib pick up. The Expo is generally only open until 7:00 on Friday. Depending on what “late” means, you will most likely be fighting rush hour or near rush hour traffic in Orlando to get to the Expo on time, even if you’re taking a rental car or Uber to get there as quickly as possible. I wouldn’t risk it, if it were me. Especially not for an event and trip as costly as Goofy.

If time off is going to be that much of an issue, and I know it varies wildly from place to place, as I come from a family of educators, could you consider taking only Friday off? That way you could fly in either late Thursday after school or very early Friday (still risky as this year’s weather delays showed) to have plenty of time to get to the Expo. Then schedule a late flight back Sunday night for a Monday return to work. It’s far from optimal having to fly a few hours after a marathon, but if the option is that or no trip I’d try it.

Good luck!

This feedback is SO GOOD! Thank you! Hearing that the runs are worth it enough even without the second day is exactly what I needed. Plus, that the Friday would be dicey; I would be looking for experience not a BQ :) So less stress is good, no stress would be best! Thank you!

As of right now, they do offer bib pick up on race morning if you were delayed and not able to get to the expo Friday. It’s not advertised by Disney bc it is supposed to be for emergency situations. My understanding is you need to get to the staging area as early as possible on race day and i’m assuming you would still have to go the expo to get your picture taken since you’re doing Goofy. Guess it depends on when you were planning on arriving to Orlando as to the stress level but if flying in I would say you need at least a two hour window to feel comfortable on making it to the expo.

What are the chances that arriving in Florida late afternoon on Friday would not be totally stressful in terms of getting the bib and also getting some rest before starting the half?

There is no chance of that not being stressful.

As of right now, they do offer bib pick up on race morning if you were delayed and not able to get to the expo Friday. It’s not advertised by Disney bc it is supposed to be for emergency situations.

It’s not just that they don’t advertise it. It’s that they nearly promise you that it’s almost certainly not going to be allowed.

Don’t schedule yourself so you have to do this.

There is no chance of that not being stressful.

It’s not just that they don’t advertise it. It’s that they nearly promise you that it’s almost certainly not going to be allowed.

Don’t schedule yourself so you have to do this.

I’ve never heard of them saying it’s not going to be allowed. I was actually told by runDisney once it was available when it looked my flight was not going to get to Orlando on time. And I’m not saying to plan on it - that’s not what it’s there for. But if OP runs into travel issues, then it is there for that.

Have you considered "just" doing the marathon?
After having done Dopey and a bunch of Goofy Challenges I absolutely love just doing the marathon.

Don't get me wrong, the Goofy is fun but focusing on only the marathon is much less stressful.
Only one day to get up early.
Only one "weather questioning" day to worry about.
The half is over so fast anyway, just stay in bed or hit the parks early.
Your legs aren't pre-fatigued.
The cost is nearly half.
You do the half course on Sunday anyway.
Family doesn't have to deal with your "ridiculous" schedule.
Etc...

I wouldn't do it if I couldn't be wheels on the ground in Orlando at least three hours before the Expo closed, and I would also be prepared to take an Uber/Lyft directly from the airport to the Expo (which means the associated cost with that).

Having volunteered multiple times now at the Expo, while not advertised (Disneyland actually had signs at the Expo that said "Sorry we missed you! Bib pickup will be available at the Information Tent in the Start Area" outside the doors if you showed up late), volunteers actually spend the last 30 minutes of their shifts compiling bibs and signature forms so they can be transported to the start area for pickup. This is NOT guaranteed, obviously, but it has been the habit since I started doing volunteer shifts at every race weekend starting with the 2016 Wine & Dine weekend. You will have to have your waiver and your ID and I'd say you need to get there no later than 4 a.m. - because the line for same-day bib pickup is LONG.

You will still have to return to the Expo (with your bib) to have your Challenge photo taken and pick up your shirts and that just seems - to me! - like more stress than I'm willing to put up with.

Save yourself the anxiety and fly in late Thursday night or early Friday morning and plan for the last flight out on Sunday.

Just as an example from last marathon weekend - my flight landed, give or take at 11:10 AM. I took Lyft to the expo ; picked up bib/shirt/few minutes on expo floor ; bussed to Poly which included having to stop to retrieve that ECV that came flying out from underneath the bus(true story) ; checked in at Poly ; took monorail to Epcot; walked thru park and was at Hurricane Hannah’s before the 2:00 meet up.

Obviously your trip from airport will vary due to traffic but that’s just an example. I will also say that I did not pick up my checked luggage but let it go to my resort by DME instead.

Have you considered "just" doing the marathon?
After having done Dopey and a bunch of Goofy Challenges I absolutely love just doing the marathon.

Don't get me wrong, the Goofy is fun but focusing on only the marathon is much less stressful.
Only one day to get up early.
Only one "weather questioning" day to worry about.
The half is over so fast anyway, just stay in bed or hit the parks early.
Your legs aren't pre-fatigued.
The cost is nearly half.
You do the half course on Sunday anyway.
Family doesn't have to deal with your "ridiculous" schedule.
Etc...

Definitely have thought about this, and I suppose it would still be the experience... I started running/training for marathons during a pretty emotional period of my life, and it was so amazing to have a challenge that made me feel strong and powerful. My next goal was to train for speed for that Boston Qualification (I grew up watching my Gramp run Boston, but he only ran if he qualified!), HOWEVER, my adorable 15 month old ninjas come first and speed training right now doesn't seem to make sense... I was thinking a great new challenge would be that distance piece! And knowing I won't get approval to do a full Dopey Challenge was considering something that had a chance of actually working into the teaching schedule... But now you have me thinking about what the real priority is...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts