Grand Californian Super Thread

I'm confused, why have a security check point at the front door if you can still get in through the side door with no security? Or did I miss something? I've tried to read everything but I could have missed something. I'll be arriving at GCH on the 22nd. Can't wait. 4th time at the Grand but first time during the holidays.

I'm confused, why have a security check point at the front door if you can still get in through the side door with no security?
There is no security checkpoint at the front door. Access to GCH from the street is restricted to hotel guests and guests with dining reservations (Storytellers or Napa Rose), this is verified by CMs near Disneyland Drive (there is no actually screening).

I'm confused, why have a security check point at the front door if you can still get in through the side door with no security?

This is a new addition when they expanded the security bubble to include DTD. GCH guests now need to go through security entering DTD and to keep that two Mag checkpoint from getting backed up, they now limit other guests from the PPH and off site hotels from cutting through the Grand and backing up those checkpoints for GCH guests.

It is not about GCH security, but rather ensuring GCH guests have relatively decent park and DTD access since both the DCA and DTD security checkpoints are limited in their size and capacity.

Can anybody advise which rooms are allocated as the premium Downtown Disney views? In the past we have stayed in 4155, from memory I believed this was a premium DTD view. We don’t mind a longer walk to the park and liked being in the main building. I was going to request this area for a booking in January. Is this area the best for DTD views and what is the highest level in this section of the hotel?

Thanks in advance.

We were in (I think) 5145 and were right across from the ice cream store in Downtown Disney. We had a balcony and a great fireworks view as well. My guess is the rooms on the 6th floor are the same.

Can anybody advise which rooms are allocated as the premium Downtown Disney views? In the past we have stayed in 4155, from memory I believed this was a premium DTD view. We don’t mind a longer walk to the park and liked being in the main building. I was going to request this area for a booking in January. Is this area the best for DTD views and what is the highest level in this section of the hotel?
DTD view are shown in GREEN, rooms are on floors 3-5. Premium DTD are likely on floor 5, perhaps also 4.
x4xx should have a better view of fireworks.

map_gch_dtd.jpg

How is entrance into DCA during EMH from the hotel? Long line still or do they let you inside the park before opening time like they do at the front?

How is entrance into DCA during EMH from the hotel? Long line still or do they let you inside the park before opening time like they do at the front?

We had no real issues using the DCA entrance in August. Very little wait to get through security although others have reported much longer lines than we experienced.

The line to get through security on Thursday Nov 2 EMH, was wrapped around the courtyard. It moved steadily. This was to Disneyland. The one to DCA was about half to White Water Snacks... it also moved quick.

--Lori

We just left there and I must say for $800 a night I was rather underwhelmed. The rooms seemed clean but just your average room. There's no free breakfast which you can get at a much cheaper hotel, and parking is expensive. Nice for a one time splurge, but definitely didn't see the value.

We just left there and I must say for $800 a night I was rather underwhelmed. The rooms seemed clean but just your average room. There's no free breakfast which you can get at a much cheaper hotel, and parking is expensive. Nice for a one time splurge, but definitely didn't see the value.
I am tempted to book this location for convenience but am suspicious that I’d have the same reaction... may I ask how many nights you spent at GCH and also did you enjoy EMH each of those days?

I am tempted to book this location for convenience but am suspicious that I’d have the same reaction... may I ask how many nights you spent at GCH and also did you enjoy EMH each of those days?
We were there 3 nights and enjoyed 4 EMH. That was the only big perk. But I think about staying at the Best Western Park Place Inn Plus. The distance to the park is about the same. Heading into the park at the wrong time from GCH the bag check line could be 10-15 min just like Harbor side. So is the EMH worth $600/night? I would definitely not do again, but was a great one time splurge. Especially where we are the type who only spends time in the hotel sleeping, not going to the Spa or swimming, I personally would save the money and buy an amazing souvenir.

... But I think about staying at the Best Western Park Place Inn Plus. The distance to the park is about the same. ....

Really? The distance to the park is about the same? Doesn't GCH have DIRECT access to CA park, and I'm talking about walking from both locations... not once you get there? You are saying that is the same as the Best Western Inn.... wow! OK

While I'm a big fan of GCH, I must agree $800 is too much. Premium view Club Level can be over $1200, which is crazy for a regular room. I'm amused (not critical) that you used "value" in your post, since at WDW value = cheap.
Is it really that dark inside? I imagined GCH for the holidays would be more warm and cozy looking
GCH has always been generally dark, consistent with the Arts and Crafts style. The renovation has certainly made guest rooms much brighter, both lighter colors and more lighting. Lobby is also somewhat brighter with lighter colors (wood floors, carpet, furniture), but the wood walls (columns) remain dark.
Really? The distance to the park is about the same? Doesn't GCH have DIRECT access to CA park, and I'm talking about walking from both locations... not once you get there? You are saying that is the same as the Best Western Inn.... wow! OK
Guests staying in GCH rooms near the Napa Rose elevators can be inside DCA in less than 2 minutes, which is faster than any room across Harbor. GCH is quite spread out and the walk from some rooms to DL can be longer than some rooms across Harbor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter