Grand Californian Super Thread

Is it really that dark inside? I imagined GCH for the holidays would be more warm and cozy looking

These pictures were taken early in the morning or late at night. It doesn’t feel too dark in the lobby. With the tree and garlands up the lobby has a nice twinkly glow.

Yay! Thanks so much for sharing the photos!!! I can't wait. We live in the No. California area and have been to WDW many times during the Holidays. But strangely this will be our first time at Disneyland to see the Christmas decorations. Went to the Halloween party last year by pure luck, didn't intend to as all the tickets were sold out. GCH had some tickets I guess they hold back for guest, I thought that was awesome!!! Talk about Pixey Dust for my DD BDay surprise.

11 more days and we will be "home" for Thanksgiving! :banana::cool1:

Really? The distance to the park is about the same? Doesn't GCH have DIRECT access to CA park, and I'm talking about walking from both locations... not once you get there? You are saying that is the same as the Best Western Inn.... wow! OK
Using the direct access to CA can be nice but from eaplanade to hote, I would say best western is closer

Using the direct access to CA can be nice but from eaplanade to hote, I would say best western is closer
Wow that is every interesting. Never would have thought. I first stayed at GCH when my daughter was in a stroller for the 50th Golden celebration. She's now 15. Has been my home hotel ever since. Too hard to change I guess.

The tree is up?! That’s amazing. It hasn’t gone up this early in some of our past trips. I’m so excited!

I wasn’t expecting to see it so soon either! There was no hint of it when we went to bed Thursday night but it was completely set up by early Friday morning. Those GCH elves work fast!

I would’ve snuck a peek in the wee hours if I’d had any inkling they were setting it up that night.

I wasn’t expecting to see it so soon either! There was no hint of it when we went to bed Thursday night but it was completely set up by early Friday morning. Those GCH elves work fast!

I would’ve snuck a peek in the wee hours if I’d had any inkling they were setting it up that night.

That happened to us one Thanksgiving. Went to bed at midnight and no tree, but when we left for the parks at 6:30 the next morning, it was up.

I’m so excited it’s up for our arrival in one week!

That happened to us one Thanksgiving. Went to bed at midnight and no tree, but when we left for the parks at 6:30 the next morning, it was up.

I’m so excited it’s up for our arrival in one week!
You’ll have so much fun! What a wonderful time to be in the parks. The weather was fantastic- warm enough to enjoy the pool and cool enough to tour the parks comfortably. It was our first holiday visit and I feel like we brought the spirit home with us- can’t wait for Thanksgiving and Christmas now!

Enjoy that gorgeous, gingerbread scented lobby!

New to the forum and need the input from the experts!

I'm a SoCal native, and I've always wanted to stay at one of the Disneyland Resort hotels. I recently purchased an annual pass, and now I'm looking to stay at Grand Californian for my birthday in May 2018. Specifically I want to stay in a club level room. Right now the rates are $938 Sun-Thurs and $1174 Fri-Sat for the week that I plan to visit. Is that the usual rate for that time of year? Should I book now and ask for a rate adjustment if the rate (magically) is less in the future?

Also, it's extremely disappointing that even with paying such a high rate, I cannot guarantee a king room. It'll only be me and my significant other. I don't have a need for multiple beds. Are there any tips for securing a king bed room?

Thank you!

ERQ

...Specifically I want to stay in a club level room. Right now the rates are $938 Sun-Thurs and $1174 Fri-Sat for the week that I plan to visit. Is that the usual rate for that time of year? Should I book now and ask for a rate adjustment if the rate (magically) is less in the future?
Those seem to be the default rates year round.
You could book now to guarantee your dates. There will likely be some discounts (AP or general seasonal).
...Also, it's extremely disappointing that even with paying such a high rate, I cannot guarantee a king room. It'll only be me and my significant other. I don't have a need for multiple beds. Are there any tips for securing a king bed room?
This is an issue with all DLR hotels, very irritating.
Early check-in will increase your chances of getting a King Bed, arrive at 6AM and take advantage of EMH.
The renovated King rooms are very nice :goodvibes

Those seem to be the default rates year round.
You could book now to guarantee your dates. There will likely be some discounts (AP or general seasonal).

This is an issue with all DLR hotels, very irritating.
Early check-in will increase your chances of getting a King Bed, arrive at 6AM and take advantage of EMH.
The renovated King rooms are very nice :goodvibes

6AM?!? Wow! I don't know that I'll be able to get there that early but will do my very best to arrive at the hotel as soon as possible. I will book now to guarantee my dates.

I'm not familiar with the abbreviations - what is EMH?

I'm not familiar with the abbreviations - what is EMH?

Extra Magic Hour...a perk for Resort Guests that gives you park access one hour prior to general public.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/extra-magic-hour-early-admission/

If you are staying on site and so desire you can park, check in, and store your bags as early as 6am and get your room keys on arrival day. You are then eligible to access EMH on check in day even though you will not get access your room till later in the afternoon at "check" in time. For an 8am park opening, EMH would begin at 7am for resort guests.

Extra Magic Hour...a perk for Resort Guests that gives you park access one hour prior to general public.

If you are staying on site and so desire you can park, check in, and store your bags as early as 6am and get your room keys on arrival day. You are then eligible to access EMH on check in day even though you will not get access your room till later in the afternoon at "check" in time. For an 8am park opening, EMH would begin at 7am for resort guests.

Thank you for the clarification and tip!

Are club level rooms near the club? Or is it that I get "access" to the club?

GCH looks like a very big property, and I was hoping to be near the club so that I can get easily access it. Is that what others would recommend?

Are club level rooms near the club? Or is it that I get "access" to the club?

GCH looks like a very big property, and I was hoping to be near the club so that I can get easily access it. Is that what others would recommend?
The Craftsman's Lounge (club level lounge) is on the 6th floor near the elevators off the main lobby. Club Level rooms will generally be nearby, on the 6th or 5th floor (there is no dedicated floor). I usually request a room near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose, good access to the DCA entrance and not too far from the lounge.

Club Level has dedicated registration/guest-services located outside the lounge.
If you plan on arriving early, the lounge opens at 6:30AM

Club Level has dedicated registration/guest-services located outside the lounge.
If you plan on arriving early, the lounge opens at 6:30AM

Do you have any idea where the dedicated registration/guest-services is located while the lounge is under construction?

Do you have any idea where the dedicated registration/guest-services is located while the lounge is under construction?
I did not use the dedicated registration on my recent visit, but am fairly certain club level registration is at the far end of the regular registration counter.

Marked up a photo (not mine, found on this board):
gch_cl_gs.jpg

I booked a premium view club level room. I want to request 6th floor king room with a theme park view. How do I make these requests? Call? Chat?

Also are all theme park views the same? Is it possible to get a view of Mickey’s Fun Wheel?

ERQ

I booked a premium view club level room. I want to request 6th floor king room with a theme park view. How do I make these requests? Call? Chat?

Also are all theme park views the same? Is it possible to get a view of Mickey’s Fun Wheel?

ERQ
My experience with Theme Park view at GCH has been that it's pretty unremarkable due to the trees. When I stay concierge, I much prefer proximity to the lounge! I do very much like the area over Napa Rose or just to the left of that wing. There is a nice elevator bank right there. There are premium rooms there also, but don't expect a fabulous view of DCA. You may see Grizzly Peak but not too much else besides trees. You used to be able to hear the band that played near GRR, but I heard they were let go and I don't know if they've been replaced.

Also, I once stayed in a room in the DVC wing (but it wasn't a DVC room) that overlooked Goofy's Sky School. It was a miserable location IMO, and the flashing light from the ride was extraordinarily annoying. The ride wasn't even running but the light was! It's sooooo far away from everything in the hotel and I found it dingy and uninviting in that area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter