Grand Californian Super Thread

I booked a premium view club level room. I want to request 6th floor king room with a theme park view. How do I make these requests? Call? Chat?...
You went "All In" :goodvibes
Try calling GCH directly. (I'm not sure the best number)

Along with not being able to book bed types, it's irritating that Premium View combines both Pool and Park views.
...Also are all theme park views the same? Is it possible to get a view of Mickey’s Fun Wheel?
I created a map to guide your requests:

RED: 6th floor lounge
GREEN: Park View (top floor 6)
YELLOW: Park View (top floor 5)
BLUE: Park View (top floor 5) -- long walk to lounge
ORANGE: Park View (top floor 5) -- long walk to lounge
PURPLE: Pool View (top floor 6)
(other pool view rooms are not marked)

A request to be "near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose" will be a room in: Green, Yellow, Purple.
map_gch_cl_pv.jpg

Picture from the PURPLE area, taken in 2005, prior to the VGC expansion:
gch_2005.jpg

My experience with Theme Park view at GCH has been that it's pretty unremarkable due to the trees. When I stay concierge, I much prefer proximity to the lounge! I do very much like the area over Napa Rose or just to the left of that wing. There is a nice elevator bank right there. There are premium rooms there also, but don't expect a fabulous view of DCA. You may see Grizzly Peak but not too much else besides trees. You used to be able to hear the band that played near GRR, but I heard they were let go and I don't know if they've been replaced.

Thank you so much for your valuable input!

Also, I once stayed in a room in the DVC wing (but it wasn't a DVC room) that overlooked Goofy's Sky School. It was a miserable location IMO, and the flashing light from the ride was extraordinarily annoying. The ride wasn't even running but the light was! It's sooooo far away from everything in the hotel and I found it dingy and uninviting in that area.

What’s DVC? I think I’ll stay away from this wing.

You went "All In" :goodvibes
Try calling GCH directly. (I'm not sure the best number)

Along with not being able to book bed types, it's irritating that Premium View combines both Pool and Park views.

I created a map to guide your requests:

RED: 6th floor lounge
GREEN: Park View (top floor 6)
YELLOW: Park View (top floor 5)
BLUE: Park View (top floor 5) -- long walk to lounge
ORANGE: Park View (top floor 5) -- long walk to lounge
PURPLE: Pool View (top floor 6)
(other pool view rooms are not marked)

A request to be "near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose" will be a room in: Green, Yellow, Purple.
View attachment 283332

Picture from the PURPLE area, taken in 2005, prior to the VGC expansion:
View attachment 283335

Wow!!! Thank you so much! I think I’ll go with your suggestion - near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose. I’ve read through more pages of this thread and your clever recommendation is always a win! One poster had a picture of the pool view and it didn’t look too bad. I guess I’ll place preference on 6th floor and near Napa Rose elevator.

I bought an annual pass this year and wanted to make the most of it. One goal for the year was to stay at a Disneyland Resort hotel. Looking at the rates, I figured I may as well go all out! Even with the high rate, it’ll still be cheaper than my usual week long birthday vacation in Maui! So I tell myself that I’m actually saving money! Ha! :cool1:

I’m so glad I found this board! Full of wonderful helpful information!

THANK YOU!!!

ERQ

...What’s DVC? I think I’ll stay away from this wing.
DVC = Disney Vacation Club (timeshare)
VGC = Villas Grand Californian (the DVC villas at GCH)
("villas" is what DVC calls rooms)

200 GCH hotel rooms were added along with the VGC in 2009.
The Park View rooms that are part of the expansion are Orange in my prior map.

More lobby updates from today—so beautiful!

Also, the little chairs and cartoons area for children is back!
Thanks for posting the pictures! This year we were surprised to see they started work on the gingerbread house before we left (on 5 Nov). They were selling gingerbread and chocolates, etc next to the gingerbread house, and we were able to buy some delicious treats before we left.

Here are some views from last week when we had a standard room facing the front parking area. These were taken from our balcony. It was quiet, woodsy, and lovely. The view of the parking lot turned out to be quite the respite! Now the standard room view doesn’t worry me at all.

Our room also still had a bathtub! Nice for those traveling with little ones.

Attachments

• 16B98841-9EBB-440B-BA1C-18733C377DB8.jpeg
    16B98841-9EBB-440B-BA1C-18733C377DB8.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 61
  • DB30C9C9-4EA1-4188-BA13-C36014144A1E.jpeg
    DB30C9C9-4EA1-4188-BA13-C36014144A1E.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for posting the pictures! This year we were surprised to see they started work on the gingerbread house before we left (on 5 Nov). They were selling gingerbread and chocolates, etc next to the gingerbread house, and we were able to buy some delicious treats before we left.
Is that gingerbread the same throughout the resort?

Last edited:

Is that gingerbread the same throughout the resort? Or do they differ at various locations? I couldn’t find a thread on gingerbread.
There is different gingerbread depending on location. Although you can find the same gingerbread men in other places in the park as well. I’ve found the gingerbread men at GCH (and the locations that have this same one) to be better then the rest IMHO.

Is that gingerbread the same throughout the resort? Or do they differ at various locations? I couldn’t find a thread on gingerbread.
I think we were lucky to get in on the gingerbread at the Grand Cal. since we left on the 5th. We didn't get a chance to sample gingerbread anywhere else. :) They also had some very elaborately decorated jumbo sugar cookies.

I think we were lucky to get in on the gingerbread at the Grand Cal. since we left on the 5th. We didn't get a chance to sample gingerbread anywhere else. :) They also had some very elaborately decorated jumbo sugar cookies.
They always run out of both gingerbread and hot chocolate so go early and be lucky for sure! Sooooo good!!

We just returned from GCH and want to share some information Club Level:
  • Craftsman Club Lounge is still under renovation and expected to be completed on December 8.
    (slipped from original target date of November 18)
Heard anything else on the opening date for Craftsman Club? We booked week before Christmas thinking another week of buffer time but now I'm getting cold feet! Called the hotel and the phone CM said his supervisor said there is no projected date by the construction team but they hope to have it open by Christmas.

Last edited:
Heard anything else on the opening date for Craftsman Club? We booked week before Christmas thinking another week of buffer time but now I'm getting cold feet! Called the hotel and the phone CM said his supervisor said there is no projected date by the construction team but they hope to have it open by Christmas.

I check in on Dec 15 and can update then.

Guys, I might have made a mistake booking CL GCH for pre-xmas... I had a dream not only was CL lounge closed but the turnstiles at the parks all went down and only people already inside could do the parks. The rest of us couldn't even get a refund due to a term and condition on the ticket that said technical difficulties weren't Disney's responsibility :rotfl2: I think I need a vacation!

Guys, I might have made a mistake booking CL GCH for pre-xmas... I had a dream not only was CL lounge closed but the turnstiles at the parks all went down and only people already inside could do the parks. The rest of us couldn't even get a refund due to a term and condition on the ticket that said technical difficulties weren't Disney's responsibility :rotfl2: I think I need a vacation!
LOL, well at least you know that no matter what happens when you are there, it will be better than your dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter