Grand Californian Super Thread

While I have never tested, I'm fairly certain the doors are wood. The door frames are metal, if that helps.
Thanks. We are having to switch from a cruise (that we were supposed to leave for today) to DLR due to zika and I was wondering if I’d get any use out of my door decorations.

Is there any shade at the pool? We are traveling with a young baby and would love to be able to stay down at the pool all together but the baby can't be in the sun that much. Are some of the chairs near trees or anything?

Is there any shade at the pool? We are traveling with a young baby and would love to be able to stay down at the pool all together but the baby can't be in the sun that much. Are some of the chairs near trees or anything?
There a quite a few umbrellas (closed in the photo).
There are also cabanas available for rental.
gch_pool_unbellas.jpg

There a quite a few umbrellas (closed in the photo).
There are also cabanas available for rental.
View attachment 297912
Great pic, thanks! I'm glad to see the pool itself gets some shade too! Do you know if this is a morning or afternoon pic? I'm thinking we'll be hitting the pool in the afternoons looking at how warm it will be next week.
Sadly Disney Cabana prices are a bit too steep for us for just a couple hours to justify.

Keep in mind that shade is very 'valuable' and it can be near impossible to find chairs in the shade during 'peak' pool time. The umbrellas shade two chairs give or take. I'd estimate 'peak' being noon to 4-ish during the summer months. So be sure you either pack a mini-shade or a big SPF towel to wrap baby up in.

There are also three pools; Fountain, Redwood, and Mariposa. Of the three I'd say that Fountain would be the one most likely to get some shade, followed by Mariposa. But I'd say it would be pretty late in the afternoon.

Keep in mind that shade is very 'valuable' and it can be near impossible to find chairs in the shade during 'peak' pool time. The umbrellas shade two chairs give or take. I'd estimate 'peak' being noon to 4-ish during the summer months. So be sure you either pack a mini-shade or a big SPF towel to wrap baby up in.

There are also three pools; Fountain, Redwood, and Mariposa. Of the three I'd say that Fountain would be the one most likely to get some shade, followed by Mariposa. But I'd say it would be pretty late in the afternoon.
Thank you. We are going next week. Where I live the winter brings long afternoon shadows in many places, but I'm not sure how it is in much warmer Southern CA.
I'm guessing Redwood pool is the one with the slide? My eldest wants to hit up the big slide lots. Of course that would be the least shady, lol.

Thank you. We are going next week. Where I live the winter brings long afternoon shadows in many places, but I'm not sure how it is in much warmer Southern CA.
I'm guessing Redwood pool is the one with the slide? My eldest wants to hit up the big slide lots. Of course that would be the least shady, lol.

Yes, it is.

You must be very hardy to swim in January! I'm a 100% California Girl and it'd be too cold for me to sit out on the deck! Disney would be in danger of my building a trash can fire to keep warm LOL.

FYI I saw some cute SPF towels on Amazon you may want to check out. They're like those baby towels with the hoods on them. With Prime free 2 day ship, you may be able to get one before you leave.

Hello everyone! Thanks again for all the info I"m getting from here. I'm wondering if there are any theme park view rooms that have a view of World of Color? Right now, I'm planning on asking for a "theme park view room adjacent to the napa rose elevators". But I"m wondering if there's World of Color rooms I could request instead? Or are World of Color view rooms really far from park entrances, elevators, etc? TIA!

Hello everyone! Thanks again for all the info I"m getting from here. I'm wondering if there are any theme park view rooms that have a view of World of Color? Right now, I'm planning on asking for a "theme park view room adjacent to the napa rose elevators". But I"m wondering if there's World of Color rooms I could request instead? Or are World of Color view rooms really far from park entrances, elevators, etc? TIA!

The only rooms with any type of World of Color views are the DVC villas. And those aren't straight on views.

One other question...is there a Navigator (I know that's the wrong term)....a daily sheet of paper that tells you what activities are going on at the Grand each day? I'm trying to find one online but can't seem to find it. I'm wondering about movies playing outside, etc. At Disneyworld I could usually find online so not sure if they don't have one or I"m just not searching the right thing.

I don't believe that is correct. I have had park view rooms overlooking Paradise Bay and WOC and it was not a Vila.
Do you remember if it was a long walk to get to park entrance/downtown Disney?? Or a room number, by any chance? Thanks so much!!!

I don't believe that is correct. I have had park view rooms overlooking Paradise Bay and WOC and it was not a Vila.

Ah - I forget that there is a handful of hotel rooms in what is otherwise the villas section. They are even further down from the villas section so more off center. The 11 rooms on the 5th floor and some of it could probably be seen from the 4th floor.

I really don't consider watching from the villas to be great - just ok if we've already seen the show in the park and happen to be in the room.

Yes, it is.

You must be very hardy to swim in January! I'm a 100% California Girl and it'd be too cold for me to sit out on the deck! Disney would be in danger of my building a trash can fire to keep warm LOL.

FYI I saw some cute SPF towels on Amazon you may want to check out. They're like those baby towels with the hoods on them. With Prime free 2 day ship, you may be able to get one before you leave.
Haha! Well it's supposed to be in the 80's next week according to the forecast and that's definitely swim weather for us, especially with a heated pool.
I may just pack a baby hooded towel. Thanks for the idea!

Haha! Well it's supposed to be in the 80's next week according to the forecast and that's definitely swim weather for us, especially with a heated pool.
I may just pack a baby hooded towel. Thanks for the idea!

Coming from a cold climate, you might find this hard to understand, but 80s in January feels much different than 80s in June. Us wimpy SoCal folks can feel the difference, but im sure if you're coming from snow country you'll think its glorious! Those of us locals might consider the jacuzzi, but my pool heater doesn't get put back on until April or May!

I’ve tried to book a variety of dates for August and September, even down to just one random night on a Tuesday and NEVER does a 2 bedroom suite come up available. 1 bedroom and 3 bedroom suites are consistently available, as are all room types. Are these rooms blocked out, still being remodeled or just so few that they are always booked? I mean booked every date I choose. Any insight?

I’ll add we’d love to do a 2 bedroom VGC but can’t plan that far out and be locked in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter