Grand Californian Super Thread

I’ve tried to book a variety of dates for August and September, even down to just one random night on a Tuesday and NEVER does a 2 bedroom suite come up available. 1 bedroom and 3 bedroom suites are consistently available, as are all room types. Are these rooms blocked out, still being remodeled or just so few that they are always booked? I mean booked every date I choose. Any insight?...
Seems odd, perhaps just a software problem. You might try calling.
Many 1 bedroom suites are located on a corner, with adjacent regular hotel rooms added to form 2 or 3 bedroom suites.

...I’ll add we’d love to do a 2 bedroom VGC but can’t plan that far out and be locked in.
VGC is very nice, my favorite rooms in DLR.

Thank you! Yes I dream of VGC 2 bedroom but we can’t be locked in at 11 months. And I feel there’s no other way. I guess I could try trip insurance if renting points but I’m not sure that would cover it.

Yes I think it must be a glitch. I’ll call.

We just got back from a stay at the Grand Californian last week. It was a bit chilly in the evening, but during the day it felt great. The resort is breathtaking and very open. Sitting by the fireplace listening to the piano player playing Disney tunes is very relaxing!

There is also a 6th floor deck to watch the world of color. I didn't check it out but they mentioned it upon check in.

Thank you! Yes I dream of VGC 2 bedroom but we can’t be locked in at 11 months. And I feel there’s no other way. I guess I could try trip insurance if renting points but I’m not sure that would cover it.

Yes I think it must be a glitch. I’ll call.

We snagged a 2-bedroom villa at the 7 month mark. Tried for the first week of June, but no availability. However, the last week of May was available still with the exception of one night, so we grabbed what we could and waitlisted the one day. We were very fortunate and got it within a week. I have a feeling someone was walking a reservation and we were able to take advantage of their cancellation.

There is also a 6th floor deck to watch the world of color. I didn't check it out but they mentioned it upon check in.

Interesting! Has anyone done this? Does it get crowded? We are doing a WOC lunch package but to avoid the crowds this sounds delightful!

Interesting! Has anyone done this? Does it get crowded? We are doing a WOC lunch package but to avoid the crowds this sounds delightful!

It can fill up but usually isn't bad. But the view is nothing like watching it from the park viewing area. You can't see the pictures on the water screens which is a big part of the show. There is some blockage by trees and attractions in DCA.

It's a distant view. You can get a general idea and the music, etc. is played but it is not the same as being there. You can see the water show and lights but not the best view (way off to the side.)

We stayed at GC in 2016 and had a 2BR suite plus 2 regular rooms. I think the regular rooms we booked must have had a downtown disney view category. Our rooms were all near each other. We were all in the corner of the hotel right by downtown disney and closest to Disneyland.

We're trying to book another trip for a larger group and can't find any 2BR suites available for the month we want to go (October), so I'm thinking of booking a 1BR suite plus a few regular rooms. Should I book downtown disney views to have the best chance of being together? or does it matter? I can't find the room map.

Where are the 1BR suites located?

Last edited:
We are headed back to GCH for the first time since the renovations. How is the coffee in the rooms with the K-cups now? I confess I'm a huge coffee snob, although I'll cope with bad coffee if it's all I can get my hands on. I don't use k-cups at home, but I'm debating buying some from my preferred coffee chain to use on the trip. Any other coffee folks who can comment on the quality of the k-cups in the rooms? I know I can head downstairs to buy a coffee if need be, but it's nice to get that first cup while we're getting ready in the morning and I'm still in my pj's. Thanks!

...How is the coffee in the rooms with the K-cups now? I confess I'm a huge coffee snob...
The Keurig machines are the basic single serving model found in many hotels, and are much better than the old Cuisinart pod machines. I prefer Nespresso for single serving coffee, but the Keurig is acceptable. Bringing your favorite blend will help.

Sadly, ceramic mugs are no longer provided.

The Keurig machines are the basic single serving model found in many hotels, and are much better than the old Cuisinart pod machines. I prefer Nespresso for single serving coffee, but the Keurig is acceptable. Bringing your favorite blend will help.

Sadly, ceramic mugs are no longer provided.

Thanks! I'm thinking I'll go buy some of my preferred k-cups...we don't have a Keurig at home, but I can always give the extras to my kiddo's school. I'm going to miss those ceramic mugs, though. Last time we were there, DS and I had a lovely morning sitting on our balcony and plotting our day while I drank my coffee. There's something about holding a mug that just adds to the peacefulness.

We had a nice visit last week, with excellent weather.
Just wanted to share a few photos.

When we left last Sunday at 11:30AM, there was a long line for check-in :scared:
I've been told that half the rooms change guests on Sunday, but GCH needs to reduce these lines (which extended to the center of the lobby and doubled back).
gch_line.jpg

The former Pinocchio's Workshop (daycare) is being converted to a larger fitness center.
The current fitness center is next door (in the former arcade location).

The new space is much larger, and seems almost ready to open (if it has not already).

Construction walls have been up in the walkway from the entrance drive, likely for construction staging.
gch wall.jpg

The wall have all been removed along with the paper masking the windows:
gch sign.jpg

A few interior photos (sorry about the reflections):
gch gym 1.jpg
gch gym 2.jpg

Did they bring the small chairs and TV back after the lobby reno finished? I know it was mentioned previously it was gone but we weren't sure if that was just while they were renovating. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm if it's back yet ..

Did they bring the small chairs and TV back after the lobby reno finished? I know it was mentioned previously it was gone but we weren't sure if that was just while they were renovating. I haven't been able to find anything to confirm if it's back yet ..

They were there at the beginning of December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter