Grand Floridian villas or Animal Kingdom villas?

puente0629

DIS Veteran
My family and I are debating about doing 5 nights in two studios at the Grand Floridian Villas or 7 nighst in 2 studios at Animal Kingdom Villas or 6 nights in a 2 bedroom villa at Animal Kingdom villa? We've stayed at Animal Kingdom before and it's not our favorite resort but it isn't our least favorite either, we like the idea of staying 6-7 nights versus staying at the Grand Floridian Villas for 5 nights but we do like the idea of having monorail access and trying a resort we never stayed in. Any advice? :confused3

I'd personally rather stay for less time at my favorite resort, vs. more time at a resort where I wished I was somewhere else.

The wild card here is you've never stayed at VGF, so I guess you don't know yet if you'd like it more than AKV. But it would be a good way to find out for future trips! :goodvibes

We had the same dilemma and chose VGF for a stay next fall b/c we wanted something different.

Completed a stay at VGF first week of January. We really enjoyed it there and it surpassed our expectations. The VGF building is in a great location IMHO, right near a very nice pool area complete with a special play area for the little ones. The Grand Floridian Spa is also located next to the VGF building, as well as, the tennis courts. The only area I felt that was far away was the dock.

As to the studio itself, it was one of the nicer ones in DVC, IMHO and I have stayed at all the studios in DVC. For space I like OKW, but for luxury; hands down VGF.

That's my two cents...

My family and I are debating about doing 5 nights in two studios at the Grand Floridian Villas or 7 nighst in 2 studios at Animal Kingdom Villas or 6 nights in a 2 bedroom villa at Animal Kingdom villa? We've stayed at Animal Kingdom before and it's not our favorite resort but it isn't our least favorite either, we like the idea of staying 6-7 nights versus staying at the Grand Floridian Villas for 5 nights but we do like the idea of having monorail access and trying a resort we never stayed in. Any advice? :confused3

Be aware the VGF is very difficult to get, it's a small resort. When do you want to go? If it's under 7 months from now (unless it's your home resort), you may want to check for availability to see if it's even possible.

I also was going to mention that it may not even be an option to get 2 studios at VGF since it sounds like you don't own there. Much will depend on the time of the year you are discussing.

I'd try VGF. I'm an owner at AKV, and have been less than thrilled with my last two stays :-(. I'm looking forward to trying out VGF in Aug... LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Stayed in a studio at VGF in Nov. It was absolutely beautiful! We always stay at BCV, our home, but wanted to try VGF while we could get a reservation. Was afraid as the resort sold, it would become more difficult to snag a reservation. Now I would LOVE to purchase points at VGF but I'm going to have to wait (probably a long time) until there are "reasonable" resale contracts out there!

I think it depends on what your preferences are. I would prefer Kidani, because I love sitting on my balcony watching the animals, and Magic Kingdom is our least favorite park. Beyond that, I'd likey choose the longest stay, since the travel expense is virtually the same, so longer is better if you have to travel a long distance.

Stayed at Kidani, was not impressed. Visited the model rooms at VGF and WOW!!!! We changed our BWV week to a split stay this summer.

If you aren't opposed to a split stay, you could do VGF and then somewhere less points like OKW.

Thanks you everyone for your advice!

So here's the verdict...I tried booking two studios and ended up only with one, I didn't want to take my chance with a waitlist even though it is early. We ended up in a 2 bedroom villas at AKV. At the end of the day I have to see it as I'm lucky to be able to take these trip and I can always go next year and stay at VGF.

So my new questions is...Which side is better Jumbo or Kidani? I currently booked at Kidani in a non-lock-off 2 bedroom villa but there are plenty of 2 bedrooms left at Jumbo house but they are lock-off.

Hello,

I stayed at Kadani a few years back and I loved it but I probably would have stayed at Jambo house because the food court is right there. The downside to Kadani is that you have to walk or take a bus over to food court. If being closer to food court is a preference I would say Jambo house.

Enjoy your trip:)

So here's the verdict...I tried booking two studios and ended up only with one, I didn't want to take my chance with a waitlist even though it is early. We ended up in a 2 bedroom villas at AKV. At the end of the day I have to see it as I'm lucky to be able to take these trip and I can always go next year and stay at VGF.

So my new questions is...Which side is better Jumbo or Kidani? I currently booked at Kidani in a non-lock-off 2 bedroom villa but there are plenty of 2 bedrooms left at Jumbo house but they are lock-off.

We own at AKL and just stayed at VGF.

We love AKL, but VGF is my new favorite. But I have been coveting a stay there since 1988.

Since you have a already tried AKL and it isn't calling you back, I say give VGF a try. Some might considerate too stuffy. I don't. But I like the fancy. Family liked the mirror tv's in the bathroom.

Be advised that the monorail does not operating M-F from 11-7 (based on my memory--my times may be off.). There is a boat though And there may be some busses during that window.

Missed your update--we love Kidani for garage parking and proximity to the pool over there. But if the services in Jambo are very important, that may be better for you.

Kidani is cozier and has a nicer pool I think, but like others said the quick service is pretty far away. However, because you have a villa with full kitchen I think this will be less important as you can have most of the food you need and make the walk (or shuttle drive) if necessary for more amenities. We are staying at kidani this summer in a studio and aside from stocking up on breakfast items I expect to be making the fairly long trek to the quick service at least once a day.

Jambo only has lock-offs due to them being conversions from hotel rooms. Kidani has 3 bathrooms which may be nice depending on the make-up of your group. Jambo is easier if you like to eat breakfast at a quick service place since Kidani has none.

I think I'm sticking with Kidani because of the 3rd bathroom, we are 8 people also we will be stocking up on food so we wont be needing the food court too often.

We are all very excited for our first stay there, any advise or insider secrets we should know about?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter