Grand villas at OKW or SSR

Countryrunner262

Mouseketeer
In need of opinions. Grand Villas at OKW or SSR. We own at SSR but havnt stayed yet. We just stayed at VGF for our first time as members because we bought a resale contract that had banked points so splurged and stayed there. However our next trip there will be 9 of us and are looking at getting a grand villa. My husband and I like the grounds better at SSR, but were curious about which villa offered more space and was nicer. Any feedback would be great!

SSR GV's are 2113 sq ft and OKW 2375 per the DVC resources thread. From the layouts I've seen the SSR GV's only have one small balcony which has always seemed strange to me. The other really nice thing is the points for the OKW GV's are much less than any other DVC GV's.

We've stayed in a SSR GV, but not one at OKW. The balcony at SSR is small, but we never really used it. From pictures I've seen, the "open living area" at OKW is bigger with more seating. That said, it's probably harder to get an OKW GV at 7 months.

We were very happy that we were all in the same room and not in a 2BR + studio.

Keep in mind that SSR has elevators in all the buildings. Most of the GV at OKW are on the 2nd/3rd floors with no elevator. (There are exceptions.)

There were 9 of us, too. We had PLENTY of room. It was much better than the 2BR + studio, which is what we've done in the past for big family trips.

I have stayed in a GV at both SSR and OKW, we are actually staying in a GV at OKW this upcoming May. It definitely gives you more room to stretch out. OKW has always been our home resort so it feels the most comfortable to us I suppose. The dinning room space is really great especially in the morning for breakfast together. :goodvibes

We own at SSR and have stayed at the GV at both resorts. The GV at OKW is much larger than SSR. When we have a group, OKW is our favorite place to stay because the living room has more seating than SSR along with floor space and a very large balcony with a table and four chairs.

Thanks for some input. The balcony and extra space are huge benefits for our family, but we love the grounds at SSR. We have until January 2016 to decide...we are just early planners.

This is tough - as a resort, I enjoy SSR more. But I have not stayed at their Grand Villas. OKW is not my personal resort of choice, but when we bought 8 teenagers with us one year, we found OKW Grand Villa was the absolute best. Plenty of room and large deck to relax. Really beautiful. The quiet pools were really nice, main pool nice, teens loved access to DTD and Oliva's was perfect for them as well.

My view differs from some of the other posters. I just don't care for SSR overall. This is just my opinion though. The GV at OKW is an up an down unit. Very spacious. Yes the resort is large but SSR I believe is even bigger. SSR is walking distance to DTD but I enjoy the 15 minute boat ride from OKW. To be fair OKW is my favorite resort. :wave2:

Of the two, I prefer OKW. It has much larger common area and balcony. A game table with four chairs in the living room in addition to the other furniture. (I think they have added a sleeper chair there as well?) Also, there is a three piece bath (no tub, just shower stall) downstairs for anyone sleeping in the living room, so it's really got four baths. Large kitchen and dining room. Not as close as SSR to DTD, but I really like the ferry ride to DTD. Points at OKW are much less. Enjoy your planning!

Alright after thinking it over...I would definitely vote OKW. FOR US BEING FROM NY and having lived in Saratoga OKW feels more like you're on vacation VS back home in NY. There are actually no palm trees on SSR property only pine trees to make it look like NY. I have had my fair share of pine tree gimme some palms :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter