Great "hidden gems" of Oahu article-off the beaten path places to go

Great list, thanks for sharing! We have a rental car for two days and I’ve been so busy with school and work that I’ve barely done any research. Five weeks and counting until we are at Aulani!!

Interesting list, but I think it's misleading. Nothing in Kailua can be considered hidden since tour companies bring people by the literal busload and many visitors find their own way there via rental cars. Tamura’s Market is a chain with 4 locations, though the author spoke as if it's only one. The thing I appreciate is that some Waianae businesses on the list!! God knows the population out there deserves a piece of the pie. It's sad the area with the most Hawaiians on Oahu is also the poorest. :(

I've done that Sugar Mill - it was interesting but I wouldn't drive out of my way for it but as a stop while doing other things in the North Shore was a nice way to kill time.

Interesting list, but I think it's misleading. Nothing in Kailua can be considered hidden since tour companies bring people by the literal busload and many visitors find their own way there via rental cars. Tamura’s Market is a chain with 4 locations, though the author spoke as if it's only one. The thing I appreciate is that some Waianae businesses on the list!! God knows the population out there deserves a piece of the pie. It's sad the area with the most Hawaiians on Oahu is also the poorest. :(
Well, it WAS "in quotes." And they did start off by saying, essentially, hidden compared to Waikiki. No bigger than Hawaii is, there's really not a whole lot (relatively) that's completely hidden. Alaska, yes. Hawaii, notsomuch.

Well, it WAS "in quotes." And they did start off by saying, essentially, hidden compared to Waikiki. No bigger than Hawaii is, there's really not a whole lot (relatively) that's completely hidden. Alaska, yes. Hawaii, notsomuch.

HTA has been promoting Kailua as a Waikiki alternative for years. Nothing located there should be on any hidden gem list - with or without quotes because it's one of the most touristy spots on Oahu. Of course, businesses love it, but residents complain about the buses, random tourists wandering through what used to be quiet residential areas, and of course, a shortage of parking anywhere that is halfway interesting or fun. One of the last times I went there, I watched a heard of tourists on Segways whiz by. Even in the short 5 years I live on Oahu, I could see the change.

The areas on either side of kaena point are probably the only spots even remotely “hidden” on oahu that don’t require a dangerous hike or climb (and dangerous quickly turns to impossible/deadly if it rains or if clouds roll in).

Also, I agree kailua should definitely not be considered “hidden” in any way shape or form...its nearly as crowded as waikiki with a fraction of the parking. There are areas where it got so bad street parking is illegal most of the time...you’d have to have written that article at least 15 years ago to even have it be a “hidden” gem...probably 40+ for it to actually be a hidden gem. They just have to build 4 or so more hotels and then it would pretty much be waikiki.

Every other island has multitudes of hidden gems.

I have to agree with the others that Kailua is full of tourists. The pillbox hike mentioned in the article is closed for two months because it's so overrun with tourists that the city needs to do maintenance on the trail.

I guess I just find it ironic that some of you who are local will note the ill effects of tourism but then throw darts at these kinds of articles. Looks like it's better to let the tourists think these are the "hidden gems," and save the real ones for the locals! A nice smokescreen, seems like.

There really aren’t any hidden gems on oahu...not for many decades...

Hidden...yes...gems...yes....just not both at the same time unless you want some very dangerous climbing with no safety gear (quite a few have died, good climbers die too...so won’t mention the name).

When most think of hidden gems they’re places where you can go and maybe see 2 or 3 other people (if that) on any given day...there are simply too many people on oahu for that to be possible. Theres probably close to or over a million people on oahu (counting tourists)...and the island isn’t very big...there simply isn’t enough beach or anything for there to be hidden gems on oahu (and any article that says something is a local favorite...expect heavy crowds). Most of the places that have mostly/only locals there isn’t because its nicer...its because there aren’t as many tourists so they tend to be the not as nice beaches/spots.

Oahu is tops when it comes to places in Hawaii where people know the name...but hidden gems...nothing that should qualify, unless hidden gem simply means “more locals than tourists”...(which then includes every mcdonalds outside of waikiki.)

Dillingham airfield comes closest to being a hidden gem on that list...but its far from the nicest views on oahu (which is why its not swarming with tourists or locals), and there are times where there are a ton of cars parked near there from people hiking to kaena point.

If you go to the big island or kauai...almost the entire island is a hidden gem (maui is a bit too much of a honeymoon spot...but still has a few). Particularly kauai...spin around with your finger pointing straight in front of you...randonly stop, and 90%+ chance your pointing at a hidden gem (as long as its not the airport or hotel)

I guess I just find it ironic that some of you who are local will note the ill effects of tourism but then throw darts at these kinds of articles. Looks like it's better to let the tourists think these are the "hidden gems," and save the real ones for the locals! A nice smokescreen, seems like.
I said that article is misleading people into thinking that Kailua is a hidden gem when it’s actually one of the most touristy towns on that island. That is the complete opposite of what you’re accusing us of.
If you go to the big island or kauai...almost the entire island is a hidden gem (maui is a bit too much of a honeymoon spot...but still has a few). Particularly kauai...spin around with your finger pointing straight in front of you...randonly stop, and 90%+ chance your pointing at a hidden gem (as long as its not the airport or hotel)
I’m not sure about that. I moved to Kauai this past fall, and I’ve never been anywhere yet they didn’t have tourists also enjoying whatever spot I’m at.

I don't think any of us locals are trying to create a smokescreen or trying to preserve the real "hidden gems." We're just trying to inform other readers on this forum that some of the information in the article is very, very wrong. I would hate for someone to make the commute from Aulani to Kailua only to find that just about every good restaurant in Kailua has a one-hour wait at 10:30am on a weekday.

I’m not sure about that. I moved to Kauai this past fall, and I’ve never been anywhere yet they didn’t have tourists also enjoying whatever spot I’m at.

It's very sad how busy Kauai has become. I spent a lot of time there in the early 2000's, and I rarely saw a lot of tourists outside of the typical site seeing spots and resort areas. When I was there in 2014 for a wedding, I was shocked by the traffic through Kapaa! I thought Polihale would never be "discovered" but even that beach had a fair number of tourists.

So many first time to Aulani people post here looking for suggestions for places to visit off the resort. Of course the very popular places like Hamauma and Pearl Harbour etc always top the list so I felt this article gave some other options for first timers or people who are looking for something a little different. I totally agree that Kailua is very touristy now and should not be on a list of “hidden gems” but it is still a lovely beach town with a very different vibe than Ko Olina and imho worth the visit. I think the article is mis titled but still a valuable resource for the type of Oahu traveller who asks questions on these boards regarding what to do away from Aulani

It's very sad how busy Kauai has become. I spent a lot of time there in the early 2000's, and I rarely saw a lot of tourists outside of the typical site seeing spots and resort areas. When I was there in 2014 for a wedding, I was shocked by the traffic through Kapaa! I thought Polihale would never be "discovered" but even that beach had a fair number of tourists.

Yeah, I live in Kapaa and work in Lihue and the traffic between those two makes me want to hit my head on the steering wheel. Generally, I can take the bypass, but sometimes I want to run errands in town but end up not doing it because the traffic is so slow.

I don't think any of us locals are trying to create a smokescreen or trying to preserve the real "hidden gems.".

And the article wasn't written by a local. It's a tourist misinforming other tourists, not locals trying to smokescreen anyone.

Thank you for your report, it is really helpful for me as this will be my first time to Aluani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter