Great Trip--Awesome Surprise!

bekkiz

DIS Veteran
Background:
My boyfriend and I decided we needed a break from work, both of us were starting to burn out, and I certainly wasn't going to make it until Thanksgiving. About two weeks ago we settled on a quick weekend trip down south to visit one of our favorite places, Disneyland. We hadn't been in a few years and were excited to finally see DCA. His step-sister is a cast member, so we were also excited to see her in action! After some deliberation, we picked the Desert Palm Inn and Suites to stay for the three nights.

Day One
10/31/02
We left our home (near San Jose) around 2 and started the long drive down. We stoped near Magic Mountain to get gas and had dinner at Hamburger Hamlet. It was on about the same level as Marie Callender's, not too expensive, quick good food. The vanilla milkshake was not up to par though! We made it to our hotel around 8:30. We just watched TV, called his step-sister to check in and went to sleep.

Day two
11/1/02
This would prove to be a long day. We had arranged to meet Adam's step-sister at 10:30 infront of Disneyland, however, I woke up at 7! I checked out the continental breakfast. It was pretty sorry, so I stuck to the bagels and fruit we had brought with us.
We walked over to Disneyland, about a 10-12 minute walk, but very nice and met up with his step-sister. We went in and quickly jumped on some rides. First up Indy (only a 20 min. wait), Pirates and Haunted Mansion. I loved the new version of HM, it was very well done! At that point his step-sister had to leave, and we were hungery for lunch.
We hopped over to DCA to eat and check out some rides. Fist things first, we got a FP for Soarin'. We looked at the guide for a good place to eat, and picked the Pacific Wave Cafe. It was very good. I has the Sonoma Chicken and Apple Salad (tasty, but only 1 piece of apple!), Adam had the broccoli cheese soup. It was terrific. Both came in a bread bowl. Both plus a bottle of H20 was about $18.
Adam somehow convinced me to go on the ferris wheel (I'm scared of heights and falling) but it wasn't too bad. We mad it over to soarin'. Awesome ride, very well done. We hopped on Mulholland Maddness, fun stuff.
I wanted a milkshake, but the stand was closed, so we hopped back to DL and went to Gibson Girl for them. We took them on the train, just to have nice things to look at as we drank. Then we went back to DCA (gotta love those hoppers) to ride Screamin' (LOVED IT!!), do Millionaire and see Muppets. We also sat and kid watched at Flick's Fun Fair. The little ones love that water!
Back to DL. We saw tommorowland (Star tours, space mountain), Jumped on Alice in Wonderland (also bought bride's mouse ears for a friend getting married in April--a little foretelling as you'll see!) and snuck on pirates just before our 8:20 ressie at Blue Bayou. What can I say about this place? Yum, yum! I had the pork roast with potatoes, veggies and apples. Adam had the prime rib. Both were awsome. For dessert, he had the cheescake, I had the chocolate pecan pie. I should have known something was up--he never orders dessert!
As we walked out (I was stuffed and ready to go!), he nudged me toward the castle, saying it's so pretty, I want to take your picture. He did, and then came over and hugged me. Here's the rest:
Him: Did you have the best day?
Me: I had the best day!
Him: Do you want to make it better?
Me: (knowing what was coming...) Please don't get down!
Him: I have to!
Me: No! I'm embarrassed!
Him: We'll compromise. Sit on the bench (on the rigt of the castle).
He got down on one knee and said some very sweet things and asked me to marry him! Of course I said yes and we just hugged forever! We floated home and I kept saying, Oh my god, oh my god!
That night we called the moms to let them know.

Day Three
11/2/02
Still floating, I woke up at 5 in the morning! I woke up my now fiance to keep me company, but I let him go back to sleep after a while and just read. We were to meet his step-sister for breakfast at 10:30 at Mimi's on Harbor. She had known it was coming (so had almost everyone on his side, his hockey team, his work friends and my dad!) and was very happy for us. Breakfast was good. I had eggs and potatoes and a pumpkin muffin...good stuff!
We headed to the park and did a few rides. We had a snack from Bengal BBQ (2 chicken and a spicy beef--liked the chiken, beef tasted like rehydrated beef jerkey, Adam ate that one) and split a dole whip (a favorite)
My dad coaches my alma mater's water polo team and they had a game at Long Beach State, so we drove out there to see them (And of course to show off)
We came home and went back to DCA. We rode screamin' 2x in a row, and did a few other things, then headed back to DL. I was ready for dinner, so we went to Redd Rocket's Pizza Port. I had a salad and a piece of BBQ chicken pizza, Adam had pepperoni. It was very good.
We waited for the monorail, and rode it round-trip. We also waited FOREVER for Autotpia, but it was fun. We hit Fantasyland for Mr. Toads and also Toontown for Rodger Rabbit.
I was really, really, tired and we decided just to pick up some presents from the candy store, and share an ice cream from Gibson Girl before heading out.

Day Four
11/3/02
We slept in, before checking out and heading home. Nothing that exciting to report, but we did stop at claim jumper for lunch, yummy and my sandwhich lasted me through dinner it was so big! We made it home in time for the end of the sharks game and simpsons!

Thanks for reading!

flowerface.GIF
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=navy>

Congratulations. What a great place to get engaged. So nice to see that romance lives on. :)

What a magical proposal. Congratulations.

MandaMom

Congrats!!! What an awesome trip!! :Pinkbounc I know you'll cherish that moment forever - I also got a surprise proposal but at the wishing well - we have some good guys huh? ;) Best wishes

I'm planning our first visit to Disneyland for this summer. We've been to Disneyworld 6 years in a row and I think it's time to see Disneyland. I would appreciate any and all suggestions as to when is the best time to go, which Disney resort is better, etc.
Thanks so much

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter