Greece Restaurants

Networth

DIS Veteran
I am have been trying to research restaurants for the on your own time for our upcoming Greece ABD. Anyone have any recommendations?

If you are still thinking of travelling to Greece ..... where are you travelling to & When ?

I am have been trying to research restaurants for the on your own time for our upcoming Greece ABD. Anyone have any recommendations?
I'm also on an upcoming Greece ABD (end of August), and we're really planning to wing it. I've seen a couple of people talk about how great some of the "street food" is (things like gyros sold from carts), but I know the guides will also make recommendations based on what you and your group are interested in. We're hoping to try stuff that's less touristy and more local.

I'm also on an upcoming Greece ABD (end of August), and we're really planning to wing it. I've seen a couple of people talk about how great some of the "street food" is (things like gyros sold from carts), but I know the guides will also make recommendations based on what you and your group are interested in. We're hoping to try stuff that's less touristy and more local.

Good to know. We have only been on one other ABD it was the Disneyland short escape so we had no OYO time. I wanted to ask the guides for recommendations while on the trip but I had a concern that places they would recommend would either be booked up or touristy/Americanized food. Sounds like that isn’t the case.

Good to know. We have only been on one other ABD it was the Disneyland short escape so we had no OYO time. I wanted to asked the guides for recommendations while on the trip but I had a concern that places they would recommend would either be booked up or touristy/Americanized food. Sounds like that isn’t the case.
I've never been on an ABD, so I'm speaking mostly from what I've read, but I think if you told them that you're looking for an authentic, local experience they'll help you find that.

Good to know. We have only been on one other ABD it was the Disneyland short escape so we had no OYO time. I wanted to ask the guides for recommendations while on the trip but I had a concern that places they would recommend would either be booked up or touristy/Americanized food. Sounds like that isn’t the case.
The Adventure Guides are excellent at giving you recommendations for local, not-commercialize places. They have to eat in these places week after week after week, and they don't eat touristy/Americanized food!

Sayhello

The Adventure Guides are excellent at giving you recommendations for local, not-commercialize places. They have to eat in these places week after week after week, and they don't eat touristy/Americanized food!

Sayhello

Awesome! One less thing to research and book.

in Santorini we stayed in Oía. Full disclosure- Santorini was arguably my least favorite island. That didn't mean we didn't have good food, though. Santorini had a lot of good coffee shops within walking distance of the house we rented. A lot of them also sold ice cream. Those were fun to visit.

Santorini was the last leg of our 4 island journey. We were kind of sick of Greek food (*gasp*). We decided to try our luck with a Mexican Greek place with mixed reviews. The food was decent but unmemorable. The views were worth the trip. This place is kinda as much in the middle of no where as Santorini gets, though. Señor Zorba's.

Another stand out meal in Santorini was at Elinikon. Just a fantastic meal with amazing service. And stunning views. This one had a long wait for a table and we would not have gotten in except for that someone bailed on their reservation. It's a small restaurant. If you want to eat here, particularly at sunset, get a reservation.

We really flew by the seat of our pants dining wise in Greece planning no meals in advance and didn't have a bad meal. The Greeks like their food and know how to do it well.

Hi there - our ABD guide, Mary, recommended that we go to a place called The Ferryman while on the island of Crete. It was an upscale, waterfront place that I would describe as "gourmet Greek." It was so delicious from the appetizers to the desserts. The atmosphere is beautiful, so try to go for the sunset if you can. I would highly recommend it, but a reservation is essential.

in Santorini we stayed in Oía. Full disclosure- Santorini was arguably my least favorite island. That didn't mean we didn't have good food, though. Santorini had a lot of good coffee shops within walking distance of the house we rented. A lot of them also sold ice cream. Those were fun to visit.

Santorini was the last leg of our 4 island journey. We were kind of sick of Greek food (*gasp*). We decided to try our luck with a Mexican Greek place with mixed reviews. The food was decent but unmemorable. The views were worth the trip. This place is kinda as much in the middle of no where as Santorini gets, though. Señor Zorba's.

Another stand out meal in Santorini was at Elinikon. Just a fantastic meal with amazing service. And stunning views. This one had a long wait for a table and we would not have gotten in except for that someone bailed on their reservation. It's a small restaurant. If you want to eat here, particularly at sunset, get a reservation.

We really flew by the seat of our pants dining wise in Greece planning no meals in advance and didn't have a bad meal. The Greeks like their food and know how to do it well.

That food looks fantastic I will try and book around sunset.

Hi there - our ABD guide, Mary, recommended that we go to a place called The Ferryman while on the island of Crete. It was an upscale, waterfront place that I would describe as "gourmet Greek." It was so delicious from the appetizers to the desserts. The atmosphere is beautiful, so try to go for the sunset if you can. I would highly recommend it, but a reservation is essential.

Sounds great. I was hoping for one nice high end waterfront meal for my wife and I. Did you make your own reservation or were the guides able to do so?

Last edited:
Sounds great. I was hoping for one nice high end water front meal for my wife and I. Did you make your own reservation or were the guides able to do so?
It was such a memorable meal for our family, and stands out as one of the best nights of the vacation for us. Our guide, Mary, called up to help us get the reservation. This whole trip is just amazing and full of delicious foods!

In Crete, I highly recommend Paliria in Plaka - arguably one of the best meals in our entire 3 week trip through Greece. There specialty is a fish baked in a salt crust and they open it for you at the table - so good! We also liked Despina Taverna in Elounda.

In Athens (in Mikrolimano), Papaioannou was amazing! The fish was extraordinary. It's off the beaten path and you would have to take a cab there. We also really enjoyed Makalo and Barbadimos Syntagma. If you are looking for a bakery for AMAZING Greek pastries, go to Konstantinidis Pastry - all of our tour guides said it would be the best baklava in Greece, I don't think they were wrong, but the chocolate pie was even better!

In Santorini, if you'd like a sunset dinner, try Sunset Ammoudi (you will need to take a car there or take the steps from Oia or, in Oia, try Pelekanos (you will most definitely need reservations if you want to eat dinner during sunset). Also in Santorini, if you are in the Kamari beach area, try Imba.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts