Grocery shopping during Coronavirus?

I just wish I could find some yeast! I finally broke down and ordered some on eBay
Try calling to small bakeries in your area. Many of the small bakeries and gourmet shops in our area are now selling groceries on the side to supplement their business. Our bakery is selling small bags of flour, sugar, yeast, and fresh eggs, too.

Grocery shopping sucks now. Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods are limiting the people allowed into the store at one time so you have to wait at least an hour outside...
Agree. So wearisome. We are very blessed to have what we need for now and are careful not to be wasteful; but DH has chosen to do the shopping to protect my immune system. With his work requiring 10 hour days, trying to fit in grocery shopping, especially when that means stopping at 4 or 5 stores to find basics, is a challenge! Delivery either takes a month to ship or has no slots for pick up. What a crazy world!

DD wanted Magnum Ice Cream bars last night. I went out to the store and OMG! There's no ice cream. DH and I are on diets so I have not been in the ice cream aisle for months. I snagged her the last package of Haagen Dazs bars. WOW!

I don't even know what this means! I understand "I'm going to get whatever I might need in case you run out", but this is beyond anything!!!

It's people like this that are why things are like they are here...just take what you need...

We have found that the ice-cream cases are being hit pretty hard... We did get lucky and score some "Fat Buddy" ice cream sandwiches... DH and I love these... they are kinda old school, like us.... LOL....

I'm really bummed. DH does not get it and treats this like a normal shopping week and says we must stick to our normal (pre-corona) budget. Kiddos are home with us now and DH and I are plant based eating. It is nearly impossible to eat healthy and make separate meals for the kids. It was hard enough alone making lists before, but now I am beyond frustrated since so many things we eat are out of stock.

I'm really bummed. DH does not get it and treats this like a normal shopping week and says we must stick to our normal (pre-corona) budget.
I think you need to have a real discussion with him. This is not normal,and if you aren't able to go stock up on items you need,you're going to run into supply issues depending on where you live.

I think you need to have a real discussion with him. This is not normal,and if you aren't able to go stock up on items you need,you're going to run into supply issues depending on where you live.
Thanks hsmamato2. I am tonight. He does not like it when I'm upset so he will listen. I just shouldn't have to explain this. He's oblivious since I am able to pull meals together with little effort so he thinks it's easy.

I canceled a Whole Foods delivery for tomorrow to add potatoes and a loaf of bread and now I can’t get a delivery window. Jokes on me!!!!

I canceled a Whole Foods delivery for tomorrow to add potatoes and a loaf of bread and now I can’t get a delivery window. Jokes on me!!!!

Yeah, if I get a window, there are always foods that went out of stock that I really needed (and then more that don't show up on the day of order)...but I keep the window and try again a week later...

Finally had to use Amazon Pantry to have a shot at minced garlic...supposedly it will be in my box Apr 5...

Yeah, if I get a window, there are always foods that went out of stock that I really needed (and then more that don't show up on the day of order)...but I keep the window and try again a week later...

Finally had to use Amazon Pantry to have a shot at minced garlic...supposedly it will be in my box Apr 5...
I’ve been pretty lucky with Whole Foods so I thought I would be okay. Now I know! I’ll keep checking to try and get a window sometime this week. Nothing is urgent. Just needed some produce, coffee, bread.

I don’t typically shop at Whole Foods because it’s pricey, but it’s been working out for me so far (except this!).

Thanks hsmamato2. I am tonight. He does not like it when I'm upset so he will listen. I just shouldn't have to explain this. He's oblivious since I am able to pull meals together with little effort so he thinks it's easy.
I hear ya. My DH has ben around more than usual lately,and is still surprised by the amount of time I spend on planning and making meals...now more than ever lately of course!

I hear ya. My DH has ben around more than usual lately,and is still surprised by the amount of time I spend on planning and making meals...now more than ever lately of course!
It's nice to know I'm not alone with the time spent in the kitchen. I guess we are just so darned awesome the'd be lost without us! :-) He really appreciates all I do and tells me all the time so I can't complain.

I’ve been pretty lucky with Whole Foods so I thought I would be okay. Now I know! I’ll keep checking to try and get a window sometime this week. Nothing is urgent. Just needed some produce, coffee, bread.

I don’t typically shop at Whole Foods because it’s pricey, but it’s been working out for me so far (except this!).

Update - got me a delivery window for today so I should be good for hopefully another week+

Fred meyer (kroger) threw me for a loop today. Last week they opened this week on Wed or Thurs for the following week. Went on the app to check coupoms after an email they sent and checked the pickups just to see and they had next week open already. Grabbed my Sunday slot and I'll add more items later. So while I thought they had a process for it I giess not and I'll just have to watch more closely.

I'm really bummed. DH does not get it and treats this like a normal shopping week and says we must stick to our normal (pre-corona) budget. Kiddos are home with us now and DH and I are plant based eating. It is nearly impossible to eat healthy and make separate meals for the kids. It was hard enough alone making lists before, but now I am beyond frustrated since so many things we eat are out of stock.
What really helped us was having DH do a grocery run. Either have your husband do the shopping once or at least accompany you. Then he'll experience the insanity himself or you can walk him through it while explaining why this is so hard. One trip opened DH's eyes, that's for sure! And all he was trying to buy was a regular week's grocery list. With my allergies, the list is a bit specific, so he can't just grab whatever is on the shelf. I'm trying to be creative in the kitchen and around the house, but there can be a fine line between "creative" and "nuts"!

It's people like this that are why things are like they are here...just take what you need...

We have found that the ice-cream cases are being hit pretty hard... We did get lucky and score some "Fat Buddy" ice cream sandwiches... DH and I love these... they are kinda old school, like us.... LOL....
Ice cream will settle itself out in a couple weeks when people start realizing it isn’t exactly calorie free 😂

So DH works in what is considered an essential service... So for us I am cooking as normally during the week..normal routine...

Now the weekend is a completely different ball game... Normally we are on the go all weekend... So what to cook... I find that we do alot of snacking around, and not really full on meals...

So here's a few things that I have put together for the weekend...so it's not so boring...

Chilled shrimp, Seafood salad, fish dip, crackers, or pita crackers, lemon wedges

Prosciutto and Mozzarella wraps, with some skinny bread-stick crackers, some side veggies

Meat and Cheese platters... with olives and pickles

Homemade chicken wings in the air fryer... side veggies and ranch/ blue cheese

Potato wedges in the air fryers, with toppings, cheese, bacon, green onions, ranch, blue cheese, or my homemade concoction of sour-cream, dill and a splash of lemon juice...

Baked potato bar

Taco's, Nachos,

As well we have tried to help out some of our local owned restaurant by ordering to go...

Looking for some suggestions for some appetizers ...

So DH works in what is considered an essential service... So for us I am cooking as normally during the week..normal routine...

Now the weekend is a completely different ball game... Normally we are on the go all weekend... So what to cook... I find that we do alot of snacking around, and not really full on meals...

So here's a few things that I have put together for the weekend...so it's not so boring...

Chilled shrimp, Seafood salad, fish dip, crackers, or pita crackers, lemon wedges

Prosciutto and Mozzarella wraps, with some skinny bread-stick crackers, some side veggies

Meat and Cheese platters... with olives and pickles

Homemade chicken wings in the air fryer... side veggies and ranch/ blue cheese

Potato wedges in the air fryers, with toppings, cheese, bacon, green onions, ranch, blue cheese, or my homemade concoction of sour-cream, dill and a splash of lemon juice...

Baked potato bar

Taco's, Nachos,

As well we have tried to help out some of our local owned restaurant by ordering to go...

Looking for some suggestions for some appetizers ...

Bacon wrapped asparagus...
Caprese salad skewers...
Deviled eggs...
Fruit salad skewers...
Cold fruit soup shooters...
Veggie egg rolls...
Fried ravioli with dipping sauce...
Mini quiche bites...

(I saw you had a lot of meat focused options, so I thought you might appreciate some non-meat ideas:)...

What really helped us was having DH do a grocery run. Either have your husband do the shopping once or at least accompany you. Then he'll experience the insanity himself or you can walk him through it while explaining why this is so hard. One trip opened DH's eyes, that's for sure! And all he was trying to buy was a regular week's grocery list. With my allergies, the list is a bit specific, so he can't just grab whatever is on the shelf. I'm trying to be creative in the kitchen and around the house, but there can be a fine line between "creative" and "nuts"!
Thanks y'all you have been so kind with suggestions and knowing that this is a new twist-up for us all. I caught him on a bad day, which is normal for many of us now. When we discussed groceries that I'll be getting today, he never brought it up again. He listened to what I listed off and didn't bat an eye. He knows he can "punch the wind" at something, but when it comes to this kind of logic he will look silly. He trusts that I'll put together good meals for everyone. I'm much too important to him and it bothers him terribly if I'm upset and he will listen to my side and be sure to understand where I'm coming from.

I haven't seen a pick up time available for groceries at Walmart in two weeks.

I had an instacart at BJs....wasn't going to be delivered for 3 or 4 days and that was ok, but then I thought we really don't need this and that, so I tried to delete. Seems you can't plus I was freaking my list of 17 items in the morning are in stock, by late afternoon, most out of stock. So I cancelled and thought let me make a new cart and try to get a early in the day slot even 6 days out. There was nothing. But all of a sudden there was an opening for a delivery in the next 5 hours, I grab it, but my free shipping code isn't working. It seems since I put it on the order that I cancelled, it's considered used and it's a one time thing. Grrrr paid the $15.....and waited, had some web site issues.... quick somebody shop before my items go out of stock.......Lost the two bread items, but got everything else. The big ticket items were 93% ground beef, chicken thighs and thin sliced steak ....only now are we raving how lucky we are to find meat in a store... I'm sure I could have gotten some kind of bread but we were being fussy.

I told my DD, I feel like this is FP day and all the good rides are disappearing as we speak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter