Guest experiences with daily room checks

Status
Not open for further replies.
We spent April 26-28 at the GF (third floor Conch Key building) and then April 28-May 4 at the YC Club Level. At both hotels we kept the room occupied sign on the door. At the Grand it was because I had my wedding dress hanging up and other important items laying out for the wedding day. Same thing at the YC.. We had a ton of wedding stuff sprawled all over the room so we just decided not to have housekeeping.

No one knocked on our door at either hotel. We were in our room from 9-11 AM on April 27th while my dress was steamed. We took frequent late afternoon breaks in our room at the YC and we were never disturbed. We did get a call about halfway through our stay at the YC asking if we wanted housekeeping. I asked for towels and someone met me at my door with new towels.

My parents were at the BC at the same time. They were taking an afternoon break/nap and asked housekeeping to come back in an hour. She said a short time later someone came and knocked on the door to do a "room check"

DH and I were at CBR from May 2-9. We kept the Room Occupied sign on the door when we were in the room and took it off when we left each day. We usually left the room between 10:30 and 11:30 and returned about 3:30 to 4:30 to get ready for dinner. No one disturbed us when the sign was on the door. So glad I didn't ruin my own vacation stressing about this.

We are at SSR right now (staying on our DVC points). Haven't seen hide nor hair of any housekeeping anywhere all week. We have no sign to put out on the door. Each day we have left the room around 9:30 and returned around 4. Trash has been emptied at some point. All is well.

We stayed at Riverside for a week, the usual schedule being out to a park around 8AM, return early afternoon for a rest (~2-3:30pm) and back out again for another park and dinner.

No DNR on the door between 8AM and 9PM except for that one hour and half period. Got a call as soon as I'd managed to fall asleep, security wanting to do a check - told them we'd always be in the rooms those hours and to come back anytime else then and for the duration of our stay. 15 minutes later a knock on the door, security's there, wants to do their check. Rude too, when I told them I'd just spoken to security and asked them to come back later he starts looking through his phone and says "It doesn't say that." - like that's going to make me want him traipsing around while I'm trying to sleep.

3 more days they called during that exact same time. Asked them not to again each time.

I've no use for this new, Orwellian policy or the incompetence with which it's been implemented/handled. I will not be returning to Riverside, and if it happens at another resort during my next stay I'll not be returning to Disney at all.

We had a four night stay in the Grand Floridian Villas. On Day 2, we had a knock on the door around 3:30PM with the statement "Housekeeping" and told him to "come in". He came in and told us he was there to collect our trash. We welcomed him into the villa, he gathered the trash from the kitchen and the bathroom and left shortly afterwards. He was very pleasant and we were not bothered at all by his entry. On Day 3, no one gathered our trash. On Day 4, the Housekeeper knocked around 9:30 to do our Trash and Towel service, we welcomed her into the villa (we were both done with our morning stuff) and she gathered up the towels and replaced them. She also gathered the trash and took it. She was very pleasant as well. Day 5, we left around 8:15 and vacated the villa. We did not feel intruded on nor bothered. Both staff who came to the room were very pleasant and professional.

We did not have a Room Occupied sign in our villa. We didn't ask for one either.

5 nites POR, left room by 10am most days, back late at nite. Used bolt lock and sign on door, while in room. Waived housekeeping. Never saw anyone.

Disturbed while napping at POP one time. Told him we were napping and to come back later. Shut the door.
Moved over to BCV and disturbed once. Trash was emptied every day and on the day we decided to take an afternoon nap, they knocked, woke us up.
I went to the door in my jammies. Told them we were napping and shut the door on him. Lol. His face was priceless.

We stayed at Coronado Springs in early January. I was there for a conference and took hubby with me. I put the occupied sign up becuase he wants to sleep and we didn’t need mousekeeping. They called and said they needed to do a security check becuase of that. They came by, scanned a barcode on the door jam and then left.

We were at BWV Sunday May 6 to Friday May 11. I don’t mind being interrupted when we’re in the room, but I’m uncomfortable with people going into our room when we aren’t there. We’re DVC, so we’re used to putting out the Do Not Disturb sign and not worrying about it.

Before we left, I printed and laminated a door hanger that said, in English and Spanish, “Knock anytime, but do not enter unless we are here to let you in.”

I also downloaded a free nannycam app that could be set to record when motion was detected, and set it up in the room when we got there. Finally, I had a poster printed that said, in English and Spanish, “Your activity is being monitored by video camera,” and I hung it on the mirror in the entryway of our 1 bedroom.

In case the motion detection feature didn’t work, I booby trapped the door so that I could see if someone entered while we were out.

Arrival day Sunday: No one knocked or entered.

Monday: As we left around 8:30, we noticed a Trash Man looking at us. We came back to the room for lunch and no one had entered, but as we were leaving after lunch we saw the same Trash Man looking at us again, so I asked him if he wanted to come in. He said that, yes, he did, and that he had not come in earlier because he had seen our sign. He emptied all the garbage cans and left.

Tuesday: We went to the parks in the morning and around 11:00 got a hit on the nannycam. A different Trash Man poked his head in, yelled “Hello” a few times, and took our trash.

Wednesday: The door hanger wasn’t having the desired effect, so I gathered all our trash as we were leaving and tied it up in one bag which I left in front of our door with a note taped to it that said, “This is ALL of our trash.” When we got home for lunch that day the trash was gone and our door had not been opened. Note that there was nothing wet or smelly in the trash I left in the hall. If there had been, I would have brought that portion to the trash room. While we were having lunch, a Mousekeeper knocked and asked if we needed towels (typical on Day 4 for DVC). I told her no but asked for some dishwasher soap. She gave it to me and never came in. There were no further knocks or entries that day.

Thursday: Once again I put the trash outside the door with the note “This is ALL of our trash,” and once again it was removed during the day and no one came into the room.

Departure day Friday: No knocks or entries. We left the room around 10:45 and removed our home-made door hanger at that time.

One-night at CSR this past weekend. Entered room for first time around 2pm, then was out until 10pm. Put RO sign on doorknob and didn't leave room or remove sign until 10am the next morning: no knocks from Housekeeping or Security. (I didn't expect there to be, since it was just a one-night stay, but you never know, so I'm reporting in!)

Stayed at CSR from May 7th-12th. Room Occupied sign was in room when we arrived, and stayed on the door semi well. We kept it on when we were in the room and latched the door too just in case, we usually decline housekeeping because we don’t need it but decided to just have housekeeping so we wouldn’t have to have the room checked otherwise.

We stay in the room till after 11-12 pm usually then go to the parks for a few hours then come back around 3-5 pm, till around 6-8 pm and then go to dinner/the parks again depending on the day. Housekeeping serviced our room when we left for the afternoon each time, and there were only a couple small things outside the norm that happened.

On Tues (our first morning), we slept in and while getting ready I heard what sounded like someone trying to open the door. When I went to look a minute later no one was there, but our room occupied sign was on the ground, a couple days later we heard a knock shortly after we woke up by the time one of us threw on some clothes to answer the door it looked like they had moved on, and finally on Thurs night we can back at around midnight (left the room around 7 pm) to find the motion sensor fan and a light on in the bathroom area which were both off when we left. It seems like someone came in, walked into the bathroom area and left. Neither of these were turned on at any other time when we came back to the room.

Overall the policy was a lot less invasive than I thought (maybe because we opted for housekeeping), and they did seem to respect the sign (it was only on when we were in the room), but I did feel uncomfortable knowing someone (other than housekeeping) randomly walked into our room one night, turned some things on and left.

We stayed in the Animal Kingdom Lodge 5 nights earlier this month. We were out of the room by 8:30 or 9:00 each morning and returned around 3:00 in the afternoon (leaving again around 6:00). Our room was serviced by housekeeping while we were out all but one day. And that day the housekeeper offered to come back when we left for our evening in the parks. We had no issues at all with the new policy.

My daughter and I were at All Star Music 4/23-4/27 and Pop from 4/27-5/3. We were offered the gift card for no housekeeping at All Stars and said yes. No one bothered us when we were in the room, no trash was ever picked up (we didn't have much and I took some unwanted food to the trash by the ice machine) and we needed no extra supplies. At Pop we had housekeeping. A couple days into our stay at Pop, my daughter went back to the room two days in a row for a nap in the afternoon as she had caught a cold. The room had not been serviced yet either day. but housekeeping came by while she was sleeping--she told them we didn't need any housekeeping. Late afternoon of the second day a housekeeper came by and asked to come in, I said sure but my daughter's sleeping-she has a cold. She asked if anyone was in the bathroom, I said no--she walked through the room, looked in the bathroom and left. It was a little weird.

Been in CSR for about 5 days now, never bothered once by daily check. It's been nice room occupied sign up we go to park for a few hours come back to room clean and put sign back up. Most days we head for park about 12/1pm and we've been in room a lot since I am in college and have homework.

We stayed at POP room #9410 2/25/18-3/3/18. We opted out of mousekeeping and received a gift card. Once during our stay we were in the room when a room check was made. A member of housekeeping simply walked thru the room glancing around to the bathroom glanced in and walked back out of the room. Seemed like it was very routine just checking for anything out of the ordinary. Was not at all bothersome.

We had a mixed experience this trip. Mostly good, except one time. Just to note that we always put out the sign and flip the latch whenever we are in a hotel room (always have).

We started at CSR for 2 nights. On check out day I took some luggage out to the van and saw housekeeping knocking on doors which was waking people up but they didn't have the hangers out. On my way back I saw them bypass our room even though it was check out day....we did have the hanger out.

Then we stayed at Kidani. We were in and out of the room, leaving most mornings around 8:30-9:00. We didn't see anyone most days though our garbage was removed. Then one afternoon we had come back to the room for a bit and were then getting ready to leave again. As we were putting on our shoes there was a big bang as someone tried to open our door and it hit the latch. We opened the door and they were there for a security check. I said that was fine but that they are supposed to knock first. He claimed that he did though we were standing right there and either he didn't or he did so lightly that it couldn't be heard (defeating the purpose of knocking). When I said that we were standing right there he said he knocked 3 times and announced himself as housekeeping...again, we heard nothing and were standing by the entry. I did go mention to a manager that I don't care what their policy is so long as they follow it themselves. She agreed with me and stated that they need to knock and announce themselves whether or not the hanger is out (ours was). She was going to bring it up with housekeeping to make sure they are following policy correctly.

We just returned on 5/12 from a 6 night stay at BWV and found housekeeping respectful of our privacy and inobtrusive. We left our villa everyday at about 9 AM and when we returned at various times the trash was always cleared away. We even stayed in our room for almost a full day since my husband unfortunately contracted an upper respiratory infection. The only time we left was from 7:45AM-9AM to visit Urgent Care and from 10 TO 11 to take a short walk and they came while we were gone. While we were in the room, we hung the "occupied" sign on the door and when we left, we removed it. Housekeeping was not an issue at all and I appreciated having the trash taken every day.

Stayed at Wilderness Lodge (Copper Creek 1 bedroom Villa but on cash) for 9 nights in May. Left the room early for rope drop almost every day and returned late afternoon to get ready for dinner.

Housekeeping came each day to clean while we were gone. We never saw any employees on the floor the whole trip. We did not have a room occupied sign in our room so we never used one. Our door had two latches on it, one like a deadbolt, one like a security latch. We used both when in the room, no one ever knocked.

We were at BWV May 11-18th. We put the room occupied sign on the door while we were getting ready every morning since I have a tendency to walk around in my undies. Most days we were out before 10am and the trash was emptied by the time we got back. One morning we were late leaving and we had a voice mail on the phone around 11am stating that they needed to do a security check on the room and asked if we would call and schedule a good time. I didn't call, just removed the sign when we left, and again the trash was gone by the time we got back.

We actually liked having the trash taken out every day, it didn't pile up nearly as much. I also noticed that they only touched the trash cans, they didn't move anything on the counters, even if it looked like trash (empty water bottles and napkins for example).

We stayed at Pop the first week of May (1st-8th). We opted out of housekeeping for the gift card. We put our trash outside the room several times to be gathered. Only one day were we there for the security check. We were having a late morning and not going into the parks until lunch time. A woman came around 10 a.m. She said she was there for a room check. She briefly stepped inside, gestured to the bathroom to ask who was in there. I said "my husband is taking a shower." She looked around for a moment and then left. She was polite and it was quick. We were not in the room for any of the other checks, although we assumed they were done since this is a new policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter